- Your monetary investment in a drone should be weighed against your drone flying experience.
- Drones are all pretty much fun to fly, but isn’t quite the same without a camera attached to capture stunning views!
- You also want to decide what camera quality you will need. This will be the most important decision when choosing a drone that’s right for you.
The idea of flying a drone with a camera is thrilling. Not only does it allow you to take stunning aerial photographs and videos, but it also lets you get close to nature in a way that few other gadgets can. Plus, drones are becoming ever more popular among professionals because of their ability to capture shots that would otherwise be impossible to get.
There are many drones on the market right now, but which ones have cameras? To find out, we’ve spent weeks carefully considering manufacturers, reviews, specs, and other factors to determine which of these awesome devices delivers the best overall performance. Our pick is likely to be the best choice for most people.
Here are our top five best drones with cameras:
- Best Overall: DJI Phantom 4 Pro
- Best Drone for Beginners: DJI FPV Combo
- Best Budget-Friendly: DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo
- Best Professional Drone: Force1 U49WF FPV Drone
- Best Drone for Event Pictures: Holy Stone HS440 Foldable FPV Drone
Best Overall: DJI Phantom 4 Pro
- The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 camera drone comes equipped with a 3-axis motorized gimbal and a 1-inch 20MP CMOS sensor with a mechanical shutter that eliminates rolling shutter distortion.
- The standard controller features a smartphone holder. You will need to install the DJI GO 4 App on your phone to fly your drone.
- The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 is a beast when it comes to flight performance. It has a maximum flight speed of 72 kph and an 8km transmission range with 1080p livestreaming and automatic frequency switching...
- The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 offers Intelligent Flight Modes such as TapFly, ActiveTrack, Draw mode, Gesture mode, and more. Draw lets you control the flight path with a fixed altitude simply by creating a...
- DJI GO 4 App requires iOS 10.0.2, Android 5.0 or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE, iPad Pro, iPad,...
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 is our top pick for the best drone with a camera. It’s a fully-featured drone that has everything you need to capture quality videos and photos. It’s a bit more expensive than the other drones on this list, but it’s also the best for aerial photography.
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 is a great camera drone for those who have some experience flying them. Nevertheless, it comes with DJI’s “Smart” flight modes that make it easy for new pilots to capture the perfect shot. It also has a 1-inch 20MP CMOS sensor and a mechanical shutter, allowing you to shoot in lower light conditions than most competitors.
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 flight time is better than most of its competitors at 30 minutes per charge. It can also fly up to 45 miles per hour, making it a strong contender for the best racing drone. That’s why it’s best suited for aerial photography and videography.
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 is great for those who want a drone with a functional camera ready to go right out of the box, without requiring extra batteries or additional software updates. The drone can also capture 4k video at up to 60 fps and 1080p video at up to 120 fps for slow-motion shots.
|Control Type||App Control|
Check out the DJI Phantom 4 Pro on Amazon.
Best Drone for Beginners: DJI FPV Combo
- IMMERSIVE FLIGHT EXPERIENCE: Feel the thrill of immersive flight provided by the DJI FPV Goggles V2 and DJI FPV’s super-wide 150° FOV, giving you an ultra-smooth, real-time view of your...
- 4K/60FPS VIDEO: The DJI FPV aircraft can record 4K/60fps video at up to 120 Mbps, capturing crisp details that make footage look as exhilarating as the flight.
- BRAND-NEW S MODE: Get the dynamic look of FPV footage easily in S mode. This hybrid flight mode combines the freedom of flying manually with the simplified controls of previous DJI drones.
- ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES: An auxiliary bottom light, Smart Return to Home (RTH), Low Battery RTH, and forward and downward obstacle sensing are all integrated into DJI FPV to help ensure a safe...
- OCUSYNC 3.0 TRANSMISSION SYSTEM: Enjoy crystal-clear real-time and HD Low-Latency Transmission video, even at distances of up to 6.2 miles.
The DJI FPV Combo is an excellent drone for beginners as it offers all the features you need to get good aerial footage without any fuss. Its four-legged design makes it easy to fly, and its wide field of view makes the quality of its 4K video footage more than sufficient. The camera has a six-axis Gyro stabilization control system and a two-way transmission system that allows you to record footage in HD quality. You will also get the option to adjust the angle and distance from which your footage is viewed.
The battery life is between 10-20 mins, and it takes about 4-5 hours to charge. It’s also rechargeable with the help of an integrated USB cable. It’s made from plastic and metal, so you can use this drone for up to three years. What’s more, it can be controlled from a distance of up to 1200m with the help of an alternative controller. The Skysensor Technology that this drone uses allows it to fly very smoothly in all types of weather.
It has got four rotors, two of which are designed to help it stay stable in the air when needed. The other two rotors allow it to fly rapidly. In addition, the drone can reach a distance of about 700m when using FPV mode and about 1500m when using LOS mode.
|Video Resolution||4K HD|
|Control Type||Remote Control|
Check out the DJI FPV Combo on Amazon.
Best Budget-Friendly: DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo
- Imaging Above Everything - With a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad Camera, the sensor provides a 12.8-stop dynamic range that retains more details in highlights and shadows, upgrading your work to a professional...
- 46 Minutes of Flight Time - Stay in the air longer and capture more with a breathtaking max flight time of 46 minutes. This lets you get all the shots you want on just a single battery.
- Fly Safer - DJI Mavic 3 drone with camera is equipped with advanced Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing. This lets you fly confidently and safely wherever you are.
- Explore and Capture more - the DJI Mavic 3 drone offers a 15-kilometer max transmission range, which means you can fly farther to explore and capture more. And with the O3 plus Transmission system,...
- Smart Return to Home - With a new Advanced RTH system, Mavic 3 camera drone can return to its home point on a fast, safe, and optimized route. Whether activated by low battery or the pilot, getting...
DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo is the best budget-friendly drone with a camera. It comes with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera that gives you the opportunity to shoot high-quality images. In addition, it has a lot of amazing features, such as a 5,300 mAh battery that allows you to fly for up to 46 minutes. Its flight time gets reduced by only 5 minutes when in sport mode.
The drone also has a three-axis gimbal and is able to support the camera in any position. The camera itself can rotate 360 degrees horizontally and 180 degrees vertically. It also has a range of 2 km from the controller. This high range allows you to capture images from different angles. Thanks to its advanced self-protection system, you can use the DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo drone anywhere you want.
Its obstacle sensing system gives you the opportunity to control the drone even if it’s far away from you. It also features a return-to-home function that enables you to quickly get back on track when the drone loses its connection to the controller. The DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo also has GPS and GLONASS support, making it easy for you to track your location and avoid obstacles. With this feature, your drone will hone in on GPS signals and map data for fast results.
|Control Type||Remote Controller|
Check out the DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo on Amazon.
Best Professional Drone: Force1 U49WF FPV Drone
Force1 U49WF FPV Drone is the best professional drone with a camera, which can shoot HD videos and photos with a 120°wide-angle lens. A 5.8G FPV system and headless mode enable you to fly it easily, even iif you’re a first-time flyer. In addition, a 360°Eversion and 4-level adjustable speed allow you to fly it in various modes. A 4GB SD card is also provided to record high-quality videos and photos.
This drone is equipped with a 720p HD camera and can shoot 12MP photos. The auto-flight features include altitude hold, headless mode, and one-key return home for easy operation. Altitude hold enables the drone to maintain its altitude and hover steadily at an optimal height.
Headless mode switches the forward direction of the drone from your perspective to that of the drone, so you no longer have to worry about the direction its front is facing, making it easier for you to fly it back. The one-key return home option also enables the drone to find its way back to its launching point.
|Video Resolution||720p HD|
|Control Type||Remote Control|
Check out the Force1 U49WF FPV Drone on Amazon.
Best Drone for Event Pictures: Holy Stone HS440 Foldable FPV Drone
Holy Stone HS440 Foldable FPV Drone is the best drone for event pictures because of its compact and foldable design. It comes with everything that you need to fly inside, and straight out of the box. This drone has features like Gravity Sensor Function, Automatic Hover, Headless Mode, One Key Automatic Return and Follow Me Function, and 4 Channel 6 Axis Gyroscope for extra stability.
It would be great for taking videos and aerial photographs with the 2 batteries and the carrying case that come with it. You can fly this drone indoors on a flat surface without any fear that it will crash into you. The build quality is also impressive. In addition, the manufacturer claims that the drone has a flight time of 40 minutes.
|Control Type||Remote Control|
|Brand Name||Holy Stone|
Check out the Holy Stone HS440 Foldable FPV Drone on Amazon.
How To Pick The Best Drones With Cameras: Step by Step
To choose the best drones with cameras, you have to consider many factors. We considered the camera resolution, the range and stability of each drone, and how easy they are to repair. Here are the top considerations:
- Camera Quality
- Range And Stability
- Flight Modes
- Camera Stabilization
- Camera Mounts/Gimbals
- Pilot App
- Battery Life
- Camera Accessories
Let’s look at each one in more detail.
The resolution of the drone’s camera is perhaps its most important feature. As the camera quality increases, so does the level of detail in photographs and videos. Shudders’ HD camera footage is absolutely stunning, particularly because you can see so much detail on the ground.
In addition, a very high-quality camera allows you to zoom in and see your subject up close. This is especially useful in taking photos of animals. Similarly, you can zoom in on landmarks to get an even wider perspective if you’re taking a video.
Range And Stability
As with most drones, the range is critical for finding the perfect shot. Many of the best drones with cameras have a range exceeding 500 meters, providing more flexibility for shooting for longer periods. Additionally, many of the best drones have stability features that allow you to take aerial pictures and videos at low altitudes.
Many drones come with a variety of different flight modes that allow you to capture certain types of shots. Flight mode functions range from simply taking pictures and videos to complex sequences that mimic helicopter or other aerial craft motions.
Most drones these days will allow you to change their flight modes using a remote controller, while others may require you to edit the flight mode in your app before taking a picture. We prefer drones that offer an easy-to-use feature.
While most of the best drones with cameras have a 3-axis gimbal, there are some that offer extra features such as 4K, high-speed shooting, and 360-degree rotation. These features make it easier for you to capture the most exciting moments and broadcast live footage from your drone on Facebook and YouTube.
The gimbal is one of the critical components of any drone. It ensures that the camera is always stabilized and locked in a specific position. Without a gimbal, pictures and videos look shaky. Apart from the main camera, some of the best drones come with secondary cameras for capturing photos and videos at an angle. What’s more, many of the best drones come with a 360-degree camera mount that allows you to capture footage in all directions.
Gimbal and fixed-wing drones are the most commonly used models. While the former is usually cheaper, it requires you to use propellers and motors to stay in the air. On the other hand, the latter requires a little more skill to operate. Do you prefer powered or non-powered flying? If you’re planning on taking your drone outside, please don’t forget to go out of range so that anyone around can’t spot it.
If you’re like most people, you want to store the videos and pictures captured by your drone on a memory card. However, many drones have limited capacity, since they’re designed for use with specific apps. Make sure to get a drone that supports a large SD card so that you can capture more data without worrying about running out of storage space.
A good drone pilot app will provide easy access to features that are often hidden from the user. Furthermore, many of the top drones have mapping and tracking features that allow you to monitor your drone’s location in real time. This is essential once you’re a mile away from your camera.
The battery life of a drone also depends on how much it’s used. We suggest you buy a drone with the longest battery life possible; preferably one that can be swapped out in emergencies.
The best drones with cameras usually come with different accessories to facilitate shooting and recording. For example, many drones include a GoPro mount for attaching your camera to the top of the drone. Others include a storage container for keeping your gear in one place and an extra battery for a longer flight time. We recommend only buying drones with these accessories if they are truly necessary.
What To Know Before Buying the Best Drones With Cameras
Before buying the first drone with a camera that catches your eye, there are a few things you need to consider. First, it pays to do your research. While we’re confident that all of the drones on this list are fantastic, knowing something about their history and past success is a good thing when picking out the best models.
It’s also important to consider what your intended use for the drone will be. If you’re looking for a recreational drone, you’ll want something similar in size and capabilities to the drones mentioned above. For example, if you’re looking for a drone to take photos and videos of events or wildlife, something that can fly at higher altitudes is better suited.
Getting the best value for your money is essential when purchasing a drone with a camera. That means considering whether or not you need a 4K cam, or if you want something cheaper with 1080p resolution and other features that come at a cheaper price. There are a few excellent drones with 1080p cameras on this list, and they’re also very popular among customers.
Using Best Drones With Cameras: What it’s Like
Flying a drone with a camera is an exhilarating experience. You’re in the perfect position to get the best views of your surroundings, whether you’re exploring a major city, looking for wildlife in the mountains, or examining a stunning landscape. In short, drones are an excellent way to capture memories that you won’t want to forget, providing you with some unique footage.
These flying gadgets also deliver a new perspective. You can instantly understand how a piece of land’s topography would affect the way that’s used, or what the landscape looks like from far away. In addition, you can find out more about your subject’s natural habitat. For instance, it’s much easier to understand why an animal has chosen to live in an area when you have the ability to hover above and see where it hunts and hides.
Keep reading more articles about drones!
- DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro: Reviewed for 2022 and Best Deals. Check out all the details on this drone for 2022!
- DJI Mini SE vs. Mini 2: Full Comparison with Specs, Price, and More. We show you the differences on these two versions of the Mini.
- DJI Mavic 3 Cine: Reviewed for 2022 and Best Deals. Interested in the Mavic 3 Cine? We show you the best deals!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©FRYPE/Shutterstock.com.