- Sports games are meant to provide users with a virtual experience of a real-life sport. They are simulations that have realistic graphics and audio.
- PlayStation 5 has many sports-related games, including golf, baseball, and tennis.
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 and Riders Republic are examples of popular sports games to play on PS5.
Sports games are a very popular genre among gamers. With technological advancements, sports games continue to evolve, with gameplay and graphics getting more realistic with each iteration. If you’re a gamer who enjoys sports games, then you know there is no better way to enjoy a game than to fully immerse yourself in a sporting event’s environment.
What are Sports Games?
A sports game is one that attempts to mimic the experience of playing a real-life sport. They are popularly known as sports simulations. Like actual sports, this type of video game has remained popular throughout the course of gaming history.
Sports video games can range from those that focus on the sport itself to others that place greater emphasis on tactics and administration. Most game series use the names and images of actual teams and players and are updated every year to match the actual progress of the leagues and the careers of the players shown inside.
Now, let us take a look at the best PlayStation 5 sports games available today.
#10: Tour de France 2022
- New online mode with leaderboard
- Race incidents (falls, illnesses)
- New preparation system; New interface on cobbled sections
- More intense races with a more aggressive peloton and more collaborative breakaways
- All 21 official stages of the Tour de France 2022; New « Primavera Classic » inspired by a major Italian Race
Our number 10 spot is taken by Tour de France 2022. It is an incredible racing game that Nacon SA published on June 28, 2022. It is a single-player game mode with both English and French language capability.
Most of your time in this game will be spent peddling your way to victory and claiming the yellow jersey. To win, you’ll need to carefully conserve your energy, keep your stamina up, know when to break away from the competition, and finally sprint to victory when the opportunity presents itself.
Rather than focusing on simple racing, Tour de France 2022 emphasizes strategy. It has added modes that allow you to switch teammates, increasing your chances of success. The game considers anything that could happen in real life on race day, such as being sick or out of shape. However, the character designs and bicycle varieties are all identical and call for improvement.
Those who enjoy cycling and the quest for the yellow jersey will enjoy this game. It is packed with options to keep you busy, and it’s possible to have a unique racing experience every time you play, thanks to all the customization choices.
#9: NHL 22
- Powered by Frostbite, EA SPORTS NHL 22 gets the superstar treatment with a huge leap forward in graphics along with the arrival of Superstar X-Factors that elevates the league’s biggest stars with...
- This is breakthrough hockey.
Coming in at number nine is NHL 22, which EA Sports published on October 15, 2021. The game allows for a maximum of 12 concurrent online players. It’s voiced in English and contains a single-player mode and a version for multiple players.
This authentic hockey game simulator’s number of possible outcomes is practically infinite. In multiplayer, the Shot Stick can be used to perform some impressive moves. You can also start with a blank slate and create a team that fits your preferences. We’re not exaggerating when we say this is a truly amazing hockey game.
For the first time in the NHL series, NHL 22 has enabled users to upload and download community-made roster files. In addition to this, they have introduced new gameplay animations such as reverse hitting, pass, and shot blocks. Furthermore, each NHL arena has been rebuilt with a new lighting engine, which has resulted in better visual effects on the ice.
Those who love hockey will enjoy playing this great hockey simulation game. The game can be played in various fantastical settings, like a frozen pond or lake, making this an excellent choice for hockey newbies and fans of such scenes.
#8: Cursed to Golf
This fantastical roguelike golf game was published by Thunderful Publishing on August 18, 2022. This game is voiced in English and is designed for single players. In it, you are killed by lightning just before you win a golf tournament, but if you manage to triumph in Golf Purgatory, you will be given a second chance to take home the trophy.
The gameplay features over 70 predesigned levels, each with its unique set of difficulties and obstacles. The player must pick out a driver, iron, and wedge. After that, they will have five attempts at each hole.
Upon landing, the player can give the ball a spin to significantly alter its trajectory. Throughout the game, keep an eye out for Ace Cards, as they grant the player a momentary upgrade or ability.
Despite the lack of a definite sense of progress, Cursed to Golf remains a highly addicting experience, which is a credit to the brilliance of the gameplay. It’s a roguelike golf game with a twist, thanks to its unique superpowers and how they interact with the environment. The game also boasts a well-balanced mix of appealing visual styles and high replay value.
Golfers who love the idea of being locked in a never-ending golfing purgatory filled with obstacles like sand, water, bumpers, and restless zombies will enjoy this game. You get to focus on clearing the 18 holes on the ever-shifting course, which no one has been able to complete yet.
#7: PGA Tour 2K23
- Take your skills on the PGA TOUR and become the next FedExCup Champion as you compete against TOUR pros and establish new rivalries.
- For the first time, play as male and female pros including Tiger Woods, in online and local play. Also features licensed courses such as East Lake Golf Club, TPC Sawgrass, TPC Scottsdale, and more.
- Create your own dream course with the Course Designer, which features thousands of customizable objects and cross-platform sharing.
- Introducing Topgolf with competitive 1-4 player local and online play, bringing the range’s excitement and fun to both casual and seasoned players.
- Plus, run your own online societies to manage tournaments and seasons or test your skills against your friends in Divot Derby and Casual mode.
The seventh position goes to PGA Tour 2K23. The game was published by 2K Sports on October 14, 2022. It has both single-player and multiplayer modes, with support for up to four concurrent players online.
PGA Tour 2K23 focuses squarely on golf swings. After all, you need between seventy and ninety shots to finish a regular 18-hole round. To swing, you pull down on the right stick before flicking it upward.
To be more accurate, you can use the three-click swinging. Here, you first hold it down to establish your swing’s force and tap it twice to fine-tune its precision, then swing your way to becoming the new virtual Tiger Woods.
This golfing simulation is top-notch, and the gameplay is fantastic. 2K Sports did a great job by including various career addition options and a character-building feature that raises your golfing prowess over time.
Numerous celebrities, such as the great golfer Tiger Woods, are now playable. Game commentary and music might need some work as they rarely complement the on-screen action. Many actual golf courses still need to be included in the game.
However, you’ll adore this game if you’re a golf lover who wants a realistic recreation of the course, complete with practical ball and stroke mechanisms. Playing this game feels like being on a real golf course, making it one of the most exciting and adaptable options for golf fans.
#6: FIFA 23
- Features over 19,000 players, over 700 teams, over 100 stadiums, and over 30 leagues
- Play as women's club teams for the first time in FIFA history
- HyperMotion2 Technology utilizes real-world motion capture for more realistic animation
- Play some of the biggest men’s and women’s soccer tournaments
- Customize your own dream team in FIFA Ultimate Team
FIFA 23 was published by EA Sports on September 30, 2022. Due to the contract’s expiration between FIFA and EA Sports, this will be the series’ final installment. It’s possible to play this game online with up to 22 other people, and it supports both single-player and multiplayer modes. There are English, French, German, and Dutch voiceovers, making this a well-rounded game.
You can play both men’s and women’s World Cup modes. More than 700 clubs and 19,000 players are available, making it possible to simulate the biggest championships in football. Furthermore, thanks to the game’s cross-play capabilities, you can still have fun competing against your friends, collecting additional rewards, and acquiring new features.
With it being the final installment of the FIFA game series, fans had high hopes for this release. With technology improving, EA Sports has introduced new customization options and improved street and stadium gameplay, making this game one of the few truly realistic football simulations on the market. This game update came with polished soundtracks and better modes to keep players engaged.
If you’re a football fan who believes the sport can also be played with the hands, this is the game to play. Playing it seems more like the real thing, thanks to the excellent acceleration dynamics customized to each player.
#5: Riders Republic
- Battle against over 50 players simultaneously in a massive multiplayer playground.
- Compete in an all-out mass start race—collide, grind, and fight your way to the finish
- Customize your character to show off your style to your friends or show up the competition.
- Bike, ski, snowboard, or wingsuit through a seamless open world in Career mode or multiplayer events.
- Go wild on the heights of iconic US national parks like Yosemite, Zion, and Bryce Canyon.
The fifth position in our list goes to the Riders Republic. It was released on October 28, 2021, by Ubisoft. Due to the fact that it can accommodate up to 50 players at once, this game is fantastic for competitive multiplayer sessions. The voiceover was performed in the English language.
This game has highly diversified activities such as mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, and Rocket Wingsuit. Each of these activities also has its progression system to advanced levels. Players unlock new gears, outfits, and useful accessories as they progress through the various paths.
At a certain point in the game, players do reach important milestones and get to sign with real-world sports sponsors and gain access to additional funds that can be used to purchase various in-game components. Each team competes in an arena and needs to perform as many tricks as possible to win the game.
Ubisoft has done an incredible job with this action-packed game. They have combined skiing and biking in a setting that is so vibrant and realistic. Riders in the game have a really busy world with a lot going on, especially with the exciting and crazy events that are constantly available to participate in.
The graphics are stunning. However, we anticipate additional updates to address issues such as the jetpack’s sluggishness.
You’ll love this if you like racing games, whether they involve bikes, rocket gliders, snowboards, or anything else. Riders Republic is the perfect game for anyone who enjoys participating in a vibrant online community where gamers from all over the world compete in exciting tournaments across a beautifully rendered world map.
#4: WWE 2K22
- Get ripped out of the stands and hit with complete control of the WWE Universe. Hitting this hard has never been so easy.
- Everything from the controls to the graphics have been redesigned, and feels as real as being ringside at WrestleMania.
The fourth position goes to WWE 2K22, which 2K Sports published on March 11, 2022. It is a great game with online player support of up to 8 gamers. The game can be played in single or multiplayer mode.
WWE 2K22 is a wrestling simulation that allows players to play through the most significant moments of their character’s WWE career. Players can make their wrestlers, form alliances as well as make enemies.
When you win matches, you level up and gain access to additional celebrity wrestlers, lavish outfits, and better wrestling arenas. Players can also establish a formidable wrestling team by building, managing, collecting, and upgrading their wrestlers.
With this being the ninth edition in the WWE 2K series, there has been a lot of progress made, but there is still a long way to go before it’s perfect. However, the game graphics have been greatly improved, with well-simulated arenas with roaring fans resembling live television ones.
The game’s controls and camera angles have also been enhanced to create a more realistic and satisfying experience. WWE 2K22 is for wrestling fans who have always wished they could see their favorite wrestlers compete against one another in a virtual game setting where they have complete control over every aspect of the match.
#3: MLB The Show 22
- Every pitch. Every hit. Every win. Make your mark and Own The Show in the ultimate MLB® experience
- Whether you're an aspiring rookie or veteran of the diamond, there are now more ways than ever to create and build your legacy
- Step up to the plate and take your place amongst Baseball's legends
- This is more than just a game - this is The Show
MLB The Show 22 takes the third position on our list. It was released on April 5, 2022, by Sony Interactive Entertainment, and it supports both single-player and multiplayer modes. For online group playing, it supports up to 8 players at once.
The game’s basic rules are straightforward, but there are many advanced tactics to learn and master. You can play any way you like with various customization options, including checking your swing, player-locked sliding, and more. If you’re going to try to steal a base, you should work on your sliding skills to increase the odds that you’ll reach the base before the pitcher does.
As is customary with the yearly baseball series, MLB The Show 22 was expected to come with many new features and make the gameplay experience smoother. The game developers have given the graphics a radical makeover, especially the intros, stats, and overlay graphics. A new broadcast team has been introduced, giving the game a fresh look, and the commentary is now on par with an actual baseball match.
Anyone looking for a baseball game where they can take control of their favorite MLB players will adore this simulation, as it portrays the sport accurately. It is the game for you if you want to feel like you’re always in the middle of the baseball season, where you are in constant competition with other baseball gamers online.
#2: NBA 2K22
- A WORLD OF BASKETBALL: NBA 2K22 puts the entire basketball universe in your hands. PLAY NOW in real NBA and WNBA environments against authentic teams and players.
- Build your own dream team in MyTEAM with today’s stars and yesterday’s legends.
- Live out your own pro journey in MyCAREER and experience your personal rise to the NBA.
- Flex your management skills as a powerful Executive in MyGM and MyLEAGUE.
Our second position goes to NBA 2K22, which was published on September 10, 2021, by 2K Sports. It’s great for gaming communities that enjoy playing together, as it supports up to 10 online gamers at once.
NBA 2K22 is roughly divided into three sections – MyCareer, MyTeam, and MyNBA. MyCareer includes all your extracurricular activities, such as shopping for new clothing and participating in tournaments and pick-up games.
MyTeam enables you to build the ultimate squad through drafting. You have a better chance of obtaining more and better players if you win more games.
The gameplay in NBA 2K22 is remarkably different from that of previous editions. A lot of balance has finally been brought into the game. Shooting has also come a long way and is now highly user-friendly.
There is a significantly higher chance of success while shooting. The dribbling system has been overhauled to make it feel more natural and added more dribble moves. Compared to its predecessor, whose defense was pretty awful, a lot of work has gone into making this one more responsive.
The game is designed to let you experience the thrill of living out your fantasies, just like a real NBA star. You will get to create your own dream NBA squad with your preferred lineup of NBA stars and battle it out with other gamers in the tournament.
#1: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
- Break skateboarding boundaries, show off your own style, and be part of the next generation of skaters and creators with Tony hawk's Pro skater 1 + 2.
- Skate as the legendary Tony hawk and the original Pro roster, plus new pros
- Hit insane trick combos with the iconic handling of the Tony hawk's Pro skater series
- Play all the original game modes and go head-to-head with local 2-player modes
- All the Pro skaters, levels and tricks are back and fully-remastered, plus more.
This incredible skateboarding video game is our pick for the best overall PlayStation 5 sports game available today. It was released on March 26, 2021, by Activision. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 supports up to 8 players concurrently in an online multiplayer setting and contains a single-player option.
In this skateboarding video game, the player’s main objective is to rack up as many points as possible and amass a collection of in-game items. The player’s score increases based on how well they execute and combine tricks, including aerials, flips, grinds, and lips.
Players must complete a series of other special challenges to advance through the game’s levels and unlock additional content. The gameplay is similar to the originals but has improved in many ways.
The Create-A-Park feature is an excellent addition for those waiting for personalization options. This feature gives you a wide range of choices for customization, including the ability to create and share your maps with friends.
It also lets you create your character with customizable options for apparel and skateboards that can earn you money. Plenty of challenges have also been introduced, and several new male and female skaters have been added.
Skaters and fans of skating will love this game because it is incredibly entertaining and super addictive. It’s a very engaging game for skaters who want a satisfying skating experience with endless possibilities without really needing to skate physically.
Summary of the Best PlayStation 5 Sport Games
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
- NBA 2K22
- MLB The Show 22
- WWE 2K22
- Riders Republic
- FIFA 23
- PGA Tour 2K23
- Cursed to Golf
- NHL 22
- Tour de France 2022