- The ASUS ROG Z690-E boasts many features that make it an ideal choice for any PC, including overclocking potential, high-end connectivity options, and durability.
- Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Tachyon supports LN2 overclocking, which means it’s designed to withstand record-breaking overclocking potential without breaking the hazards.
- The MSI Z690-A Pro is a low-cost motherboard that features a thermal design; the 14+1+1 power phases and 55A power delivery are enough to handle the 12700K at moderate to extreme speeds.
i7-12700K is undoubtedly one of the most powerful computer processors on the market, with Intel’s Hyper-Threading technology helping it live up to its name. This eight-core processor came out towards the end of 2021. A good alternative to the i5-7600K, it’s among the best gaming CPUs in the market, competing with Ryzen.
Want to get the most out of your CPU? You need to pair it with an equally good motherboard. Lots of options are on the table. After some serious sleuthing, we are happy to present the results.
Here is the best motherboard for Intel i7-12700K in 2022.
- Best Overall Motherboard For i7-12700K: ASUS ROG Z690-E
- Best Overclocking Motherboard For-i7 12700K: GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Tachyon
- Best Budget Motherboard For i7-12700K: MSI Z690-A PRO WIFI
- Best Mini-ITX Motherboard For i7-12700K: Gigabyte Z690-I AORUS Ultra
- Best DDR4 Motherboard For i7-12700K: Asus TUF Z690-Plus Wifi D4
Best Overall Motherboard For i7 12700K: ASUS ROG Z690-E
- Intel LGA 1700 socket: Ready for 12th Gen Intel Core processors, support PCIe 5.0,DDR5 and out of box Windows 11 ready.Wireless & Bluetooth: Bluetooth v5.2
- AI Motherboard : AI Overclocking, AI cooling, AI networking(GameFirst VI) and AI noise cancellation
- Robust Power Solution: 18+1 90A power stages with ProCool II power connector, high-quality alloy chokes and durable capacitors to support multi-core processors
- Optimized Thermal Design: VRM heatsink, PCH fanless heatsink, double-sided M.2 heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert 4 utility
- High-performance Gaming Networking: On-board WiFi 6E and Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet with ASUS LANGuard
If you’re looking for the best overall motherboard for an i7 12700K, look no further than the ASUS ROG Z690-E. It boasts many features that make it an ideal choice for any PC, including overclocking potential, high-end connectivity options, and durability.
The I/O shield features ASUS ROG’s signature eye with RGB illumination options. Its chipset is completely encased in brushed black shields. There are four RAM slots, each powered by the DDR5 standard and capable of carrying 128GB of storage at 6,400MHz.
The VRM uses two 8-pin EPS power connectors for all of the OC and 125W of TDP power draw. While boosting your CPU to new heights, the 16+1 power stages ensure your safety. Although the 8+4pin would suffice, ASUS never settles for less overclocking headroom in their motherboards.
The ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WIFI model motherboard is distinguished by an effective design while also providing good functionality – the manufacturer has included a 2.5G LAN and Wi-Fi 6E network.
- Excellent build quality
- Lots of features on board
- DDR5 supported
- Good OC potential
- Exposed IPC
Check out the ASUS ROG Z690-E on Amazon.
Best Overclocking Motherboard For i7 12700K: GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Tachyon
- 15+1+2 Phases Direct VRM Design with 105A Power Stage* and Tantalum Polymer Capacitor (*Power Stage maximum current.)
- DDR5 XTREME MEMORY Design with SMD DIMM and Shielded Memory Routing
- Exclusive onboard Overclocking Kit for extreme overclocking
- Intel WIFI 6E 802.11ax 2T2R & BT 5 with AORUS Antenna
- 4 x Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe 4.0*/3.0 x4 M.2 with Thermal Guards
Designed for extreme overclocking, the GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Tachyon will appeal to performance enthusiasts. Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Tachyon supports LGA 1700 Intel Alder Lake-S processors and dual-channel DDR5 memory (the manufacturer has provided only two slots, which translates into better OC potential). Memory speed can reach 8,3000 MHz.
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Tachyon supports LN2 overclocking, which means it’s designed to withstand record-breaking overclocking potential without breaking the hazards.
The LN2 overclocking means that the Gigabyte Aorus Tachyon is designed to operate in the Liquid Nitrogen cooling mode. Because liquid nitrogen requires an evaporator to work on the CPU, the Gigabyte Aorus Tachyon has a dedicated design for this stunt. And the good news is that everything is secure on the Gigabyte Aorus Tachyon Motherboard for the method.
This motherboard has the same features as its predecessor (Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Tachyon). The series isn’t old, but it provides LN2 OC to consumers. Despite its extreme design, Gigabyte Aorus Tachyon can be used for gaming, productivity, and smooth clock speeds.
The Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Tachyon has a control panel with LEDs, OC switches, a power switch, and clock ratio dipswitches. This control panel is on the missing 2 RAM slots and can be used without a chassis.
The Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Tachyon PCB is shielded against thermal gains and LN2 mist, making it the best overclocking motherboard for I7-12700k. 15+1+2 Phases Direct VRM Design with 105A power stage indicates internal build quality for extreme overclocking. The 2Oz PCB around the CPU protects it from LN2 impacts.
- Great overclocking capabilities
- Good quality components (memory, CPU)
- Robust 15-phase 105A VRMs
- Four M.2 sockets
- Limited to 64GB of RAM
- Last-gen audio codec
Check out the GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Tachyon on Amazon.
Best Budget Motherboard For i7 12700K: MSI Z690-A PRO WIFI
- Supports 12th Gen Intel Core Pentium Celeron processors for LGA 1700 socket
- Supports DDR5 Memory
- Premium Thermal Solution: Extended Heatsink Design, MOSFET thermal pads rated for 7W/mk and M.2 Shield Frozr are built for high performance system and non-stop works
- 2.5G LAN with LAN Manager and Intel Wi-Fi 6E Solution: Upgraded network solution for professional and multimedia use. Delivers a secure, stable and fast network connection
- Intel Turbo USB 3.2 Gen 2: Powered by Intel USB 3.2 Gen2 controller, Turbo USB ensures an uninterrupted connection with more stability and fastest USB speeds
TheMSI Z690-A PRO WIFI is a good budget motherboard for the i7 12700K. It has four DIMM slots, which allows you to install up to 128GB of RAM, and has four PCI, one PCIe 5.0 x16 slot, two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots working at x4 and x1, and one PCIe 3.0 x1 slot.
The MSI Z690-A Pro is a low-cost motherboard that doesn’t skimp on thermal design; the 14+1+1 power phases and 55A power delivery are enough to handle the 12700K at moderate to extreme speeds. Because the Z690-A Pro is available in two variants, it caters to both DDR4 and
DDR5 users. The DDR5 model comes with fast memory that runs at 6400 Mhz, whereas the DDR4 model comes with blazing-fast DDR4 memory that runs at 5200 Mhz and has a maximum memory capacity of 128GB. Since the Z690-A Pro lacks sufficient USB ports, USB connectivity can be difficult. MSI has done an appreciable job by giving Wi-Fi in this low-cost motherboard with a standard LAN connectivity of 2.5Gbps.
While Z690-A Pro does not have RGB lighting, it has a lovely black and grayish texture. This motherboard Z690-A Pro can be a great option for buyers who prefer simple and clean looks over RGB lights.
Overall, the MSI Z690-A Pro is a good buy for users who don’t want to spend much money. MSI made a wise decision in introducing a great motherboard at a low cost while maintaining excellent quality. The VRMs on this low-cost motherboard are cooled by medium-sized heat sinks that do their job even when the Core i7 12700K is working hard.
- Best Budget Z690
- Both DDR4 and DDR5 variants are available
- Good build quality
- No RGB
- Weaker connectivity
- Not enough USB slots for all modern games
Check out the MSI Z690-A PRO WIFI on Amazon.
Best Mini-ITX Motherboard For i7 12700K: Gigabyte Z690-I AORUS Ultra
- Intel LGA 1700 Socket: Supports 12th Gen Intel Core Series Processors
- DDR4 Compatible: Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 2 DIMMS
- Commanding Power Design: 10+2+1 Phases Digital VRM Solution with 105A Power Stage, 10-Layer PCB
- Cutting-Edge Thermal Design: Advanced Thermal Solution with Fins Array II and Thermal Guards III
- Next Gen Connectivity: PCIe 3.0, Dual NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C
The best mini-ITX motherboard for i7 12700K is Gigabyte Z690-I AORUS Ultra. It has all the features you need, and it’s got a killer price tag to go with it. The Z690-I Aorus Ultra’s power delivery system is outstanding. It features a 10+1+2 VRM design with a 105A power stage that can comfortably handle the i7-12700k.
The Z690-I is available with DDR4 and DDR5 memory options. The DDR4 variant supports memory speeds of up to 5333 MHz, whereas the DDR5 variant efficiently handles memory speeds of 6200 MHz. Due to their size, the option of two DIMMs limits the ability to upgrade the memory in the future. The memory support is up to 64GB, which could be problematic.
This mini-ITX does not settle for less when it comes to storage, as it is equipped with five M.2 drives for daily use. Regarding internet connectivity, this motherboard offers standard 2.5Gbps LAN and Wi-Fi 6E, which is commendable given the price. As a result of their size, Mini-ITX motherboards have a limited number of USB ports, so 8 will suffice.
In terms of aesthetics, the armor’s brushed finish texture makes this motherboard more appealing. RGB is subpar, but expecting too much from this mini beast would be unfair.
This motherboard is unquestionably the Mini-ITX king for everything it offers. There is no better option on the market, as there are not many affordable yet magnificent alternatives. Unquestionably the best Mini-ITX motherboard for the i7 12700K.
- Best Mini-ITX option
- Good VRMs
- Good price point
- Supports DDR4 and DDR5
- Only up to 64GB Ram
- RGB doesn’t look appealing
Check out the Gigabyte Z690-I AORUS Ultra on Amazon.
Best DDR4 Motherboard For i7 12700K: Asus TUF Z690-Plus Wifi D4
- Intel LGA 1700 socket: Ready for 12th Gen Intel Core processors, support PCIe 5.0 and out of box Windows 11 ready.Bluetooth v5.2
- Enhanced Power Solution: 14+2 DrMOS power stages, ProCool sockets, military-grade TUF components, and Digi+ VRM for maximum durability and performance
- Comprehensive Cooling : VRM heatsink, PCH fanless heatsink, M.2 heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert 4 utility
- Ultra Fast Gaming Networking : WiFi 6 AX201 (802.11 ax), Intel I225-V 2.5Gb LAN, TUF LANGuard and TurboLAN technology
- Fastest Connectivity: 4x M.2/NVMe SSD, Front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C header, USB Gen 2x2 Type-C and Thunderbolt 4 header
The Asus TUF Z690-Plus Wifi D4 Motherboard is our top pick in this category. This motherboard is made of military-grade components and is perfect for gamers and power users. Extras like SATA cables, the Wi-Fi receiving cable, a driver/utility plate, and an extensive and straightforward manual are included in the package. With this motherboard, you also get all benefits of Alder Lake CPUs. DDR5 module support will never be an issue.
ASUS has accounted for Alder Lake’s growing power requirements. The VRM consists of 14+2 phases that supply 960A to the CPU and 160A to the SOC. This is comparable to more expensive models from previous generations and has a solid foundation for overclocking the 12700K. The associated heatsinks have not been altered. This is good news, as the Z590 version had large heatsinks with two thermal contact points and numerous cutouts to facilitate faster heat dissipation.
- WiFi support
- PCIe 5.0 supported
- Good OC potential
- Affordable pricing
- Supports overclocking
- No DDR5 support
- Decent design with exposed PCB
Check out the Asus TUF Z690-Plus Wifi D4 on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best motherboard for Intel i7-12700K: A Step-by-Step Guide
Choosing the right motherboard for your Intel i7-12700K is a big decision. You want to make sure you get the best bang for your buck and find something that will last for years. Here are some tips to help you pick the best one:
CPUs are installed in a housing on the motherboard known as the CPU socket. The type and alignment of pins in a CPU socket vary depending on the chipset family. For example, the LGA 1700 socket with Z690 chipset motherboard can only house and support 12th Gen Intel Core processors. Any incompatible socket won’t allow an unsupported CPU to fit it, and if it does, will not function. Before purchasing a motherboard, look for the CPU’s socket manual.
A chipset is a circuit collection that facilitates communication between the processor and other components. The chipset contains all of the CPU architecture’s data and drivers. Although all motherboards may appear identical, their chipsets may differ. Consider chipset compatibility with the processor you intend to purchase. For instance, the Z690 chipset is only compatible with Intel 12th Generation Alder Lake processors. Additional chipsets may be released in the future. Check the back of the motherboard box for a list of supported CPUs to avoid inconvenience.
Voltage Regulator Module, or VRM, is one of a motherboard’s most crucial components. It establishes the CPU’s power compatibility. The VRM is crucial for overclocking onboard components. Before pairing a motherboard with a powerful CPU, verify the motherboard’s VRM specs.
What to Know Before Buying A Motherboard for Intel i7-12700K
Finding the right motherboard is important when building a new PC. Motherboards provide slots to insert hardware and connect the parts with wires. Choose a motherboard based on your build’s requirements: if you’re looking for a powerful gaming rig, find one with PCIe Gen 5 (PCIe 5.0), which can transfer 32GT/s of information. Other features worth considering are M.2 slots, the number of RAM slots, SATA ports, and overall size (measured in form factor).
- How To Pair Apple Watch In 4 Steps (With Photos) Learn how to sync your Apple Watch to other devices in this helpful guide.
- Just How Big is Tesla’s Gigafactory in Texas? It’s rumored to be the largest building in the world, and is also powered by renewable energy, with the goal of achieving net zero energy.
- iPad vs Samsung Tablets: Full Comparison, Specs, Which Is Better If you’re shopping for tablets, two contenders worth comparing are the iPad and the Samsung tablets.