The PlayStation 4 is a video game console that was released in late 2013 by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the successor to the PlayStation 3.
The PS4 was released with a number of new features, including high-definition graphics and a Blu-ray drive. The console has been very successful and has sold over 116 million units worldwide as of August 2022.
The PlayStation 4 has been around for several years, and plenty of RPGs have come out on it. Some are ports or remasters, and some are original titles, but all have one thing in common — they’re all excellent games you should play. If you are a fan of video games and RPGs, then you’re likely into the PlayStation 4 because of the number of great RPG games available for purchase on the platform.
The PlayStation 4 may be getting older, but it can still play the very best RPGs. These days, the PS4 might be overlooked by many gamers who are looking to invest in next-generation consoles. However, it’s still a fantastic system that can give you plenty of quality RPG experiences if you know where to look.
Let’s dive into the best role-playing games for the PS4!
What is a Role-Playing Game?
A role-playing game is a type of video game that encourages the player to imagine themselves as a character on an imaginary adventure. In a role-playing game, players take on the role of an individual or group of characters and interact with each other in a story. The story can be set in any fictional world, but it’s common for the characters and their surroundings to be based on real-world locations.
Most RPGs aim to complete quests and defeat enemies, earning experience points along the way. These experiences are used to increase the player’s level within the game world; higher levels mean more powerful characters and better equipment options.
Was the PlayStation 4 Known for Role-Playing Games?
Sony’s PS4 console has been known for its strong lineup of first-party and third-party games since its release. People loved playing games on it because they could connect with others through social media and chat rooms.
It also had more processing power than any other console on the market then, allowing developers to make games with higher resolutions and more complex graphics than ever before. These factors helped make it one of the most successful consoles of all time.
So, if you’re wondering which PS4 RPG to spend your free time with, check out this list of the best RPGs currently available on Sony’s console. Whether you’re looking to play solo or with friends, explore new worlds, or slay dragons, here are some of the best PlayStation 4 RPGs available today.
#10. emNieR: Automata/em
- Game of the YoRHa Edition includes the game along with DLC and bonus content for the full experience of the award winning post-apocalyptic action RPG; See description below for complete details
- Action packed battles and fluid combat perfect for both newcomers and experienced action gamers
- Includes RPG elements such as leveling, different weapon types, combat skills, and customizable load outs
- The desolate open world features beautiful vistas and a wealth of sidequests in addition to the main storyline
- Pods assist in and outside of battle and can be upgraded with new attack variations and abilities
Developed by the video game company Square Enix, emNieR: Automata/em is an action RPG with elements of bullet hell games.
This third-person shooter has a story that revolves around androids attempting to reclaim Earth after an alien invasion. Players can expect an intuitive combat system for various missions and side quests. In emNieR: Automata/em, you will play as two characters — 2B and 9S. The player can switch between the two at any time during gameplay. The protagonist’s goal is to help end humanity’s violent war against machine lifeforms while discovering their own identity.
The story is compelling with a twist at every turn, but it’s not what makes emNieR: Automata/em so special — it’s the gameplay that makes this game stand out from the crowd.
The combat system is fast-paced, challenging, and never unfair or overly difficult. You’ll have to put in some serious time to get good at it, but once you do well, let’s just say that it’ll be hard to go back to another game again.
The music is also incredible — it sets an eerie atmosphere throughout the game that helps draw you into its world and make it feel like your own. And, if you’re looking for something more than just a good story or fun gameplay, there are plenty of sidequests and other things to do while playing through this game. There’s no shortage of reasons why this one deserves your attention.
#9. emPersona 5/em
- The 5th numbered game in the series, created by renowned developers! The core development team of the recent Persona titles unites again for this upcoming game.
- A deep and engaging storyline - The thrilling story of a team of defiant teenagers, growing through every trial they face, begins now. Each case will take you one step closer to the truth veiled in...
- Unique and interesting dungeons with various tricks and traps await - Overcome various obstacles with graceful Phantom Thief action. The simple-to-learn, but hard-to-master controls will be enjoyed by...
- Language - A stable of talented voice actors have provided English voice-overs while ATLUS’ celebrated localization team offers an English script that provides a faithful and engaging play...
emPersona 5/em is a role-playing game that follows the story of the Phantom Thieves, a group of high schoolers who get the chance to take revenge on the people who have wronged them.
The player’s goal is to stop corrupt politicians and other shady characters from ruining the city. The characters in this game are all well-developed and likable. They have their motivations and personalities that make them feel unique and real — and each character has a story arc that unfolds throughout the game. You get to see how they grow as people over time, which makes it very easy to invest yourself in them emotionally.
The gameplay is fun and varied: there are social links to take care of, side quests to complete with new abilities or items that make your life easier, mini-games with character storylines attached (and sometimes it’s just fun to watch characters interact with each other), and more. There’s always something new happening on screen at any given moment, so you never feel bored or stuck waiting for something else to happen.
The graphics are gorgeous, too: every scene looks like it was taken straight out of a cinema-quality film. The cities look realistic enough that you can imagine living there. What makes emPersona 5/em so special is its ability to tell a compelling story while providing a deep and engaging experience. The combat system takes inspiration from older titles in the series and requires strategic planning to win battles, but it never feels too difficult or tedious. If you’re looking for one of the best JRPGs available on PS4, look no further than emPersona 5/em.
Follow along with the Phantom Thieves by buying this game on Amazon here.
- Turn an overgrown field into a lively farm! Raise animals, start an orchard, craft useful machines, and more!
- Improve your skills over time. As you make your way from a struggling greenhorn to a master farmer, you'll level up in 5 different areas: farming, mining, combat, fishing, and foraging.
- Become a part of the local community. Over 30 unique characters living in Stardew Valley, each with their own daily schedule, birthday, unique mini-cutscenes, and new things to say throughout the week...
- Explore a vast, mysterious cave. Encounter new and dangerous monsters, powerful weapons, new environments, valuable gemstones, and other treasures as you venture deeper underground!
- Craft bait, bobbers, and crab pots to help you in your journey toward catching every fish and becoming a local legend!
emStardew Valley/em is one of the best PlayStation 4 RPGs ever made.
It’s a game with the feel of Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing but with an RPG twist. When you first start the game, you’ll be greeted by your farmhouse, furnishings, and initial crops. There’s also a town center where players can sell their produce, buy new tools and upgrades for their farm, and meet other players through the game’s multiplayer mode.
The game’s mechanics are simple: grow crops, raise animals, make money from selling produce, and buy new tools and items from the town center — the basics of any good farming simulator. What makes emStardew Valley/em great are its unique features; for example, if you choose to marry someone in the game (with whom you can have children), that person will move into your house and become an NPC who interacts with you daily. The same goes for marriage partners in other towns around emStardew Valley/em — they’re all different characters who act differently based on how you interact with them over time.
The graphics in emStardew Valley/em are very well-done and have many different types of backgrounds, so there isn’t just one type of environment throughout all regions within each map type found within Pelican Town.
- Created by Dark Souls and Elden Ring developers FromSoftware
- Discover the dark and horrifying secrets of the gothic city of Yharnam
- Stunning visuals and atmospheric lighting
- New online experiences
emBloodborne/em is one of the absolute best PlayStation 4 RPGs of all time, hands down.
It’s a gothic horror game set in the 19th-century city of Yharnam, and it’s full of brutal combat and dark secrets. The setting is beautiful, with winding streets and dilapidated buildings that make you feel like you’re exploring an old town that hasn’t been touched by time in many years.
The characters are interesting, too — especially the hunter you play as, who can be male or female, depending on your choices in-game. There’s also a lot of depth to the combat system and its mechanics; for example, you can choose from various weapons (including swords) and use them to attack enemies from different angles. The game also has fun little side quests that allow you to experiment with different strategies to defeat enemies.
emBloodborne/em is one of those games that feels like you’re playing something truly original. It has so many twists and turns that no other game could ever possibly match its level of creativity while remaining completely accessible to players who aren’t very good at action games or RPGs yet want something challenging but accessible at their skill level.
You can get it for yourself on Amazon here.
For over 30 years, Final Fantasy has been one of the best-selling franchises in gaming history, and its long list of games has attracted fans of all ages. emFinal Fantasy VII/em is a classic example of how to create a compelling role-playing game.
It’s not just about combat—it’s about story, character development, and exploration. If you want to play a game that can take you on an emotional roller coaster, this one’s for you.
The story follows two protagonists on a journey through a world called Gaia, where they encounter creatures known as Materia, which can be used as a weapon or to heal wounds. The game also includes many combat-related elements, including fighting with swords, guns, and magic spells.
The game’s gameplay is divided into two parts: battle and exploration. During the battle, players control Cloud using “limit breaks” — powerful attacks that can be unleashed after filling a gauge with points gained through combat. Exploration involves exploring each area to solve puzzles or find items that help advance the plot. There are also optional sidequests that reward players with additional items or abilities when completed successfully.
The game has received positive reviews since its release in 1997, and critics praised its graphics, music, voice acting, and story arc as well-done for its time (especially compared to some other games released around this time). It was also cited as one of the best Final Fantasy games released until then (along with Final Fantasy VI).
Try it out on Amazon here.
- Unravel an epic mystery in a riveting tale
- Assemble a Colorful Cast of Loyal Companions
- Explore a beautiful, living world
- Engage in classic battles with a modern twist
- Have some fun & save the world;Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) Content Description: Crude humor, fantasy violence, mild blood, simulated gambling, suggestive themes, use of alcohol
emDragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age/em is a beautiful, sprawling RPG that’s also one of the most popular games on the PS4.
The story is epic and full of twists, and the world is painted in a gorgeous, detailed style that brings the game to life. The combat is simple enough to learn but engaging enough to keep you returning for more.
The story begins when the hero takes on a quest to save the world from an evil force that has been wreaking havoc on the land since time immemorial. The plot unfolds through a series of dialogues with other characters who are also trying to protect their world from the same threat. As players progress through the game, they’ll find themselves traveling through multiple landscapes, each more beautiful than the last.
The battle system is what really makes this game shine. It combines turn-based combat with real-time elements like character movement and positioning to provide a unique experience every time you play. You can customize your party by choosing different abilities for each character, which gives them unique abilities during battle — and even after it ends! By doing so, players can create their strategy for success in combat scenarios that range from easy challenges to difficult encounters.
Check it out on Amazon here.
- Based in the universe of the award-winning series, Persona!
- Don the mask of Joker and join the Phantom Thieves of Hearts
- Packed with new characters, confidants, story depth, locations to explore, and a new grappling hook mechanic for stealthy access
- With a new semester at Shujin Academy, you'll strengthen your abilities in the metaverse and in daily life
- Even for the most seasoned Phantom Thieves among us, this game is a new challenge to defy conventions, discover the power within, and fight for justice
When it comes to the absolute best PlayStation 4 RPGs of all time, there are few games that stand out as much as emPersona 5 Royal/em.
This game has been on the market for over five years, but it’s still one of the best role-playing games ever. It has some slight additions to the original and introduces two more characters and a third school semester.
Players take on the role of a teenage kid in Japan who is wrongfully convicted of a crime and ends up with a criminal record. You make friends with other kids whose bad adults have cheated, and you discover the power to make those evil adults feel sorrow and confess their misdeeds (by fighting demons in their heads), and set out to save the world.
You spend half of your time in the real world working part-time jobs, preparing for exams, and making friends, and the other half killing monsters, stealing riches, and persuading other youths and strange creatures to fight alongside you.
This version includes all the downloadable content from the original game, including costumes, weapons, and equipment for your character, an artbook, an original soundtrack CD, an official guidebook with unlockable content, a collector’s box for storage purposes, and more!
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game of the year edition brings together the base game and all the additional content released to date
- Built for endless adventure, the open world of The Witcher sets new standards of size, complexity, and depth
- PlayStation 4 Complete Edition
- Over 800 awards won
emThe Witcher 3: Wild Hunt/em is an open-world role-playing game released in 2015.
It is the third installment in the series, based on a series of novels by Polish author, Andrzej Sapkowski. The game takes place in a fictional land and follows the story of Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter named Witcher.
It features a huge map filled with quests and sidequests that make it easier to get around and see everything there is to see in this massive game. The story is compelling, the characters are well-written and memorable, and it’s fun to play through.
Whether fighting monsters or completing secondary quests like dealing with bandits in remote villages, this game never fails to deliver an immersive experience. With hundreds of hours of gameplay content and an intriguing narrative that constantly grabs your attention, you can’t go wrong with emThe Witcher 3: Wild Hunt/em.
You can buy it on Amazon for PS4 here.
- One person is all that stands between humanity and the greatest threat it’s ever faced.
- Relive the legend of Commander Shepard in the highly acclaimed Mass Effect trilogy with the Mass Effect Legendary Edition.
- Includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, including promo weapons, armors, and packs - remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD.
emMass Effect/em is one of the most popular video games ever made, and with good reason.
It’s a story-driven RPG that allows you to take on the role of Commander Shepard and explore the universe. The game is full of action-packed battles, but it’s also packed with plenty of exploration and discovery. It follows Commander Shepard‘s quest to stop an ancient machine race known as the Reapers from wiping out all life in the galaxy.
Combat has been modified to feel more consistent with the successors, with the smarter squad and enemy intelligence, enhanced aim assist, a stickier lock-on, rebalanced weaponry, and a dedicated melee button. Certain boss encounters have been improved to seem less frustrating, such as increased levels and more frequent auto-saving.
The story is intense and gripping — you’ll feel like you’re part of an epic adventure with every decision you make. You can also import your character from other emMass Effect/em games into this one if you want to get back into the action quickly after playing something else.
- Develop party members using the Character Builder
- Buy gear using in-game currency, or construct your own
- Side-quests and mini-games to try and monsters to ride
- Start the game with Draconian Quest for a bigger challenge
- Capture your favorite gameplay moments with Photo Mode
- The Definitive Edition brings new features and experiences to this acclaimed adventure
- Bonus characters stories
This latest installment in the Dragon Quest series is undoubtedly the most beautiful and sophisticated. emDragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age/em employs cutting-edge Unreal Engine graphics that are unrivaled by any other RPG available on the market.
In addition to its beauty, emDragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age/em is one of the most fully featured games ever released on PS4. You will be swept away in this masterpiece from start to finish, with 100 hours of story content. There’s no question why this is our number one pick for the absolute best RPGs on the Playstation 4.
This game is everything you’ve expected from the series, but with a few new twists and turns, it feels fresh. The story is classic Dragon Quest with a new twist — you’re playing as a silent protagonist who doesn’t interact with others as much as he does in previous games. You also have two other characters who can help you during battle, adding more depth to the combat system.
The graphics are beautiful and well-animated, and the world feels alive, thanks to its open-world design. The music is some of the best you’ve heard in any video game. Overall, this game is definitely worth your time if you’re looking for something new or want to relive some old memories.
Play the best RPG for PS4 when you get it off Amazon here.
RPGs take their rightful place as one of the most popular genres of video games. While the PlayStation 4 has dominated the last generation in terms of the sheer volume of RPGs, it is also a powerful new piece of hardware for these dynamic games to shine on. Many role-playing games have been released on the PlayStation 4, and this console will likely only grow with the genre.
- The Absolute Best Game Boy Color RPGs of All Time
- The Absolute Best Atari RPGs of All Time
- The Absolute Best PlayStation 4 Sandbox Games of All Time
The image featured at the top of this post is ©George Dolgikh/Shutterstock.com.