- Reddit’s diverse user base provides comprehensive and trustworthy recommendations for the best Switch games.
- Hades, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Metroid Dread are among the top 15 favorite Switch games according to Reddit users.
- Odyssey, and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom are the top 2 best Switch games according to Reddit.
Trying to determine the best Switch games to play? Look no further: we’ve scoured Reddit and assembled a list of users’ favorite titles for the beloved Nintendo console. Whether you’re a fan of action, adventure, puzzle-solving, or multiplayer fun, the Switch has a little something for everyone. No one understands this fact better than Reddit’s diverse user base. Simply sit back, grab your Joy-Cons, and get ready to explore a world of gaming excellence as we delve into our list of the best Switch games as chosen by the passionate Switch community on Reddit.
Reddit’s Best Switch Games of All Time
You can usually trust Reddit to come up with a comprehensive list of favorites. When it comes to game recommendations, Reddit has a unique advantage. By crowdsourcing opinions from a diverse group of players, you get a wide range of perspectives and experiences beyond what fans or critics have to say on their own. Perhaps no other social network in the world has such a vast community of gamers passionate about the Nintendo Switch. This collective knowledge and enthusiasm of the Reddit community mean you can trust their recommendations with your whole heart.
And yet, it’s interesting to note which games Reddit users skipped right over. Many popular Switch games didn’t make their list. For example, Animal Crossings: New Horizons is strangely absent from the ranking. Another notable omission? Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, which is the Switch-optimized version of the Wii U game of the same name. For whatever reason, Redditors didn’t include these popular titles. Nevertheless, Reddit users have nothing but high praise for the following fifteen Switch games. Did your favorite ones make the cut?
- More than 50 Game of the Year awards
- Play as Zagreus, the son of the Greek god Hades
- Features beautiful artwork of the game's colorful cast
- Engaging storyline
Hades is an action-packed Switch game where you play as Zagreus, the son of the Greek god Hades, as he tries to escape the underworld. Reddit loves Hades for its fast-paced combat, stunning visuals, and engaging storyline. If you haven’t played it yet, you definitely should. There’s a reason r/NintendoSwitch named it one of the best ever.
Hades is the kind of game that rewards you for playing and replaying. Each run-through sees you encounter unique challenges, offering you special ability upgrades and new story elements to uncover every time. There’s no doubt its addictive gameplay, beautiful artwork, and rich narrative will keep you hooked from start to finish.
14. Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Rescue Mario and friends by solving puzzles and catching ghosts
- New functions including Poltergust G-00, Slam, Suction Shot, and Burst
- Play as Gooigi, Luigi's all-green doppelganger who can help Luigi overcome difficult obstacles
- Supports up to 8 players
In Luigi’s Mansion 3, Mario’s brother Luigi embarks on a spooky adventure of his own. Here, he heads into a haunted hotel to rescue his friends from the mischievous King Boo. This charming and humorous game combines puzzle-solving, exploration, and ghost-catching gameplay to become one of the best Switch games.
Luigi’s Mansion 3 delivers clever level design, super inventive puzzles, and utterly delightful animations in one must-play package. It’s well worth playing for its whimsical setting and hugely satisfying ghost battles alone. Plus, who wouldn’t love a chance to play as Mario’s lovable green-clad companion?
13. Astral Chain
- Nintendo Switch exclusive
- Fight against mysterious, alien-like creatures as part of a special police task force
- Use a special synergetic action weapon: The Legion. The Legion functions as your partner, helping players with investigations
Astral Chain is an action-packed sci-fi game set in a futuristic city. As a member of the elite police force, you control both a human character and a captured alien creature called a Legion. Together, you fight against inter-dimensional threats and solve cases. It’s a classic Switch game and a Reddit favorite in one.
Astral Chain’s stylish visuals, fast-paced combat, and unique gameplay mechanics come together to make it a real standout title among the vast Switch library. It deserves your attention for its combination of innovative gameplay, immersive worlds, and adrenaline-pumping action. Not to mention, it’s just an all-around great idea for a game.
12. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Strategic turn-based RPG gameplay
- Choose between three houses: The Black Eagles, The Blue Lions, and The Golden Deer
- Lead students in academics and battle as a professor
- Roam the grounds and interact with others at the Garreg Mach Monastery
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a strategic role-playing game where you take on the role of a professor at a prestigious academy and guide a group of students through their education and battles. The game offers deep tactical gameplay, compelling character relationships, and a branching storyline with multiple paths.
Reddit says Fire Emblem: Three Houses is worth playing for its strategic depth, complex characters, and ability to shape the destiny of the game’s world. Of all the Fire Emblem games available on the Switch, this is definitely the one to go with. It doesn’t even matter if you’ve never played a Fire Emblem game before, because Three Houses is a great place to start.
11. Metroid Dread
- The first 2D Metroid game in nearly 20 years
- Explore the many environments of planet ZDR while you find the source of a strange transmission
- Fight research machines and deadly E.M.M.I. robots
- Learn new maneuvers and abilities such as Spider Magnet
The long-awaited continuation of the Metroid series, Metroid Dread sees players taking on the role of iconic bounty hunter Samus Aran. In the series’ first 2D action-adventure game in almost twenty years, players are tasked with navigating through labyrinthine environments, battling menacing enemies, and uncovering the secrets of the mysterious X parasite.
Fans of the Metroid franchise and first-time Metroid Dread players alike will find something to love with this game. Reddit praises its absorbing atmosphere, its open-world exploration, its intense boss fights, and the basic thrill of diving head-first into the immersive world of Metroid. It’s one of Nintendo’s longest-running franchises for a good reason.
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Delightfully unforgettable 3D platformer
- Explore Kirby's mysterious world of abandoned structures from long-gone civilizations
- Attack and explore with new abilities such as Drill and Ranger
- Inhale and transform real-world objects using the new Mouthful Mode
- Play as Bandana Waddle Dee in multiplayer mode
Don’t brush off one of Reddit’s best Switch games simply because it’s a Kirby title. Real Nintendo fans know that a good Kirby game is something worth celebrating. The first mainline Kirby title to employ full 3D graphics, the game brings a unique spin to the classic Nintendo property in ways no other entry in the series has.
You’ll really get a kick out of all the new Kirby abilities this game has to offer. From Drill to Ranger to Mouthful Mode, Kirby and the Forgotten Land takes what works about past Kirby games and kicks it into high gear. Not to mention, the graphics are absolutely beautiful. You’ll get lost in a good way as you traverse abandoned civilizations as either Kirby or Bandana Waddle Dee.
9. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
- Strategic real-time combat
- Fight an unstoppable mechanical menace with Shulk and his companions
- Use your future-seeing blade to combine attacks and defeat the Mechon once and for all
- Enhance your weapon skills and power up your party gauge to fight enemies
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is an epic role-playing game set in the vast and beautiful world of the Xenoblade franchise. Players follow the story of Shulk as he wields a powerful weapon called the Monado to save his homeland from a mechanical menace. Fifteen minutes playing this game, you’ll be calling it one of the Switch’s best, too.
Reddit praises the game for offering a captivating narrative, deep characters, and a combat system that combines real-time action with strategic decision-making. As one of the best Switch games, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition combines an immersive world with an engaging story and a grand adventure.
8. Dark Souls: Remastered
- Remastered edition of the 2011 smash hit
- Stable framerate and great performance in handheld mode
- Supports online play with a Nintendo Online subscription
- Lots of new characters
Do you like games so difficult they threaten to break your controllers in frustration? Then Reddit says Dark Souls: Remastered is the Nintendo Switch game for you. This is a challenging action role-playing game that allows players to navigate a dark and treacherous world filled with formidable enemies and deadly traps. (You should know it’s frequently dubbed the hardest game ever made.)
The game rewards patience, skill, and perseverance as you unravel its intricate level design and master its combat mechanics. Dark Souls: Remastered offers players deeply engaging gameplay in a dark and atmospheric world. Plus, there’s an unrivaled sense of accomplishment that comes from overcoming its tough challenges.
7. Persona 5 Royal
- Award-winning definitive edition of popular Persona RPG
- Filled with all the beloved characters, confidants, story elements, and locations you love
- Customize, explore, and unlock new characters and experiences
- Play as the ultimate Phantom Thief
Persona 5 Royal is a stylish and engaging role-playing game where players step into the shoes of a high school student with supernatural powers. By day, you navigate school life and build relationships with your classmates. By night, you explore a mysterious alternate reality called the Metaverse to combat corruption.
Not that kind of Metaverse, of course. The game has nothing to do with the company, Meta. Rather, this Metaverse offers a unique blend of turn-based combat, social simulation, and an intriguing narrative. All in all, Reddit says Persona 5 Royal deserves your attention for its stylish presentation, compelling characters, and captivating blend of school life and supernatural adventures.
6. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age
- Enjoy turn-based combat in a wide range of battles and activities
- Switch between HD and retro 16-bit graphics
- Definitive Edition includes bonus characters and new stories
- Build a charismatic cast of loyal Dragon Quest companions
Don’t be thrown off by that mouthful of a title. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is a classic turn-based role-playing game. It takes players on a grand and epic quest to save the world from an ancient evil. Reddit loves a good turn-based RPG and a good Dragon Quest game, so its inclusion here is practically a given.
It’s not just a game for Reddit users to enjoy, though. From its charming art style to its endearing characters and its captivating story, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age captures the essence of traditional RPGs through the unique lens of the Dragon Quest franchise. Its nostalgic appeal, combined with engaging gameplay mechanics, makes for one delightful adventure.
5. Hollow Knight
- Enjoy retro side-scrolling action with new, modern twists
- Dodge, dash, and slash with throwback 2D controls
- Travel through a wide web of interconnected worlds
- Follow paths and face enemies as you carve your own way forward
- Learn spells, gain strength, and increase speed as you make your journey
Hollow Knight is a beautifully crafted 2D platformer with a dark and mysterious atmosphere. Players explore a vast underground kingdom as a small insect knight, battling challenging enemies and uncovering the secrets of a fallen kingdom. While also available for PlayStation 4, this title remains a highlight of the Nintendo Switch library.
Reddit says Hollow Knight’s ultra-tight controls, addictively challenging gameplay, and hauntingly beautiful visuals make it a must-play for fans of the genre. The game is well worth playing for its charmingly spooky world, satisfying open-world exploration, and challenging combat combined. Overall, a solid pick to round out the top five of Reddit’s best Switch games.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
This next-gen remake of the classic Zelda game The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening is one of three entries in the Zelda franchise to make Reddit’s top five. A charming reimagining of the iconic Game Boy game, Link’s Awakening puts players in the shoes of legendary hero Link as he embarks on a mystical adventure on the mysterious Koholint Island.
Like any Zelda game, Link’s Awakening features both inventive puzzles and memorable characters. Plus, this old Game Boy game in a new Nintendo Switch body offers a delightful retro art style. Generally speaking, Link’s Awakening is worth playing for its nostalgic appeal, captivating storyline, and the joy of experiencing a beloved classic in a new light.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Choose your own paths, make your own choices, and face your own consequences
- Discover multiple solutions to dozens of dynamic puzzles
- Search for surprises around every corner
- Collect armor, weapons, plants, animals, and more
- Live off the land as you cook food and brew elixirs
- Utilize special technology with in-game Sheikah Slate controls
It’s not surprising Reddit named The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild one of the best Switch games ever. This open-world action-adventure game single-handedly redefined the beloved Legend of Zelda series in one fell swoop. (If you like this one, then be on the lookout for its sequel later on down the list.)
Set in the sprawling and immersive world of Hyrule, players embark on a quest to defeat an ancient evil threatening a once-peaceful kingdom. With its breathtaking visuals, dynamic physics-based gameplay, and sense of exploration, Breath of the Wild offers a truly remarkable gaming experience unlike any other on the Switch.
2. Super Mario Odyssey
- Nintendo Switch
- Standard or Starter Pack available
- Explore 3D kingdoms with different ways to interact with your environments
- Mario's new friend, Cappy, brings some new tricks
- Multiplayer compatibility
No, Reddit’s number two slot is not another Zelda game. Instead, their second-best placement is a Mario game. Super Mario Odyssey, to be specific. This Switch exclusive is a delightful and imaginative platforming adventure that follows Mario as he travels across various worlds in pursuit of Bowser, who has once again kidnapped Princess Peach.
With its inventive level design, clever gameplay mechanics, and charming characters, Super Mario Odyssey is a must-play for any fan of the Nintendo Switch or the Mario franchise. Reddit users can’t get enough of its joyful gameplay, creative worlds, and the nostalgic feelings it evokes for long-time Mario and Nintendo fans alike.
1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Use new abilities to fuse, ascend, recall, and more
- Explore Hyrule from three different locations: the sky, the ground, and the depths
- Search for Zelda and unlock memories to find her safe and sound
- Fight enemies, cook food, brew elixirs, wield weapons, and more
The number one best Switch game according to Reddit also happens to be the most recent on the list. Released earlier in 2023, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom takes what’s great about Breath of the Wild and literally elevates it. Players take to the skies above Hyrule and plunge into the Depths below while navigating the solid ground they remember from the first game.
With new abilities, new enemies, and new storylines to explore, Tears of the Kingdom is Reddit’s favorite Switch game by a significant margin. It goes beyond Reddit, too. Upon its release, critics and fans alike were naming Tears of the Kingdom one of the best Nintendo games ever. This game’s so great, it transcends the console alone.
|#1||The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom|
|#2||Super Mario Odyssey|
|#3||The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild|
|#4||The Legend of Zelda: Linkâs Awakening|
|#6||Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age|
|#7||Persona 5 Royal|
|#8||Dark Souls: Remastered|
|#9||Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition|
|#10||Kirby and the Forgotten Land|
|#12||Fire Emblem: Three Houses|
|#14||Luigiâs Mansion 3|
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Niphon Subsri/Shutterstock.com.