- The web scripting virus is really dangerous malware that not only affects your devices but web browser security.
- The difference between a Persistent viruses and Non-persistent viruses are Non-persistent viruses are used by hackers for a subtle attack.
- Persistent viruses are more obvious in nature and the victim knows right away they have a virus.
A web scripting virus is a dangerous malware that can negatively affect your device and web browser’s security.
Whether spread through infected web pages or other means, this computer virus can steal data, damage files, and interfere with normal device use.
Thankfully, there are prevention strategies to protect your computer and personal data from this malicious code. Explore the effects of the virus, symptoms of an infection, and top leading hacker prevention tips today.
How the Web Scripting Virus Works
This virus attempts to breach your web browser’s security and exploit its vulnerabilities. The goal of this type of attack is to steal your personal data. You may or may not realize this is happening, depending on the type of attack.
Like most computer viruses, web scripting viruses self-replicate their code and distribute it into other programs and devices. Once it breaches the defenses of your web browser, it makes minor or major changes to it. Minor examples include simply stealing your cookies.
Major changes include shutting down your device, changing your browser, and replicating itself across your email contact list.
There are, of course, different types of malware. Malware is a general term to describe any malicious attack on a computing device. Another type of malware, called a worm, also can infect your devices.
Common Types of Web Scripting Viruses
While many different web scripting viruses are being created and spread by hackers, most can be divided into two categories:
- Persistent viruses: These malicious code attacks are immediately obvious and dangerous. They directly breach your browser’s security and steal enough information to impersonate you. In many cases, they can also shut down your device.
- Non-persistent viruses: A hacker may use a non-persistent virus for a more subtle attack. These web scripting alternatives operate in the background and can continue to operate for some time without being noticed.
Symptoms of a Web Scripting Virus
Because there are two types of web scripting viruses and many different versions and effects of each, the symptoms of an attack can vary. Here are some common symptoms that you may be a victim of a web scripting virus and have compromised web browser security.
Look at the homepage of your browser. If it’s changed unexpectedly without performing an update, then it may be a sign that a virus has breached your cybersecurity protection. Not every virus does this, so be sure to check other signs to ensure you don’t have a non-persistent virus operating in the background.
Changed Desktop Background
Another sign that your device is infected is a new desktop background. Again, this could be caused by a software update but shouldn’t happen on its own.
Does your browser redirect you to sites that are irrelevant, unhelpful, or even appear to be harmful? This is a major sign of a web scripting virus. Don’t click on anything on a site if you’ve been redirected there and believe it to be malicious.
Device Shuts Down Automatically
Some web scripting effects, particularly persistent ones, will shut down your device. You may or may not be able to turn it back on after an attack. Either way, it’s important to verify whether your browser has been compromised.
Goals of a Web Scripting Attack
These attacks can be used to disrupt your daily activity, steal your personal identity, or even create extensive network safety and speed issues. Regardless of the scope of the attack, it represents an inconvenient issue that can require professional antivirus support.
A hacker can use a web scripting virus to perform several malicious attacks. The goal of some attacks is simply to take cookies and private information for sale or ransomware purposes. Other attacks use stolen cookies to impersonate the user. Identity theft can allow a cybercriminal to perform several online actions using your information.
Finally, some web scripting viruses are the first step in a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. In a DDoS attack, your device (and likely others with a web scripting virus infection) are used to flood networks and create traffic jams for malicious purposes.
Don’t wait until a web scripting virus has infected your computer to have the infection removed. Instead, these prevention strategies can reduce the risk of stolen information and a DDoS attack. Try one or both of these cybersecurity strategies as you browse the web.
Web Vulnerability Scanners
These scanners identify any web apps, infrastructure, or browsing activities that could put you at risk of a web scripting attack. They actively search across different vectors to determine if any attacks are likely to occur.
The Best Antivirus Software for a Web Scripting Virus
Another key prevention and web browser security step is using one of the latest antivirus software options. Highly rated antivirus protection can actively monitor cybersecurity threats, prevent attacks, and notify you of any suspicious or malicious behavior.
Bitdefender is one of the most highly rated options for PC antivirus defense. It comes with banking protection, enhanced defense against ransomware, and a VPN. The Active Do Not Track feature in particular can reduce the risk of a web scripting incident.
- Speed-optimized antivirus protection for Windows PC
- NEW: Anti-tracker – keep browsing data private, view and manage which sites can collect your data
- IMPROVED: Safe Online Banking – a unique, dedicated browser secures your transactions; Advanced Threat Defense – uses smart behavioral detection to monitor apps in real-time; Wi-Fi Security...
- Also includes: Real-Time Data Protection, Network Threat Prevention, Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection, Social Network Protection, Game/Movie/Work Modes, Anti-Phishing, Anti-Fraud, Rescue Mode,...
Norton is another software solution that scores well in independent tests. The Data Protector feature is particularly useful to prevent and get rid of malware, while the bonus features offer a broad range of support. One of the biggest downsides to this software option is that it can be expensive, particularly if you have multiple devices.
- ONGOING PROTECTION Download instantly & install protection for your PC or Mac in minutes!
- REAL-TIME THREAT PROTECTION Advanced security protects against existing and emerging malware threats, including ransomware and viruses, and it won’t slow down your device performance
- PASSWORD MANAGER Easily create, store, and manage your passwords, credit card information and other credentials online – safely and securely
- SMART FIREWALL Monitors communications between your computer and other computers and blocks unauthorized traffic, helping protect your personal files and financial information
- 2GB SECURE PC CLOUD BACKUP store and help protect important files as a preventative measure to hard drive failures, stolen devices and even ransomware***
McAfee antivirus comes with a virus protection pledge, convenient interface, and dependable firewall to block malicious code. It’s offered for all operating systems, including Windows, iOS, macOS, and Android. There are, however, fewer features for Mac antivirus and some tests failed to protect against particular malware attacks.
How to Remove a Web Scripting Virus
It’s not too late to protect yourself if you’ve discovered you’re the victim of a web scripting attack. You can still follow these steps to remove a virus. Consider upgrading your antivirus protection after removing a virus to shore up your malware protection and device safety in the future.
- MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS IS ESSENTIAL SECURITY FOR YOUR PC - complrehensive, simple solution that protects you online
- AWARD-WINNING ANTIVIRUS - rest easy knowing McAfee's protecting you from the latest threats
- BANK, SHOP AND CONNECT WORRY-FREE - be warned about risky websites before you click
- SAFEGUARD YOUR HOME NETWORK - block malicious traffic from gaining access to your network withour firewall
- 24/7 SUPPORT - get free customer support via phone, chat or online
Reset Your Browser
Sometimes resetting your browser is all that’s needed to remove a virus. Perform this action to see if it removes a persistent web scripting attack. For a non-persistent issue, you’ll likely need to search your computer with an antivirus program to determine whether the reset worked.
Reinstall Your Browser
Consider uninstalling and reinstalling your browser. This is another strategy to get rid of harmful malware and browse virus free.
Update Your Antivirus Program and Browser
An outdated antivirus program may be inadequate to protect against the latest attacks. Stay ahead of cybercriminals with the latest version of your antivirus software, operating system, and browser.
Are you interested in learning about other computer viruses? Check out our complete guide!
- ALAC vs FLAC: What Are The Differences?
- The Best Sublimation Printer: Reviewed for 2022 – And Best Deals
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260: A Full Review – Is it Worth it?