- When choosing the best drone for fishing footage, there are several factors to consider, including price, flight modes, stability, waterproofing, and specs.
- The Yuneec Typhoon H Plus was voted the best overall drone for fishing footage.
- If budget is a concern, the DJI Mini SE may be for you.
Seasoned fishermen know the story of “The one that got away.” Well, with new technology making drones for fishing footage and pictures a reality, the need to prove your catch was a whopper has gotten a lot easier. Just take your UAV fishing buddy on your next trip and get all the great shots to preserve the memories and show the world your catch.
One problem, though, is the world of tech and advertising can be confusing. To help starters, we’ve done some research on the top drone to create lasting fishing memories, complete with recommendations, specifications, and things to consider before buying.
So, let’s dig in and see what the best drones for fishing footage are and how they stack up in 2022.
- Best overall drone for fishing footage: Yuneec Typhoon H Plus
- Best budget option: DJI Mini SE
- Best for underwater footage: GENEINNO Tether Titan Pro
- Best for traveling: Parrot Anafi
- Best video quality: Holy Stone HS700E
- Best for beginners: DJI Mavic Mini
Best Overall Drone for Fishing Footage: Yuneec Typhoon H Plus
- Capture 4K Video and 20MP Photos. 360-Degree Image and Video Capture. 3-Axis Sensor-Driven Image Stabilization
- Up to 1 Mile 2.4/5.8 GHz Wi-Fi Range. Flight Controller with 7" Touch Screen.
- Up to 30 Minutes of Flight Time.
- Intel RealSense Collision Avoidance. Intelligent Autonomous Flight Modes.
- Can Withstand Winds up to 35 mph. 5-Rotor Fail Safe Mode.
With Intel RealSense technology, Yuneec Typhoon H Plus is our number one pick for fishing stills and videos thanks to its superior obstacle recognition.
Yuneec Typhoon H Plus can capture high-quality videos and stills of your angling experiences. It has a range of filming features, including 4K Video and 20MP Photos, 360-Degree Image and Video Capture, and 3-Axis Sensor-Driven Image Stabilization that every outdoor enthusiast will appreciate. Obstacle avoidance gives you confidence that you won’t crash your expensive drone trying to get the best shots.
With up to 1 Mile 2.4/5.8 GHz Wi-Fi Range. Flight Controller with 7″ Touch Screen and Intel RealSense Collision Avoidance coupled with Intelligent Autonomous Flight Modes, your UAV fishing partner will capture all the action. The Typhoon H can withstand winds up to 35 mph and comes with a 5-Rotor Fail Safe Mode that protects your investment by automatically switching from 6 to 5 rotors in the event of a motor failure.
|Flight Time||Up to 30 minutes|
|Max Speed||30 mph|
Check out the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus on Amazon.
As of July 20, 2023, this product is currently unavailable on Amazon. Please check back later.
Best Budget Option: DJI Mini SE
- Light as a Smartphone - Weighing less than 0 55lbs / 249 grams, DJI Mini SE is roughly the same weight as the smartphone. In the United States and Canada, you can fly this camera drone without the...
- Capture on the Go - The lightweight and powerful DJI Mini SE camera drone is the ideal for creators on the move. The ultra-portable design allows you to effortlessly capture moments in unforgettable...
- More Time in the Sky - DJI Mini SE's weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer drones on the market. Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery.
- Capture the Detail - DJI Mini SE supports 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K HD videos. A 3-axis motorized gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear ultra-smooth footage.
- Upgraded Wind Resistance - DJI Mini SE can resist 29-38kph winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an...
Any angling enthusiast who wants to film their trophy catches and outdoor experiences but have limited funds to invest will find DJI Mini SE a great place to start.
The Mini SE is lightweight (just 249g), so you can skip the red tape and get right to filming. With a 30-minute flight time and 2.48-mile HD transmission capability, you won’t miss a beat. With multiple camera settings in the Quickshot mode, like Dronie, circle, rocket, and helix, you’re sure to get the angle and effect you’re looking for.
|Flight Time||30 minutes|
|Max Speed||30 mph|
Check out the DJI Mini SE on Amazon.
Best Drone for Underwater Footage: GENEINNO Tether Titan Pro
While not every fishing enthusiast’s cup of tea, GENEINNO Tether Titan Pro provides a unique dual perspective to increase the overall impact of the pictures and videos you produce.
When most anglers think of fishing footage, they envision an airborne model filming them as they make the perfect cast and bring in a trophy of a lifetime. But what about taking a look from the view of the prey to see what’s down there? That’s right. It’s possible now to remotely control your camera to film this awesome point of view without getting wet. And it might just improve your odds against the most difficult lunkers to locate and catch them.
The Titan is equipped to go to a depth of 150m, taking it where divers can’t go and staying longer (4 hours) to catch all the action. Although great for professionals, the Titan’s ease of use makes it great for novice underwater filmmakers. The drone can be controlled with the remote or your smartphone/tablet using the Android app. FPV goggles are offered as an accessory if you want to immerse yourself in the action.
|Dive Time||4 hours|
|Max Speed||4-5 mph|
|Picture Quality||1080p and 160 degrees lense|
|Video Quality||4K UHD|
Check out GENEINNO Tether Titan Pro on Amazon.
Best for Traveling: Parrot Anafi
- 4K HDR camera with 3x zoom
- Flight time up to 26 minutes
- Cockpitglasses 3 goggles are connected to the drone camera so you can watch in real-time
- Drone has geo-barrier and return-to-home functions
- Includes a Race Mode for drone races
One of the top drones, the Parrot Anafi together with its remote-control can fold up for traveling convenience. Plus, it has quite capable as well.
We’ve reviewed this small foldable drone before, and it’s still our best drone for travel. Stabilized on 5 axes, with 6x zoom, and 180 degrees tilt, this 4K UHD, 48MP unit gives you quality video and stills in most conditions.
The Anafi comes with three package options, the Base, Extended, and FPV. The FPV comes complete with FPV Cockpitglasses for an immersive flight experience. For the fishing videographer, we don’t recommend this upgrade as it is not practical for the active angler. And, with the extended package, you will get all the benefits of the FPV for around $900 less.
|Flight Time||25 minutes|
|Max Speed||35 mph|
|Video Quality||4K Full HD|
Check out Parrot Anafi on Amazon.
Best Drone for Fishing Footage Video Quality: Holy Stone HS700E
A versatile drone for outdoor activities, the Holy Stone HS700E is our top pick for those who love fishing on weekends.
Holy Stone is a low-cost unit and could be our budget choice as well. Even at this price, it can give you fantastic follow-me video using GPS and a 4K UHD camera. With the “orbit flight” mode, you can set your HS700E to circle you at a preset distance and film while you keep casting and catching.
Your flight time will run about 23 minutes in normal conditions, and in the “tripod” mode, the drone will fly very slowly for quality cinematic footage. If you write a review for Holy Stone, they will send you a free extra battery to increase your flight time with a fast switch-out.
|Flight Time||46 minutes|
|Video Quality||4K UHD|
Check out the Holy Stone HS700E on Amazon.
Best for Beginners: DJI Mavic Mini
- Weighing less than 0 55lbs / 250 grams Mavic Mini is almost as light as the average smartphone In the United States and Canada you can fly this camera drone without the need to register your drone...
- The compact yet powerful Mavic Mini camera drone is the perfect creative companion capturing your moments in a way that effortlessly elevates the ordinary
- Mavic Mini's weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer FlyCams on the market Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery
- Mavic Mini supports 12MP aerial photos and 2 7K HD videos A 3-axis motorized gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear Ultra-smooth footage
- What you get DJI Mavic Mini Remote Controller 3x Intelligent Flight Battery 3x Pairs of Spare Propellers 2x Micro USB Cable Gimbal Protector RC Cable (Micro USB connector) RC Cable (USB-C connector)...
Operating DJI Mavic Mini is nothing short of amazing as it’s lightweight and moves fast while still maintaining fabulous video and still quality.
With three speed settings for different situations, DJI Mavic Mini has it all. Slow the drone down with Cine mode, get great shots in Position mode, or cover distance fast with Sport mode. If you are a beginner, give yourself some time to get used to this model because it really moves out in sport mode! Don’t forget quick shots feature that comes with the other DJI Mavic models to hold, circle, and change the vantage point of the drone to get the perfect angle you need to capture your fishing trip exactly the way it went down.
|Flight Time||30 minutes|
|Max Speed||40+ mph|
Check out the DJI Mavic Mini on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best Drones for Fishing Footage: Step by Step
If you’re reading this, you’re probably wondering what to look for in the perfect drone for fishing footage. Here are four things to keep in mind to get the best quality footage and the most bang for your buck.
- Flight modes
We’ve said it before, but it’s worth bringing up again. Set your budget set before anything else. Then you can investigate options in that price range. In this review, only two models fall into the class of “expensive drones.” So, start with what you can afford, and you should be good to go. The great news is these drones all shoot awesome videos and stills.
The camera specs, stability, shooting angles, and a few other considerations are vital. Fortunately, all the drones that made our list have great cameras and will shoot quality videos. So, this really goes back to how much you want to spend. Expensive drones don’t necessarily have better cameras. However, they have stabilization for different weather conditions.
A drone’s speed and maneuverability make a big difference in the quality of video footage. It’s best to get a drone that comes with multiple speed settings so you can adjust to changing conditions.
Drone stability under different flying conditions is paramount to good videos and pictures. When fishing, you’ll encounter different weather conditions. Your drone needs to be able to handle them. Wind is the number one culprit, the same as if you’re in a boat. The models we’ve reviewed all have good stabilization capabilities.
What to Know Before Buying a Drone for Fishing Footage
The number one thing that every angler should know before buying a drone to shoot stills and videos of your next sporting adventure is that you don’t have to break the bank to get great footage. Unless you’re professional creating videos for clients who expect pro-grade films, the drones on our list will give you everything you need for social media, YouTube, and more, at a reasonable price point.
Using Drones for Fishing Footage: What it’s Like?
After testing a ton of drones for all different uses, we can tell you the right drone can open up a world of possibilities. If you take it to the next level and combine underwater with above-surface shooting, you’re going to have some impressive collections of fishing footage. Now go out and get the drone that fits you and let the fun begin!
- The Best 6 First-Person Drones with VR Headsets
- The Top Rated Waterproof Cased For Your Apple iPhone 13 Mini
- Garmin Index BPM Smart Blood Pressure Monitor: Reviewed for 2022 – And Best Deals
The image featured at the top of this post is ©NORRIE3699/Shutterstock.com.