- Gaming headsets have evolved from wired to Bluetooth, HD sound to noise cancellation, and offer options for gaming immersion, soundstage, and surround sound.
- The SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro is the best overall headset with features like GameDAC Gen 2, 360-degree spatial audio, and an infinity power system.
- The Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless XT is the best budget headset with a 60ft range, over-ear fit, and immersive Dolby Atmos sound system.
- The ASUS ROG Delta S Wireless is the best wireless headset with a lightweight design, fast charging, AI beamforming microphones, and active noise cancellation.
- The Razer Kraken V3 HyperSense is the best haptics headset with THX Spatial Audio, TriForce Titanium 50mm drivers, and a comfortable fit with memory foam ear cushions.
- The Turtle Beach Stealth Pro is the best headset for esports with active noise cancellation, integrated and boom microphones, and dual 12+ hour battery system.
Gaming headsets are a must-have gadget for playing games on a PC or laptop. With the continuous technological change, headsets have also evolved drastically. From wired to Bluetooth, from HD sound to noise cancellation, PC gaming headsets have come a long way. When it comes to gaming immersion, better soundstage, and surround sound; there are 100s of options to choose from.
After researching many options, our rankings and reviews for the best PC gaming headsets are
- Best Overall Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro
- Best Budget Headset: Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless XT
- Best Wireless Headset: ASUS ROG Delta S Wireless Gaming Headset
- Best Haptics Headset: Razer Kraken V3 HyperSense
- Best for Esports Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth Pro
Let’s take a look at the specs of our top 5 picks
#1 Best Overall Headset: SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro
SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro headsets are game-changers in the world of gaming. They are wired and compatible with PC/PlayStation and Xbox variants. The Xbox model’s DAC comes with an OLED Base Station (dedicated port) for this console. SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro boasts of its GameDAC Gen 2, and its various inputs and customization characteristics like an EQ and channel mixing.
The 360-degree spatial audio offers you the best gaming experience and is compatible with Microsoft Spatial Sound for Xbox / Tempest 3D Audio for PS5. For long hours of gaming, this PC gaming headset comes with an infinity power system that lets you swap the batteries when hot or discharged.
The simultaneous game and mobile audio mixing feature allows you to mix two audio connections concurrently. It means you can play a game while interacting with your online friends.
|This headset comes with a dedicated console port, GameDAC Gen 2, EQ, and channel mixing
|Leatherette may give you the ear sweats
|Compatible with PC/PlayStation and Xbox Variant
|USB charging connector located under a magnetic cover on the earcup
|Has 360° Spatial Audio and Dual Audio Streams
Check out SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro on Amazon.
Best Budget Headset: Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless XT
- Wireless range up to 60 ft.
- Battery life up to 15 hours
- Simultaneous dual-wireless connections deliver high-fidelity game audio with hyper-fast, ultra-long range
- SLIPSTREAM CORSAIR WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY with Bluetooth with Qualcomm aptX HD
- Experience uncompromising sound quality with a matched pair of precisely tuned 50mm high-density neodymium speaker drivers, delivering a frequency range of 20Hz-40,000Hz
- Long-lasting comfort to wear all day with premium memory foam earpads that conform to your head and a lightweight pillow-soft headband
- Make yourself heard with exceptional dynamic range and vocal clarity, thanks to a 9.5mm broadcast-grade, omnidirectional, high-bandwidth detachable microphone with excellent low-end response
If you’re looking for an all-inclusive PC gaming headset that suits your budget, consider buying Corsair Virtuso RGB Wireless XT. It boasts of its 60ft range and over-ear snug fit. These PC gaming headsets come with a battery life of 15 hours and are made to offer a good gaming experience.
Offering you a frequency range of 20Hz-40,000Hz, this PC gaming headset ensures you the best experience. For the best-in-class sound system, it provides an immersive Dolby Atmos on PC and high-density neodymium speaker drivers.
This budget headset has Atmos – Broadcast Quality Microphone and soft ear-padding. You can choose from 4 color options.
|It has a 60ft range, over-ear fit, 7.1 surround sound, and 15-hour battery life.
|7.1 surround sound only on PC
|Atmos Broadcast quality microphone and memory foam ear padding
Check out CORSAIR VIRTUOSO RGB WIRELESS on Amazon.
Best Wireless Headset: ASUS ROG Delta S Wireless Gaming Headset
With their unique fit and style, ASUS ROG Delta S Wireless Gaming Headsets will make a great addition to your gaming experience. The lightweight and IPX4 splashproof design is perfect for seasoned gamers who spend more time on PC. These PC gaming headsets also come with fast charging that offers 3 hours of gaming with a 15-minute charge, and up to 25 hours of total battery life.
This headset comes with AI Beamforming Microphones to ensure a clear voice pick-up. The built-in active noise cancelation reduces 500 million types of background noises. You will get a smooth in-game communication with this feature.
|Low-latency wireless 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth Headsets with AI Beamforming Microphones and AI Noise Cancelation
|USB cable fixed
|Lightweight and IPX4 splash-proof water resistance design.
Check out ASUS ROG Delta S Wireless on Amazon.
Best Haptics Headset: Razer Kraken V3 HyperSense
- Razer HyperSense: Converting sound signals into vibrations in real time, the headset provides tactile feedback from within the earcups with an intensity level that’s controlled from a convenient on-headset button.Specific uses for product : Movies and Gaming
- Razer TriForce Titanium 50mm Drivers: Our patented 3-part driver design pushes out exceptional highs, mids and lows that doesn’t muddy, providing a more dynamic listening experience for deeper immersion.
- THX Spatial Audio: With our advanced 7.1 surround sound, enjoy true-to-life acoustics that optimizes game sound design to hear everything.
- Hybrid Fabric and Leatherette Memory Foam Cushions: Snug, close-fitting earcups provide superior sound isolation, comfort, and the feeling of full haptic feedback from its drivers for full-blown immersion.
- Detachable Razer HyperClear Cardioid Mic: Be heard loud and clear with a mic that’s fine-tuned to suppress background noise for enhanced voice capture during gaming.
Pro gamers, the Razer Krazen V3 HyperSense headset will take your gaming experience to the next level with its Stereo Haptics and Detachable HyperClear Cardioid Mic. The THX Spatial Audio boasts 7.1 surround sound ensuring crisp and clear sound quality.
The unique Razer HyperSense feature converts sound signals into vibrations and offers gamers a real-time gaming experience. For deeper immersion, it comes with a patented 3-part driver design- TriForce Titanium 50mm Drivers.
This piece offers a comfortable fit with its leatherette memory foam ear cushions. The close-fitting earcups provide better sound isolation and full-fledged haptic feedback from its drivers.
|They have 50mm TriForce Titanium Drivers and Detachable HyperClear Cardioid Mic
|The cable doesn’t detach
|A comfortable fit with leatherette memory foam and ear cushions
Check out Razer Kraken V3 HyperSense on Amason.
Best for Esports Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth Pro
- Officially licensed for use with Xbox Series X consoles
- 50mm Nanoclear drivers
- Noise-canceling boom microphone
- Simultaneously listen to music and Discord chat
Turtle Beach Stealth Pro headsets are known for their premium design and compatibility with PC, Mobiles, Xbox, and PlayStation, hence reckoned as the best Esports headsets. With active noise cancellation (ANC), these headsets feature an integrated mic and boom mic along with robust companion software.
For a wireless gaming headset, this pair offers benefits like 50mm speakers and Bluetooth connectivity. These PC gaming headsets are known for their convenient and swappable dual 12+ hour battery system
|They come with S.M.A.R.T. Noise-Cancelling Boom and concealed Microphones, dual batteries, and active noise cancellation.
|Poor passive soundstage.
|Compatible with Xbox, PlayStation, Windows PCs, Mac, Nintendo Switch & Mobile.
Check out Turtle Beach Stealth Pro on Amazon.
How To Pick The Best Headsets: Step-by-Step
PC gaming headsets come in different variants and designs. To eliminate your confusion, we have listed the factors that you should consider. A step-by-step guide for you:
- What is your budget for gaming headsets?
- What is your gaming platform?
- Can you use your headsets for a long time?
- What do you prefer- wired or wireless headsets?
- What are the sound output options?
- With how many devices they should be compatible?
- What kind of headset design do you prefer?
Depending on the budget, you can shortlist headsets. They start from $50 and can go up to $450. As per your usage and budget, you can choose your gaming headset.
What is Your Gaming Platform?
If you are playing on a laptop/PC or Xbox, you should pick your gaming headset based on the platform. For example, SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro comes in two variants- one is compatible with Xbox, and one is meant for PCs and laptops.
Mic or Without Mic
There are games that need players to interact with their online fellow players and need a mic. Some of them record their voice-over for gaming-based content and publish them online. For beginners, a mic might not be a necessary feature.
Wired vs. Wireless
Wired headsets are not obsolete yet. There are people who prefer wired headsets over wireless ones for a couple of reasons. Battery usage with a prolonged Bluetooth connection is a major factor in answering the question of why you should buy wireless gaming headsets. People who move a lot while playing often avoid wired headsets. Also, travelers prefer wireless headsets to stay free from any wires, eliminating the hassle of entangling.
If you are looking to buy a PC gaming headset, you need to check if they are compatible with your computer or gaming system. Some of the best gaming headsets are designed to suit specific gaming consoles whereas some are made for laptops/PCs. To get a better idea, it is of utmost importance that you check the product description or check on the brand’s page.
Sound quality is the primary factor to consider before you zero down to one pair of headsets. You should conduct thorough research about frequency range, impedance, driver type, noise cancellation, etc. The best sound is the first consideration for audiophiles and should be taken seriously.
One of the most important aspects of selecting a gaming headset is comfort. Gamers wear this accessory for hours hence it becomes crucial to select a comfortable headset. There are so many options available, go for the ones that fit your face and ears properly and come with sufficient padding. Ensure that the headset weight is distributed evenly and have the option to adjust as per your head size and shape.
From a design point of view, you can choose from open-back headsets, semi-open-back, and closed-back headsets. Closed-back headsets are designed to offer maximum sound isolation, whereas open-back ones don’t offer a physical barrier between you and the environment. Semi-open back headsets offer a medium level of sound isolation, not keeping you aloof from what is happening in your surroundings but offering a good sound experience.
Best PC Gaming Headset Brand Name
Some users are brand freaks or loyal to one particular brand, and that becomes their first consideration. If you are inclined towards one brand, research its features before placing an order. If you are a novice, consider budget brands such as Razer Kragen, HyperX, Sennheiser, Logitech, etc. Seasoned gamers might go for high-end brands like Corsair and SteelSeries. The latter ones offer specific and niche technology. You can opt as per your preference.
Built-in controls, appearance, and an infinity power system are other features worth considering!
What To Know Before Buying Headsets
Playing a computer game can be fun and exciting, but choosing the best wireless keyboards and headsets to enhance your gaming experience needs proper research. Ascertain if you’re a beginner or a pro gamer. Beginners can go for basic headsets and experts may invest in premium headsets.
Gone are the days when people used to find headsets based on trial and error methods. Consider the abovementioned factors before selecting a pair of headsets.
Using a PC Gaming Headset: What it’s Like
Gaming headsets are great because they let you enjoy the sound effects, interact with your fellow gamers, and totally immerse in the game.
There are some gamers who like to zone out and enjoy their gaming session without any obstacles, that’s where gaming headsets make a difference and come into the picture. Imagine being transported to the virtual gaming world and experiencing the best of it.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Thanes.Op/Shutterstock.com.