- Both the Dream Router and Dream Machine are Wi-Fi devices that enable users to connect to the Internet.
- The Dream Machine uses the OS Console and has the capability to run Linux, which means one can connect cameras and other Internet devices. The Dream Router, however can access all the features and applications from UniFi.
- With 128GB and the ability for more storage with a SD card, the Dream Router has more storage capabilities than the Dream Machine, which has 16GB.
The internet has become the backbone of our society. Meanwhile, Wi-Fi devices with amazing features are being introduced to resolve user problems. The Dream Router and Dream Machine are two such devices. The Dream Router is a device that enables its users to connect their local area network with a wide area network like the public internet.
On the other hand, the Dream Machine is an all-in-one security and privacy solution that provides features like a built-in VPN, ad blocker, firewall, and parental control system. It also has a USB port that can be used to connect external storage devices.
Let’s discuss the Dream Router and Dream Machine, compare what they have to offer, and help you figure out which router is best for you.
Dream Router vs. Dream Machine: A Side-by-Side Comparison
|Dream Router||Dream Machine|
|Ethernet Ports||4 x 1GB LAN||4 x 1GB LAN|
|WAN||1 x 1GB WAN||1 x 1GB WAN|
|Price Comparison||$288.49 (Amazon)||$469.99 (Amazon)|
|PoE||2 x 802.3 af||N/A|
|Maximum PoE Output||15.4 W per port||N/A|
|Processor||Dual Core A53 1.35Ghz||Quad Core A57 1.7Ghz|
|Storage Capacity||128GB, can be extended using an SD card||16GB fixed, non-extendable|
|Warranty||2 year warranty||2 year warranty|
|Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi 6 ax||Wi-Fi 5 ax|
|Device Weight||1.15 Kg||1 Kg|
|UniFi Port?||Yes (Network and one app only)||N/A|
|UniFi Access?||Yes (Network and one app only)||N/A|
|UniFi Connect?||Yes (Network and one app only)||N/A|
|Full IDS/IPS Speed||950 Mbps||850 Mbps|
Key Differences Between the Dream Router and Dream Machine
Let’s go over the primary differences between the Dream Router and Dream Machine below.
Operating System and Connectivity
The key distinction between the Dream Router and Dream Machine is that the Dream Router is a device that makes use of an OS Console. It also has the capability to run Linux, which enables its users to connect to their local area network with a vast area network, like the internet.
It lets you connect direct cameras, telephones, and other internet user devices. However, with the Dream Router, you can access and run all the applications from UniFi. On the other hand, the Dream Machine allows only network applications.
Both devices have different Wi-Fi compatibility. For instance, the Dream Router supports Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, but the Dream Machine supports old Wi-Fi 5 ax. This difference in Wi-Fi connectivity causes huge Wi-Fi speed differences, with Wi-Fi 6 being faster.
It also affects the bandwidth control and transfer rate, which is why the Dream Router has approximately 950 Mbps speed handling, while the Dream Machine has only 850 Mbps.
Processors play an essential role. The Dream Machine is more advanced than the dream router as it has Quad Core A57 1.7Ghz, which is a four-core processor that is more capable than Dual Core A53 1.35Ghz, the two-core processor of the Dream Router. So, the Dream Machine performs much better than the Dream Router.
The Dream Router has 128GB of SSD storage, allowing you to save the CCTV footage directly to the Dream Router. However, you can also extend this storage by using an SD card. The Dream Machine gets a limited 16GB of space, so you have to wipe the previous data to store the next one.
Both devices use differing amounts of power. The Dream Router consumes up to 51.37W of power, while the Dream Machine only consumes 26W of power. This power difference is due to storage capacity, processors, PoE, and other factors. The Dream Machine is more power-efficient but has fewer features.
Power Over Ethernet (PoE)
The PoE is also called power over ethernet, which means there are ethernet LAN cables that carry the required amount of current to each device that is connected to it.
The Dream Router supports 2 x 802.3 of PoE with a maximum of 15.4W per port or power, but the Dream Machine doesn’t have this feature.
UniFi Port, Access, and Connection
The Dream Router is equipped with an UniFi port, enabling you to connect and access the device with only a single app. On the other hand, this particular function is absent on the Dream Machine.
Both devices have different price ranges due to their features. The price of the Dream Machine is $469.99 on Amazon, while the price of the Dream Router is approximately $288.49 on Amazon.
- Integrated 4x4 Enterprise AP
- The UDM delivers the requisite high‐performance Wi‐Fi and fits into high‐density environments as part of the overall enterprise network.
- The UDM offers advanced firewall policies and persistent threat management to act as an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) and Intrusion Detection System (IDS).
- Integrated Cloud Key
- The UDM provides a managed 4-port Gigabit switch so you can easily add network storage or wired client devices.
Dream Router vs. Dream Machine: Overview
Ubiquiti Networks, an American technology company, has been in the business for over a decade.
The Dream Router is a complex and powerful gadget that offers a fast and stable internet connection. It features four Ethernet connections for connecting your local area network to a vast area network. On the contrary, the Dream Machine is a more straightforward device that connects your local area network to the internet. It also has four Ethernet connections but no UniFi port.
However, if you require a large memory device to keep large amounts of data, such as video footage and logs, you should certainly go with the Dream Router. This device has 128GB of storage space and additional capacity can be added with an SD card. On the other hand, the Dream Machine has limited space and can’t store large amounts of data.
Dream Router vs. Dream Machine: 6 Must-Know Facts
- The Dream Router has UniFi port access and connectivity options.
- The Dream Router supports up to 128GB of internal storage, and you can increase this with an SD card.
- The Dream Machine has higher processing power than the Dream Router.
- The Dream Router supports Wi-Fi 6 while the Dream Machine supports Wi-Fi 5, which is slower.
- The Dream Router has a PoE port option, while the Dream Machine doesn’t have that option.
- The Dream Machine is more expensive than the Dream Router.
Dream Router vs. Dream Machine: Which One is Better for You?
The Dream Router wins the match as it has more storage space for less money.
The Dream Router also supports the latest Wi-Fi 6, giving you maximum performance and device connectivity. Plus, has a higher DS/IPS speed as compared to the Dream Machine, so you can expect a more efficient device.
If you’re shopping for a new router, we’ve done the research for you!
- The 5 Best Routers For Xfinity Internet Xfinity users, check here!
- The 6 Best Routers For Security If privacy and security is important to you, we’ve selected 6 routers for your protection.
- The 7 Best Wireless Routers Wireless routers offer the convenience of Internet without a power source. Check out our list of wireless routers here.