- There are many factors to consider when choosing an air purifier for allergies, including upfront cost, filter replacement cost, performance, and cost of electricity to use.
- The best air purifier for your budget is the Renpho HEPA Air Purifier.
- The best air purifier for overall performance is Conway AP-1512HH Mighty
Air purifiers have a lot of amazing health benefits and can improve your quality of life. They can filter dust, pet dander, germs, and even odors giving your home cleaner, more livable air. But finding the right one to combat your allergies can be a nightmare. There are a lot of great air filters out there, like A LOT. Sort of a mind-numbing amount of options. But don’t worry. We have compiled a list of the best air purifiers that can see you through even the toughest allergy season.
There are a few considerations to look at when thinking about air purifiers that can help with allergies. Most of all, Allergists and the CDC agree that finding an air purifier that has a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter is the best choice. You should also consider price, specificity, and design. Below are our rankings for the best of the best.
- Best Overall: Conway AP-1512HH Mighty
- Best Premium Air Purifier: Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- Best for Small Rooms: Levoit Air Purifier for Home
- Best Against Pet Allergies: Alen BreathSmart Flex Customizable Air Purifier
- Best Smart Option: Levoit Core 400S
- Best Value: Renpho HEPA Air Purifier
Best Overall Air Purifier: Conway AP-1512HH Mighty
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes or up to 874 sq. ft. in 30 minutes. Timer: 1, 4, 8 hours
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter, deodorization filter, and True HEPA Filter reduces 99.999% of 0.01-micron particles, including pollen and other allergens. It also reduces...
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan automatically adjusts to most effectively purify your space as needed providing a new level of clean in real time.
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30 minutes or more in Eco Mode, the fan will turn off to conserve energy, kicking on again when pollution is detected.
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with low, medium, and high settings.
At the top of our list is the Conway AP-1512HH Mighty, an air purifier that lives up to its name. It does an excellent job of filtering pollutants like smoke, pet dander, and dust and offers meaningful protection against airborne viruses. The four-stage filtration process is designed to capture 99.97% of particles. It also includes a HEPA filter that is guaranteed for up to one year. Most consumers report that the filter works like new long into that first year and even past the replacement date.
The design is small and sleek, so it will fit in with the layout of any room. It won’t disturb you while you are relaxing or sleeping as it operates nearly silently. You can monitor air quality to see real-time feedback. In auto mode, the air quality indicator lights up, corresponding to the quality of the air in your house. In terms of price, features, and quality, it is hard to find a better buy than the Mighty.
Best Premium Air Purifier: Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to ensure optimal air quality, including lowering fan speed at night for uninterrupted sleep
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair's HEPASilent technology, delivers clean air, faster, and much more quietly than traditional HEPA filtration alone; Quickly cleans 540sqft large room in about 12.5 min or...
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY STAR rated - uses less energy (30W) than an incandescent lightbulb on low
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma symptoms
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during wildfire season; Removes 99.97% of airborne particles like smoke, dust, viruses and pet dander, while the carbon filter traps...
Due to the price difference and impressive feature set, we ultimately decided to put the Conway Mighty at the top of this list. However, the Blueair Blue Pure 211+ came in a close second. This air purifier has a three-stage filtration system, but the 360 design increases the air intake, improving the filtration. That design feature also makes it great for larger rooms like kitchens or living rooms. It can be placed virtually anywhere in a room and still do a stellar job of filtering irritants.
Despite its size and design, it operates very quietly and can move air more quickly than the Mighty. Unlike the Mighty, however, it is a little pricey, retailing at $300 plus upkeep, like new filters, is more expensive in the long run.
Best Air Purifier for Small Rooms: Levoit Air Purifier for Home
- OZONE FREE: Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in 12 minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology, 360° air intake, and CADR of 141 CFM / 240 m³/h (Clean Air Delivery Rate),...
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter...
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable...
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in...
This category could also be called best for bedrooms as the Levoit Air Purifier for Home does an amazing job cutting irritants from small areas. It is smaller than other air purifiers, which makes it the perfect option for a nightstand or dresser. In addition to the compact design, it runs very quietly, so it is unlikely to disturb even light sleepers
It uses a three-stage filtration system that circulates air every fifteen minutes. There are three filter speeds, so even larger bedrooms can be covered by one device. Built for the bedroom, the Levoit Air Purifier also has a nightlight function with two settings. All this, plus the affordable $90 price tag, makes this air purifier a great choice.
Best Air Purifier for Pet Allergies: Alen BreatheSmart Flex Customizable Air Purifier
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Dust, dander, allergens, pet fur, and odors. Sleek design fits in any space from small to large rooms.
- B4-PURE FILTER: Standard filter that helps eliminate asthma and allergy triggers. All FLEX filters include an antimicrobial compound which help eliminate germs, bacteria, mold, and fungi.
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that removes 99.99% bacteria, aerosolized viruses, and airborne particles larger than 0.1 micron. True HEPA filters last 3-5 months longer than...
- CLEANS AIR FAST: Cleans 700 SqFt every 30 minutes, twice as fast as key competitors on Turbo speed. Sleek design fits in any space from small to extra large bedrooms, living rooms, offices, nurseries,...
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain our community’s health and wellness with cleaner pure air. From back-to-school preparations for classrooms, doctor’s...
This next entry has incredible performance and style. The Alen BreatheSmart Flex air purifier is a great choice for people who struggle with pet allergies as well as chronic issues such as asthma. Its impressive B4-Pure filter is unmatched against allergy antagonists like pet dander and mold. It also does a great job removing pet odor, a necessary function I’m sure all pet owners will agree.
Air circulation happens every 30 minutes, and the HEPA filter can remove 99.99% of bacteria and airborne particles. So, your air stays clean and healthy in addition to allergy relief. The attractive upright design comes in 14 different colors, so it can fit in any room with ease.
The only major drawback is the price. At $349.99, the BreatheSmart Flex isn’t cheap, but for those with pets, it can make all the difference.
Best Smart Option: Levoit Core 400S Air Purifier
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and...
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen,dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps...
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night, as Sleep Mode uses the lowest fan speed (24dB) to create a sleep-friendly space that’s as quiet as falling leave
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for airborne particles, continuously updating the PM2.5 display and creating graphs in the VeSync app so you can see how your air...
For those looking for a great air purifier that can integrate with their other smart home devices, look no further than the Levoit Core 400S Air Purifier. It offers good performance with four speeds that circulate air every 30 minutes. It also operates super quietly, even in the highest setting.
The real draw for this air purifier, though, is the smart options. It can connect with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant and also includes its own app. You can use voice controls to adjust the speeds, check filter life, and create circulation schedules, all using voice control. It is a little pricey, but for homeowners who already have a smart ecosystem, it is perfect.
Best Value: Renpho HEPA Air Purifier
- EFFECTIVE PURIFICATION: With compact frame and 360° air intake, RENPHO air purifier for allergies refreshes the air 5x per hour in rooms as large as 240 sq.ft (22㎡). It only takes 30 minutes to...
- ADVANCED 5-STAGE FILTRATION: RENPHO HEPA air purifier for bedroom upgrades to 5-stage filtration system (pre-filter, intercept coating, true HEPA filter, carbon filter, net filter) , captures pet...
- ULTRA-QUIET SlEEP MODE & SOOTHING NIGHT LIGHT: The air purifiers for bedroom running at a low-noise quiet 24dB in sleep mode, won't bother you while reading, working, studying or sleeping. In...
- 3 FAN SPEEDS & 3 TIMER & CHILD LOCK: Adjust the fan speed mode (in 1, 2, 3 stages) to capture as much air pollutants as required. 3 timers options (2h/4h/8h) enables the air purifier to run only when...
- FILTER CHANGE INDICATOR: The replacement indicator flashes in red to remind you to replace the air filter. We highly recommend replacing the filter every 6-8 months depending on the usage frequency...
The other options on this list all offer great performance, but they come at a pretty high price. If you’re on a tight budget but still interested in a solid air purifier, the Renpho HEPA Air Purifier is just what you need. It has four stages of filtration and performs admirably. It can circulate air around a 240-square-foot room and does so three times per hour. The HEPA filter is going to give you comparable air quality to others on this list but for a much cheaper price point. The low noise level might be the most impressive thing of all. It only produces about 26-52 dB. At $90, this air purifier is a steal.
How To Pick The Best Air Purifier: Step by Step
Hopefully, this list has shed some light on air purifier options. But if you want to find the best air purifier, here are some of the key considerations you should be thinking about.
The CDC recommends that anyone who has allergies to pets, mold, dust, or the countless other irritants floating around in the world should buy an air purifier with a HEPA filter. These filters are designed to remove airborne particles as small as .3 microns. This is important to the filtration process for those with allergies due to the buildup of small particle irritants in the air. If you are looking into a new air purifier, make sure it has a HEPA filter.
It may not be the first thing you think about when you start looking for an air purifier, but it is an important category to consider. This will be a fixture in whatever room you decide to put it in, and picking an ugly air purifier can impact the feel of your space. Not to mention the design can impact the operation. For instance, the Blueair Blue Pure 211+ can handle huge rooms thanks to the 360 design. But it would be overkill in a bedroom (most bedrooms, anyway.) Same for the Levoit Air Purifier for Home – in a big space with high ceilings, you aren’t going to get much performance, but in a small room, it is excellent.
Types of Pollutants
Not all air purifiers are built for the same things. There are some that handle dust and pet dander better, some that are better for germs, and some that do extra things like cool as they go. Finding an air purifier that has the right filter for the things you wish to remove is incredibly important to your decision-making process.
What To Know Before Buying an Air Purifier
It is important to remember that upfront cost is not the only thing you need to consider budget-wise. Over the life of your device, you will need to replace the filters, and this can become costly. Air purifiers also pull a decent amount of power and can impact your electricity bill. There are options that are more energy efficient, but it is important to remember that the sticker price is only a part of the total cost.
- Best Keyboard Switch Springs in 2022—Ranked and Reviewed
- The Best iPad Pro 11-inch Cases for 2022 – Reviewed and Ranked
- The Best Wireless Xbox Headsets: Reviewed and Ranked