- A smartTV is a device that performs many of the functions of a computer. It can have a touchscreen, voice activation, internet access, and an operating system capable of running applications to play games or stream video.
- The LG C2 was voted the best overall Smart TV.
- If budget is a concern, the Amazon Fire TV may be for you.
It’s easy to think that smart TVs have been around forever. Long gone are the days of TV guides and flipping through channels, desperate to find something to watch. Smart TVs only started to make their way to consumers in 2007, but since then, their impact on the television world has been huge.
As apps and streaming services have become more popular and changed the way we consume television, smart TVs have spoiled us by putting anything we could ever want to watch right at our fingertips. And, while you can make any TV “smart,” thanks to products like Roku and Amazon’s Fire Stick, there are still excellent options for smart TVs on the market.
After weeks of testing, let’s take a look at our favorite smart TVs that you can buy today:
- Best Overall: LG C2
- Best Value: TCL 6-Series
- Best for Gaming: Samsung QN90B
- Best Budget-Friendly TV: Amazon Fire TV
- Best for 8K: Samsung QN900B
- Best Small TV: Vizio V-Series
- Best OLED: LG G2
- Best Design: Samsung The Frame
What is a Smart TV?
Before jumping into the best televisions, it will help to quickly ground you in what a smart TV is. The most basic definition for any smart TV is one that connects to the internet and supports downloadable applications for streaming services. We’re well past the days of HDTV antennas or the infamous “bunny ears” that we see from “old” movies and TV shows.
Smart TVs are very much what you expect from your tablets and smartphones, with the opportunity to connect to the internet and stream from the likes of Netflix, Paramount+, Disney+, and more. They are also home to voice assistant services like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa so you can control the television without touching a remote.
Best Overall: LG C2
- Great contrast, deep blacks, and over a billion colors
- 8 million self-lit OLED pixels
- Alpha 9 Gen 5 AI Processor 4K, exclusive to LG, intuitively adapts to what you're watching
- LG Game Optimizer mode
There are a lot of great smart televisions out there from all price points, but the LG C2 is the current king of the hill.
For just about every use, whether movies, TV shows, sports, or gaming, it excels with a gorgeous OLED panel that has fantastic viewing angles, near-perfect blacks, and arguably the best brightness levels at this price point.
Four separate HDMI 2.1 ports make the C2 an ideal companion for current-generation gaming consoles, as does the incredibly low input lag. Watching movies in “Home Cinema” mode is immersive, thanks to both Dolby Vision IQ and Dolby Atmos for a complete home theater experience.
The webOS smart interface has been refreshed for 2022 and it’s good, if not great. You’ll have access to your favorite streaming services and you can set up separate accounts for different members of the family. Voice assistance support Google, Amazon, and Apple are all part of the WebOS system for complete voice control with the LG C2.
You can pick up the LG C2 on Amazon here.
Best Value: TCL 6-Series
- Dolby Vision HDR
- 3840 x 2160 panel resolution
- Quantum dot technology (better brightness and wider color volume)
- Up to 240 localized zones for a striking contrast
The TCL 6-Series has been regarded as the best value in 4K televisions for a few years running, and for good reason. Between Roku’s outstanding smart TV system and TCL’s value pricing, the 6-Series is tough to beat.
Integration with Roku means the TCL has just about every streaming service on the planet available for download. That totals up to more than 700,000 shows and movies at your disposal for watching anytime. All you have to do is download the app to the Roku home screen, log in with your account, and you’re watching the latest season of Cobra Kai on Netflix in less than two minutes.
The 4K QLED display panel offers excellent contrast, color, and detail, thanks to Dolby Vision HDR. Mini-LED technology adds the strongest brightness at this price point and the same for viewing angles. THX-certified game mode means you have strong gaming credibility with the TCL and, with four HDMI inputs, you can hook up every console on the market today.
Grab the TCL 6-Series on Amazon here.
Best for Gaming: Samsung QN90B
- Samsung’s ultra-precise Quantum Mini LEDs
- Quantum HDR 32X
- Neo Quantum Processor 4K uses AI-based deep learning to analyze content and optimize it to full 4K
- Ultra viewing angle
For the best in smart TV gaming, the Samsung QN90B is tough to beat. Available in display sizes ranging from 43 to 85 inches, there’s something here for everyone and every room in the house.
As soon as you can connect a PlayStation or Xbox console, the Samsung immediately detects the connection and switches into Game Mode. The screen now shows you information about HDR, frame rate, and more. There’s even support to switch aspect ratios from 21:9 or 32:9 if you want to emulate playing on a monitor.
On top of the already impressive gaming features, support for NVIDIA’s G-Sync, AMD’s FreeSync Premium Pro, and variable refresh rate (VRR) all add credibility to the Samsung QN90B as a strong gaming television.
Beyond television, Samsung’s smart interface “Smart Hub” gives you quick access to all of the movies, shows, games, and music you could want.
You can find it on Amazon here.
Best Budget-Friendly TV: Amazon Fire TV
- Stunning 4K Ultra HD quality with brighter colors.
- Scroll, launch, and control content with Alexa
- Watch movies and TV episodes from popular networks
- Support for HD, HDR 10, HLG, and Dolby Digital Plus
- Play games, listen to music, or watch live TV anytime
Competition for the best budget-friendly smart TV is fierce, but the best smart interface in the budget category belongs to the Amazon Fire TV. For the price, you get a strong 4K Ultra HD display complete with HDR 10 and HLG for the clearest picture below a $500-600 price point.
The best aspect of the Fire TV is its hands-free compatibility, thanks to built-in microphones. This enables you to turn the TV on and off as well as find and launch content without having to touch a remote.
Amazon’s Fire TV interface is very visual with a fantastic interface that quickly helps you locate and choose nearly one million movies and TV episodes. All of your favorite streaming services come together in one place so you can see new episodes and releases.
Three HDMI inputs support video game consoles and an HDMI eARC port allows for adding a soundbar or full-scale audio equipment for improved sound.
Get yours on Amazon here.
Best for 8K: Samsung QN900B
- INFINITY SCREEN W/ SLIM ONE CONNECT: Escape into the nearly edge-to-edge screen; The Samsung Neo QLED 8K features the expansive Infinity Screen with a near-invisible bezel and the Attachable Slim One Connect that keeps your cables out of sight
- QUANTUM MATRIX PRO W/ MINI LEDS: Experience out-of-this-world detail on a screen made brilliant by a universe of tiny lights; With Quantum Matrix Technology Pro, a staggering grid of Samsung's own Quantum Mini LEDs unleash a billion colors with ultra-fine precision for intense contrast
- NEURAL QUANTUM PROCESSOR 8K: Behind the scenes, the ultra-high performance 8K processor uses 20 neural networks to deliver our most immersive picture yet, with intuitive Smart Hub controls, Atmos sound, exquisite 8K upscaling and more*
- QUANTUM HDR 64X | 48X*: Indulge your senses in the extreme brilliance of lifelike colors across the full spectrum; Quantum HDR 64X technology sets the bar with an extraordinary range of contrast that brings intensely rich details to the movies and shows you love in HDR**
- DOLBY ATMOS & OBJECT TRACKING SOUND PRO: Be enveloped by the spectacular cinematic surround sound of Dolby Atmos built right in; From the strategically placed speakers behind the screen, hear the rain from above and the explosion from beyond
The price tag isn’t for the faint of heart, but if you want the best 8K smart TV on the market today, the Samsung QN900B is the smart TV to beat. Not only will you future-proof yourself against the next decade of television, but you’ll have everything you need as far as smart TV capability.
Amazon Alexa, Google Voice Assistant, and Samsung Bixby are all compatible with voice control. The Smart Hub interface is very user-intuitive, making it easy to not only add your favorite streaming services but also to navigate quickly, thanks to the 8K processor.
Of course, for the price, you want a display that really shines, and the infinity screen on the QN900B will do that and more. QLED 8K technology offers some of the best details you’ll find on a home television today with more than a billion lifelike colors at its disposal. Upscaling also benefits all of your poor 4K and 1080p content so it looks as good as ever on the Samsung display.
Pick up yours on Amazon here.
Best Small TV: Vizio V-Series
- 4K Ultra HD - Over 8 million pixels for breathtaking detail. 4 times the resolution of 1080p!
- Dolby Vision Bright Mode - You’ll see even more lifelike accuracy, color saturation, black detail, and brightness in Dolby Vision Bright picture mode, thanks to color pixel tuning that ramps up...
- Full Array Backlight - LEDs are evenly distributed across the screen's backlight for superior light uniformity and picture performance.
- IQ Active Processor - Delivers superior picture processing, including a powerful and intelligent 4K upscaling engine that enhances your favorite HD entertainment in spectacular 4K quality.
- Active Pixel Tuning - Intelligent pixel-level brightness adjustments that tune contrast levels frame by frame in over 2000 zones of the screen for superior visual contrast.
It’s a battle between the Vizio V-Series and the Roku 4-Series for the best small TV, but thanks to its better remote, the 43” Vizio V-Series wins the day. Vizio’s smart interface, aka Vizio Smartcast, is well laid-out, and instead of the tile-like appearance of Roku, it opts for a more visually appealing look that’s instantly familiar to smartphone users familiar with app icons.
Download the Vizio app to your smartphone and it instantly becomes a remote with the ability to control every facet of your television and then some.
When you’re ready to watch a movie, a 4K Ultra 8 and Dolby Vision display provides strong colors, good black detail, and impressive brightness. Added support for HDR10/10+ ups the price to feature value.
One big benefit over TCL models in this price range is that the Vizio is smart home-ready for Apple HomeKit, Alexa, and Google Home.
Grab the Vizio V-Series on Amazon here.
Best OLED: LG G2
- 8 million self-lit OLED pixels provide stunning depth and clarity in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision HDR
- Gallery Edition hangs closely to the wall and displays art photography when not in use
- Ideal for gamers with a VRR, ALLM, and Game Optimizer Mode
- Alexa-enabled with streaming support for HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and more
If you want a step above the popular QLED screen without making the pricey jump to 8K, OLED smart TVs are the best choice. OLED or organic light-emitting diode is best seen and felt on the LG G2.
Available in 55 to 83 inches in size, it’s hard to describe the picture as anything but incredible. Everything from the contrast to color to Dolby Cinema mode makes the G2 a sight to behold with movies and TV shows. LG’s brightness booster max tech gets you the brightest possible picture ever found on an OLED television panel.
LG’s Game Optimizer includes NVIDIA G-Sync, AMD Freesync, and VRR for a gaming experience that makes use of every pixel in the best possible way.
With webOS22, you get a super user-friendly smart TV experience that makes it easy to find and start watching any movie or TV show you can think of, as long as it’s on a streaming service.
Check it out on Amazon here.
Best Design: Samsung The Frame
- View and share personal art in ART MODE
- QLED 4K TV with 100% Color Volume
- Anti-reflection and matte display limits distraction
- Hang the TV flush against a wall
- Smart TV with Alexa built-in
When you want to give up on all of the acronyms like QLED, OLED, 4K, 8K, and more, look to Samsung's The Frame as the best smart TV around.
This smart TV is something different entirely as it can display hundreds of works of art when it’s not in use as a 4K television. Want to change the wood frame to better match the decor of your home? You can do that, and you can also add the no-gap wall mount so it’s flush against your wall. This is absolutely one of the most unique smart TVs ever made available to consumers.
Of course, you still get some fancy smart TV features with The Frame, including built-in support for Amazon Alexa and TIZEN smart TV. Your favorite streaming apps are one click away so you can get all of the joy of Netflix when you’re watching, and then display your own copy of the Mona Lisa when you’re not.
Get your Samsung The Frame on Amazon here.
What to Know Before Buying a Smart TV
Before you buy any smart TV, there are a few things you should consider. The first and most important is which operating system do you want to use.
Roku is undoubtedly the most popular in today’s smart TV world, but Amazon’s Fire TV, Samsung Smart Hub, and Vizio’s Smartcast all have their pluses and minuses. Of course, you can’t discount Google TV either, though not yet on TV models we’d consider “best of” in any particular category.
Roku and Amazon are going to offer the most programming, with anywhere between 700,000 and one million shows and movies available. Ultimately, it will come down to interface and user experience. Do you enjoy one user experience over another? Roku is often thought of as the most basic of the bunch, with its heavy emphasis on its tile-based home screen, whereas Amazon, Vizio, and Samsung are more visual.
The second thing to consider is what type of features you want. Is gaming your primary use for television? If so, choose a smart TV that includes HDMI 2.1 inputs, VRR, NVIDIA G-Sync, etc.
Separately, do you prefer QLED or OLED? Prices can vary wildly between these two, so if you want to go less expensive but still great, QLED is the better choice. That said, if you want the best quality and future-proofing, OLED is the way to go, but you’ll have to accept some sticker shock.
Using a Smart TV: What it’s Like
Using any smart TV, regardless of the operating system, is just pure joy. Any smart TV, no matter the quality, is such a far cry from TVs ten years ago, never mind two or three decades old.
After testing these TVs over the course of a few weeks and testing all of them with Netflix and Cobra Kai, it’s easy to say that the LG C2 is the best overall winner. A superb combination of picture quality, features, and webOS as an interface makes it an easy choice.
However, as a whole, Roku remains the best interface overall for smart TV. It’s okay to sacrifice a fancy layout and instead focus on quickly searching, downloading, and launching apps, for which Roku is best in class.
Gaming excels on many of these TVs, but the LG C2 and Samsung QN90B are excellent, in particular.
After putting all of these smart TVs through their paces, it was clear that the LG C2 is the best smart TV on the market today. It simply offers the best picture, price, and smart system that you can purchase right now.