The Xbox is one of the most impressive gaming consoles ever produced, with the Xbox One at the top of the series production. Released in 2013, the Xbox One represents the third generation of Xbox consoles with an excellent design and impressive gaming features. With over 2,500 games to pick from, the console offers a range of options for various gaming enthusiasts.
Of all game genres available on the Xbox One, survival games are perhaps the most popular ones. With the console’s emphasis on internet-based features, the Xbox One is perfect for these games where players are placed in hostile virtual environments to survive various conditions. The online feature gives these games a niche as players can interact and even team up in the online spaces, enhancing their experience.
While thousands of survival games are available on the Xbox One, only a few stand out. These games combine great gameplay with cool graphics and a sense of danger, making them even more thrilling. If you are looking for the perfect survival game for your Xbox One, look no further! The following list airs out the most intriguing Xbox One survival games of all time. Let’s get to it.
A veteran in the Xbox One survival games department, Minecraft has been in the gaming market for years. If you are part of the older audience, you may have experienced the 2D version game on your PC as a kid, exploring the Minecraft world as you build and break various blocks.
In 2014, Mojang Studios and 4J Studios partnered to create an improved game version that exposes gamers to endless possibilities. If you enjoyed the game’s previous versions, the Xbox One version would definitely blow your mind away.
Once logged into the game, you are exposed to randomly generated worlds comprised of big blocks with simple textures that enable you to release your creative spark and coin them to your liking.
While most people think that Minecraft is all about stacking and rearranging blocks, the Xbox One version kills this notion right from the tutorial. You are presented with various tools and enchanting items that enable you to complete multiple tasks, such as creating a garden or riding a boat. Nonetheless, the game is far more than an opportunity to develop your critical thinking and creative skills.
- Create and explore your very own world where the only limit is what you can imagine
- Play on your own, or with up to 4 players split screen, or 8 players online
- Import your favorite Xbox 360 worlds to the Xbox One Edition
- Play in Creative Mode with unlimited resources or mine deep into the world in Survival Mode, crafting weapons and armor to fend off the dangerous mobs
- Explore randomly-generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles
The survival game aspect of Minecraft is what makes the game intriguing. As with any excellent survival game, players start with a few resources where they are required to chip off blocks of dirt by hand and fight enemies as they progress. While this may sound tedious, it is worth it once you start completing the structures despite the hurdles.
The increasing challenges the players face in the game’s virtual reality space are what make it quite exciting. At night, after creating your structure, your space is invaded by intruders whom you have to fend off to survive.
Due to limited resources, this may be hard at first, but it gets easier as you progress and gain weapons and other accessories. These can be acquired by mining underground, where the thrill continues as you fight off various monsters. Eventually, you will amass enough resources to upgrade your structure to a moat castle protected by squid guardians.
With a single-player and multiplayer option that allows you to partner with a team online, Minecraft presents one of the best gaming experiences. It is undoubtedly the most fantastic survival game of all time.
- In Rust, there is one goal above everything else: survive - Conquer thirst and hunger, battle the elements, create weapons and stay safe against hostile forces
- Explore a vast and mysterious post-apocalyptic island and figure out how to keep yourself alive
- Intense PVE and PVP battles – Befriend or fight other players, the choice is yours
- Conquer thirst and hunger, battle elements, craft gear and stay safe in a world where everything wants you dead
- Requires internet and Xbox subscription
Although the original game was released in 2013, it was in May 2021 that Double Eleven announced its much-anticipated launch to the Xbox one audience. Nonetheless, the game’s superb gameplay, graphics, and thrilling adventure were worth the wait.
Rust is a multiplayer-only game where players are exposed to harsh virtual reality to survive the extreme conditions. This Xbox One survival game has a Hunger Games-like setting as players are put in an open world where they are pitted against each other. While they may face dangers like wild animals, such as bears and wolves, the primary threat is other players who will undoubtedly maim your character on sight.
The game starts when players are dropped off in a random place in the wilderness with nothing but a rock to survive. The rock is used as a weapon to fight off threats and performs essential functions, such as cutting down trees and breaking other rocks. To survive in the open world, players must gather material to craft tools and weapons by mining.
The game gains an edge over contemporary survival games as players are pushed to overcome different obstacles, including starvation and illnesses such as hypothermia. As such, in Rush‘s open world, you can get food and clothing by killing animals.
Additional supplies are provided by occasional airdrops equipped with supplies. There are also operational vehicles to traverse the vast virtual landscape.
The multiplayer feature adds a whole lot of excitement to the game. A rush of chilling blood flows through your veins as you struggle to get relevant supplies before you are forced to combat opponents. It provides a great gaming experience.
- Explore this immersive and persistent world, where the insect life reacts to your actions.
- Shelter and tools are critical to your survival. Build epic bases to protect you and your stuff from the insects and the elements. Craft weapons, tools, and armor, allowing you to better fight,...
- You can face the backyard alone or together, online, with up to three friends—it is your choice (online console multiplayer requires Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, subscriptions sold...
- Uncover the secrets lurking in the shadows of Grounded as you freely explore the backyard and progress through its mysterious story.
- Optimized for Xbox Series X|S: Games optimized for Xbox Series X|S will showcase unparalleled load times, heightened visuals, and frame rates up to 120 FPS.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live as a miniature person trying to survive the outside world surrounded by crawling insects and with little to survive on? Well, this Xbox One survival game could give you that simulation.
Grounded has had a ton of great reviews since its early access release in July 2020. The full release is just as good, if not better. The game is based on a group of friends shrunk by an evil scientist. You can play in a single or multiplayer mode where you control a character as they try to maneuver the rough backyard terrain.
Players use the character to explore the space as they collect supplies, build elaborate structures, and fight off menacing insects threatening their lives. Your character’s stats and equipment increase as you progress and collect more items. The game does not fetter your creativity, as you can tailor your space to your liking.
One thing that makes the survival game exciting is interactions that periodically break up the action. Throughout the game, you will meet and interact with various non-playable characters, which gives the game a role-playing feel. What makes these interactions even more exciting is the AI-controlled characters inevitably double-cross you, so you have to defeat them despite having created a connection with them.
Despite the exciting storyline and impressive gameplay, the most remarkable part of the game is its impeccable graphics; they are just out of this world. Every blade of grass is perfectly designed, extending to the backyard features that are coded to perfection.
What is meant to be scary is terrifying and what is meant to be a breathtaking sight is nothing less than that. The features could get you hooked on virtual reality for hours.
#4: Day Z
- Online open-world survival game
- Post-apocalyptic landscape based on real-life locations
- Fight for survival with up to 60 players on a single server
- Authentic combat and close-quarters melee systems
- Master a variety of complex survival mechanics
The Bohemia Interactive multiplayer-only survival game is the perfect example of ‘doing whatever it takes to survive.’ With an early access version available in 2013, the game was officially released for the Xbox One console in 2019 and was worth wait. Many players still consider it their favorite Xbox One survival game.
Day Z is set up in a post-apocalyptic world based in Chernarus, a fictional location in the Soviet Republic. It was ravaged by a mysterious virus that wiped out the vast population as others were turned into violent infected persons.
You start the game as a survivor in a fictional location along with two other players with a common aim: survival. As such, you traverse the area gathering supplies, weapons, and medicine, scavenge for food and water, and avoid contact with the infected.
The provided weapons protect the players from zombies and other opponents that may attack them. The range of combat weapons has easy controls so players can adequately defend themselves in their survival bid. The other supplies are utilized to restore and maintain the player’s health as they traverse the dangerous landscape.
The incredible feature of Day Z‘s gameplay is the vast, meticulously designed virtual landscape. The area is 87 square miles with various establishments, which players raid for supplies as they use the map to locate necessities and monitor enemies’ movements at close range. The game could only improve with various gameplay improvements planned in future updates.
Everyone knows of the Chernobyl disaster, where design flaws and human errors caused a deathly nuclear malfunction. Chernobylite, developed by The Farm 51 and All in! Games, is a sci-fi survival game based on the disaster, with its setting in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
Initially released on Microsoft Windows on July 2021 before the Xbox One later that year, Chernobylite has seamless gameplay backed by a fascinating storyline. The game is based on Igor, a physicist formally employed in the power plant, whom the players control as they explore the game’s setting.
Chernobylite is a single-player game in which, through Igor, the players explore the restricted power plant in search of their fiancée. She disappeared before the Chernobyl disaster as they worked together.
Throughout the game, the player picks up supplies and weapons during the expedition, fighting off supernatural mutated beings and hostile military personnel while making essential alliances in their journeys.
It is fascinating that the game has a nonlinear storyline, so players can experience different outcomes based on their decisions. There is no fixed outcome. Thus, any character can die as they face various threats in a hostile environment. It is quite an emotional yet thrilling gameplay experience.
#6: Don’t Starve
- Uncompromising Survival & World Exploration: No instructions. No help. No hand holding. Start with nothing and craft, hunt, research, farm, and fight to survive.
- Dark and Whimsical Visuals: 2D Characters and odd creatures inhabiting a unique 3D world.
- Randomly Generated New Worlds: Want a new map? No problem! At any time you can generate a new living and breathing world that hates you and wants you to die.
- Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience everything from the torrential rainfalls of Spring to the blistering heat of Summer.
- The deliciously dark, whimsical survival experience comes to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the Don't Starve MEGA PACK, including two full games, two DLC packs, a custom controller skin, and split...
As suggested by the name, Don’t Starve is a classic survival game with a point-blank objective: to avoid straving, with dangerous consequences. Don’t Starve is a standalone multiplayer game where players control different characters in a strange, unexplored world filled with lurking dangers and surprises at every corner.
Players start by controlling a scientist named Wilson, who finds himself stranded in a scary parallel universe and struggles to survive. The player’s objective is to keep the renowned scientist fed, healthy, and alive as they evade life-threatening perils for as long as possible. The game’s plot is thickened by the appearance of Maxwell, the antagonist who tries to frustrate the player’s survival bid.
The multiplayer game gives gamers various options, as you can play with friends in a private game or collaborate with online gamers to increase your chances of survival. You can also take your chances and strike out on your own. The choice is yours.
- Dive into a vast underwater world - sub Nautica's ocean range from shallow coral reefs to treacherous deep-sea trenches, lava fields, and bio-luminescent underwater rivers
- Scavenge, craft, and survive - after crash landing in your life pod, the clock is ticking to find water, food, and to develop equipment needed to explore as you collect resources from the ocean
- Construct underwater habitats - build Bases on the sea Floor, choosing layouts and components, and managing hull-integrity as depth and pressure Increase
- Unravel the mystery - signs abound that something is not right and you must Figure out what happened to this planet and what caused you to crash - can you find a way to make it Off the planet alive
- Disrupt the food Chain - lure and distract a threatening creature with a fresh fish, or simply swim as fast as you can to avoid gnashing jaws of roaming predators
What better place to assess your survival skills than the world’s most unexplored frontier: the depths of the ocean? This is the opportunity Subnautica gives you: the chance to virtually explore the deepest part of the ocean while struggling to survive.
The action-adventure survival game developed by Unknown Worlds introduces you to an open world as a lone survivor of a spaceship crash on a remote ocean world. The objective is to survive the foreign planet long enough to fix your ship and escape. However, survival is a challenge. Throughout the period, your character faces various challenges that threaten its survival.
The ocean is filled with both valuable and destructive life. Apart from fending off aquatic dangers, players also collect various pieces of equipment to build structures essential to their survival. Also, find food and clean water.
As you move deeper, the ocean gets more dangerous, so be careful and prepared to face adversaries. Fortunately, you have everything you need to survive the increasing danger as you advance through the game. All you need is to find the right supplies before your time runs out.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©robtek/Shutterstock.com.