- Prices and scarcity for graphics cards have come dropped almost back to normalcy.
- The RX 6800 outperforms the RTX 3080 in crypto mining.
- Having the correct power requirements for these pieces of hardware are important, so make sure you check to see what your machine is capable of before purchasing.
After a few years of biting chip shortages and inflated prices, the GPU market has cooled. You can go back to the market and buy graphics cards for gaming, streaming, or video editing. Prices have fallen. If you plan to use your PC for gaming in VR, then having a powerful graphics card is even more critical.
Today, we put two of the best graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD head-to-head: the RTX 3070 vs RX 6800. Both GPUs have their pros and cons and can support high-detail gaming. Which graphics card is better? That’s what we’ll try to answer. Using side-by-side comparisons, features, and benchmarks, we’ll settle the debate of which GPU is superior.
Side By Side Comparison: RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800
The key to understanding how the RTX 3070 stacks up against the RX 6800 is to compare the specs of each card. We’ve compiled the full specifications of each graphics card so you can see the difference yourself. See how they compare:
|Specs||RTX 3070||RX 6800|
|Graphics processor||GA104||Navi 21|
|Vram capacity||8 GB||16 GB|
|Bus width||256 bit||256 bit|
|GPU clock||1500 MHz||1700 MHz|
|Boost clock||1725 MHz||1815 MHz|
|Memory clock||1750 MHz||2000 MHz|
|Texture fill rate||317.4 GTexel/s||532.8 GTexel/s|
|Pixel rate||165.6 GPixel/s||186.5 GPixel/s|
|Double Floating-point performance||317.4 GFLOPS||532.8 GFLOPS|
There are notable differences between the Nvidia card and the AMD card. Both GPUs show excellent theoretical performance, but the RX 6800 surpasses the RTX 3070 in a few key areas. With more video memory, the RX 6800 is also better suited for applications that require loading large graphics files and heavy textures.
RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800: What’s the Difference?
Even though the RTX 3070 and RX 6800 are designed to compete head-to-head, some notable differences exist between them. Nvidia released the RTX 3070 in September of 2020. AMD followed suit and released RX 6800 a month later, in October 2020.
Nvidia intended the RTX 3070 to be an upgrade over the RTX 2070, which came out over a year earlier. Gamers rejoiced when the RTX 3070 was launched it delivered improved performance. A newer graphics architecture made the RTX 3070 46% faster than its predecessor RTX 2070. The RTX 3070 also showed a huge increase in average frame rates on the most popular games.
On the other hand, the RX 6800 was intended to stand on its own. Its closest predecessor was the RX 5700XT. With a launch price of $579, the Radeon RX 6800 is still difficult to get at MSRP. The higher price tag puts it out of reach for most budget gamers.
The RTX 3070 launched at an MSRP of $499 and provided similar performance but at a lower price than the RX 6800. However, a GPU shortage resulted in wild price inflation, erasing any price benefits offered by the RTX 3070.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition
- The GeForce RTX 3070 is powered by Ampere—NVIDIA’s 2nd gen RTX architecture.
- Built with enhanced RT Cores and Tensor Cores, new streaming multiprocessors, and high-speed G6 memory, it gives you the power you need to rip through the most demanding games.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Powered by the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics processing unit (GPU) with a 1695MHz boost clock speed to help meet the needs of demanding games. 8GB GDDR6 (256-bit) Video...
- Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering delivers striking graphics with incredible realism. HDMI and Display Port outputs enable flexible connectivity. PCI Express 4.0 and earlier PCI Express 3.0....
- Chipset: Radeon RX 6800
- Video Memory: 16GB GDDR6
- Memory Interface: 256-bit
- Output: DisplayPort x 3 (v1.4) / HDMI 2.1 x 1
- Digital maximum resolution - 7680 x 4320
What are some Must-Know Facts: RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800
- Both GPUs utilize the latest PCI-E 4.0 standard
- Both cards support DirectX-12 for maximum gaming compatibility
- The RTX 3070 and RX 6800 both use DDR6 video memory
- Both cards incorporate advanced upscaling technology to boost resolution
RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800: Power Requirements and Connectivity
One crucial factor to keep in mind when selecting a new graphics card is the power requirements. The RTX 3070 and RX 6800 have hefty requirements, so you should arm yourself with an ample power supply.
The RTX 3070 draws up to 220 watts and is fed through two 6-pin power connectors. The RX 6800 is slightly more demanding, with a power draw rated at 250 watts. Additionally, you will need two 8-pin power connectors to run the RX 6800.
As for connectivity, both GPUs are compatible with various gaming monitors, even high-end 4K monitors. The RTX 3070 offers 1 HDMI 2.1 port and three Display Port connectors. On the other hand, the RX 6800 offers one HDMI 2.1 port, two Display Port connectors, and a USB Type-C port.
Which One Is Better For Gaming: RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800?
The good news is that the RTX 3070 and RX 6800 are fantastic for gaming. Both GPUs also far exceed the recommended requirements for almost every game. Even more demanding, newer titles will run with no problems.
But which graphics card comes out on top? We noticed that both GPUs are far better than what you need for 1080p gaming, so we compiled benchmarks that tested games at 4K ultra HD. Even at the highest settings, both graphics offer great performance. Check out the benchmarks below:
|Title||RTX 3070||RX 6800|
|Battlefield V||79+ FPS||95+ FPS|
|Hitman 2||65+ FPS||72+ FPS|
|Borderlands 3||44+ FPS||54+ FPS|
|Fortnite||68+ FPS||82+ FPS|
|Apex Legends||109+ FPS||114+ FPS|
|Cyberpunk 2077||34+ FPS||34+ FPS|
From the benchmarks, the RX 6800 is the clear winner. We saw higher average frame rates on almost every game. Even demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077 ran great, with both cards showing similar results. The superior card for most games is the RX 6800.
RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800 for Crypto Mining
If you’d like to venture into crypto mining, picking a GPU with a decent hash rate and software is crucial. The bad news is that the RTX 3070 is loaded with anti-mining software. And this can get in the way of crypto mining as its hash rate will be cut in half.
On the other hand, the RX 6800 is much more efficient for mining as it has no antimining measures. Users reported an average of 10% better mining performance on the RX 6800 than the RTX 3070. If you want to use your GPU for mining, then the RX 6800 is the wiser choice.
RTX 3070 vs. RX 6800: Which One Is Better? Which One Should You Choose?
If you are just looking for a budget gaming experience, then either one of these graphics cards will be more than enough. These GPUs are an overkill in most games. And, the RX 6800 can really push the limits and deliver the best performance possible.
RX 6800 also outperforms the RTX 3080 in crypto mining. Since Nvidia decided to cap the mining capabilities of the RTX 3070, the RX 6800 is much more profitable. Other graphics-intensive applications will be slightly better on the RX 6800 as well.
The only issue is finding one of these cards at a reasonable price. If you can buy an RX 6800 at a similar price or slightly more than the RTX 3070, that would be great. Overall, the RX 6800 is the graphics card.
We have plenty more articles about graphics cards and other hardware! Check these out below.
- Support Brackets Needed for the Gigantic RTX 4090 Graphics Cards. Make sure you get the correct brackets for this beast.
- AMD RX 6600-XT vs Nvidia RTX 3060: Which Mid-Tier Graphics Card is Best? We break down these two from top to bottom.
- Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti vs 1650: Which Entry-Level Graphics Card is Better? Trying to decide? No worries; we have the pros and cons for you here!