- Anbernic makes very niche devices that appeal to an audience who really loves the idea of retro gaming on a small screen and on the go.
- Adding games to any of the Anbernic consoles is usually pretty straightforward by connecting the device or a microSD card to a computer and dragging and dropping the ROM files into the appropriate folder.
- Anbernic does a great job of improving their devices every year but, for now, the RG552P is the best Anbernic handheld gaming device available and one of the best retro gaming devices period.
Retro gaming is all the buzz these days as gamers turn to both nostalgia and a simpler time in gaming for playing on the go. There’s just something about playing Super Mario Bros. 2 for the thousandth time that feels really special.
If you want to play games from the console generation eras gone by, you can easily do that with some fantastic retro handheld gaming units. No company is more at the forefront of this handheld retro gaming trend than Anbernic. Their selection of portable consoles is second to none in the space and has helped it to build a loyal fanbase in only a few years.
Let’s take a look at the best Anbernic handheld gaming devices available today so you can pick the one that’s best for you.
- Best Overall: Anbernic RG552
- Best Build Quality: Anbernic RG351MP
- Best Mid-Range: Anbernic RG503
- Best Game Boy Lookalike: Anbernic RG351V
- Best Pocket-Friendly: Anbernic RG300X
- Best Small Package: Anbernic RG280V
- Best Windows: Anbernic WIN600
- Best Value: Anbernic RG351P
- Best Retro Style: Anbernic RG353P
Best Overall: Anbernic RG552
- 5.36-inch HD touchscreen display
- 6400mAh battery
- Hexa-core 64-bit CPU
- Compatible with Android and Linux operating systems
- Dual stereo speakers
- Includes charger
Determining the best Anbernic handheld gaming device is a bit like choosing your favorite child. You like them all for different reasons. However, if only one has to be chosen, then look to the Anbernic RG552 as the best overall option.
Considered one of the fourth and latest generations of Anbernic handhelds, the RG552 succeeds with a 5.36-inch 5:3 touch display that offers excellent quality for a handheld gaming device. The Rockchip RK3399 SoC and 4GB of RAM make the RG552 powerful enough to emulate PSP, Dreamcast, N64, and the occasional Sega Saturn title. Of course, the dual combination of both an Android and Linux operating system also means you can load thousands of Android games which expands the game library in a big way.
One thing Anbernic users can always count on is a vibrant community dedicated to improving the default software, and the RG552 should anticipate even greater performance as more people get their hands on this device. The stronger the performance, the more you’ll be tempted to use HDMI output to play directly from the device to a big screen.
Check out the Anbernic RG552 on Amazon.
Best Build Quality: Anbernic RG351MP
- [ANBERNIC RG353M 3.5 Inches Full viewing Angle IPS screen]: 3.5-inch IPS full viewing angle, zero distance OCA full fit/ 640*480, multi-touch，The tempered glass used for double protection has the...
- [Dual OS System Android11+Linux ]: Android built-in front-end ,Supports multimedia network play,LINUX system supports wired gamepad function2.4/5G WIFI 802.11a/b/g/n/ac,Bluetooth 4.2 ,Linux 64 bit...
- [3500MAH LARGE CAPACITY BATTERY ]: Built-in 3500mAh large capacity lithium battery. Long standby time and long battery life. Support up to 7 hours of games. Supports fast charging by using a USB...
- [SUPPORT A VARIETY OF GAMES]: Compatible with more than 20 emulators. Support users to download games in relevant formats It comes with a free 64G TF card, pre-installed with more than 4420+ games,...
- [UPGRADE CHIPand Aluminum Alloy CNC]:RK3566 Quad-Core 64 bit Cortex-A55, Main frequency up to 1.8GHz Support built-in WIFI online fighting, streaming, HDMI/Support 3.5mm stereo earphones/ Energy...
If you want an Anbernic handheld gaming device that feels truly premium, the Anbernic RG351MP is ready to answer the call. Right away, the aluminum build quality jumps out as a truly solid feeling and gives it a premium feel that few handheld gaming devices can match.
Along with the excellent outer shell, the RG351MP excels with its dual analog sticks and USB-Charging. For gaming sessions up to 8 hours, you’ll be able to emulate titles all the up to the PS1 almost flawlessly. Unfortunately, N64 and Dreamcast are rather hit or miss, but any systems prior to their release will be outstanding, as the RK3326 quad-core chip is a true CPU workhorse.
Emulation fans will love the 4:3 screen ratio on the 3.5-inch display, which perfectly emulates many consoles like the NES, SNES, and more. That you can add thousands of your own ROMs for more than 10 consoles thanks to the expandable memory is all the more reason to own the RG351MP.
Check out the Anbernic RG351MP on Amazon.
Best Mid-Range: Anbernic RG503
- 🌼 4.95 inches OLED full view screen : 4.95-inch OLED full view screen /960*544 ,the display effect is very clear. The tempered glass used for double protection has the characteristics of scratch...
- 🌼3500MAH LARGE CAPACITY BATTERY : Built-in 3500mAh large capacity lithium battery. Long standby time and long battery life. Support up to 8 hours of games. Supports fast charging by using a USB...
- 🌼SUPPORT A VARIETY OF GAMES: Supports more than 20 emulators. Support users to download games in relevant formats. Support users to download the relevant format of the game. It comes with a free...
- 🌼UPGRADE CHIP: The video game console uses the RK3566 Quad-Core 64 bit Cortex-A55, Main frequency up to 1.8GHz, which can solve the problem of frame loss in the game, run the game perfectly, and...
- 🌼Support 5G WIFI 802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.2 + Multilanguage + 3.5mm stereo earphones + High quality double horn stereo speaker ,4193 different games are free on the body, you can download and...
The ideal mid-range handheld gaming device, the Anbernic RG503 is a good middle ground in Anbernic’s lineup.
The 4.96-inch OLED 960 x 544 display is really fantastic for the size and makes the RG503 a real joy to play. In fact, the RG503 uses the very same OLED screen as the PlayStation Vita and the quality of that display was almost universally beloved.
As the first Anbernic device to feature the RK3566 CPU, performance was increased over past generation models (RK3326) and just falls behind the performance of the more premium RG552. Performance on console platforms up to the PS1 will be flawless, while Dreamcast is hit or miss depending on the title (but, unfortunately, more hit than misses).
The RG503 comes in three different colors: black, blue, and grey, and comes with a Linux frontend ensuring custom-built software is definitely going to happen. Regardless of color, the 3500mAh battery provides up to 8 hours of battery life for gaming all day.
Check out the Anbernic RG503 on Amazon.
Best Game Boy Lookalike: Anbernic RG351V
- 【BUILT-IN 2500 CLASSIC GAMES】64G SD Card Built in 2500 classic games, all original and no repeat. Opendingux System, Can add emulators and games with related format. Perfectly support...
- 【3.5 INCH IPS SCREEN】 3.5 Inch High-definition IPS Screen, OCA full lamination/ 320*480 , very clear display. Tempered glass, double protection with scratchproof and anti-fall, brings exciting...
- 【3900MAH HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY】 Built-in 3900mAh high capacity lithium battery for ultra-long standby time and battery life. Support up to 6 hours game playing. Support fast charging with USB...
- 【Upgrade chip】This video game console uses the RK3326 chip, which can solve the problem of frame dropping in the game, run the game perfectly, and make your game screen smoother.
- 【HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL】 L1/L2/R1/R2 Keys use OMRON FRETTING Button to increase button life by 3 times and one million times press. Built-in TWO loudspeakers with inspiring sound effects. Unique...
The Anbernic RG351V looks so much like a Game Boy at first glance, you very well could mistake it for one. That is until you look closer and see the Joystick protruding from the bottom of the hardware. The joystick plus L1, L2, R1, and R2 buttons on the back enable game support from more than a dozen different consoles up to the PS1.
The iconic-looking design includes a 3.5-inch IPS screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio so it will show most consoles in their native aspect ratio.
Unlike the Game Boy, you also get built-in Wi-Fi for multiplayer gameplay and support for custom firmware on the RK3326 chip. The 3900mAh battery will offer up to 5 hours of gameplay which means all you have to do is decide what to play out of the 2,500+ games that come included with the RG351V or add your own ROMs with the expandable memory.
Check out the Anbernic RG351V on Amazon.
Best Pocket-Friendly: Anbernic RG300X
- ▶Pre-installed 5171 games: RG300X with a 64G tf card pre-installed 5171 games support vibrating games.Perfectly Supports 20 kinds of game formats,transplant games.Support users to download by...
- ▶3.0 inch IPS screen: OCA full lamination/640*480,long-term gaming is not tired, and less irritating to the eyes.Support HDMI TV output.
- ▶Large-capacity battery: Li-polymer 2500 mAh portable game console with Type-C fast charging interface.RG300X handled game console can lasting 6 hours.
- ▶Multi-functional game console: RG300X Supports lossless music 3.5mm stereo earphones, support energy saving setting, display brightness, interface background.
- ▶Exquisite appearance, comfortable feel, let you fondle admiringly.Please feel free to contact us if any questions. We’ll reply within 24 hours.
Anbernic’s love for emulating the look and feel of Game Boy consoles continues with the Anbernic RG300X.
This blink-and-you-might-miss-it clone of the Game Boy Micro is truly pocket-friendly for taking with you on the go. Stuck on a bus or train? The RG300X is the ideal solution with its 5,100 plus pre-installed games. What it lacks without a joystick it more than makes up for with pocket-friendly size and a deep library of titles.
A 3” IPS screen offers 640 x 480p resolution along with HDMI TV output so when you want to game on the big screen, you just need to connect the included HDMI cable.
For all of the games included you want good battery life, and the RG300X delivers with up to 6 hours on its 2500mAh battery. The only downside is that the compact size required a less powerful chip so PS1, Dreamcast, and NintendoDS games will be hit or miss.
Check out the Anbernic RG300X on Amazon.
Best Small Package: Anbernic RG280V
- ★2020 New Upgraded RG280V Game Console with IPS Screen :2.8 Inch High-definition IPS Screen,OCA full lamination/ 320**3*480 , very clear display. Tempered glass, double protection with scratchproof...
- ★Opening Linux Tony System : Free with 64G TF Card with 5000 classic games , Perfectly support CPS1、CPS2、FBA、NEOGEO、NEOGEO...
- ★ Support 1：1 Game speed 60 HZ and Support tf card max to 256GB + 2.8 inch full view IPS + Vibrating motor
- ★Multifunction--support lossless music: Can use as video player, music player, e-book reader ,more interesting than simple handheld console. Built-in speaker with inspiring sound effects, unique...
- ★External BP-5L 2100hAh battery: for last for fun more than 7 hours ---The best birthday gift for children . Support fast charging with USB Type-C cable. Brings lots of joy and happiness to you...
The (can we call it vertical?) “vertical” handheld gaming device from Anbernic is one of the many reasons the company has been successful. They’re willing to push into new form factors and see what works. Thankfully, the Anbernic RG280V is one of those new form factors that just works.
This no-frills handheld is one of the least expensive in Anbernic’s lineup but inexpensive doesn’t mean poor performance. If you’re okay with just playing up to PS1 on your device, the RG280V’s 2.8-inch screen is great for quick gaming sessions on the go. Support for microSD cards up to 256GB will allow you to put thousands of games on the small screen so you’re never wanting to try a new game.
Even with its small frame, the RG280V adds a 2100mAh battery for up to 7 hours of fun and can quickly fast charge with its included USB-C cable.
Check out the Anbernic RG280V on Amazon.
Best Windows: Anbernic WIN600
- 5.94-inch OCA HD touchscreen
- 1280 x 720 resolution, 16:9 ratio, 400 nits brightness, and 247 PPI
- AMD Athlon Silver 3050e Dali APU up to 2.8GHz, AMD Radeon RX Vega 3, 8G DDR4 frequency: 2400MHz
- Support music APE, MP3, WMA, OGG, APE, FLAC, WAV, AAC (including AAC-LC, AAC HE, AAC+V1/V2), and other full-format audio
- Games: Steam, PC, XBOX360, PS3, 3DS, PS2, WII, PSP, DC, SS, NDS, NGC, N64, PS1, CPS1, CPS2, FBA, NEOGEO, GBA, SFC, GB, FC multiple platforms.
- Comes with a one-year warranty
(Please note that as of July 17th, 2023, the Cintwor WIN600 5.94’’ PC Handheld Game Console, AMD Athlon Silver 3050e Dali APU up to 2.8GHz, AMD Radeon RX Vega3 Graphics, 8G DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD and Built-in Win10 System in the color black is currently unavailable on Amazon. Please check back later.)
One of Anbernic’s most interesting consoles thanks to its Windows support, the Anbernic WIN600 opens the door to far more than just emulation. Whereas the rest of Anbernic’s lineup relies heavily on both Android and Linux environments, the WIN600 can add games from your Steam library as well as other streaming services. Another major differentiator is the inclusion of a USB-A port so you can add a thumb drive and play games directly from the drive.
The AMD Athlon Silver 3050e processor isn’t going to win any awards but it’s powerful enough to emulate consoles up to PS1 with some support for Dreamcast.
No matter what game you play, you’ll be playing on a 5.94-inch 1280 x 720p multitouch display with a 16:9 aspect ratio. With 400 nits of brightness, it’s bright enough to play indoors and outside with ease.
Check out the Anbernic WIN600 on Amazon.
Best Value: Anbernic RG351P
- ★ ANBERNIC 3.5 INCH IPS SCREEN: 3.5-inch high-definition IPS screen, the display effect is very clear. The tempered glass used for double protection has the characteristics of scratch resistance and...
- ★ 3500MAH LARGE CAPACITY BATTERY : Built-in 3500mAh large capacity lithium battery. Long standby time and long battery life. Support up to 8 hours of games. Supports fast charging by using a USB...
- ★SUPPORT A VARIETY OF GAMES： RG351P handheld game console is compatible for open source Linux systems and supports more than 20 emulators. It comes with a free 64G Mirco SD card, pre-installed...
- ★UPGRADE CHIP: The video game console uses the RK3326 chip, which can solve the problem of frame loss in the game, run the game perfectly, and make the game screen smoother.
- ★ Double OTG + 3.5mm stereo headset.+ 3.5inch OCA full view IPS + double 360 degree rocker operation, The 2500 different games are free on the body, you can download and add them according to your...
The best release of Anbernic’s previous generation of handheld gaming devices, the Anbernic RG351P is hands down the best device for Game Boy Advance fans.
The 3.5-inch IPS display works at a 3:2 ratio which matches that of the original GBA, so you get an exact replica on the screen of what the console looked like with the RG351P.
Of course, GBA isn’t the only reason to look at the RG351P as it supports more than 20 different emulators and over 2,500 games come pre-installed. Add your own microSD card and you can easily take that number to well over 10,000 games. The hardware just feels good in your hand as the dual joysticks and buttons all feel solid even with the plastic outer shell.
A 3500mAh battery adds up to 8 hours of gameplay and you can fast charge over USB-C. The RG351P is available in black, white, and purple which just so happens to closely match the purple launch color of the Game Boy Advance console.
Check out the Anbernic RG351P on Amazon.
Best Retro Style: Anbernic RG353P
- Smooth to play with, and stable in quality.
- Compatible with 30+ mainstream simulators
- Pre-loaded with 4500 games
- Use 5G Wi-Fi or Bluetooth 4.2 HDMI HD output
- 3500 mah with 6 hours battery life
For anyone who wants to purchase an Anbernic handheld gaming device that screams retro style, there is only one option and that is the Anbernic RG353P.
The device is a close replica to the Super Nintendo controller but one that plays games and has a 3.5 IPS display with 640 x 480p resolution.
Running on both Android and Linux, the RG353P features the RK3566 quad-core chipset for playing up to 30 different emulators. The touchscreen only works on the Android side of things but it’s good enough that playing Nintendo DS titles feels great and thanks to a low price tag, affordable.
The included 64GB memory card comes with 10,000 games included so you have plenty to do before you even try and add your own ROMs. You can start zipping through any of the included games thanks to a 3500mAh battery that adds up to 6 hours of battery life. When you run out of juice, fast charge the RG353P right back with the included USB-C cable.
Check out the Anbernic RG353P on Amazon.
What to Know Before Buying the Best Anbernic Handheld Gaming Device
As it stands today, Anbernic makes very niche devices that appeal to an audience who really loves the idea of retro gaming on a small screen and on the go. Anbernic is definitely at the head of the class as far as device quality, reputation, and custom firmware, as it has a rabid fanbase that works to improve these devices for years after release.
However, before you buy one, it’s important you know that to play on one of these, you either need to stick to what ROMs are included or get your own. We can’t tell you how to get your own here, but a quick Google search will tell you everything you need to know. Adding games to any of the Anbernic consoles is usually pretty straightforward by connecting the device or a microSD card to a computer and dragging and dropping the ROM files into the appropriate folder.
One major factor when considering which of these consoles to buy is the screen. There is a multitude of different screen formats and display resolutions. For anyone who really wants to play the Game Boy Advance, for example, the RG351P is the best bet, even if it isn’t the newest Anbernic device. Want the largest screen? You have to go with the current flagship, the RG552P.
Using Anbernic Handheld Gaming Devices: What It’s Like
Anyone who loves retro gaming is immediately going to be drawn to one of these devices. Sure, you can play almost all of the same games and more on a good albeit dedicated Android device like the Amazon Fire Tablet, but it requires a separate controller to replicate the same feel as a single Anbernic device.
The gameplay is fun and immediately transports you back to an arguably better time in gaming when you didn’t have to worry about hours-long software updates or loot boxes.
Retro gamers that want the very best will definitely gravitate toward the RG552P as it offers the best combination of hardware, screen, and CPU. Those looking for something a little different will look toward the Anbernic WIN600 and its Windows OS so you can play Steam games alongside your retro library.
No matter which console you choose, you’re going to find a game or a console that just brings you immense joy.
Anbernic makes a lot of great consoles, but the RG552P is the hands-down winner of the bunch, at least right now. Anbernic does a great job of improving their devices every year but, for now, the RG552P is the best Anbernic handheld gaming device available and one of the best retro gaming devices period.
- These Are the 5 Rarest and Hardest to Find Video Games: Attention, collectors – these five games are the rarest and most collectible!
- The Absolute Best Atari Action Games of All Time: Speaking of retro, these are the best Atari games of all time!
- The Absolute Best Game Boy RPGs of All Time: The good ole days were once all about the Game Boy – take a walk down memory lane in this post!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Julia_585/Shutterstock.com.