Sony’s PlayStation consoles PS4 and PS5 are designed to become the core of your home entertainment system on their own. Yet, the best PlayStation accessories can improve your experience both at home and on the go. From state-of-the-art wireless controllers to accessories that allow you to transform your handset into a makeshift remote PS console, VR headsets, and external storage drives, there is no shortage of first- and third-party choices.
Whether you want a gift for yourself or an avid gamer, our ranking for the best PlayStation accessories in 2023 are:
- Best Overall PlayStation Accessories: DualSense Wireless Controller
- Best Budget Choice: DualSense Charging Station
- Best for Remote Play: Backbone One PlayStation Edition
- Best for Dorms: PULSE 3D Wireless Headset
- Best for Entertainment: PS5 Media Remote
- Best for Immersive Playing: PlayStation VR Headset
- Best for Storage: Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 4TB
Best Overall PlayStation Accessories: DualSense Wireless Controller
- Haptic feedback - feel physically responsive feedback to your in-game actions with dual actuators which replace traditional rumble motors.
- Adaptive triggers - experience varying levels of force and tension as you interact with your in-game Gear and environments.
- Built-in microphone and headset jack - chat with friends online using the built-in microphone or by connecting a headset to the 3.5mm jack.
As any PS enthusiast knows, the controller can make or break the gaming experience. While basic PS4 controllers work on PS5, the PlayStation DualSense Wireless Controller is quite the upgrade if you have a PlayStation 5. In fact, this joypad has some unique features that make it hard to find alternatives from earlier PS models or third-party brands – except for the DualSense Edge that will soon launch.
Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are the two main features that can heighten your sense as you shoot or drive around. Haptic feedback provides physically responsive feedback to your in-game actions so that you can feel the car’s vibrations as you drive or your weapon recoils after shooting at your opponents.
Adaptive triggers bring in-game interaction to a more life-like experience, exerting a various amount of force and tension. These features make it easy to connect to your on-screen actions and enjoy a more immersive play. Moreover, the controller has a built-in microphone and speaker that comes in handy in multiplayer games, and it also pairs with Apple devices for comfortable gaming on all platforms.
DualSense comes in several colors and styles, including a sought-after Gray Camouflage. Colored options are more expensive than standard white but well worth it if you want something original or to make it easy to identify your controller when living in a multiplayer household.
Check out DualSense Wireless Controller on Amazon.
Best Budget Choice: DualSense Charging Station
- Charge two controllers - Charge up to two DualSense wireless controllers at the same time without having to connect them to your PlayStation 5 console.
- Free up USB ports - Your controllers charge as quickly as when connected to your PS5 console – so you can free up USB ports without sacrificing performance.
- Click-in design - Dock your DualSense wireless controllers quickly and easily with the charging station’s click-in design and leave them to charge at your convenience.
If you’re not a big fan of extra wires vining around your gaming console and want to charge both your and your partner’s controller at the same time, the DualSense Charging Station might save the day. It could also be the best PlayStation accessory for a friend if you’re looking for an affordable – yet PS branded – gift.
This charging station has two docks that can charge your DualSense controllers or just hold them when you’re not playing. Charging aside, it makes it super-easy to keep your gaming room organized – which could be a plus if you don’t want to get on your spouse’s (or mom’s) nerves. The power cord is very thin and comes out of the back so that it isn’t very noticeable, which is another plus.
Sony makes the charging station in the controller’s standard white, which could be either a plus or a downside. If you like flawless looks, white might be a blot on the landscape with any other joypad color. Yet, this drawback can easily become superfluous when thinking that this station can charge your DualSense in only half an hour.
Check out DualSense Charging Station on Amazon.
Best for Remote Play: Backbone One PlayStation Edition
- PLAY ANY CONTROLLER SUPPORTED GAMES: Responsive analog triggers, tactile buttons, and clickable thumbsticks for the ultimate mobile gaming experience.
- LOWEST LATENCY, PASS-THROUGH CHARGING & 3.5MM HEADSET JACK: Connects to your iPhone's Lightning port for ultra-responsive gameplay. Charge and use your favorite headset while you play.
- WORKS WITH ANY IPHONE: Compatible with the latest iPhones. Adapter included for better experience on iPhone 14 series, 13 Pro & 13 Pro Max models.
- 1 MONTH BACKBONE+ INCLUDED: Get access to exclusive perks and the Backbone app, which serves as a hub for all your games, recommends new games, connect with friends, screen record, play on any screen,...
- BUILT FOR PLAYSTATION: From the DualSense inspired design to the special integrations with the PlayStation and PS Remote Play app, this exclusive Backbone is unlike anything the world has ever seen.
No matter what controller-supported game you’re playing, with the Backbone One PlayStation Edition, you can play it on the go. This device transforms your iPhone into a makeshift PS controller with a built-in screen and allows you to launch and play all games installed on your console, as long as your PS is internet-connected and powered on.
According to Backbone, the One controller is compatible with the latest iPhone 13 and 14, including the Pro and Pro Max models. However, the Pro and Pro Max can only be fitted with an included adapter, and this could turn into compatibility issues down the road if Apple decides to change its future phones’ dimensions and you decide to upgrade your handset.
Built specifically for PlayStation, this Backbone One edition features a DualSense-inspired design but is compatible with PS4, too. This comes as a great advantage if you want the immersive DualSense experience but haven’t yet upgraded your console – you can simply turn your phone into a DualSense controller. Whether you plan to use it at home or on the go, it draws very little power from your phone. The only real downside is that it doesn’t work with Android devices.
Excellent material quality crowns the design. The joystick isn’t too heavy to cause fatigue, but it isn’t flimsy, either. The gameplay is also great, with no latency or lag issues. The gadget comes with a case and collapses to a compact size for easy carrying in your bag or backpack.
Check out Backbone One PlayStation Edition on Amazon.
Best for Dorms: PULSE 3D Wireless Headset
- Specially designed for gamers
- Wireless adaptor for PS4 and PS5 consoles
- Pulse 3D Wireless Headset
- Features 3D audio technology
With a design that matches the PS5 console and the DualSense controller, the PULSE 3D Wireless Headset is the brand’s dedicated headset option. Quality-wise, it is an entry-level option for gaming enthusiasts who care for fine-tuned audio with their gaming console but can live with a basic built-in mic.
Undoubtedly, the headset’s greatest advantage is the onboard control that allows you to adjust the game and chat volume with your thumb. A downside to this function is that you can’t mute yourself from the onboard controls when using the headset in wireless mode – this option is available when using it in wired mode. In fact, the headset features a 3.5mm jack and comes with a cable so that you can turn it from wireless to wired. EQ presets are customizable, allowing you to adjust the bass, lows, mids, highs, and treble.
While this won’t give you top-notch sound, the audio is more than decent for a really pleasurable experience. A real let-down is a built-in microphone that is really sensitive and comes with no noise-canceling functions. This basically means that your friends will hear everything from your breaths to stuff happening around you. Back to the positives, PULSE 3D is compatible with both PS4 and PS5, and you can also use it with other devices, such as your laptop, smartphone, or TV.
Check out PULSE 3D Wireless Headset on Amazon.
Best for PS Entertainment: PS5 Media Remote
- Media playback controls - Quickly navigate media with built-in play/pause, fast forward and fast reverse buttons.
- Seamless console compatibility - Power on your PS5 console and navigate its menus directly with the remote for ultimate convenience.
- TV settings - Adjust the volume and power settings of compatible TVs with the built-in IR transmitter. PS5 system software update may be required.
PlayStation was born as a gaming console, but it can do much more nowadays. If you want to use it for entertainment, getting the PS5 Media Remote is a must. This gadget is designed specifically to let you navigate your console’s interface quickly and effortlessly so that you can access the PlayStation TV options, control the soundbar volume, and more.
The remote comes with dedicated app buttons that let you access Spotify, Netflix, Disney+, or YouTube with just a click. It also includes media playback controls so you can pause or stop a video and go fast forward or fast reverse, in addition to the universally useful mute button. Aside from a remote for your PS universe, the PS5 media remote also doubles as a universal – albeit basic – TV remote.
On the flip side, the remote’s design is somewhat disappointing. Sure, it maintains the same line seen in other PS5 accessories, but the button layout is a true eyesore and the volume control – on the upper left-hand corner – is quite annoying to operate. Overall, this gadget is fine but has room for improvement. Considering the price tag, it’s still something you might want.
Check out PS5 Media Remote on Amazon.
Best for Immersive Playing: PlayStation VR Headset
- 100 degrees field of view
- 90-120 Hz refresh rate
- 1080 x 960 display resolution
- Positional tracking, Standing VR, Seated VR
The PlayStation VR Headset is one of the best PlayStation accessories for those who want an entry point into VR gaming. It pairs with the PS Camera and PS Move controllers, but you can also use it without those gadgets on both PS4 and PS5. Sure, the console choice can enhance or drop the headset’s performance based on the amount of processing power the console can dispose of.
For the best experience, the VR headset pairs best with a PS5 or PS4 Pro. On PS4, the image quality will be too low to provide you with a life-altering experience. Yet, it’ll still allow you to play in a radically different way, so it might still be worth the investment.
If you want a more immersive experience and better resolution, the PlayStation VR2 options can provide you with those, but at a steeper price tag.
Check out PlayStation VR Headset on Amazon.
Best for Storage: Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 4TB
- OFFICIALLY LICENSED Built with matching firmware to seamlessly work with all models of PS5 and PS4.
- PS5 READY Store your PS5 games and transfer them to the console when it’s time to play.
- WORKS WITH PS4 Store and play all your PS4 games directly from the external hard drive.
- BUILD YOUR GAME VAULT 4TB of capacity means no more sacrificing, deleting, or redownloading games.
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED Launch into action in under two minutes with easy plug-and-play setup.
Anyone who has ever used a PlayStation knows that built-in storage is simply insufficient. This is where the Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 4TB steps in, providing you with all the storage space you need to build up your personal game vault. Up to 4TB of capacity makes it easy to store how many games you like without worrying about deleting games to make space, sacrificing, or re-downloading.
This officially licensed PS drive comes with matching firmware and works seamlessly with all models of PS4 and PS5 consoles. It might take longer to launch on PS4, but it is PS5-ready. In fact, it launches into action in just a handful of minutes on PS5 with the easy plug-and-play setup.
The sleek, lightweight design makes it totally portable; you can take your game collection wherever you want. Plus, at under $150, it also comes cheap considering the extra storage it brings. Depending on your storage needs and budget, however, you can find the device in capacity options between 500GB and 8TB.
Check out Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 4TB on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best PlayStation Accessories: Step by Step
The best PlayStation accessories are down to you. Nobody but you can tell which ones you need or would like to try. Beyond personal criteria, though, there are a few things to consider before buying.
The market is full of PS accessories from Sony or other brands. Buying original or officially licensed products brings a higher quality guarantee, though. Most of these accessories aren’t more expensive than options from unidentified third parties, and you can rest assured they won’t damage your console.
Most of the accessories available today are compatible with the newest release from PlayStation, the PS5. They might not work with your PS4 or earlier model, so if that’s what you have, checking compatibility before buying is crucial.
What to Know Before Buying PlayStation Accessories
Sony certifies that all PS-branded products and accessories integrate seamlessly into the PS ecosystem. The same is true for third-party but officially licensed products, such as the Backbone One or Seagate drives for PlayStation. All products and accessories from unlicensed third parties might be compatible with your console, but they could also damage it.
Damages might not be visible straight away, but these accessories could put a strain on performance or demand too much power, which could lead to the failure of one or more components on the console’s motherboard. For this reason, it is best to pair your console with original or licensed accessories.
Using PlayStation Accessories: What it’s Like
The best PlayStation accessories can enhance your gameplay experience and also elevate your overall experience with the PS ecosystem. For instance, the PSVR can help you get a glimpse into VR gaming, even if the headset isn’t the most performing. A new DualSense controller for your PS5 can increase feedback and help you up your play compared to a DualShock 4. Moreover, accessories such as Backbone One allow you to access your games and play even when you’re away.