- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is considered the best game in the series due to its refined gameplay and introduction of new characters like Tails and Knuckles.
- Speedrunning categories for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 include Beat the Game, Glitchless, and collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds.
- Other games similar to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 include Sonic Origins, Sonic Mania, and various ports of Sonic CD.
- Superboomfan has achieved a legendary world record-breaking run of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 without using any glitches.
Speedrunning Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is always an impressive feat, especially if you’re doing a Glitchless run like Superboomfan. Sonic has been one of Sega’s most beloved franchises since the blue blur’s debut.
The original trilogy of games is great, but Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is held as the best in the series for good reason. Before watching Superboomfan’s legendary world record-breaking run, there is plenty to explore with Sonic and the speedrunning scene around the games.
Speedrunning is nothing new to retro games, so it’s impressive to see this level of mastery. If you’re new to speedrunning, this might help you to seek out the necessary resources to start making Sonic go even faster.
Why Do Gamers Love Sonic the Hedgehog 2?
Sonic the Hedgehog has captivated gamers since the launch of the original Sega Genesis. The first game helped usher in the 16-bit era with stunning visuals, incredible music, and gameplay that was more akin to a deluxe arcade experience.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 builds upon the first game’s massive impact and delivers a refined and polished experience. This was the game that introduced gamers to Sonic’s spindash, stalwart companion Tails, and rival Knuckles.
It is a perfect storm of retro goodness and one of those flagship titles of yesteryear that 100% merits a play-through for new fans of the series.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has a few speed-running categories for competition. The most common category is Beat the Game, which is exactly what it sounds like.
In speedrunning parlance, this is just Any% with a different name. Gamers will have to complete the game by any means necessary. They often use bugs and flaws in the original game’s code to get things done.
Glitchless is the most impressive category. This means you’re beating the game through completely legitimate means, rather than working with buggy code and system limitations.
The final category is getting all of the Chaos Emeralds. The Chaos Emeralds serve as collectibles, with seven throughout the entire game. This is usually a tall order to get all seven even for players who are playing the game casually.
Dedicated speedrunners have already discussed the optimal routes and glitches players can take advantage of. It is simply a matter of putting the time in to get proficient at speedrunning it.
More Games Like Sonic the Hedgehog 2
If you’re a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, there are thankfully plenty of other games along the same lines to tickle your fancy.
Retro enthusiasts will likely enjoy Sonic Origins, which collects the original three games for the Sega Genesis into one tidy collection.
- Modern ports of Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic CD
- Play as Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and Amy
- Features additional modes and challenges
Sonic Mania is arguably the best of the recent Sonic games. It features classic gameplay with a whole new set of levels and an incredible soundtrack. Mania is like the classic sequel that gamers never received and features loads of playable characters.
- A modern take on retro excellence
- Play as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles through multiple new stages
- Features stunning sprite work and an incredible soundtrack
There are also numerous ports of Sonic CD. Sonic CD is from the classic era but features some fun twists on the gameplay while featuring series mainstay Amy for the first time.
Watch Superboomfan Clear Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with No Glitches
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Toro_The_Bull - Arturelia /Shutterstock.com.