Those who keep up with all the major league sports teams might think they know all there is to know about live sporting events. However, there’s a whole other world out there to explore: that of college sports. This is where the SEC Network comes into play. Not to be confused with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the SEC Network is home to all the head-to-head matches within the Southeastern Conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Here’s how to find the channel on your DISH Network guide.
If you’re tired of channel surfing on DISH Network, check out one of these great streaming options:
Pick your choice of ESPN+, Hulu, and Disney Plus. Plans start as low as $4.99/month for ESPN+ only.
Free trial available. Watch 75+ channels, including local channels and special premium channel offers.
Take a 7-day free trial and stream more than 70 channels live. Record your favorites with unlimited DVR.
SEC Network Channel Guide
|DISH Network Channel Number
History of the SEC Network
The SEC Network (or SECN, as you sometimes see it abbreviated) is a joint venture between two major sports media conglomerates: The Walt Disney Company and Hearst Communications. Like their other joint venture, ESPN, Disney owns 80% of the channel while Hearst has control of the other 20%. SECN is all college sports all the time. You won’t find a major league game anywhere on its schedule at any time. Likewise, you won’t find this station straying away from its primary focus: the NCAA’s Southeastern Conference.
As of this writing, the SEC Network is the most popular dedicated sports station in all of broadcasting. It currently boasts more than 70 million subscribers — a staggering figure for any network, not to mention a sports one. Its 2014 launch came with some equally historic terms. Michael Slive, commissioner of the SEC, and John Skipper, president of ESPN, announced the monumental 20-year joint venture between Disney, Hearst, and the NCAA. This means the network is locked in through at least 2034.
Its closest rivals are the Big Ten Network and the Pac-12 Network, but it’s hard to truly call them competitors when they’re all focused on different territories. More specifically, the SEC is confined exclusively to fourteen teams across twelve states in the southeastern corner of the United States. (The Big Ten covers the northeastern part of the country, while the Pac-12 is limited to the western side of the U.S.) Today, the SEC Network offers live coverage of all 21 sports sanctioned by the Southeastern Conference of the NCAA.
SEC Network Sister Stations
|FX Movie Channel
|Nat Geo Wild
SEC Network Programming
We know that SECN covers more than 20 sports sanctioned by the Southeastern Conference. However, we don’t exactly know what those sports are (or how the station covers them to begin with). Let’s review some of the most popular programming on the SEC Network across its two key types: live sporting events and live talk shows.
Starting in 2024, SECN will broaden its coverage to include additional teams from Texas and Oklahoma. With this move, the SEC Network will provide even more expansive coverage of all 21 sports in the conference. These live events total more than 450 every year. Some of the most popular events include football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, and gymnastics.
News and Analysis
In between sporting events on SECN, you’re likely to encounter some sort of live news or game analysis. The network’s flagship show is SEC Nation, airing every Saturday morning ahead of the day’s big SEC football game. It’s not all explicitly about sports, however. SECN also has shows like True South, which explores local food and history in southern cities within the SEC.