- ITVX is one of the biggest U.K.-based streaming services, offering a variety of content including popular shows like Love Island and Family Guy.
- To access ITVX on an LG Smart TV from America, you will need to use a VPN to bypass the geo-restrictions.
- VPNs are legal in most jurisdictions, but streaming geo-restricted content may go against the user agreement of streaming services like ITVX.
Overall, the popularity of streaming services in the United Kingdom doesn’t look too different to the U.S. The big names are Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+, and others you’re familiar with. However, the U.K. does have its own brands of entertainment that offer an alternative to the shows you’re used to watching. One of the biggest U.K.-based streaming services is ITVX (previously “ITV Hub”.) This platform is home to all the content the ITV network produces, such as Love Island, Broadchurch, Vera, and familiar favorites like Family Guy. Accessing this service isn’t that simple if you’re American, though, as the content is geo-restricted. In this article, we’re going to reveal the options you have for streaming ITVX on your LG smart TV. Let’s begin!
How to Watch ITVX on an LG Smart TV
Of course, U.K. Residents have it easier when it comes to streaming ITVX, as they can simply download the app on their device (or tune into live programming on any of ITV’s local channels.) But finding a way to tune in from America is a little more complicated. For any device, including smart TVs, you’re going to have to make use of a VPN to access geo-restricted content.
What Is a VPN?
In simple terms, a VPN (or virtual private network) is a connection between your device and a remote server, that “masks” your IP address. Many use VPNs for security purposes, as they provide encryption for your data, but people also use them to “trick” public networks into thinking that you’re accessing them from a different location. In this way, VPNs are commonly used to access region-locked content that would normally be off-limits.
Are VPNs Legal?
In most jurisdictions, including the U.S., using VPNs is perfectly legal. However, streaming geo-restricted content does go against the user agreement of most streaming services. Therefore, if ITVX detects you’re using a VPN, they may block your access and/or suspend your account. It’s best to clear your browser’s cache and cookies before using a VPN and try a free trial first to determine if the VPN works with ITVX.
How to Download ITVX on an LG Smart TV
First things first, you’re going to need a VPN. Some are free, but these often come with limited capacity for streaming. To cope with the bandwidth requirements, we recommend choosing NordVPN. This is a highly-rated VPN that’s fast enough to stream HD content. Currently, you can get 67% off the 2-year plan, and a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with it.
To connect your smart TV to NordVPN, this is the process:
- Download the native NordVPN app through your TV.
- Open the app, and log in using your NordVPN details. You’ll receive a number to validate your account on a phone or PC. Or, simply scan the QR code to verify.
- When prompted, permit for NordVPN to set up a VPN connection.
- On the home screen, select “Connect now” to automatically pick a server, or choose a country from the “All countries” list, i.e., “United Kingdom.”
That’s it! Now your smart TV is connected to a U.K. Server through your VPN, meaning that you can now download ITVX from the app menu. You can create an ITVX account from here or through their website. Note you’ll need to enter a U.K. postcode during signup to create your account. If you’re signing up on the web, simply follow the steps below:
- Go to the ITVX website and click the profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Enter your email and hit “Continue.”
- Follow the prompts to enter a password, your date of birth, and a postcode (use a U.K. one here.)