The PlayStation 3 is a fantastic piece of hardware for gaming. It offered some of the best online multiplayer experiences of its time and continued to be the platform of choice for some of the best RPG titles out there. The PlayStation 3 has been around since 2006, and in those sixteen years, there have been dozens upon dozens of RPGs released for the console.
Whether you’re looking to scratch an old RPG itch or add some new games to your collection, Sony’s PlayStation 3 is home to some of the best RPGs ever made. It’s also made a name for itself in the realm of role-playing games (RPGs), so it seems like an obvious contender to have some of the best RPGs in its library.
With that said, let’s look at which PlayStation 3 RPGs are the absolute best of all time by considering factors like the story, gameplay, graphics, sound design, replayability, and overall influence on the RPG genre as a whole.
What is a Role-Playing Game?
A role-playing game (RPG) is a video game genre that allows players to take on the roles of characters in an imaginary world. The player controls the actions of a protagonist, who can be an individual, a group or team, or even an entire organization.
In these games, players take on the role of somebody within the world and use their character’s skills to overcome obstacles and advance their narrative. The goal is to achieve victory by doing things like defeating monsters, solving problems, or whatever else you need to do to advance the plot.
Was the PlayStation 3 Known for Role-Playing Games?
The PlayStation 3 was known for its role-playing games. Many of the greatest series to come out of the PlayStation 3 were RPGs. The best-known example of this is Final Fantasy VII, which is widely considered one of the best games in the history of gaming. Other examples include Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts, and The Legend of Dragoon.
The PlayStation 3 is considered one of the best consoles ever made due to its high-quality graphics and gameplay options, including voice chat capabilities for multiplayer gaming sessions.
So, here are the absolute best RPGs for Sony’s console.
- Uncover the secrets of Amalur in hundreds of hours of immersive gameplay, from the vibrant city of Rathir to the vast region of Dalentarth to the grim dungeons of the Brigand Hall Caverns
- Rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war and control the keys to immortality as the first warrior ever to be resurrected from the grips of death. Turn your lack of a destiny to your advantage and harness fate as a weapon
- Explore deep levels of lore in a universe steeped in 10,000 years of fiction created by New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore
- Customize your play in a dynamic combat system that delivers some of the most intense and responsive action ever seen in an RPG
- Seamlessly integrate magical and melee attacks as you take on scores of enemies in grand fight sequences and finish them off with brutal Fateshift kills
Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning is a fantasy role-playing game developed by 38 Studios and published by Big Huge Games.
It was released on February 7, 2012, for the PlayStation 3 console. There are many great PS3 RPGs to play, but Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning is one of the best for several reasons. For starters, the single-player campaign is fantastic. The world is massive and diverse, with various environments ranging from deserts to forests.
The player begins as a “Fateless” but can later choose one of three classes accessible in the game: Might, Finesse, and Sorcery, which equate to the fighter, rogue, and mage classes, respectively. Additional levels are unlocked as the player fights and get experience.
With each level, the player earns three ability points, which can be spent in the skill-tree system to unlock or augment their talents or put into one of the other branches. The player can also unlock several “destinies,” which offer positive bonuses to the character, by completing Faction objectives and investing ability points in particular numbers in minimal combinations in the various skill trees.
If you’re looking for a game with a great story and doesn’t overdo the same areas throughout, this is definitely it. Plus, it looks amazing. The graphics in Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning is among the best RPGs on PS3 and one of the most impressive-looking games ever made on any platform.
You can find it on Amazon here.
- Beyond the Wasteland: The world of New Vegas is more expansive than ever. Each new distinct area presents a fresh set of branching-quests, remarkable personalities and more chances to play the Savior or the Pariah to the natives of New Vegas.
- Dead Money: Lured into a trap masquerading as the Sierra Madre Casino, you are thrown into a high stakes game where you'll have to work with three other lost souls if you want to survive.
- Honest Hearts: An expedition into Utah's Zion National Park goes horribly wrong and you become embroiled in a war between tribes and put into a conflict between a New Canaanite missionary and the mysterious Burning Man.
- Old World Blues: Transported to the Big MT research crater, you are enlisted by the Think Tank to save them from their own science experiments that have gone horribly out of control.
- Lonesome Road: Ulysses, the original Courier Six, contacts you and promises to answer why he refused to deliver the Platinum Chip at the start of Fallout: New Vegas, but only if you make one last journey into the treacherous canyons of the Divide.
You’ll be happy to know that Fallout: New Vegas is not only one of the best PS3 RPG games, but it’s also one of the best Fallout games.
The game takes place in the Mojave Desert, where you can explore its vast wasteland full of dangers, including super mutants, death claws, and other creatures you can encounter. You can also find new weapons like Single Shotguns, Grenade Launcher Dynamite, and Trail Carbine.
The story is compelling, the combat is enjoyable, and there are plenty of quests to keep you busy for many hours. There are also a number of factions to join with distinct ideologies. If you’re a fan of Bethesda’s other major franchises like Elder Scrolls or Dishonored, this game will scratch that itch in your gaming life.
The story is well-written and easy to follow, and there are plenty of different ways to approach it if you choose. It’s also a great game for those who want to role-play their character as much as possible, allowing them to level up their stats or skills as they see fit.
Check it out for yourself on Amazon here.
- Scalable combat options that let you decide the level of control you have over your party, including NPCs. Issue orders, set your own tactical AI, or take control of any party member to lead the charge.
- 6 possible playable preludes known as ‘Origin Stories’ which along with your play, define how your hero character will see the world, how it sees you and sets the tone for the entire story.
- Travel across the vast and varied lands of Ferelden; from the conspiratorial halls of the last great dwarven city, Orzammar, to the untamed snarls of the Korcari Wilds.
- Dragon Age: Origins will give you deep character customization options including: class, race, appearance, abilities, and equipment.
- At the heart of the storm sweeping across Ferelden. Decide the fate of nations, people and, ultimately, yourself. Just remember: for every choice, there is a consequence.
It’s packed with depth and offers players a wide variety of options for character development, making it one of the most replayable games on the platform. The game follows your character as they become involved in a civil war that divides their homeland — and, eventually, leads to an invasion by a sinister horde called Darkspawn.
Using a vast array of character classes, spells, and weapons, you forge your own unique legend during the journey from lowly squire to epic hero.
Players can level up their Warden character by completing objectives, defeating foes, and earning experience points. Each time the player levels up, they gain three points to spend on the six traits of their character. Strength deals greater damage, dexterity aids in evasion, willpower boosts stamina, magic boosts spell damage or magic defense, cunning improves fighting tactics, and constitution aids in enduring attacks. Leveling up also unlocks special skills, divided into four main elements for each class, and specialization options, which offer class-specific skills.
Downloadable content will give you access to thrilling additional stories and opportunities to extend your Dragon Age experience beyond the original game. Use the toolkit offered to create your own experiences to share with your friends.
Get it for yourself on Amazon here.
#4. Demon's Souls
- Combining the best features of an action game and RPG, you'll slice, smash, shoot, and cast magic.
- Network features go far beyond any previous RPG, allowing players to leave hints for each other, and replay death scenes.
- Not merely an add-on feature, multiplayer options are vast and uniquely focused on changing and intensifying the single player experience.
- The open-ended structure of the game means that there is no single path, but rather a wealth of options.
- Build exactly the character you want by creating a detailed avatar, nurturing the right stats, and customizing your skills.
Dark Souls is considered by many to be one of the best games ever made.
The game may seem impenetrable for some at first, with little in the way of tutorials or hand-holding, but it doesn’t take long for players to get acquainted with their characters and start finding success. Even after beating the game once, there are plenty of secrets left to uncover if you want to spend your time on more than just the main quest line.
The game takes place in an open world where players can freely explore villages, castles, and other locations in search of new weapons, armor, and items to help them along their journey. Players also have access to several classes, such as warrior monks and thieves, who can be equipped with different types of weapons, such as swords or daggers, depending on their class.
When you die, you lose all your possessions and have to start again from scratch. However, if you manage to defeat bosses, they will drop items that can help you along the way.
The game also has some amazing story elements that help players feel connected to this world through its characters and plot twists, making it more than just another action RPG title.
Check it out on Amazon here.
#3. Dark Souls
- Extremely Deep, Dark & Difficult - Unforgiving in its punishment, yet rewarding for the determined
- Fully Seamless World - Explore a completely integrated world of dark fantasy where dungeons are seamlessly intertwined, with great height.
- Mastery Earns Progression - Player success depends on their eventual mastery of how and when to use the magic spells
- Players may cross paths with one another, interacting with each other throughout the game even as each player plays their own game.
- Flexible Character Development & Role Play - As the player progresses
There are many reasons why Dark Souls is one of the best PlayStation 3 RPGs of all time.
The game’s difficulty and replayability are key to its popularity, but it also has a strong story that will keep you hooked on your screen for hours on end. The game’s world feels like it’s been created by someone who has lived in it for decades — the details are so rich and beautiful that you feel like you’re exploring a part of history when you play.
The games are set in a dark, medieval fantasy world where the player’s character battles knights, dragons, phantoms, demons, and other hideous or supernatural forces. The accumulation, loss, and recovery of souls are crucial to Dark Souls‘s narrative and gameplay. These games are linked by their environment, an overall cycle story centered on fire and shared themes and components, such as interactions with phantoms and confrontations with demons. At the end of each game, characters can either reignite the “initial flame” or let it fade, repeating a decision made by others before them.
The combat in Dark Souls is unique and exciting, with each encounter feeling like it could be your last. You’ll need to learn how to dodge attacks, block attacks, and use spells effectively if you want to survive long enough to make it through the game’s many tough battles.
Dark Souls also features an interesting fantasy setting with a rich history behind it — the world feels real even as it’s being destroyed around you by monsters and creatures from another dimension.
Get it for yourself on Amazon here.
- All-Star Production - LEVEL-5's mastery of the RPG genre is combined with Studio Ghibli's world-class animation and music composed by the renowned Joe Hisaishi
- Another World - Stunning visuals, made possible by utilizing the full capabilities of the hardware, create the world of Ni no Kuni and immerses players into Oliver's journey within this vibrant, animated world
- Captivating Story - A charming and tragic tale unfolds including animation storyboarded and created by Studio Ghibli with English and Japanese voice overs
- Role Playing Mastery - New and traditional RPG elements expertly crafted and designed featuring dozens of locations to explore, hundreds of creatures to battle and a wealth of quests and secrets to uncover throughout the sweeping journey
- Dynamic Fights - Freely switch control of characters and familiars in an exciting battle system that combines real-time and turn-based tactical elements
Released in 2011, Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch is an RPG that combines the visual style of Studio Ghibli with the gameplay mechanics and storytelling style of classic Final Fantasy games.
You play as Oliver, a boy who embarks on a journey to save his mother after an evil wizard takes her soul. Along the way, you meet many other characters seeking help from this magical world.
With some turn-based combat sprinkled into the mix, Ni No Kuni is one of those perfect games for anime fans and role-playing games. There are multiple endings depending on your actions throughout the game, so playing through it more than once is definitely worth your time. Plus, there are plenty of secrets to find along the way. The gameplay is fast-paced and engaging for players who want something simple yet engaging.
You’ll be able to level up your character’s powers by playing through battles against other NPCs, which gives you access to stronger attacks as you progress through the game. You’ll also be able to customize each character’s abilities by equipping them with different types of gear called “Grimoires,” which allows them to specialize in certain roles like physical attacks or support abilities like healing allies during battle.
The game’s combat system is also well-designed — there’s enough variety in enemy types that it never feels like you’re fighting the same thing repeatedly. You’ll be facing off against giant monsters or challenging boss battles throughout your journey through this beautiful world.
You can find it on Amazon here.
- Skyrim reimagines the open world fantasy epic, pushing the game play and technology of a virtual world to new heights
- Play any type of character you can imagine, and do whatever you want; the legendary freedom of choice, storytelling
- Skyrim's new game engine brings to life a complete virtual world with rolling clouds, rugged mountains, bustling cities, lush fields
- Choose from hundreds of weapons, spells, and abilities; the new character system allows you to play any way you want
In 2011, Skyrim was released to critical acclaim and commercial success. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls series and became the most successful RPG video game ever made, and for a good reason too.
Skyrim is an epic fantasy RPG with an immersive open world that can be freely explored by players during the course of their journey. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the story occurs when dragons reappear on the continent after a centuries-long absence. As civil war brews between humans and elves over control of this new land, young Dragonborn hero Dovahkiin must fight against dragons who’ve returned to destroy his homeland (and all those pesky humans).
Whether you’re an experienced RPG veteran or brand new to the genre, there’s no denying that Skyrim will keep you glued to your TV screen from start to finish.
The combat system is also very memorable — it’s fast-paced yet strategic because players can use so many different types of weapons and armor. There are also multiple skill trees available that allow them to specialize in certain areas like magic or hacking, giving them more flexibility when choosing which abilities they want to use during battle.
The graphics are also amazing and allow players to immerse themselves fully into this fantasy world where they can meet thousands of NPCs in their journey through Tamriel.
Get it for yourself on Amazon here.
This list is by no means exhaustive, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the sheer variety available on the PS3. From traditional console RPG games to quirky downloadable indie titles, there’s something for everyone. If you are a long-time PlayStation 3 gamer, then chances are you have played at least one of these games.
They’re not just great PlayStation 3 RPGs. They also happen to be some of the best RPGs of all time. If you are new to the platform, check these games out. They’ll give you a good sense of what makes this console special for RPGs.
- The 7 Absolute Best PlayStation 3 First-Person Shooters of All Time
- The Absolute Best PlayStation 5 First-Person Shooter (FPS) Games of All Time
- The 7 Absolute Best PlayStation 4 First-Person Shooters of All Time
Last update on 2022-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API