If you like games with longer-form gameplay or just a fantastic story, the PlayStation 5 has a lot of fantastic options for you to choose from.
In this article, we have compiled a list of the best role-playing games (RPGs) available for the PlayStation 5. Let’s dive in!
What is a Role-Playing Game?
Role-playing games have been around since antiquity, but they became more popular during the 1970s with pen-and-paper role-playing games (P&P RPG) like Dungeons & Dragons, published by TSR Hobbies.
A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters and engage in an interactive simulation. In most instances, each player’s character is a member of some social group (such as a party of adventurers or a guild of merchants) who participates in the game’s story or campaign. Other common groups are nations, religions, and characters, who are often encouraged to interact with them. The interactions play out through dialogue trees, choices, and other methods where choices determine the course of the game.
The persons involved in the system are maintained in a set order of authority by the system. Personality traits of a player character are subject to change as a direct result of the player’s actions in the game’s virtual world.
Is PlayStation 5 Known for Role-Playing Games?
You have a wide range of fantasy role-playing games if you own a PlayStation 5 console. The most up-to-date home consoles manufactured by Sony come pre-loaded with an extensive collection of role-playing games. These games range from traditional computer role-playing games to updated versions of fan favorites from the past.
The 10 Best PlayStation 5 RPGs
Here are the best PlayStation 5 RPGs of all time.
- Fly Around Areas Freely - characters can freely move in 360 degrees roaming the skies; Whether flying to explore rockfaces and roofs of buildings, or leaping off cliffs to enter battles, there’s...
- Fastest and Strongest Action in the Series - Characters can subdue large numbers of enemies with high-speed movement attacks, special abilities where you can vanish for a moment right in front of your...
emStar Ocean: The Divine Force/em is a role-playing video game that Square Enix developed and Sony Computer Entertainment published for the PlayStation 5 on October 27th, 2022.
emStar Ocean: The Divine Force/em allows players to explore the skies and go in any direction they like. You have complete freedom of movement worldwide as you fly through the largest area ever created. Learning to fly and explore the city’s rockfaces and rooftops from above will give you greater leeway in exploration and combat. Similarly, learning to leap off cliffs into battle without missing a beat will give you better leeway in exploration and combat.
The game’s open world gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, but the intensity of the battles has been ramped up. Characters can easily subjugate many adversaries if they have super fast movement attacks, special powers that allow them to vanish for a short while from right in front of their opponent’s eyes, and a talent that has the potential to kill in one hit.
In this game, you will have the opportunity to experience the thrill of battle while also taking delight in soaring through the skies.
Get a copy of your own on Amazon here.
- Prepare for the award-winning RPG experience in this definitive edition of Persona 5 Royal
- This title is packed with beloved characters, confidants, story depth, and plenty of locations to explore with many opportunities to strengthen your abilities in the metaverse and in your daily life
- Explore Tokyo, unlock Personas, customize your own personal Thieves Den, experience alternate endings, and more
- Become the ultimate Phantom Thief and defy conventions, discover the power within, and fight for justice in the definitive version of Personal 5 Royal
emPersona 5 Royal/em, a role-playing video game, was created by Atlus. In Japan, it was launched for the PlayStation 4 in October 2019, while the rest of the globe had to wait until March 2020 when the franchise owner, Sega, published it. It was released in October 2022 for the Switch, PS5, Windows, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
The story follows Joker, a high school student who moves to a new school after being falsely convicted of assault and placed on probation in the city of Tokyo in the current day. During one school year, he and a few other students reawaken a dormant power that allows them to transform into the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, a group of secret vigilantes.
They embark on a journey to the Metaverse, a mysterious location birthed from humanity’s deepest desires to rob adults of their malicious intent. The squad uses Personas, which are physical manifestations of their psyches, to combat Shadows, just like they did in the previous games in the series. The game mixes elements of role-playing and dungeon crawling with social modeling settings.
You can bring it home from Amazon here.
#8: Batora: Lost Haven
One of the best role-playing games available for the PlayStation 5 is Batora: Lost Haven, which was released on October 20th, 2022.
It’s an open-world role-playing game with a distinct artistic style and an interesting storyline. If you are searching for something new to play, you should consider giving it a shot.
Avril‘s life is turned upside down after a mysterious and horrible occurrence, and as a result, she finds herself in the position of requiring to take charge and play the role of a hero. Avril has been granted incredible abilities, and because her home planet is on the verge of extinction, she is obligated to travel around the cosmos in search of long-lost information to make decisions that will significantly impact the future of her whole race.
Throughout Batora: Lost Haven, you will travel to several odd alien worlds and gain knowledge of a galaxy in which morality is messy and the line between right and wrong is razor-thin.
As you travel throughout the world, you will be required to use the unique abilities that Avril possesses to perfect a variety of fighting styles, vanquish dangerous foes, solve challenging puzzles, and accept missions from fascinating aliens. Each choice will affect the road ahead and influence how you finish your ultimate objective of rebuilding your Forgotten Haven.
#7: Asterigos: Curse of the Stars
Asterigos: Curse of the Stars is a role-playing game launched on October 11th, 2022, for the PlayStation 5. This game is one of the best PlayStation 5 RPGs available today.
You have arrived at the mythological state of Aphes, which was constructed in the style of ancient Greece and Rome. The landscapes of Aphes are both beautiful and scary; they range from the misty bazaar lanes to the dark and perilous sewers, the mystifying woodlands on the city’s edges to the deep chasms filled with sparkling crystals. These landscapes can be found throughout the city.
On your travels, you’ll find a wide selection of melee and ranged weapons to combine and use in battle. Hammer, spear, sword and shield, dual blades, or even magical bracelets are only some of the six weapon types available to you in the talent system. Whether at a distance with a magical staff or up close with a big fighting hammer, you can destroy your enemies with either weapon.
Even though Aphes is known for its breathtaking landscape, individuals who are easily terrified should avoid the city because it is unsafe. Fight your way through 60 unique foes and 22 unique bosses, each of which has its own unique set of attacks and vulnerabilities.
Every choice you make will have an impact. You will be able to piece together Aphes‘ history through dialogues, uncovered papers, and cinematics, in addition to Hilda‘s notebook, which she will update with sketches and observations as you go around Aphes on your adventure, unearthing the truth behind the curse placed on the city.
- Take care of residents - Moonbury has around 30 unique inhabitants who will occasionally fall ill and call for your aid. Sick residents will have their schedules interrupted while they recuperate in...
- Diagnose symptoms and find a cure! - Hmm... a low heart rate and a bloated liver. Shoulder cramps, perhaps? No, these are sure signs of burning lungs. This patient has been consuming too much gelatin!...
- Gather ingredients out in the world. - Once you've decided on a potion, ointment, or salve, gather ingredients from the surrounding environments using your upgradable tools. Explore each unique region...
- Confront nasty monsters for their materials. - Gathering materials isn’t easy, sometimes you'll need to turn your trusty tools into weapons. Engage in real-time combat and brew various concoctions...
- Brew remedies in your cauldron. - The ingredients you gather can be mixed in your cauldron to brew medicine, vitamins, and more. The more experienced you become, the more you may advance your cauldron...
emPotion Permit/em is a role-playing game launched for the PlayStation 5 platform on September 22, 2022.
The people of Moonbury have always been suspicious of new technologies and inclined to stick to tried-and-true methods. When the mayor’s daughter fell ill, and the witch doctor couldn’t cure her, the small-town residents realized they needed help elsewhere.
The Medical Board has made the executive decision to send its most accomplished chemist, that would be you, to Moonbury to assist in the rescue of the mayor’s daughter and to persuade the town’s citizens of the merits of contemporary alchemy. This mission will take place to persuade the town’s citizens that contemporary alchemy is worthy of their support. In this malleable simulation role-playing game, you will need to earn their confidence to offer them specialized care while they suffer from various illnesses.
Play it for yourself after taking it home from Amazon here.
- Story Campaign: Journey across six vivid islands and embark on the adventure of becoming a Temtem tamer while fighting against the evil Clan Belsoto.
- Online World: The days of traveling solo are over; in Temtem the world is a massively multiplayer one. Tamers from around the world can join and you will be able to see them around you, living the...
- Co-Op Adventure: You will be able to join forces with a friend any time and work together towards your next goal. Catch new Temtem, complete a Route, or face off against a Temtem Leader; all while...
- Housing: Buy your own house at Atoll Row and decorate it your way. Buy new furniture, color your walls and you’ll be ready to invite your friends over!
- Customize: Customize your character to stand out from the crowd and get new cosmetics while you battle other tamers. Pick a silly hat, a comfy sweatshirt, some pants and you’re ready to go! Or maybe...
emTemtem/em was developed by Crema and distributed by Humble Bundle.
It is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) with a significant player community. On September 6, 2022, the video game was made available for purchase on the PlayStation 5 platform.
The Pokémon series heavily influenced emTemtem/em‘s gameplay in its aesthetics and mechanics. The players are tasked with exploring the region, catching, and commanding the eponymous emTemtem/em monsters in combat against other emTemtem/em that an NPC or another player controls. The battles of emTemtem/em take place on a pixel grid, similar to the double battles seen in the Pokémon series.
The players take on the role of a green emTemtem/em tamer setting out on a voyage across the six islands that make up the Airborne Archipelago, all the while attempting to stay one step ahead of the cunning plans of Clan Belsoto.
Get it for yourself on Amazon here.
#3: The Elder Scrolls Online: High Isle
The Elder Scrolls Online, also known as ESO, is a Bethesda Softworks and ZeniMax Online Studios massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
It came out in April 2014 for Windows and OS X. It came out in June 2015 for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles. The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S versions of the games were released in June 2022. In 2017, more than 2.5 million people played games every month. By 2021, more than 18 million copies were sold.
The events of Skyrim are set three centuries before the start of the game. You take on the role of Naryu Virian, a Dunmer who was previously a member of the Tribunal but now spies for the Empire. She becomes embroiled in an uprising against the Emperor and must escape from Imperial custody to avoid being put to death.
Through a series of quests, the tale of Morrowind is revealed, and you’ll travel all around Tamriel, from the ruins of the Dwemer to the caves of Black Marsh and even to a city controlled by merfolk beneath the waves. Enjoyable optional tasks add depth to the story.
#2: Salt and Sacrifice
Ska Studios developed and released the action role-playing game, Salt and Sacrifice.
An updated version was released on May 10, 2022, for PC (via Microsoft), PS4 (through Sony), and PS5 (through Sony). This game has five maps instead of one enormous one.
The player must kill several bosses during Mage Hunts to advance in the game and unlock new locations. Wizards leave powerful, unique weapons and equipment when defeated. Each weapon has a distinct armory and powers. The player may find hidden tomes that trigger Fated Mage hunts. Many hunts can be repeated to complete upgrading sets.
There are some staples of the Metroidvania genre here. The player will be able to explore previously inaccessible areas once they have the necessary traversal tools. Even if there isn’t a direct route, they’ll uncover a number of alternate routes that make getting about quite fast and simple.
This game supports playing with other people simultaneously online. Players have the option of joining any number of different multiplayer factions. Although Blueheart Runners can recruit enemies known as Haze Burnt to eliminate the hosting player, the Shroud Alliance will infiltrate their session to track them out and kill them.
If they are recruited, Oathbound Watchers and Sheriff Inquisitors will join the invaded players in battle and help defend their territory. In the game’s cooperative mode, two players can use a password protection system to keep other players from invading their territory and finish the campaign together.
- Set in a grim land plagued by war, Tails of Iron is a hand-drawn RPG Adventure with punishingly brutal combat
- Master brutal combat, inspired by the souls-like genre, featuring dodge-rolls, parry bashes, and fatal executions
- Explore a vast and treacherous Kingdom, comprising six distinct biomes, each with its own hidden paths and secrets
- Immerse yourself in the compelling story, narrated by the deep, raspy Doug Cockle
- Crimson Knight Edition - Arise, young squire, and become a legendary protector of the realm with the exclusive Crimson Knight Edition, containing 3 Armour Skins, 3 Weapon Skins, 3 Shield Skins, & 3...
emTails of Iron/em is a war-torn RPG adventure game that debuted on September 17, 2022.
Redgi, the new ruler of the Rat Throne, must overcome the cruel Frog Clan and Greenwalt to restore your country. Many interesting people will support you as you traverse the world.
You’ll need all the support you can get, whether it’s a new cooking technique, a design for deadly weaponry and armor, or a mole-powered, armored vehicle that can span land. To win a lethal fight, you must anticipate and equal your opponent. You can dodge bashes, execute, and shoot arrows from afar.
Side missions and faction hunts can earn money, or you can team up with a sharp-eyed companion to even the odds.
Join the adventure today from Amazon here.
The role-playing game genre on the PS5 is among the most exhilarating genres. Thanks to RPGs, you can design your character and go through different worlds. The above role-playing games for the PlayStation 5 are our top recommendations if you’re looking for unique, action-packed games.
- The Absolute Best PlayStation 5 First-Person Shooter (FPS) Games of All Time
- The 7 Absolute Best PlayStation 4 First-Person Shooters of All Time
- The Absolute Best PlayStation Portable Real-Time Strategy Games of All Time
- The Absolute Best PlayStation 2 First-Person Shooters of All Time