When it is time to upgrade your home theater’s sound system, the Sonos brand is one of the most recognized and respected in the industry. The Sonos Playbar and Arc are excellent speakers that provide a high-quality sound system for your entertainment space.
Both soundbars offer several similar capabilities, but there are a few differences that make it easy to decide which one is better suited for your individual needs.
In this article, we’ll discuss the main differences between Sonos Arc and Playbar, how to choose between them, and which one is right for your listening needs.
Sonos Arc vs. Playbar: A Side-by-Side Comparison
|Sonos Arc||Sonos Playbar|
|Speaker||Eleven drivers, eight custom woofers, three tweeters||Nine drivers, six mid-woofers, three tweeters|
|Size||87 x 1142 x 116 mm||85 x 900 x 140 mm|
|Weight||6.25 kg||5.4 kg|
Sonos Arc vs. Playbar: What’s the Difference?
Both devices are designed to help you enjoy your audio experience TV. However, there are several key differences between both soundbars.
Dolby Atmos is a surround sound technology that creates a more immersive, three-dimensional audio experience in your home. It uses ceiling-mounted or in-ceiling speakers to bounce sound off the ceiling and create a surround sound experience.
The Sonos Playback lacks this feature. However, even though it doesn’t support Dolby Atmos, the Sonos Playbar still offers a high-quality audio experience. So, if you’re looking for a soundbar that offers an immersive listening experience, then you might consider buying the Sonos Arc.
Price and Where to Buy
The Playbar is no longer manufactured, so it is not available on the Sonos website. The Sonos Arc is available on Sonos’ website for $899.
- All-new Sonos Arc - Bring all your entertainment to life with the brilliantly realistic sound of Arc, featuring Dolby Atmos. Enjoy control with your TV remote, voice, the Sonos app, Apple AirPlay 2, and more
- 3D sound with Dolby Atmos - Experience shows, movies, and games with the precise and immersive sound of Dolby Atmos
- Tuned to perfection - Enhanced Trueplay tuning technology optimizes the sound for the unique acoustics of the room
- Immerse yourself in the music - Stream music, radio, podcasts, and more from your favorite services with the Sonos app or Apple AirPlay 2 when the TV is off
- Class 10 for Full HD video recording and playback (Full HD (1920x1080) video support may vary based upon host device, file attributes, and other factors.)
- The mountable soundbar for TV, movies, music, and more
- Enjoy crisp dialogue and impressive bass from wall to wall with Playbar. Control it with the Sonos app, your remote, and more
- Whether you mount it on the wall or place it below your TV on a stand or console, Playbar automatically tunes itself for the best possible sound
- Playbar was specially tuned by Oscar winning sound engineers to emphasize the sound of the human voice so you can always follow the story
- Easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over WiFi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together
The Sonos Playbar is a rectangular soundbar that can be placed either on a TV stand or mounted on a wall. It has six mid-range woofers and three tweeters.
The Sonos Arc has a sleeker appearance, and boasts a curved matte black finish. It also has eight high-excursion woofers and three tweeters.
When it comes to sound quality, both the Sonos Arc and Playbar are excellent options. However, there are some key differences between the two that are worth considering.
The Sonos Arc is equipped with 11 Class-D digital amplifiers and three tweeters, while the Playbar has nine Class-D digital amplifiers and six mid-range drivers.
The Sonos Arc also features Dolby Atmos technology, which creates a more immersive and realistic soundscape. It creates a 3D soundscape that envelops you in your favorite movies and TV shows.
In terms of audio quality, the Sonos Arc is the clear winner, mostly due to its newer, updated technology. However, it is important to note that the Sonos Playbar is still a very good option if you are looking for high-quality sound.
In order to understand the difference between the Sonos Arc and the Sonos Playbar, it is important to first understand the different ways in which each product connects to your TV.
The main difference between HDMI and optical is that HDMI offers a much higher quality audio signal than optical. This means that if you have a TV with an HDMI input, then the Sonos Arc is the best option. However, if your TV only has an optical input, the Sonos Playbar is still a great option.
However, both soundbars support Wi-Fi connection, and you can always connect them to your local network.
A major difference between the Sonos Arc and the Sonos Playbar is that the former is a newer product with updated features, while the latter is an older product that is no longer being manufactured.
Both products are soundbars designed to improve the audio quality of your TV, but the Sonos Arc has some advantages over the Sonos Playbar. The Sonos Arc has a higher-quality audio system with Dolby Atmos support for 3D sound.
Sonos Arc vs. Playbar: 7 Must-Know Facts
- The Sonos Arc was released in 2020, while the Playbar was released in 2013.
- The Sonos Arc and Sonos Playbar have the same price tag, but the Arc offers some additional, updated features that make it the better buy.
- The Sonos Arc has Dolby Atmos support, while the Sonos Playbar does not.
- The Sonos Arc comes with a wireless subwoofer and the Sonos Playbar does not.
- The Sonos Arc has HDMI eARC support, while the Sonos Playbar does not. This means that the Arc can provide a higher-quality audio experience than the Playbar.
- The Sonos Arc has built-in Alexa and Google Assistant support and the Playbar does not. With Sonos Arc’s inbuilt assistant, you can use your voice to control music playback and other functions on the Arc.
- The Sonos Arc has eight custom woofers and the Playbar has six.
Sonos Arc vs. Playbar: Which One is Better? Which One Should You Use?
Between the two, the Sonos Arc is undoubtedly the best option, especially if you are looking for a soundbar with the best possible audio quality and the latest technology. The only exception would be if your TV only has an optical input; in this case, the Sonos Playbar is more for you.
We highly recommend Sonos Arc due to its impressive features, such as Alexa compatibility, HDMI support, and Dolby Atmos support. Despite its high price, we’re sure the Sonos Arc would be an excellent addition to your home and help you enjoy an immersive audio experience while watching movies or your favorite sports.
Last update on 2022-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API