- PlayStation Vita is a handheld video game console developed and marketed by Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Vita offers many sports games, including baseball, soccer, and golf.
- Madden NFL 13 and OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood are examples of popular games to play ton PS Vita.
The PlayStation Vita is all about being active, which goes double for its fantastic selection of sports games. Sports games are always exciting to play, but when you’re able to bring the action with you wherever you go with the PlayStation Vita, it just makes the experience that much better.
The Sony handheld controller offers an impressive lineup of sports titles ranging from baseball and soccer to golf and more, ensuring there’s something for every type of sports fan. While there are plenty of great sports games on PlayStation Vita, these are the absolute best, so be sure to check them out if you own the system.
#8: OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
- Revamped Paths and Combos: The sequel boasts all new ramps and epic hills allowing for monster air and multi-route levels. Further, OlliOlli2’s combo system has been expanded with the joy of...
- Expanded Bag of Tricks: The hallowed ‘Tricktionary’ also expands with new specials including 540 Shove-its, Anti-Casper Flips and Darkslides.
- New Worlds and Levels: Five new worlds, 50 new Amateur and Pro Levels and 250 new Challenges to tear through, along with the return of the much loved Daily Grind, Spots Mode and RAD Mode.
- Legendary Soundtrack: Once again, the crate diggers at Roll7 have scoured the airwaves for a shimmering extended soundtrack, including, Cid Rim, Lone, Faulty DL, Submerse and Mike Slott.
OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood is a downloadable ice skating game that’s both fun and challenging. The original OlliOlli was a brilliant blend of skateboarding and pinball, but its sequel takes it to the next level by completely immersing you in the world of competitive skating.
You use your left and right thumbsticks to control your player, and once you’ve mastered the left thumbstick, you can use them both to perform amazing tricks. You’ll need to do this to get through each level and unlock new levels, so it’s worth practicing before diving into this game.
This is one of those games with such depth that even if you’re not skilled at skating or well-versed in video game mechanics, you can still enjoy it! The music is great, the themes are fun (and sometimes even relatable), and there are plenty of ways to challenge yourself with different objectives and rulesets.
Players will be able to skateboard through several different levels of varying difficulty, including obstacles such as ramps and other obstacles designed to test their skills as skaters. The game features four different modes.
The game’s core gameplay involves skating down one of many ramps while trying not to crash into any obstacles in your way. If possible, you’ll need to use grinds, grabs, and other tricks along with your skates and air tricks.
There are also special tricks like grinds off ledges or grinds off rails that can only be executed if you have enough speed. They’ll appear onscreen, allowing you to execute them anytime during gameplay.
|Team17, Roll7, Devolver Digital
|PlayStation Vita, OS X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Android, Linux, Microsoft Windows
|March 3, 2015
#7: EA Sports FIFA Soccer
- Rear Touch Pad Shooting - Enjoy complete control over shooting-the most rewarding part of soccer-by removing the element of "hit and hope." Pick a spot precisely from the rear touch pad and then...
- Touchscreen Passing - A more intelligent and creative way to play and distribute the ball. Make decisive passes with precision and ease utilizing the touchscreen.
- Touchscreen Free Kick Control - Enjoy creative new ways to take free kicks and score utilizing optional touchscreen controls on set pieces. Swipe your finger to aim and curl a shot around the wall for...
- Award-winning FIFA gameplay - Experience the same authentic, responsive and intelligent gameplay as the HD console game, including HD graphics with stunning player models, graphics and animations in...
- Unmatched Authenticity - Compete with over 500 officially licensed clubs in 11 v 11 matches in authentic stadiums from around the world.
FIFA Soccer is one of the most popular sports games on the PlayStation Vita. It has been a staple in the gaming community for many years and has been around since the 1990s. The game features a wide variety of different players to choose from, as well as multiple ways to play the game.
You can play against your friends online or with them on the same console or take on AI opponents if you’re feeling up to it. The graphics are amazing. The player models are simple but easy to understand and look like they belong in real life (which is important when playing a soccer game).
The stadiums look realistic and detailed, and even though they’re all fictional places, they feel authentic somehow, adding to the fun of playing this game. By removing the notion of “hit and hope,” you may enjoy complete control over shooting, the most satisfying aspect of soccer. Select a precise location from the rear touchpad, then craft a shot with pinpoint accuracy.
One of the best things about FIFA Soccer is that there are many modes of play available: a single-player mode where you try to score goals against AI opponents, team-based multiplayer where you play against friends using your custom team, and single-player career mode where you work your way up from being a street punk through various levels.
|EA Romania, EA Vancouver, Extended Play Productions
|PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, Super NES, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
|December 15, 1993 (first release), September 30, 2022 (latest release)
#6: MLB 13: The Show
- Take MLB 13 The Show with you and play anywhere on the PS Vita.
- Multiple all-new game modes bring unique gameplay experiences to The Show.
- All-New Playoff Mode includes an unparalleled in-stadium atmosphere that replicates the excitement and tension of October baseball.
- Revamped Franchise and Road To The Show modes with expanded options and new gameplay experiences.
- Completely-new beginner mode and instructional enhancements make The Show the best pick-up and play baseball experience.
Baseball is a sport that has been at the center of our lives for decades. We’ve spent all summer watching the same game, and we’ve spent all winter watching it as well. That’s why MLB 13: The Show is one of the best PlayStation Vita sports games ever made.
This is the best baseball game for the Vita in terms of graphics, playability, and depth. It has everything a baseball fan could want: stadiums from around Major League Baseball (MLB), amazing graphics and animations, and a deep career mode that lets players develop their own player with stats and skills they earn through playing games in the regular season or postseason modes.
The game has been around for a long time, but it’s still updated with new features and refinements that keep the game feeling fresh. It’s the most realistic baseball game you can get on the Vita — and we’re talking about the best type of realism here.
You can play as any team in Major League Baseball, so you can take on the Red Sox or the Yankees if that’s your thing. You’ll get to play against them, too — there are tons of online modes where you can challenge friends and other players worldwide.
|San Diego Studio
|Sony Computer Entertainment
|PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3
|March 5, 2013
#5: Madden NFL 13
- Only on Vita The Vita's front and rear touch screens provide an unprecedented amount of control and feature depth, from drawing hot routes to swatting passes and stripping the ball; Use the motion...
- All New Commentary Every game has the feel of a nationally televised broadcast with CBS Sports commentators Jim Nantz and Phil Simms calling the action from the booth
- Authentic Franchise Mode Build the next great dynasty with the most robust Franchise Mode ever created on a handheld device includes expanded rosters, pre-season cut days, an updated rookie scouting...
- Become a Superstar Create an NFL Superstar and guide his career from pre draft workout all the way to the Hall of Fame; Control the growth of your superstar with an updated progression system that...
- Take Your Game Online Battle opponents head to head over WiFi, working your way up the leader boards with every victory
Madden NFL 13 is the best PlayStation Vita sports game of all time. It’s a football game that delivers the same kind of fun you’d expect from a top-tier title but with a much smaller scope.
The game takes place in an arena where you can play as any team in the league, which means there are no limitations on how far you can go or how successfully you can manage your team. Whether you’re a casual gamer or a hardcore athlete, this game can be enjoyed by anyone and is guaranteed to provide hours of fun.
The graphics are amazing, and the gameplay is smooth, with no delays or lags in movement like some other games. The soundtrack also gives you that edge-of-your-seat feeling as the music builds up when your team is near victory.
Although it may seem like there are too many in-game purchases, they can easily be ignored if players focus on unlocking them with their hard work first. The controls are simple and intuitive and work well with Vita’s touchscreen interface. The graphics are also great, especially for this type of game.
|Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, iOS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita
|August 28, 2012
#4: MLB 12: The Show
- Take MLB 12 The Show with you and play anywhere on the PS Vita. Users can enjoy modes such as Exhibition, Season, Franchise, and even Road to the Show
- Save files between the PS3 and the PS Vita via the PlayStation Network.. Sync your Season, Franchise and Road to the Show saves and load them on either platform to continue the action anywhere
- Take advantage of the new front and rear touch screens on the PS Vita with MLB 12 The Show. From navigating the menus to pinpointing pitch locations, The Show is at your fingertips
- Play with friends around the world at no extra cost on PlayStation Network
- Enjoy 4-player multiplayer support both online and offline
MLB 12: The Show is a baseball video game developed by SIE San Diego Studio and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the latest installment in the MLB series and was released in 2012 for the PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation 3.
It has lifelike graphics and great gameplay mechanics that allow for deep strategy in on-field matchups. Plus, players love using a large variety of new online social features like joining or creating leagues and messaging their friends in between games.
The gameplay is simple enough — just hit a ball in the air and try to knock it out of the park. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t some strategy involved. There are many ways to score goals, including running or stealing bases. You can also buy new players and customize them with equipment and accessories to fit your style.
|San Diego Studio
|Sony Computer Entertainment
|PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3
|March 6, 2012
OlliOlli is a downloadable 2D side-scrolling skateboarding game focused on tricking — combos of difficult tricks. It’s the perfect mix of arcade and sports games, with a whiplash-inducing difficulty curve and some of the most impressive graphics we’ve ever seen.
The level design is gorgeous, with plenty of visual flourishes that bring the world to life in a way only a PS Vita can manage. There are also unlockable characters and new levels available as downloadable content. You might need some time to get used to the feel of the buttons, but once you do, it’s all good.
The goal is to complete each level with as few obstacles as possible, scoring as high points as possible. The best part is that the gameplay is surprisingly deep and varied, making it easy to spend hours mastering the various levels and challenges.
Most importantly, the controls are responsive and intuitive, making it a pleasure to play for gamers of all levels. If you’re looking for a beautiful, addictive game perfect for on-the-go gaming, look no further than OlliOlli.
|Devolver Digital, Roll7, Curve Digital
|Xbox One, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Android, Nintendo Switch, Linux, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, OS X
|January 22, 2014
#2: Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
With the release of the PlayStation Vita, one thing was clear: a new generation of handheld gaming had begun. With this new wave came new opportunities for developers to create games that could use the console’s unique features and design.
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition was one such game, and it’s still one of the best sports games available for the system today. Developed by Sega, this tennis simulator is far from your average arcade-style tennis game.
What sets this one apart is its realistic gameplay, which takes into account shot power and spin, as well as factors like height differences between players. As if that wasn’t enough, there are also numerous modes in which you can take on AI opponents and other human players via online play or through local multiplayer with friends.
This is one game that takes the handheld experience to a new level. It is easy to play and has an impressive variety of modes. The controls are intuitive, combined with the graphics, making this tennis game an enjoyable and immersive experience.
This title lets you compete against anyone else online or locally in some of the best tennis matches ever seen on a handheld device. The game also includes its built-in leaderboard system to compare your skills against your friends and other players worldwide.
You’ll need to choose from one of the different courts, your choice of player avatar, and then customize your character’s appearance with various outfits and accessories.
|Sega, Devil’s Details
|Xbox 360, Wii, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita
|December 17, 2011
#1: Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
- Enjoy the over-the-top characters, costumes and comedic golf action and stay connected with your friends' latest scores to stay on top of the leaderboard
- Innovative touch panel controls provide access all the info for the next shot with this new touch sensitive interface
- Look down the fairway and golf course in real time to set up the perfect shot
- Master the PS Vita's motion-sensing abilities to add extra power onto shots
- Enjoy support for up to eight player wirelessly, or join a game on PlayStation Network where dozens of players can compete on individual holes
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational is a great game for the PlayStation Vita. It’s got all the best elements of casual sports games — fun, simple controls, quick-paced action — but it also has a lot of depth. You can play male and female characters with different abilities and customize your golfer’s look before every round.
The game has a fantastic amount of content, including six courses and 18 holes. It has online leaderboards, along with local multiplayer online and offline modes. The graphics are great, with realistic-looking golfers and stadiums. The courses are also beautifully designed, with lots of variation in their look and feel.
There’s also an arcade mode where you can unlock new courses and golfers by playing through the challenges it offers. If that’s not enough for you, there’s also online play for when your friends aren’t available to play with. It has everything that makes Hot Shots Golf so much fun to play, along with a few extras to keep things fresh.
|Sony Computer Entertainment
|PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3
|December 17, 2011
PlayStation has always been known for being the place for new and innovative sports games. The Playstation Vita is no different, boasting an impressive lineup of sports games sure to put a smile on any sports fan’s face. While some might be lacking in content (and could really use a few more updates), all of these games are great additions to any sports gamer’s library.
The Best PlayStation Vita Sports Games of All Time: Summary
|PlayStation Vita Sports Game
|Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
|Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
|MLB 12: The Show
|Madden NFL 13
|MLB 13: The Show
|EA Sports FIFA Soccer
|OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
- The 4 Absolute Best PlayStation Vita First-Person Shooters of All Time
- The Absolute Best PlayStation Portable First Person Shooters of All Time
- The Absolute Best PlayStation 5 First-Person Shooter (FPS) Games of All Time
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Travers Lewis/Shutterstock.com.