We’re in the middle of a gaming renaissance. With smart devices, game streaming, and VR, there are more ways to play games than ever before. The year 2020 will be remembered in many ways, but one way that stands out is how it shifted the way we game. With much of the world on lockdown due to the pandemic, gaming became a safe and enjoyable way to pass time. From console games to mobile games to board games, people found ways to come together and play virtually. During this time, we saw the emergence of some of the year’s top games.
2020 in Gaming
2020 was an amazing year for gaming, as it brought some of the most ground-breaking, innovative, and entertaining titles we’ve ever seen. From FPS games to puzzle adventures, there were plenty of exciting experiences on both PCs and consoles. While some of these games were incredibly popular at launch, others have since faded into obscurity. That said, there are still a few that we’re all still playing today and have managed to become true classics.
In 2020, video game sales increased substantially, with the global gaming market valued at more than $139.9 billion, a 12% growth from the previous year. Mobile games accounted for more than $73.8 billion, or 58% of the market, followed by computer games ($33.1 billion) and console games ($19.7 billion). This increase in revenue was largely due to the rise of mobile gaming and the continued success of the industry’s most popular franchises. It’s clear that people are increasingly turning to video games as a form of entertainment, and the fact that these top 10 games are still popular today speaks volumes about their quality and appeal.
Top 10 Games from 2020 We’re Still Playing
2020 was an incredible year for gamers, with a plethora of new and exciting titles to explore. From indie gems to massive open-world adventures, there was no shortage of titles to keep us entertained throughout the year. While there have been plenty of great new releases, some of the year’s biggest hits are still being enjoyed today. From immersive RPGs to intense action games, here are the top 10 games from 2020 that we’re still playing.
10. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is a remaster of the classic Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater games released in 1999 and 2000. The remaster was released in 2020 and quickly became a fan favorite. The game allows players to play as either one of the original pro skaters from the game or create a unique character to take on the role of a skateboarder.
The game features updated graphics and improved gameplay that captures the original game’s spirit. The levels have been updated to feature more detail, and there are new challenges, missions, and collectibles for players to discover. The game also includes an online multiplayer mode, which allows up to four players to compete against each other for the highest score.
The gameplay of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 is relatively simple: navigate your character through various courses, doing tricks along the way to score points. The original soundtrack was replaced with a mix of original songs from popular artists, giving the game an up-to-date feel.
|Available Platforms||Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S|
|Released||September 4, 2020|
- Break skateboarding boundaries, show off your own style, and be part of the next generation of skaters and creators with Tony hawk's Pro skater 1 + 2.
- Skate as the legendary Tony hawk and the original Pro roster, plus new pros
- Hit insane trick combos with the iconic handling of the Tony hawk's Pro skater series
- Play all the original game modes and go head-to-head with local 2-player modes
- All the Pro skaters, levels and tricks are back and fully-remastered, plus more.
9. Demon’s Souls
Demon's Souls is a remake of the classic PlayStation 3 game of the same name. It was released on November 12, 2020, exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console. This remastered version of the game features improved visuals, smoother controls, and faster loading times than its original counterpart. The game is set in the fictional world of Boletaria, a dark fantasy realm that has been overrun by demons
Its unique blend of challenge and reward sets Demon’s Souls apart from the rest of the games in 2020. Every enemy you face has the potential to be an epic battle, as each one poses its own unique set of challenges and rewards. The player is presented with various weapons and armor to choose from, allowing them to customize their build to fit any combat situation. As players progress, they can upgrade their characters and acquire powerful spells, rings, and weapons to help them on their journey.
At its core, Demon’s Souls is a classic action RPG with a lot of depth. Players must carefully manage their resources, craft powerful items, upgrade weapons and armor, and use strategy to overcome difficult enemies and bosses. Whether you’re playing through the campaign for the first time or jumping back in for a second playthrough, there’s something for everyone in Demon’s Souls.
|Publisher||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
|Available Platforms||PlayStation 5|
- Discover where the journey began - Experience the original brutal challenge, completely remade from the ground up. All presented in stunning visual quality with enhanced performance, this is the world...
- Become the Slayer of Demons - Venture to the northern kingdom of Boletaria – a once prosperous land of knights, now beset with unspeakable creatures and ravenous demons. Meet strange characters,...
- Face the world’s greatest warriors in ferocious PVP combat - With online invasions adding to the danger of your quest. Or play cooperatively by summoning allies to aid in your fight against the...
8. The Last of Us Part II
The Last of Us Part II is an action-adventure game set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity is trying to survive a deadly pandemic. You play as Ellie, a young girl who is on a mission for vengeance. In the game, you’ll explore familiar and new environments, fight against enemies ranging from humans to mutated infected, and discover secrets from the past. You’ll also experience intense emotional moments as you follow Ellie’s journey and see how far she will go to achieve her goal. It’s filled with action-packed scenes, a great story, and some really fun gameplay mechanics like stealth and combat.
The game is full of incredible visuals and sound design, which helps bring the world to life. The combat system is excellent, and the narrative is gripping, making for an unforgettable experience. There are also multiple endings depending on your choices throughout the story, so you can have different outcomes each time you play.
The Last of Us Part II received universal acclaim upon its release, with many praising its emotional story, beautiful visuals, and stellar gameplay.
|Publisher||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
|Available Platforms||PlayStation 4|
|Released||June 19, 2020|
- A Complex & Emotional Story-Experience the escalating moral conflicts created by Ellie's relentless pursuit of Vengeance. The cycle of violence left in her wake will challenge your notions of right...
- A Beautiful Yet Dangerous World - Set out on Ellie's journey, taking her from the peaceful mountains and forests of Jackson to the lush, overgrown ruins of greater Seattle. Encounter new survivor...
- Tense & Desperate Action-Survival Gameplay - New & evolved gameplay systems deliver upon the life-or-death stakes of Ellie's journey through the hostile world.
7. Crusader Kings III
One of the most beloved and critically acclaimed strategy games of 2020 was Crusader Kings III. Developed by Paradox Development Studio, this installment in the long-running Crusader Kings franchise builds upon the features of its predecessors, allowing players to take control of a medieval dynasty and navigate complex social, political, and economic landscapes.
At its core, Crusader Kings III is a grand strategy game that allows you to customize your own noble house, choose a dynastic bloodline, and expand your power and influence across Europe. Players can get into the role of an ambitious ruler, gain control of titles, land, and wealth, and use scheming to achieve their goals. The game also boasts an impressive level of customization, with players able to create detailed characters and customize their avatar’s traits.
The game also features an AI with varying difficulty levels, so you can challenge yourself as you become more experienced. There are also detailed character models, allowing you to customize the look of your family members, vassals, and enemies. The combat system is turn-based, so players have time to consider their next move. Each region has a military strength number which determines how much power it yields per turn, and hundreds of European provinces are waiting for conquest! Finally, players can work with friends through multiplayer mode to win against tough opponents.
|Available Platforms||Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 5|
|Developer||Paradox Development Studio|
|Genre||Grand strategy, role-playing|
|Released||September 1, 2020|
- Lead a medieval dynasty through the generations, as history swirls around you
- Rule a small realm or a major empire, encountering a dazzling number of characters with unique personalities and priorities in this award-winning strategy game from Paradox Interactive
- Arrange marriages, champion the faith, and establish new empires in this modern classic - unlike any other strategy game you've ever played on console
- Recruit men-at-arms' units and powerful knights to supplement your royal levies
- Gather information for blackmailing purposes or call in favors whenever your plans need an extra bit of influence
6. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was one of the standout games of 2020, and we’re still playing it months later. This action-adventure game has plenty of exciting missions, stealth elements, and puzzles to keep players busy for hours. The story follows Miles Morales as he struggles with the responsibility of becoming the new Spider-Man. He must navigate a complicated web of villains, allies, and personal conflicts to become a hero in his own right. Along the way, he discovers incredible new powers and gadgets that can be used to take down enemies.
Combat is an exciting mix of melee attacks, gadgets, and web-based special moves that make for some exhilarating boss battles. There’s also plenty of platforming to enjoy as you swing across rooftops and use your powers to traverse New York City.
The stunning visuals are another highlight of this game. From the vibrant color palette to the detailed characters and environments, Spider-Man: Miles Morales looks stunning. The soundtrack also deserves mention, as it perfectly captures the mood of each scene and helps to keep you engaged throughout the game.
|Publisher||Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation Studios|
|Available Platforms||PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
|Developer||Insomniac Games, Nixxes Software|
|Mode(s)||Single-player video game|
|Released||November 12, 2020|
- Miles Morales discovers explosive powers that set him apart from his mentor, Peter Parker. Master his unique, bio-electric Venom blast attacks and covert camouflage power alongside spectacular...
- a fierce war for control of Marvel's new York has broken out between a devious energy Corporation and a high-tech criminal army. With his new home at the heart of the battle, miles learns the cost of...
- A fierce war for control of Marvel's new York has broken out between a devious energy Corporation and a high-tech criminal army. With his new home at the heart of the battle, miles learns the cost of...
5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a game about adventure, discovery, and the value of friendship. You play as Ori, a white guardian spirit who embarks on an epic quest to save the forest of Niwen from a dark force. As you progress through the game, you’ll explore stunningly designed levels, battle various enemies, and solve challenging puzzles. The game also features a gorgeous soundtrack to accompany your journey.
With its beautiful art style and captivating soundtrack, players explore the grand world of Niwen, discover secrets, and battle against fierce enemies. Each level offers unique challenges with new puzzles to solve and bosses to defeat. The combat system is fast-paced and requires quick reflexes and strategy, as well as special abilities that can be unlocked with Spirit Shards.
As Ori’s journey progresses, players must outsmart foes, discover hidden passages, and uncover mysterious secrets. With plenty of side quests, characters to meet, and areas to explore, Ori and the Will of the Wisps offers an immersive adventure that has kept players coming back for more.
|Publisher||Iam8bit (Switch), Xbox Game Studios|
|Available Platforms||Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S|
|Released||March 11, 2020|
- Play the critically acclaimed masterpiece
- Immerse yourself in a hand-crafted narrative experience
- Master new skills and face larger-than-life bosses
- Get bonus physical item: digital soundtrack
4. Final Fantasy VII: Remake
Final Fantasy VII: Remake is a remake of the original 1997 RPG from Square Enix. The game has been remade with modern technology and features an all-new battle system and updated graphics. This updated version of the classic Final Fantasy game has been met with an overwhelming response, with gamers of all ages praising the game for its stunning visuals, modernized combat system, and stellar storytelling.
The story follows Cloud Strife as he returns to Midgar to help his old friends and protect the planet from an evil corporation. The game combines elements of the original game and adds a completely new spin with a spectacularly rendered 3D world and an intense combat system.
Players can explore Midgar in real-time, interact with NPCs, and experience an intense combat system that challenges them with tough enemies. You can also customize your character by equipping various weapons and armor.
|Available Platforms||PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows|
|Developers||Square Enix, Square Enix First Development Division|
|Released||April 10, 2020|
- The Final Fantasy VII remake redesigns and expands on the popular title
- Features hybrid gameplay that combines real-time action with command-based combat
- Play as the legendary Cloud Strife, a former soldier in Shinra's elite unit who has become a mercenary
- Complex and innovative game mechanics
- Engrossing narrative in the cut-scenes
3. Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Flight Simulator is one of the top 10 games from 2020 that we’re still playing. Released in August, it quickly gained a reputation as one of the most realistic flight simulators available, offering users a realistic and immersive experience.
In Microsoft Flight Simulator, you take control of an airplane and explore the world as you fly across continents. You can fly your own aircraft or use one of the many officially licensed aircraft. The game is incredibly detailed, allowing you to fly over real-world landmarks, buildings, and other structures. You can also customize your aircraft with paint jobs, decals, and more.
The gameplay of Microsoft Flight Simulator is based on exploring and completing challenges in the virtual world. You’ll start with some tutorials to get you accustomed to controlling your aircraft and navigating the environment. As you progress, you can complete missions and challenges to unlock new aircraft and build up a fleet of your planes. You’ll also have to balance flying skills with strategy and resource management with each mission and challenge.
Microsoft Flight Simulator also includes a detailed plot that slowly unfolds as you progress through the game. It centers around uncovering the secrets of an ancient civilization that has been hidden away for centuries. You’ll be challenged to travel across the globe and uncover these secrets while also engaging in thrilling dogfights and other aerial combat scenarios.
|Publishers||Microsoft Corporation, Dovetail Games, Xbox Game Studios|
|Available Platforms||DOS, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Xbox Series X/S, Windows, PC-98, Classic Mac OS|
|Developers||Sublogic, Asobo Studio, Dovetail Games, Aces Game Studio, Bruce Artwick Organization|
|Genre||Amateur flight simulation|
|Released||August 18, 2020|
- Software Main Type: Game
- Software Sub Type: Simulation Flying Game
- Software Name: Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard Edition
- ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
- Single Player Supported: Yes
2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a charming life simulation game for the Nintendo Switch. With its colorful visuals, charming characters, and interesting gameplay mechanics, it’s no wonder that many people are still playing the game.
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you take on the role of a villager who has recently moved to an island. Your main goal is to build your own home and make your island as beautiful and prosperous as possible. To do this, you’ll need to fish, catch bugs, craft items, and collect materials to build furniture and other things. You’ll also be able to interact with other villagers, attend festivals and activities, and buy clothes and decorations from shops.
The game features a variety of activities for you to take part in, such as fishing, bug catching, decorating your home, and even participating in special events. You can also use the Nook Miles system to purchase tickets for traveling to other islands or trade with other players. There’s always something new to explore on your island, and the game’s delightful art style and music make it a pleasure to play.
|Available Platforms||Nintendo Switch|
|Developers||Nintendo, Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development|
|Released||March 20, 2020|
- Build your community from scratch on a deserted island brimming with possibility
- Create your personal getaway and customize your character, home, decorations, and the landscape itself
- Collect materials to construct everything from furniture to tools. Use what you create to give your island a personal touch!
- Watch as the time of day and seasons match real life — even your hemisphere. Each day holds the potential for surprises and discoveries
- Get to know the island residents, garden, fish, decorate, hunt for fossils, and more
- Play on the same system with a total of 4 people or play together online or over local wireless for fun with up to 8 players
- Nintendo Switch
Hades is an action role-playing game from Supergiant Games that has taken the gaming world by storm since its release in September 2020. It’s a rogue-like game, meaning that death is permanent, and each run presents a new challenge. Players take on the role of Zagreus, the underworld prince, as he attempts to escape his father Hades’ domain and reach Mount Olympus. Along the way, they must fight powerful enemies and traverse a huge, vibrant underworld full of secrets.
The gameplay in Hades is fast-paced and rewarding. Players are encouraged to explore and experiment with different weapons, abilities, upgrades, and builds to take down the challenging foes they encounter. The game also features a wide variety of characters and gods to interact with, as well as numerous randomly generated levels and powerful bosses. With multiple endings and achievements to unlock, Hades offers a truly unique gaming experience.
The game contains complex mechanics and systems that reward careful play and experimentation. Players must find ways to upgrade their weapons and abilities, gain boons from the gods, and use their power and resources wisely. Death can come quickly if players are not careful, so it’s important to learn from mistakes and develop strategies that maximize progress.
Overall, Hades is a thrilling adventure full of surprises and unique gameplay mechanics. With its engaging story and incredible art direction, it’s no wonder why this game continues to be one of the most popular titles of 2020.
|Available Platforms||Windows, macOS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S|
|Genre||Rogue-like, action role-playing|
|Mode(s)||Single-player video game|
|Released||September 17, 2020|
- More than 50 Game of the Year awards
- Play as Zagreus, the son of the Greek god Hades
- Features beautiful artwork of the game's colorful cast
- Engaging storyline
2020 was an interesting year for video games. The global pandemic caused a massive shift in the gaming industry, resulting in several delays and cancellations, while some games were rushed to market earlier than expected. Despite the chaos, 2020 delivered some of the best video game experiences we’ve ever seen, and many of those titles have held their own over the past two years. These ten games showcase the sheer breadth of genres available to gamers today, from action-adventure to RPG to first-person shooter. No matter what type of game you’re in the mood for, there’s something here for everyone. Whether you’re a long-time fan of a particular franchise or someone just looking for a unique experience, you will find something to love in this list.
- The Top 10 Games from 2019 That We’re Still Playing
- The Top 10 Games from 2017 That We’re Still Playing
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Pixel-Shot/Shutterstock.com.