The CryptoLocker Virus is an infamous piece of ransomware that can cause extreme damage to any computer system. Once the malware attacks, the malicious code takes control of your system and holds it for ransom until a specific fee is paid to the hacker. The Cryptolocker malware is capable of eluding antivirus software and other cybersecurity efforts. The ransomware can infiltrate your system through email, downloads, and file-sharing sights. Once the infection occurs, it can be very difficult to get rid of.
The key to fighting this malware is prevention and other system safety measures. The effects of this ransomware may not always cause immediate symptoms. It is imperative to immediately remove CryptoLocker when it is discovered to prevent further damage. Now that you know what the CryptoLocker virus is, let’s take a closer look at how it works.
How it Works
Once the hacker is able to penetrate your antivirus and other cybersecurity software, the malicious code starts to scan and rename network drive folders and documents. An RSA 2048 bit-key is used by the creator to encrypt the files on your system with a file extension such as .cryptolocker or .encrypted. The hacker then creates a link to a webpage that has decryption instructions in exchange for payment via Bitcoin.
While the creator designed the malware not to be easily detectable, it can be detected under the right circumstances and with certain cybersecurity software. The easiest way to detect the virus is by automated file access monitoring. Ransomware attacks include symptoms such as an unusually large number of file access events at a rapid pace during a short period of time. Automated software typically allows you to configure an alert at a specific number of events. This is one of the most effective ways to prevent an infection or limit the effects of the CryptoLocker virus.
If your automated software is set up to disable an account if suspicious activity is detected, it can limit the effects of the ransomware. If automation software is not possible, you can enable native auditing. This option puts a lot of strain on the system and the output can be difficult to understand.
- Constantly monitor user behaviors and file activities.
- Adopt a least privilege model for access to your folders.
- Keep your folders backed up.
- Keep antivirus and other protection software up to date.
Ways to Prevent the CryptoLocker Virus
The creator has made it very difficult to remove the CryptoLocer Virus. For this reason, prevention and other safety measures are very important. The more accessible files on a system, the more prone it is to attacks. Damage and other symptoms will be more severe as the number of infected files increases. It is important to restrict access to as many files as possible as an important safety measure.
While antivirus software may not always detect or get rid of ransomware, it is an important layer of protection to have in the prevention of the CryptoLocker virus. It is important to remove any unnecessary groups from your access control lists. Group names like domain users, everyone, or authenticated users make the job of the malicious code easier. The infection can quickly be spread to a large number of individuals in the organization if groups like this are compromised.
The Best Antivirus Software for the CryptoLocker Virus
- Speed-optimized antivirus protection for Windows PC
- NEW: Anti-tracker – keep browsing data private, view and manage which sites can collect your data
- IMPROVED: Safe Online Banking – a unique, dedicated browser secures your transactions; Advanced Threat Defense – uses smart behavioral detection to monitor apps in real-time; Wi-Fi Security Advisor – access the security of your Wi-Fi network and router from anywhere
- Also includes: Real-Time Data Protection, Network Threat Prevention, Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection, Social Network Protection, Game/Movie/Work Modes, Anti-Phishing, Anti-Fraud, Rescue Mode, Bitdefender VPN (200 MB/day), Password Manager, File Shredder, Vulnerability Assessment, and much more
This ransomware software is very affordable and offers many layers of protection against all known malware such as CryptoLocer. It also offers a variety of other safety features.
- The powerful Personal Firewall protects you from any online spies, viruses, trojans or other threats
- Complete Mailsafe tool blocks suspicious inbound and outbound emails
- Automatic Intrusion Blocking recognizes, blocks and logs dangerous threats
- Cache Cleaner and cookie control eliminates traces of your Internet activity
- Hacker Tracking pinpoints the origin of anyone who tries to break into your system
This malware software is known to be one of the most effective against ransomware such as CryptoLocker. When tested, it was able to detect all known real-world ransomware.
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
While it is free, this software is extremely effective against file and disk-encrypting malware.
Are you interested in learning about other computer viruses? Check out our complete guide!
Last update on 2022-11-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API