Technology is an integral part of education, and choosing the right laptop for your middle school student is a big decision. Whether they’re using it for everyday activities such as browsing the web, word processing and doing research, or more complex tasks like creating presentations or coding, laptops are an essential part of every student’s life.
Moreover, the pandemic has made many companies shift to remote working, and learning institutions are not left behind. Most schools now offer online learning, so your child will need a good laptop to attend lectures and develop various skills. With the right laptop, students can stay connected and easily access online resources to complete their schoolwork. A good laptop should be fast, reliable, and able to handle a range of tasks.
We’ve rounded up the seven best laptops for middle schoolers that offer great performance, good battery life, and a variety of features at reasonable prices. From Apple’s lightweight MacBook Air to Microsoft’s versatile Surface Pro, here are the seven best laptops for middle schoolers. Read on to learn more about the best laptops for middle schoolers.
- Best Overall: Apple MacBook Air
- Best Budget Option: Acer Chromebook Spin 311
- Best Compact: Dell XPS 13 (2022)
- Best Touchscreen: Google Pixelbook Go
- Best Battery Life: Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 5 OLED Chromebook
- Most Versatile: Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7
- Most Stylish: ASUS VivoBook 15
Best Overall: Apple MacBook Air
The Apple MacBook Air is the best overall laptop for middle schoolers. This powerful and lightweight laptop offers exceptional performance and portability, making it perfect for students on the go. It offers a powerful Intel Core i5 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB of storage. It is lightweight and slim, so it can be easily carried around. The display is an impressive 13-inch Retina display which is perfect for viewing movies, playing games, or doing schoolwork. The battery life is excellent, lasting up to 18 hours.
Moreover, the MacBook Air comes with macOS preinstalled, offering a secure and reliable operating system. The combination of speed, reliability, and design makes the MacBook Air the perfect choice for middle schoolers. Plus, it’s also extremely durable and reliable, so you can be sure it will last through all your student years.
Check out Apple MacBook Air on Amazon.
- MacBook Air 13.3" with Retina Display - 30W USB Type-C Power Adapter - USB Type-C Charge Cable (2m) - Apple 1 Year Limited Warranty with 90 Day Technical Support
- Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU and 7-core GPU
- 16-core Neural Engine
- 16GB unified memory
- 512GB SSD storage
Best Budget Option: Acer Chromebook Spin 311
The Acer Chromebook Spin 311 is an ideal laptop for middle schoolers who are on a budget but still want a reliable machine. This laptop offers a variety of features that make it great for students, such as its 11.6″ HD display, Intel Celeron N4020 processor, 4GB of RAM, and 32GB of eMMC storage. In addition, this laptop has an impressive battery life of up to 10 hours on a single charge, making it perfect for taking on the go.
The Acer Chromebook Spin 311 also has a versatile design that allows it to be used as both a laptop and a tablet. With its touchscreen display and 360-degree hinge, students can easily switch between laptop and tablet modes for added versatility. In addition, this laptop has two USB Type-C ports and two USB 3.1 ports, giving students plenty of connectivity options for their accessories.
The Acer Chromebook Spin 311 offers excellent performance and a great feature set at an affordable price, making it one of the best budget laptops for middle schoolers. With its long battery life, convertible design, and ample storage and connectivity options, this laptop is an ideal choice for students who need a laptop that can keep up with their educational needs.
Check out Acer Chromebook Spin 311 on Amazon.
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - An operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues...
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
Best Compact: Dell XPS 13 (2022)
For middle schoolers looking for a laptop that offers both power and portability, the Dell XPS 13 (2022) is an excellent choice. It’s small enough to fit in a backpack, but it still packs plenty of punch with up to a 10th-Gen Intel Core i5 processor, up to 8GB of RAM, and up to a 512GB SSD. The XPS 13 also has an incredibly thin and lightweight design, making it easy to carry around. The 13-inch FHD InfinityEdge display looks stunning and offers vibrant colors, sharp details, and wide viewing angles. The Dell XPS 13 (2022) is a great option for any middle schooler looking for a powerful yet portable laptop. With its 7-hour battery life, this laptop can easily keep up with students all day.
Additionally, its robust cooling system ensures optimal performance while minimizing noise levels. Its precision trackpad allows students to be more accurate while completing tasks, while its backlit keyboard makes typing easier in low-light conditions. On top of all this, its speakers provide clear audio so students can enjoy their favorite music or watch movies and videos. Finally, its Windows 11 operating system provides access to all the latest applications and features to help students get ahead in their studies.
Check out Dell XPS 13 (2022) on Amazon.
- [Latest And Greatest] Released in 2022 The XPS 9315 Laptop is Dell's latest release in the 13" XPS family and comes with all the latest technology including DDR5 Memory clocked at a whopping 5200MHz...
- [Display & Graphics] This XPS 9315 Laptop comes with a 13.4" Non-Touch Screen with FHD+ (1920x1200) resolution for stunningly clear visuals and a an integrated graphics card built into the Intel Core...
- [High Speed RAM And Enormous Space] The 8GB DDR5 RAM Running @ 5200MHz will let you smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once and a 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive will...
- [Operating System] Windows 11 is Microsoft's latest Operating System released in 2022 and if you want to downgrade to the older windows 10, you can downgrade with an easy download from Microsoft's...
- [Extra Details] A Wecbam comes integrated. Wifi and Bluetooth come integrated. [PORTS & SLOTS] Thunderbolt 4 (USB Type-C) with DisplayPort and Power Delivery x2USB-C to USB-A 3.0 adapter (included in...
Best Touchscreen: Google Pixelbook Go
If you’re looking for a laptop with great performance and a touchscreen, then the Google Pixelbook Go is a perfect choice. This laptop offers a lightweight and slim design while still boasting plenty of power with an 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB of storage. The 13.3-inch display is a touchscreen with a 4K resolution, making it perfect for drawing and editing.
The battery life on the Pixelbook Go is also very impressive, lasting up to 12 hours on a single charge. It has two USB Type-C ports for quick data transfer and charging and a 3.5 mm headphone jack. The Pixelbook Go also runs Chrome OS, making it easy to use and maintain. With its sleek design and long battery life, the Pixelbook Go is one of the best laptops for middle school students who prefer to take notes or draw on their laptop screen rather than using a traditional keyboard and mouse.
Check out Google Pixelbook Go on Amazon.
- Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours  so you don't need to carry a charger; when you do need a charge, get up to 2 hours of battery use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going...
- Lightweight Chromebook laptop that's barely 2 pounds and 13 millimeter thin with a grippable design making it easier to carry
- Protects your data passwords, and information with the Titan C security chip and built-in antivirus software; Chrome OS updates automatically to give you the latest features and security 
- Starts up in seconds so it's always ready when you are; the 8th Gen Intel Core Processor is quick and responsive powering everything you do
- Pixelbook Go is a quiet and comfortable laptop with a backlit keyboard ultra quiet keys, and and a spacious touchpad that only needs a light touch
Best Battery Life: Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 5 OLED Chromebook
When it comes to laptops for middle schoolers, battery life is an important factor to consider. The Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 5 OLED Chromebook offers impressive battery life with up to 16 hours of usage on a single charge. This laptop also features an eye-catching 13-inch OLED display that produces stunning visuals and vibrant colors. The Duet 5 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and 4GB RAM, providing a smooth and responsive performance while multitasking. Plus, it comes with a detachable magnetic keyboard and a USB-C port for fast charging and data transfer.
Other features include Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, a USB Type-A port, and a MicroSD card reader. Additionally, the laptop runs Chrome OS, which means you can access all the apps on Google Play Store. With its lightweight design, extended battery life, and powerful specs, the Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 5 OLED Chromebook is one of the best laptops for middle schoolers who need a device that will last them all day long.
Check out Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 5 OLED Chromebook on Amazon.
- OLED Display: 13.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Touchscreen, 400 nits, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut; TÜV Rheinland Eyesafe Display and SGS Eye Care Display Certification mean the OLED Dispay emits 70% less blue...
- More Power: Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 (8Cores, 2.55GHz) | Chrome OS Operating System | Integrated Qualcomm Adreno GPU Smoothly stream content and play your favorite games.【Ship from Happy...
- Memory & Storage: 4GB LPDDR4x RAM, 64GB eMMC flash memory.
- Dual 2-in-1 Ultra-portability: 2-in-1 Laptop allow you to switch easily between four different modes. 【1】laptop mode for typing your novel or emailing work and 【2】tablet mode makes reading...
- Features: Ultralight weight, USB-C, 16 Hour Battery Life, Wi-Fi 5, FHD Webcam, Bluetooth 5.0.
Most Versatile: Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7
The Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7 is a top-of-the-line laptop designed to deliver the best of both worlds — power and portability. It features an Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, making it powerful enough to handle all your middle school tasks. It has an adjustable hinge, so it can be used as a laptop or tablet. The device also has a great battery life, lasting up to 10.5 hours on a single charge.
This laptop has an optional detachable keyboard and stylus, making it the perfect choice for students who need to take notes and do creative projects. The laptop’s 12-inch touchscreen display allows you to use the stylus to draw, sketch, or type easily.
The Surface Book Pro 7 comes with a number of ports, including USB Type-A and Type-C, an SD card reader, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to stay connected and transfer files quickly and conveniently. The laptop runs on Windows 10 Pro and can access the Microsoft Store and Office 365.
Overall, the Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7 is an excellent laptop choice for middle school students who need something versatile and powerful. With its impressive specs, long battery life, and optional detachable keyboard, the Surface Book Pro 7 will keep up with your studies and creativity.
Check out Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7 on Amazon.
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than Surface Pro 6, with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- More ways to connect, with both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light Surface Pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All-day battery life up to 10.5 hours, plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80% in just over an hour
Most Stylish: ASUS VivoBook 15
The ASUS VivoBook 15 is a stylish and durable laptop perfect for middle school students. It has a sleek, modern design with its diamond-cut edges and thin profile. Its 15.6-inch NanoEdge FHD display offers great viewing angles and vivid colors, while the backlit keyboard makes it easy to type in low light. Plus it’s not just about looks — this laptop is also incredibly powerful. It has an Intel Core i3 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB of SSD storage. This combination makes it more than capable of running all the software and apps your student might need for their middle school education.
The VivoBook also has USB 3.2 ports, an HDMI port, and a microSD card reader for connecting peripherals. Plus, the laptop has a fast-charging battery that provides up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge.
In addition, the ASUS VivoBook 15 comes with Windows 10. That means you can get started right away with homework and other tasks. Also, since this laptop weighs just over 3 pounds, it’s easy to take it with you wherever you go.
Check out ASUS VivoBook 15 on Amazon.
- 【Storage & RAM】Enjoy up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 20 GB of...
- 【Processor】11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz Quad-Core Processor (8MB Intel Smart Cache, up to 4.20GHz)
- 【Display】15.6-inch Full HD LED touchscreen (1980 X 1080)
- 【Operating System】Windows 11 Home, 64-bit, English
- 【Connectivity】Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 combo
How to Pick the Best Laptop for Middle School: Step-By-Step
When shopping for the best laptop for middle school, there are many factors to consider. It’s important to think about your needs, budget, and usage. To help make the decision easier, here are some tips on what to look for in a laptop:
- Battery life
- RAM and storage
- Display and resolution
Now let’s explore each in more detail.
When it comes to finding the best laptop for middle school, battery life is critical. It’s important to ensure the laptop can last a full day of classes or after-school activities. The average middle school student will require a laptop with a battery life of at least 8 hours. That’s long enough to get through the day without worrying about charging the laptop between classes or during lunch.
For those who require longer battery life, there are several models that offer up to 16 hours of battery life on a single charge. These include models such as the Apple MacBook Air and the Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 5 OLED Chromebook. Both of these laptops provide more than enough power to get through the day and can be used for after-school activities or studying.
RAM and Storage
Make sure you choose a laptop with enough RAM to accommodate multiple applications and files. 4GB of RAM is usually enough for the average user, but 8GB of RAM is recommended if you will be working with large files or running more intensive programs. For storage, look for laptops with a minimum of 128GB SSD for optimal performance.
Processors play an important role in a laptop’s overall performance. Generally, the more powerful the processor, the faster the laptop can run programs and applications. A good processor should be able to handle all of the student’s needs without too much lag or slowdown. Look for laptops with an Intel Core i5 or higher processor if your child needs a powerful machine for multitasking. Alternatively, an Intel Core i3 processor will provide plenty of speed for basic tasks.
Display and Resolution
Laptops for middle school should have at least a 12-inch or larger display. This will provide plenty of screen real estate for tasks like taking notes, researching, and completing assignments. Look for LED or IPS displays, as they typically offer brighter colors and improved viewing angles. The higher the resolution, the sharper the image will look on the display. Look for laptops with 1080p or higher resolution displays, as this will ensure that text looks sharp and images look clear.
When selecting the best laptop for your middle schooler, always consider your budget and what kind of features you need for the money. On average, you should expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $1000 for a laptop suitable for middle school students. The price range will depend on the features, specifications, and brand of laptop that you choose. Chromebooks are often some of the most affordable laptops available, offering users great specs and features at a fraction of the cost of other models. For those with a bit more to spend, Apple MacBooks and Dell Inspirons are also great choices.
It is also important to consider any additional costs that could be associated with the purchase of a laptop. These costs could include extended warranties, accidental damage coverage, software subscriptions, and more. While these additional costs are not necessary, they can provide peace of mind and extra protection against potential issues that could arise in the future. Don’t forget to look for deals, discounts, and sales on different models as well
The portability factor is what makes laptops such an appealing choice for middle school students. In most cases, a lightweight laptop with a good balance between portability and performance will be the best choice. You want a laptop that’s easy to carry around and isn’t too heavy or bulky. Most modern laptops are relatively light and slim, which makes them ideal for middle schoolers on the go. Generally, a laptop under 4 pounds should be fine for most middle school students.
What to Know Before Buying a Laptop for Middle School
When buying a laptop for your middle schooler, there are a few important things to consider. First, decide how the laptop will be used. Is it primarily for school work, or will it also be used for entertainment and recreational activities? If the laptop will be used for both school work and recreation, you’ll want to look for a laptop with enough versatility to handle both tasks. You’ll also want to consider the size of the laptop. Some laptops are designed for portability, making them great for carrying back and forth to school. Finally, consider the price range. Depending on the type and features of the laptop, prices can vary significantly.
Once you have determined what the laptop will be used for, the next step is to decide which features you need. If your child is using their laptop mainly for school work, you’ll want to look for one with plenty of memory and storage capacity, a fast processor, and a good display. If they will be using the laptop mainly for recreational activities such as gaming or streaming videos, you’ll want to look for one with a good graphics card and a large enough screen size.
It’s important to understand the different types of laptops available. Chromebooks are popular among students due to their low price and lightweight, but they don’t have as much power or memory as other laptops. Apple MacBooks are well-known for their strong performance but can be expensive. Windows laptops from Dell and Lenovo offer good value for money, while Microsoft Surface devices provide a tablet-like experience. Asus VivoBooks offer great specs at an affordable price. Always remember that different types of laptops offer different features and benefits, so do your research to find the right one for your middle schooler.
Using a Laptop for Middle School: What It’s Like
The best laptops for middle school students should be lightweight and portable, have a long battery life, and be durable enough to withstand the wear and tear of daily use. They should also have enough processing power and storage to handle schoolwork and any extra-curricular activities. Additionally, it’s also good to have a device that can run educational software, games, and streaming services.