For many people, the words “solar power” conjure up ideas of big industrial facilities and black tile-like objects on rooftops. The reality is that solar power is far more than that, up to and including battery packs that have been around for a while and make a great addition to any home or travel kit.
These solar-powered packs are small enough to fit in a pocket or backpack but powerful enough that they can charge your smartphone or tablet multiple times without recharging. The best part is that when you do need to recharge, you have a near limitless source of energy ensuring you never run out of battery.
Let’s take a look at some of the best solar-powered battery pack options you can find on the market today.
- Best Overall: Hiluckey Solar Charger
- Best Output: LICORNE Solar Power Bank
- Best Dual-Charging: 4Patriots Power Cell
- Best Lightweight: SARAUPUP Portable Solar Charger
- Best Flashlight: BLAVOR Solar Power Bank
- Best Multipurpose: QiSa Solar Charger
Best Overall: Hiluckey Solar Charger
- 25000mAh High Capacity: The solar power bank charges up 6-8 times for a cell phone and 2.5 times for a tablet, great for a week-long trip.
- Large Solar Panels: This solar charger comes with 4 high-performance solar panels that can reach 6W in direct sunlight to keep your phone up and running even in places without electricity.
- Fast Charging: With the upgraded 15W output, the portable solar charger can fast charge an iPhone to 50% in 30 minutes. One USB C port and dual USB A ports achieve the simultaneous charging for three...
- Perfect for Outdoors: Built in bright flashlight; Compact and easy to hang it on your backpack to get sunlight, a must-have for various emergencies.
- 2.5X Recharging: The USB C port supports both input and output. A full recharge will take about only 8 hours with a PD fast charger (not included). Internal security system protects your device from...
When you want a solar power battery pack that can last and last, the Hiluckey Portable Powerbank is the best choice.
The best part of the Hiluckey is its 25,000mAh power bank which is good for 8 to 10 charges for your phone and up to 3 to 4 charges for a tablet. Once charged, the Hiluckey can hold its battery from its solar panels for up to 9 days on average before power starts to drain.
A total of four solar panels each reach 6 watts when placed in direct sunlight before bringing power to the dual USB-A charging ports. Each port offers 2.1A of high-speed charging and auto detects your device to detect optimal charging output.
Battery life aside, the Hiluckey is perfect for the outdoors with solid construction that is dust, shock, and splash-resistant. And, when you need it, a built-in LED flashlight has three modes for finding your way in the dark.
Check out the Hiluckey Solar Charger on Amazon here.
Best Output: LICORNE Solar Power Bank
- 【30000mAh Large Capacity】Built-in industry-leading high-density lithium polymer cells without changing the volume and weight. The super battery life can support thousands of charge cycles.
- 【66W Fast-Charging Power bank】 The powerful configuration of QC3.0 fast charging 5V3.1A can quickly fill your device. Supports 66W fast charging, save your charging time.
- 【Dual USB Outport and Powerful LED Light】Makes it easy to charge two smartphones simultaneously or a tablet at full speed. 2 led lights can be used as flashlight. Five pilot indicators show the...
- 【IPX67 Waterproof & Safe Material】 The outer case is made from flame-retardant ABS+PC material. The IPX67 waterproof silicone better protects the internal structure of the charger. comfortable...
- 【Multi-Purpose Outdoor Power Bank】LICORNE portable solar charger is made IPX67 waterproof. The built-in dual super bright flashlight and the included compass carabiner, are the ideal companion for...
When it comes to battery life, the LICORNE Solar Power Bank offers a whopping 36,800mAh of support for your devices. That’s plenty of room for multiple smartphone cycles before needing to be recharged.
What really helps the LICORNE stand out is, its not one or two, but six outputs plus wireless charging. That’s enough support for all of the devices you could bring on your own or to charge all of the smartphones and tablets your entire group brought with them on a trip.
On top of the standout battery life, there is a 1.8W flashlight with SOS flash mode and a strobe light for help in emergencies. That makes for three lighting modes in total and, because of the solar power, you won’t ever be without battery life when you need it most.
Add in a sturdy design with IP66 waterproofing and you are ready to handle the elements with confidence.
You can find the LICORNE Solar Power Bank on Amazon here.
Best Dual-Charging: 4Patriots Power Cell
- 5-inch solar panel with rechargeable 8,000mAh battery
- Rubberized protection to withstand rain, splashes, and drops
- Perfect for outdoor activities (camping, hiking, or emergencies)
- Multiple ports for charging your portable devices.
- Charges iPhones, Android devices,, radios, cameras, and other small gadgets
The 4Patriots Power Cell is that wonderful combination of a product that has a standout main purpose of powering your devices with solar power.
It adds the bonus of being able to quickly power up its 8,000mAh battery pack with an included micro-USB cord. This makes it ideal for charging up before you start out on a trip and then relying on the sun to power once you run out of the initial battery life.
Two USB ports let you charge up to two devices at once. Each port includes a 5V 2.1A output so you can recharge up to 500 cycles before you need to replace the battery. An IP67 waterproof rating gives it the ability to survive in the elements by handling rain and splashes with ease. 4Patriots even says you can dump it on rocks and still keep charging.
One additional benefit is that the charger is TSA-approved so you can take the included LED flashlight with you no matter where your destination may be.
Pick up the 4Patriots Power Cell today on Amazon here.
Best Lightweight: SARAUPUP Portable Solar Charger
- 【Compact & Portable Design】- One of the smallest and lightest solar charger on the market(only weighs7.4oz). Extra hanger included, easy to hang on your backpack, perfect for camping, hiking and various outdoor activities.
- 【Dual-USB Output】- Charge 2 devices simultaneously with max output up to 5V/2.1A, deliver fast charge. Only takes 4-5 hours to fully charge the battery(via 5V/2A charger), save your charging time than most other similar power banks.
- 【IP67 Waterproof】- Every USB port or micro USB port is covered by rubber cap, better protect battery from water; Reinforced corner makes it more tough and sturdy; Rugged surface to avoid slipping.
- 【Built in mini LED Flashlight】- with three modes available(Normal /SOS /Strobe), convenient to control with one button. SOS mode is specially designed for emergency use.
- 【Safety for Use】- Made of eco-friendly silicone rubber and ABS + PC material. CE, FCC, RoHS certified, reliable and durable. Kindly noted that it's comparatively slow to recharge the battery via solar power due to limited solar panel, please do not take solar as main power source. Please kindly contact us anytime when you meet trouble with our product !
When it comes to hiking, camping, and being out in the wild, weight matters. The lighter your bag, the more enjoyable of a time you have walking miles and miles on trails to your destination. That’s why the SARAUPUP 10,000mAh compact solar powered battery pack is a fantastic choice.
At only 7.4 ounces, it’s the lightest of the bunch without sacrificing any capability or charging time.
The solar-powered battery can charge in about 4 to 5 hours while being able to charge an iPhone or Android smartphone completely. Two USB ports enable charging at both 1A and 2.1A for varied charging based on your devices.
The IP67 rating adds a waterproof design that is wrapped in high-quality silicone rubber so it’s durable enough to battle the elements. The SARAUPUP is compact enough to fit in a pocket or small backpack so it’s great to have on the go.
Get your SARAUPUP Solar Charger on Amazon here.
Best Flashlight: BLAVOR Solar Power Bank
- Qi wireless 5V 2.4A output
- 10,000mAh battery
- USB Type-C input and output
- Supports charging 3 devices simultaneously
- IPX5 waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof
- Dual extra bright flashlight
- Compass carabiner
There’s flashlights on solar-powered battery packs and then there is the BLAVOR Solar Power Bank.
With its dual flashlight set up, it’s bright—very bright. Perfect for camping, traveling, hiking, beaches, and cycling, you won’t don’t have to worry about the dark anymore. With up to 164 feet of visibility, the light shines bright enough to keep you out of harm’s way for up to 100 hours, thanks to the 10,000mAh solar-charged battery pack.
With the built-in battery bank, there’s enough power to charge an iPhone 12 and above up to three times as well as flagship Android devices up to 2.5 times. Qi-certified wireless charging is also on board so you can skip the USB-C cable.
Made out of premium ABS material, the BLAVOR is incredibly durable and able to completely withstand wherever and whatever your adventure discovers.
You can find it on Amazon here.
Best Multipurpose: QiSa Solar Charger
- Solar power bank 38800mAh large battery, let you get rid of the anxiety of battery power anytime and anywhere.
- Solar power bank has a wireless charging function, two 5V3.1A USB fast output ports, can charge up to 3 devices at the same time. Note: Only Qi-enabled devices are compatible with wireless charging.
- Power bank is waterproof, drop-proof and dust-proof, and can still work normally in extreme environments.
- The power bank has four solar panels with a built-in power of about 2W. solar panel after the ideal sunlight in parallel arrangement of the circuit will produce a maximum of 5.5V/1.5A input. It can...
- Solar power bank has a built-in smart chip that can automatically identify and be compatible with different devices, convert fluctuating voltage into stable voltage, stabilize the device, and ensure...
The QiSa Solar Charger is a great solar-powered battery pack that offers a whopping 38,800mAh battery pack charged by sunlight.
With two USB outputs, it can charge up to three devices at a time. One major bonus of the QiSa is that it includes Qi-enabled wireless charging (up to 10W) so, if you have a compatible device and forget your cable at home, no worries! It works in extreme heat and cold temperatures which is yet another solid bonus.
What also helps differentiate the QiSa is its multiple-purpose light. Whereas many solar-powered battery packs offer a flashlight, the QiSa adds multiple functions. Along with a strong and low light, there are also two functions for both SOS and strobe light to help in the event of an emergency.
With massive battery life available, you can run one of these lights almost indefinitely if you keep recharging via sunlight.
Grab the QiSa solar battery pack on Amazon here.
How to Pick the Best Solar-Powered Battery Pack: A Step-by-Step Guide
When choosing between the best solar-powered battery pack, there are a few things to consider:
- Charging speed
- Number of connections
- Charging capacity
- Weight (size)
One of the biggest reasons you buy a solar-powered battery pack is to stay powered up when you’re away from an outlet. However, it won’t do much good if it takes three days to charge, so charging speed is important. You want to try and locate a solar-powered battery life that works with at least 10W of power when charging your device. That’s pretty standard so you will find the same charging speeds as you find with non-solar-powered battery packs.
You’re in the wild where the elements can be less than predictable, so you don’t want to have to worry about babying a solar-powered battery pack to avoid damage. Find one that offers waterproofing, dust resistance, and shockproofing, as well as the right material like silicone to help keep it safe in the event of a fall.
Number of Connections
As you step away from the comfort of power outlets, you might need to bring a number of devices with you to stay charged. That’s why the number of ports is important so you don’t have to be concerned about charging only one device at a time. Most solar-powered battery packs will have at least two USB outputs and you wouldn’t want any less than that.
The last thing you want to worry about is running out of battery life. Solar power is designed so you don’t ever run out of battery, but having a large battery pack capacity adds a sense of comfort that you are staying charged at all times. Finding a battery pack with at least 20,000mAh of capacity is ideal to make sure you have enough juice for multiple smartphones or emergency devices.
Weight and Size
Smaller and lighter are better. That’s the name of the game for solar-powered battery packs. If you’re out hiking, you want less weight in your bag, not more. Selecting a lightweight battery pack is ideal so you can either put it in a pocket or connect it to the outside of your bag without having to worry about adding unnecessary bulk.
Using Solar Powered Battery Packs: What It’s Like
Using a solar-powered battery pack, regardless of which one you try on this list, isn’t much different than using a non-solar-powered battery pack. The biggest difference might be the speed at which it charges, as solar-powered options tend to limit to 12W whereas non-solar-powered can hit 15W. It’s a minor difference to be sure, but something to consider all the same.
Consumers, hikers, campers, and the like who want to try these products will really enjoy the flexibility of something that can charge under the power of the sun.
It’s a limitless power source and it’s good peace of mind to know that you won’t be without a charge for long. Someone who wants really long battery life will enjoy the size of the QiSa Solar Charger which more than doubles most of its competition.
People who want to have a solar-powered battery pack should rest assured that all of the options on this list are exemplary at what they do. Someone who wants the biggest amount of power should look to the Jackery, especially if you’re using a camper or an RV.
Smartphone owners will love the Anker option as it’s a trustworthy name they are already familiar with but in a form factor they likely haven’t considered previously.
At the end of the day, you have a lot of great options as a consumer looking at solar-powered battery packs. If you only have to pick one, the Hiluckey is a tried and true option that combines solid battery life, fast recharging, and a great form factor that can properly handle the elements.
Check out some of this awesome content:
- The 7 Best Password Managers Today (Free and Paid)
- 4 Ways to Compress a Video: What You Need
- How to Convert PNG to JPEG in Easy Steps
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Igors Rusakovs/Shutterstock.com.