- When choosing the best humidifier, there are several factors to consider, including coverage, price, tank size, maintenance required, and whether the mist is cool or hot.
- The Levoit LV600HH Hybrid Humidifier was voted the best overall humidifier.
- If tank size is a concern, then the Aircare 4DTS900 may be for you.
Humidifiers have been used for decades to treat a variety of mild ailments including dry skin and sinus issues. The best humidifier can do both of those things, and they are no longer the noisy cumbersome devices of the past.
While you can find hundreds of humidifiers online or through local retailers, choosing the right model for your needs can be easier said than done. You’ll have to consider the running time, tank size, and ease of use, along with other factors.
After careful consideration, we’ve rounded up a list featuring 5 of the best humidifiers you can buy today including options for children, budget-friendly consumers, and connected models.
- Best Overall: Levoit LV600HH Hybrid Humidifier
- Best for the Whole House: AIRCARE 4DTS900
- Best for Children: Crane Adorables Humidifier
- Best Smart Humidifier: Levoit Classic 300S
- Best Portable: HoMedics Personal Ultrasonic Humidifier
|Levoit LV600HH||AIRCARE 4DTS900||Crane Adorables||Levoit Classic 300S||HoMedics HUM-CM10|
|Capacity||1.58 gallons||5.7 gallons||1 gallon||1.58 gallons||.05 gallons|
|Coverage||753 sq. ft.||3,600 sq. ft.||500 sq. ft.||505 sq. ft.||Not given|
|Run Time (lowest speed)||50 hours||48 hours||24 hours||60 hours||4 hours|
|Warm or Cool Mist||Both||Cool||Cool||Cool||Cool|
|Controls||Digital, Remote||Digital||Analog||Digital, Wireless||Analog|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||1 year||2 years||1 year|
Best Humidifier Overall: Levoit LV600HH Hybrid Humidifier
- 𝙃𝙄𝙂𝙃-𝙀𝙁𝙁𝙄𝘾𝙄𝙀𝙉𝘾𝙔, 𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝙒𝙃𝙊𝙇𝙀 𝙃𝙊𝙈𝙀: It provides humidification speeds 4× faster than others, which can quickly cover 753ft²...
- 𝙋𝘼𝙏𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙒𝘼𝙍𝙈 𝙈𝙄𝙎𝙏 𝙏𝙀𝘾𝙃 𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝘽𝙀𝘿𝙍𝙊𝙊𝙈: It raises RH 10% in 20mins, providing greater relief from symptoms caused by dir...
- 𝙋𝙀𝙍𝙁𝙀𝘾𝙏 𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝙇𝘼𝙍𝙂𝙀 𝙍𝙊𝙊𝙈𝙎: With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, it can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft² / 70 m². The large 6-liter...
- 𝘼𝙐𝙏𝙊𝙈𝘼𝙏𝙄𝘾 𝙏𝙐𝙍𝙉 𝙊𝙉 & 𝙊𝙁𝙁: With a built-in sensor, Auto Mode adjusts mist levels according to your settings to maintain a healthy humidity level
- 𝙃𝙐𝙈𝙄𝘿𝙄𝙏𝙔 𝙐𝙋 𝙏𝙊 𝙔𝙊𝙐: You can customize the ideal humidity percentage for your house plant, baby, or beloved guitar
Levoit makes a range of home goods focused on air quality, and they have one of the better lineups of humidifiers available for consumers today. Our top choice is the Levoit LV600HH, a hybrid humidifier that can do it all.
This modern humidifier will look great in any room and is easy to use. A digital panel on the front lets you set the humidity level, mode, and timer, or you can control this humidifier through the included remote control. This model does not have a top-fill tank, although the design ensures it’s easy to fill without spillage.
Large rooms are no problem for the Levoit LV600HH, which has a coverage range of over 700 square feet. It can produce warm or cool mist and has an aromatherapy tray. Due to its hybrid nature, you can use this system year-round. Automatic mode takes the guesswork out of things and it can run for up to 50 hours before needing to be refilled.
This hybrid humidifier from Levoit is the best choice when you want a machine that can produce warm or cool mist on demand. It has all the key features you could want but will take up a bit more space than the average model. If you like the dual-mist capabilities but want a top-fill tank, the LV600S has that, and it even works with Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Warm or cool mist
- Remote control
- Variable speed
- Low noise level
- Doesn’t have a top-fill tank
Check it out on Amazon here.
Best Humidifier for the Whole House: AIRCARE 4DTS900
- Console-style humidifier for the home
- Extensive coverage (up to 3,600 sq. ft.)
- 5.7-gallon capacity; 11.5-gallons output per day
- Built-In Hygrometer and adjustable humidistat
- Digital touchscreen control panel
- Auto-shuts off at the desired indoor humidity level
There are dozens of humidifiers listed that claim they can handle larger areas or multiple rooms. When you want to humidify areas more than 1,000 square feet or an entire home, the AIRCARE 4DTS900 humidifier is a stylish choice.
With a modern design and touchscreen controls, this humidifier will look great in any room despite its size. It’s large with two bottles that hold 5.7 gallons of water and is capable of humidifying an area up to 3,600 square feet in size. A hose lets you pull water directly from the tap for refills and caster wheels on the bottom make it a breeze to move.
The AIRCARE designer series humidifier has an output of 11.4 gallons per day with a running time of around 48 hours. That depends on the settings, as there are 9 speeds on the 4DTS900. Automatic mode and an adjustable humidistat keep levels where they should be, but you will need to purchase a new wick and dust filter seasonally.
Consumers looking for a whole-house system can’t go wrong with the AIRCARE Executive. It’s efficient, easy to use, and doesn’t look like the evaporative humidifiers of the past. Just consider placement with this model and the price of replacement wicks over time.
- Stylish design
- 9 speeds
- Digital controls
- Fill hose & caster wheels
- Adjustable humidistat
- Louder than ultrasonic models
You can get it on Amazon here.
Best Humidifier for Children: Crane Adorables Humidifier
- LARGE ROOM HUMIDIFIER: Crane Adorables Ultrasonic Humidifier features an easy-to-clean, detachable bottom fill tank that holds one gallon of water− perfect for humidifying indoor spaces up to 500...
- ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS: Optional filter slot and variable controls make it easy to set the best humidity level for your room; Simply adjust as needed for multi-purpose use as a plant humidifier, baby...
- HSA FSA ELIGIBLE ITEM: Your shopping list of FSA HSA approved products only gets healthier with our soothing humidifiers and steam inhalers that help fight cold and flu symptoms in your home or office
- NURSERY ESSENTIAL: Kid-friendly automatic shut-off feature helps your little one sleep peacefully during nap time and nighttime while playful character design helps this cute humidifier fit right in...
- ADORABLES COLLECTION: Explore our full collection of regular and mini humidifiers for babies and kids available in a variety of fun character designs to find the right large or small humidifier for...
The design of humidifiers has changed considerably since the first models hit the market, but it’s still challenging to find a suitable system for a child’s room. Consumers interested in a kid-friendly approach will appreciate the Crane Adorables line of humidifiers.
Is your child a fan of hippos or monkeys? Both are options along with an elephant, fox, frog, owl, penguin, and more. There’s also a humidifier that looks like a train, and all have the same set of features. That includes a 360-degree misting lid and detachable 1-gallon water tank. The tanks are easy to fill, but you’ll need to do so from the bottom.
Crane promises 24 hours of operating time from the Adorables humidifier line which has an automatic safety shut-off feature. The unit stops producing cool mist when the water runs out and has a variable speed dial. The coverage range for these ultrasonic humidifiers is 500 square feet and won’t wake your children up with a very quiet volume of only 37 decibels.
From the cute, colorful design to the price tag, there’s a lot to love with the Adorables humidifiers from Crane. There’s a style for almost every child, and an optional mineral filter you can use if you have hard water in your home. The only drawback is the bottom-fill design on the tank of these humidifiers.
- Kid-friendly design
- 360-degree mist lid
- Variable speed
- Automatic shut-off
- Simple to use
- Bottom-fill tank
Explore the whole line of Crane Adorables Humidifiers here.
Best Smart Humidifier: Levoit Classic 300S
- 𝙀𝙛𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙨 𝘾𝙤𝙢𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝘼𝙪𝙩𝙤 𝙈𝙤𝙙𝙚: Advanced sensors adjust humidity levels to maintain a consistent and healthy...
- 𝙋𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙀𝙛𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙋𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚: Enjoy 4x faster humidification, swiftly relieving dry discomfort. It...
- 𝙈𝙪𝙡𝙩𝙞-𝙍𝙤𝙡𝙚 𝙎𝙪𝙞𝙩𝙖𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝘼𝙡𝙡-𝙙𝙖𝙮 𝘾𝙖𝙧𝙚: Begin your day with morning aromatherapy. Thrive during family time with...
- 𝙎𝙪𝙥𝙚𝙧-𝙎𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝘼𝙥𝙥 𝘾𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙤𝙡: Monitor and adjust your home humidifier from anywhere, anytime. Break free from spatial barriers, customize...
- 𝙃𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙡𝙚-𝙁𝙧𝙚𝙚 𝙍𝙚𝙛𝙞𝙡𝙡, 𝙄𝙢𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙘𝙖𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝘾𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙣𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨: 1-Step top refill ensures a leak-free pour....
If you liked what Levoit’s hybrid humidifier could do, but don’t need warm mist, the Classic 300S is an excellent alternative. It’s also one of a handful of smart humidifiers, which means you can use a smartphone to control it along with Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant.
The Levoit Classic 300S has a 1.58-gallon water tank, like the LV600HH, but a longer run time. It doesn’t have the same output rating and is best suited for rooms up to 500 square feet. This humidifier has a similar set of features, however, including sleep mode, auto mode, and an essential oils box for aroma therapy sessions.
Another significant change is the tank system. The Classic 300S has a top-fill tank along that makes refills ultra-simple. You can control the humidifier through a digital control panel, with an app, or by using your voice. This allows you to command the humidifier remotely, and you can set scheduled operating times within the app as well.
We’ve seen connected products from every niche, but there are only a few smart humidifiers on the market today.
- Excellent runtime
- Voice and app-controlled
- Aromatherapy feature
- Sleep Mode
- Top-fill tank
- Can be challenging to clean
Get yours on Amazon here.
Best Portable Humidifier: HoMedics Personal Ultrasonic Humidifier
- PERSONAL HUMIDIFIER – The Homedics Ultrasonic Personal Humidifier is small, lightweight, and provides a cooling mist no matter where you use it; ideal as a bedroom humidifier, car humidifier, and...
- QUIET & CONVENIENT -The Homedics small humidifier uses ultrasonic technology to ensure your mister is operating effectively and silently; it creates a visible, cooling mist with its soundless motor
- ALL-IN-ONE DEVICE – The portable humidifiers for bedrooms and on-the-go are convenient devices allowing you to enjoy up to 4 hours of runtime; auto shut off feature will power your humidifier down...
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION - This personal room humidifier is easy to install and use; unscrew the cover, fill the tank with clean, cool tap water, replace the cover, plug in and press the power button
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX – (1) Homedics Personal Ultrasonic Mister, (1) AC Adaptor and USB Adaptor, (3) free bonus wick filters, (1) user’s manual, (1) one year limited warranty
HoMedic’s line of wellness products includes everything from massagers to sleep aids and humidifiers. One of our favorites from the company is the diminutive HUM-CM10, a humidifier designed for personal use in small spaces.
The small 0.5-gallon tank on this humidifier can run for four hours on less than a cup of water. It produces an ultrafine mist that’s ideal for small areas like a cubicle, and the design won’t take up much space on a desktop. The HoMedics personal ultrasonic humidifier only weighs .65 pounds, so it’s also very easy to transport.
A USB adapter adds to the portability of this humidifier and gives you freedom from a traditional wall outlet. Consumers found the humidifier quiet, although it only has one speed. The HoMedics HUM-CM10 has an auto-off feature that will shut the system down when the tank runs dry and sports a 1-year warranty from the company.
While this humidifier isn’t fancy, it performs as advertised and has been well-received by consumers across the board. It’s affordable, portable, and easy to operate if you’ve never used a humidifier. Just remember to keep its limited range in mind along with the capacity.
- Portable design
- USB and AC adapters
- Only weighs .65 lbs.
- Ease of use
- Only one speed
Find yours on Amazon here.
How to Pick the Best Dehumidifier for Your Home
Humidifiers have changed considerably over the past decade. Styles have become more modern, and features are more high-tech than ever before. They also serve different purposes, which makes choosing the right model difficult for many consumers.
Features like sleep mode, automatic shut-off, and remote controls are common, but there are simple one-touch humidifiers, as well. Whether you’re purchasing your first humidifier or simply need a refresher, these areas are the most important when choosing the best humidifier for your home.
- Warm or cool mist
- Tank size
Ultrasonic vs. Evaporative Humidifiers
The first question you should ask yourself when shopping for a new humidifier is what type is best for your needs. There are a few variations and hybrid systems, but most humidifiers fall into one of two categories–-evaporative or ultrasonic.
Evaporative humidifiers have been around for decades, and they are the simplest type of humidifier to own or operate. These devices use a ‘wick’ and fan to disperse cool mist throughout a room. The wick draws water from the tank, while the fan blows through it to evaporate and distribute water vapor.
Ultrasonic humidifiers are high-tech devices that disperse mist droplets through high-frequency vibrations and plates. They produce an ultra-fine mist and are generally preferred over evaporative humidifiers as they come with more features, speeds, and digital controls. They are more expensive upfront and are cheaper to maintain.
Evaporative humidifiers are relatively inexpensive and provide more coverage for larger areas. You have to replace the filters or wicks, and they are noisier than an ultrasonic model. You typically don’t need to worry about filters with an ultrasonic system but will experience white powdery residue from minerals in tap water unless you use distilled water.
How large is the room you need to humidify? If you need something for your cubicle at work or home office, the options are virtually endless. Humidifiers are sized by square footage, and most give a range instead of an exact number.
You can find the square footage of the area by multiplying the length and width of one side of a room. A room that’s 18 feet long and 10 feet wide would need a humidifier capable of covering an area of 180 square feet. You can find a range of humidifiers for smaller spaces along with machines for much larger rooms.
Once you know the coverage range for the room you want to humidify, it’s time to consider whether you want a machine that produces warm or cool mist.
Warm or Cool Mist Humidifier?
This area is a personal preference for some and a necessity for others. Cool mist humidifiers can blanket an area with “room temperature” mist and relieve dry air. It can have a cooling effect, but can also make some areas feel chilly.
Cool mist humidifiers are considered safer around children and pets. If the device tips over, you don’t have to worry about burns and they use less electricity than any warm mist humidifier. They are ideal for small areas and entire homes up to 3,600 square feet in size or more.
By comparison, a warm mist humidifier is more expensive to run over time and there are no traditional models for larger rooms. If you want a whole-house humidifier in this class, you’ll need to upgrade to something like the AprilAir 800 Whole Home Humidifier.
Warm mist humidifiers are better to use in winter months but tend to be a bit more expensive and harder to clean. With that in mind, many models can produce warm or cool mist on demand, so you don’t have to choose if you aren’t sure which style is right.
There are two things to keep in mind with the tank size of a humidifier: how easy it is to fill and the operating time.
The larger the water tank, the longer your humidifier can go between refills. That’s perfect if you intend to use the system continuously, although it could pose problems with maintenance. Smaller water tanks can’t provide the same amount of run time but come in a wider variety of styles.
The higher the humidifier speed, the faster it will go through the water in the tank. A humidifier with 12 speeds may seem like a good idea but it could run the water tank dry within an hour. On the other hand, a humidifier with only one speed may not have the type of output you need.
The biggest drawback to using an ultrasonic or evaporative humidifier is maintenance. Both require routine maintenance to function properly, and there are plenty of humidifiers that are incredibly hard to keep clean.
Keeping your ultrasonic or evaporative humidifier clean is critical. Failure to do so can result in mold and bacteria building up in the tank or on the machine itself. Considering humidifiers disperse what’s in the tank, you can understand why cleanliness is so important.
You should consider how easy a humidifier is to disassemble and clean. The tank is the simple part, but the overall design can make things complicated. Bacteria can find a foothold in nooks and crannies where moisture lingers, and some machines require frequent cleanings.
When choosing the right humidifier for you, it’s important to take into account your room’s size and layout, and your specific needs, such as price, how often you plan to use it, and room coverage.