- The Retroid Pocket 3 is an excellent fit for most retro gamers. Not only is handheld but includes micro-HDMI cable.
- The Retroid Pocket 3 was announced on August 15th, and shipping started on the 20th. The pricepoint for the Retroid Pocket 3 base model is $119.
- The Pocket 3 is pretty much identical to the Pocket 2+. They both use the Unisoc T310 processor and come stock with 2GB of RAM, but you can upgrade the Pocket 3 to 3GB of RAM for an extra $10.
As a retro gamer fan, you may have heard of Go Retroid before. If you haven’t, they make some of the best retro handhelds on the market. The company is quite young and focuses on quality products and not mass production. Despite the small output, their consoles have always been competitively priced.
Retroid Pocket 3 is the third generation that Go Retroid has developed. Unfortunately, the company scaled down their console production due to the pandemic and biting chip shortages. But now that it is out, the retro community is all about it. And the price tag is amazingly affordable. Let’s explore the Retroid Pocket 3 and see it’s worth an investment.
- Release Date
- Original price
- Units Sold
Best Deals Today
Because of production issues, Retroid has been selling the Retroid Pocket 3 on their website. However, if they follow the pattern of their previous releases, you can expect to see the Pocket 3 on Amazon by November or December.
At the time of writing, Go Retroid has not announced any plans to make the Pocket 3 available on Amazon.
Retroid Pocket 3: Overview
- Integrated rumble motor for better gaming experience. Right joystick upgrading from digital to analog for better gaming experience.
- Made Bigger, make Better: With 7.27in*3.2in*0.95in body size, you can get a bigger screen and higher display to body ratio. It brings better visual and gaming experience.
- Joyfulness of Android Games -- Download APK for Android and customize keys, Retroid Pocket 3 is compatible with more than 500 popular games and counting.
- For gamers on the go -- Compact and lightweight console, you can jump into your favorite games wherever you happen to be. Upgraded performance. Adopt new processor, the performance of Retroid Pocket 3...
- Everything is better with a bit more color: Retroid Pocket 3 comes with more color options: White, Black, Orange, Retro, 16 Bit, Indigo, Snow. You can choose your favorite color and which is express...
Release Date and Price
After much anticipation from the retro community, the Pocket 3 was announced on August 15th. Shipping started on August 20th. Following the incredible price points of their predecessors, people expected the Pocket 3 would cost $120-$150. However, Go Retroid settle sold the Pocket 3 base model for $119.
Compared to other Retro handheld consoles, you cannot beat the price of the Pocket 3 for its excellent performance.
The Retroid Pocket 3 is an excellent fit for most retro gamers. Not only is handheld but includes micro-HDMI cable. You can hook it up to your TV and play retro games on your TV. However, its HDMI port only supports 720p. But for 16-bit games, you will not notice a big difference between 1080p and 720p.
Retroid has made the device easily repairable. In addition, the company has made a considerable effort to avail each replaceable component on their website. We are big fans of the right-to-repair movement, and you can buy just a pack of parts individually if you have a problem makes repairability a huge plus.
Switching to specs, the Pocket 3 is pretty much identical to the Pocket 2+. They both use the Unisoc T310 processor and come stock with 2GB of RAM, but you can upgrade the Pocket 3 to 3GB of RAM for an extra $10. We highly recommend going for this upgrade. The bump in power it offers is well worth it if you are looking for it. Below we listed the full specs for the Pocket 3.
|Retroid Pocket 3|
|Processor||Quad-core Unisoc T310 CPU|
|GPU||PowerVR GE8300 @800Mhz|
|Display||4.7″ Touch Screen Display (16:9 740 x 1334 @60fps)|
|Battery||4000MAH Battery Capacity|
|HDMI Output||Yes (Micro HDMI)|
Retroid Pocket 3: Review
Anyone who’s gamed on the Retroid Pocket 3 will tell you it’s absolute joy to use. The minimal layout of the face buttons and controls is a welcome relief. Other retro handhelds seem to throw every button they can fit onto the face of the console.
Go Retroid includes extra domes for the buttons for more of a soft touch experience as well. You will have to open up the console to make the switch, but the preinstalled “clicky” buttons are also excellent.
In our opinion, the Pocket 3 is a perfect fit in most people’s hands. The 4.7inch screen might be a little small for some people but won’t get in the way of gaming. If you have large hands, the controls might feel a little cramped. With a portable device, that is hard to avoid.
- [Android Retro Game Console]: Retroid Pocket 2 Plus is an upgraded version game console of Retroid Pocket 2 which supports running Android and Retro Games. This retro gaming handheld features a Tiger...
- [Upgraded Performance]: Adopt new processor, the performance of Retroid Pocket 2 Plus is 2-3 times higher than Retroid Pocket 2. Internally installed game launcher and emulator frontend. OTA support...
- [Built-in 4000mAh Battery]: Retroid Pocket 2 Plus portable video retro game console built-in 4000mAh battery. The gaming time is more than 6 hrs after fully charged. the screen of this retro gaming...
- [Micro HDMI & WIFI Function & Bluetooth]: Enjoy your retro handheld game console on a big screen by using the Micro HDMI cable (not included). You can download your favorite emulators and run your own...
- [For Gamers on the go]: This retro console is compact, lightweight, and very easy to carry. You can jump into your favorite games wherever you happen to be. Download APK for Android and customize...
The 16:9 screen on the Pocket 3 makes emulation fun. Compared to the Pocket 2+ with a 4:3 screen, emulating PSP games or using airplay with modern consoles feels right. That said, if you want that 4:3 experience still, you can play in 4:3. The games will not fill the whole screen, and you might run into some cropping issues.
Retroid Pocket 3: Pros and Cons
- Extremely affordable
- Pocketable size
- Battery lasts up to 7 hours on one charge.
- Only available on goretroid.com
- Customs fee may apply for worldwide shipping
- Soft buttons aren’t preinstalled.
Retroid Pocket 3: Is it a Buy?
Equipped with an official game launcher and emulator frontend, the Pocket 3 is a step up from its predecessor. Is this gaming console good for everyone?
There is very little actually wrong with the Pocket 3, and if you are looking to get into handheld emulation, we highly recommend checking it out. Even with the upgraded model at $129, you cannot beat the price to the performance it offers. This will easily become a new favorite for many retro gamers out there.
Don’t Buy If…
You want to get into handheld emulation. We wouldn’t recommend going for the Pocket 3 if you already have the Pocket 2+. They have similar in specs and features. So, an upgrade is not worth the Invesment unless you are absolutely dying for that 16:9 aspect ratio.
Not to leave it on a sour note, the Pocket 3 is easily one of our favorite handheld consoles, and again for the price, you cannot really beat what you are getting. Plus, you are supporting a small company that is a massive proponent for right-to-repair and retro gamers.
- How to Buy Bitcoin on Cash App, a Step-by-Step Guide If you’re wanting to purchase Bitcoin on Cash App, take a look at our guide to make the process smooth and flawless.
- The 10 Absolute Best Metaverse Games of All Time Join us as we review the top Metaverse Games which blend Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Artificial Intelligence (AI) seamlessly.
- Just How Big Is Tesla’s Gigafactory In Berlin? The size of Tesla’s Gigafactory is rumored to be legendary. So just how big is this massive factory?