- Discord notifications can be useful but sometimes the sound can be a nuisance.
- You can turn off specific notification sounds and user notifications on the computer application, but not on the mobile app.
- Turning off channel, server, or user notifications will disable the alerts themselves as well.
Notifications can be useful in helping to keep us updated on whatever demands our attention. Whether it’s a message from your friends, a workplace alert, or a reminder about that errand you almost forgot, seeing and hearing that notification pop up is usually very welcome. However, sometimes the sound can be less novel and more of a nuisance. If you’re wondering how to turn off Discord notification sounds, we’re going to show you exactly how to do this on whichever platform you’re using. Let’s dive in!
How to Turn Off Discord Notification Sounds on a Computer
If you’re using Discord on a Mac or PC, the process for turning off the notification sound is the same. All you have to do is follow the quick steps outlined next.
Step 1: Open Discord and Log in
First, you need to open the Discord application in a web browser or on your computer and enter your login details.
Step 2: Go to Settings
Next, you’ll want to click the gear icon in the bottom-left corner to open the settings menu.
Step 3: Turn Off Notification Sounds
Lastly, if you click “Notifications” under the “App Settings” menu on the left, you’ll see a toggle switch for disabling notification sounds. You can either hit this or scroll down and turn off specific notification sounds individually, whichever you prefer. The process couldn’t be easier!
How to Turn Off Discord Notification Sounds on the Mobile App
There’s a good chance you’re using Discord on your mobile device and not a computer, since this is an extremely popular way to use the app. If so, you can use the steps below to turn off notification sounds. For illustrative purposes, we’re using Android, but the process is essentially the same for an iPhone.
Step 1: Open the Discord App and Log in
As before, open the Discord app and log in with your details.
Step 2: Go to Settings
To go to the settings menu on mobile, tap the smiley face icon in the bottom right.
Step 3: Open Notification Settings
Next, tap the “Notifications” tab, and then tap “Get notifications outside of Discord”. This will open up a further settings menu, where you can switch alerts to silent instead.
Alternatively, you can locate the Discord app within your “Apps” folder in your Settings app on the home screen. This will bring you to the same page. Unfortunately, though, you can’t disable individual sounds on the mobile app.
How to Turn Off Discord Notification Sounds From Users, Channels, or Servers
If you don’t want to disable all notification sounds but only those from specific channels, servers, or users, you can do this as well. However, note that you can’t mute individual users’ sounds on the mobile app. This will also turn off all pop-ups and unread message alerts, as well as the sounds. Take a look at these next steps to learn how to do this.
How to Turn Off Alerts From a User
This is fairly easy to do on a computer. Simply follow the step below.
Step 1: Right-Click a User’s Name
To disable sounds from particular users, right-click their name and then select the desired period for the mute to last.
How to Disable Notification Sounds From a Channel or Server
To turn off notification sounds from specific channels or servers, use these steps.
Step 1: Right-Click or Long-Press the Server or Channel Name
Simply right-click or long-press the server or channel name (depending on the platform you’re using) and select the desired option. You can turn off mention alerts (when someone tags your name) altogether, by role, “@everyone” and “@here” tag notifications, or all message alerts.
If you’re getting annoyed by the sound of your Discord notifications, you can easily turn this off on both desktop and mobile devices by following these steps:
- On a desktop, open and log in to Discord.
- Then, click the gear icon in the bottom left to go to the settings menu, open the “Notifications” tab under “App Settings”, and then either turn off all notification sounds or specific alerts as you desire.
- You can also mute an individual user by right-clicking their name, or turn notifications off for a server or channel in a similar fashion.
- For mobile, you can log in to Discord and tap the smiley face icon in the bottom right. Then, open the “Notifications” tab and tap “Get notifications outside of Discord”.
- Here, you can switch notifications to silent.
- Instead of this, you can find the Discord app in your Settings app, but the page is identical. You can’t mute specific users or disable specific sounds on a mobile device.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Ink Drop/Shutterstock.com.