The Sony PlayStation 4 offered a wide array of video games, from adventure to puzzle games and everything in between; a few withstood the test of time. With millions of downloads, thousands of hours played, and an extensive fanbase, there’s a genre for everyone.
Action games are those that physically and mentally challenge the gamer. This genre is popular because it requires hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and even teamwork. But what are the absolute PlayStation 4 action games of all time?
There are many action games to choose from, but this list includes the ones players have enjoyed for years – grossing more money and selling more copies than any other releases since the console hit the market in 2013. Whether you’re looking for a game you have yet to play, or you want to see if your favorite made the cut, this article is for you.
The Best PlayStation 4 Action Games
Some action games got a lot of hype and fizzled out shortly after their release. Others were very trendy among niche gamers but faded away in distant online forums. A select few appealed to all gamers.
For their appealing storylines, battle-royale characteristics, or mass-multiplayer online, here’s our list of the best PS4 games:
Marvel's Spiderman is a PS4 exclusive that is wildly popular among superhero fanatics and action gamers. You don’t have to love comic books to love this game.
Join Peter Parker and his fearless alter-ego Spiderman on his quest to save New York City from a devastating bioweapon. Complete missions and upgrade your gadgets by completing side quests. Use your web shooter, spider drone, and web bombs to destroy your enemies.
Your goal in this game is to defeat Mr. Negative and save your friends and the city, all while maintaining your civilian livelihood.
Marvel’s Superman was released in 2018 by Insomniac Games and grossed more than $20 million. More than any other game on our list. It is the top-earning game of all time on the PS4.
- Enhanced experience on PS4 Pro
- DLC Code included in game (Works on North American consoles only)
- Beautiful graphics
- Heart pumping action
- Touching story to make even the most hardened of gamers cry
Grand Theft Auto V
Grand Theft Auto V's campaign lets you help Franklin achieve his modest goals of moving out of his aunt’s house, Michael’s goal of rekindling his strained relationship with his children, and Trevor’s goal of taking over Los Santos. Or, you can play online with friends (and griefers) worldwide. Completing heists, collecting cool weapons and vehicles, or completing missions as a CEO, GTA V online has something for everyone.
The campaign mode lets you switch between characters, interact with interesting NPCs, and gain achievements. The engaging storyline, weapons and cars, and in-game money make this a challenging yet rewarding game.
GTA V was Rockstar’s first game in the franchise to offer players online play.
The 2013 game, originally released on PS3, is wildly popular on the PS4. This Rockstar Games release continues to attract gamers worldwide and sold more than 19 million copies on the PS4.
- The biggest, most dynamic and most diverse open world ever created and now packed with layers of new detail
- Grand Theft Auto V blends storytelling and gameplay in new ways as players repeatedly jump in and out of the lives of the game's three lead characters, playing all sides of the game's interwoven story
- Grand Theft Auto V also comes with Grand Theft Auto online, the dynamic and ever evolving Grand Theft Auto universe for multiple players
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
While Call of Duty: Black Ops, released in 2010, was originally a PS3 game, the following game, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, did equally well on the console. But Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 dominated the PlayStation 4.
Set in the year 2065, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 has a 4-person play campaign mode, online mode, and, yes, zombies. The campaign mode has an engaging storyline that takes the player to exciting places like Ethiopia and Singapore, completing missions and battling NPCs.
The online mode, the more popular game mode, lets gamers play online with friends and foes. Upgrading weapons and getting the highest K/D to unlock achievements are part of dominating Call of Duty maps and your enemies.
The Call of Duty franchise has dominated the first-person shooter battle genre for over a decade. Developed by Treyarch and published by Activision, Call of Duty: Black Ops is the highest-grossing PS4 action game in the series bringing in $15 Million since its release in November 2015.
- Eight fully remastered Zombies maps
- GobbleGum functionality for the very first time
- Chew on 10 all new GobbleGums, including 2 new Whimsical GobbleGums
Red Dead Redemption 2
Help Arthur take on this wild west version of GTA. Choosing between the gang that has taken care of him and his own conscience, Arthur must complete missions, avoid arrests, and pay off bounties to complete the campaign mode. But do be careful, if you’re caught in your nefarious acts, nearby NPCs will sound the alarm, and simple tasks become much more challenging.
The mass-multiplayer online mode lets gamers team up with their friends to complete missions, collect gold, and unlock achievements. Finish objectives, upgrade your character, and level up in Red Dead Redemption’s online mode.
This western-adventure game lets us live the outlaw life, mounting horses, fishing for our dinner, and finding treasure. Rockstar Games released Red Dead Redemption on the PS4 in 2018 and sold 14 million copies.
- From the creators of grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption
- the deepest and most complex world Rockstar Games has ever created
- covers a huge range of 19th century American landscapes
- play as Arthur Morgan, lead Enforcer in the notorious Van Der Linde gang
- interact with every character in the world with more than just your gun.engage in conversation with people you meet. Your actions influence arthur's honour.horses are a cowboy's best friend, both...
God of War (2018)
Join Kratos years after defeating the Olympian Gods as he tries to fulfill his second wife’s dying wish. With his son Atreus in tow, you must survive the harsh lands of Nordic Gods, and defeat mythological enemies to beat the game.
While Atreus uses his trusty bow, you’ll start the game with a Levithian ax and guardian shield until you reunite with Kratos’s trademark weapon, the Blades of Chaos. Defeat enemies, from Draugrs to dragons and dark elves all while mentoring your misguided son.
Developed by Santa Monica Studios, this Sony Interactive game grossed $19 million since its 2018 release. You’ll love God of War if you love mythology, hand-to-hand combat, and stories of heartache, revenge, and brevity.
- Living as a man outside the shadow of the gods - Kratos, together with his son Atreus, must venture into the brutal Norse wilds and fight to fulfil a deeply personal quest.
- Discover an emotionally gripping tale of father and son.
- Journey to a dark, elemental world of fearsome creatures.
- Conquer your foes in vicious close-quarters combat.
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Another Naughty Dog production, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End takes you on an adventure with Nate Drake. Searching for Henry Avery’s long-lost treasure is the ultimate goal of this game, but there are a few hiccups along the way.
Using Nate’s acrobatic skills combined with stealth skills and an awesome array of pistols lets you defeat insurgents, soldiers, and other villains intent on stopping you from getting the treasure. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End sold 15 million copies and raked in $10 million in sales on the PS4 since its 2016 release.
The Last of Us: Part 2
Another Sony exclusive, the sequel to The Last of Us (TLoU), starts five years later with Ellie and Joel. Taking on new missions, defeating new enemies, and set on revenge, TLOU2 has a wonderful storyline, fascinating characters, and plenty of disease-ridden enemies.
This 2020 action and survival game let us switch between Joel, Ellie, and Abby. All are trying to survive the post-apocalyptic with makeshift weapons and long-range pistols. Pick up a few medical supplies along the way because you’ll certainly need them to heal yourself or your friends.
This Naughty Dog Production sold 10 million copies on PlayStation. Players love this PS4 game for its intriguing storyline, interesting characters, and combat sequences.
- A Complex & Emotional Story-Experience the escalating moral conflicts created by Ellie's relentless pursuit of Vengeance. The cycle of violence left in her wake will challenge your notions of right...
- A Beautiful Yet Dangerous World - Set out on Ellie's journey, taking her from the peaceful mountains and forests of Jackson to the lush, overgrown ruins of greater Seattle. Encounter new survivor...
- Tense & Desperate Action-Survival Gameplay - New & evolved gameplay systems deliver upon the life-or-death stakes of Ellie's journey through the hostile world.
Get in on the Action
While some of these games are older, they continue to be amazing PS4 games. Some of these games immerse us in a world of fantasy and heroism, conquering our enemies and saving the world. Others let us battle other gamers on PvP maps.
You’ll find something to enjoy about every game on our list while we patiently await new releases like Elder Scrolls VI and GTA VI.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©alphaspirit.it/Shutterstock.com.