October is here! That means a new round of free games for Playstation Plus members. This month has a pretty diverse array of games; from racing to fighting to experimental, there is something for everyone. These games are available to all PS Plus users, from essential to premium. For Extra and Premium members, specifically, there are quite a few games being added to the games library this month as well.
We have a lot of ground to cover, so let’s get right into it.
PlayStation Plus Free Games
The three free games this month are Hot Wheels: Unleashed, DC-themed fighting game Injustice 2, and breakout indie hit Superhot.
#1: Hot Wheels: Unleashed (PS4, PS5)
- Drifting - Drift like crazy to charge your Boost
- Boosting - Use your Boost to Blast through loops
- Gravity - gravity will affect races, be fast or fall!
First up is the Hot Wheels-themed racing game Hot Wheels: Unleashed. Developer Milestone is known for its Dirt Bike stunt racer series. This background made them well suited to upgrade this game in a way the series sorely needed.
Hot Wheels: Unleashed is a super fun arcade racing game with tons of stunts, stunning graphics and incredibly realized environments. What’s more, the cars are rendered at the same size as their real-life counterparts. This means players are speeding through tracks with giant stereo systems and other toys scattered in the background. The size component adds to the charm of the game.
Interesting tracks like a skate park and a college campus do a lot to sell the fun of these mini racers. And the graphics are eye-meltingly good. There are classic Hot Wheels modeled off real-life vehicles, as well as their lineup of more whimsical rides.
The campaign is fun and never grows stale. There is also a track builder mode for those who want to relive the childhood joys of building wild tracks with little to no bearing on real racing. For fans of arcade racers, this is a premium pickup.
#2: Injustice 2 (PS4)
- All downloadable content characters: Includes 10 additional characters and 5 Premiere Skins - including Hellboy and TMNT.
- Every battle defines you: With every match you'll earn gear to equip, customize and evolve your roster.
- A new threat rises: Picking up where injustice left off, batman struggles against superman's regime, as a new threat appears that will put earth's very existence at risk.
- The best of DC: Choose from the biggest DC universe roster ever and battle across iconic locations in epic scale battles.
- Built by Netherrealm: Developers of the best-selling and critically acclaimed mortal kombat franchise.
The DC fighting game is the next game on offer from PlayStation Plus. Injustice 2 was developed by NetherRealm Studio and released in 2017. The game looks incredible even now and it is packed with tons of characters, a rich storyline, and inventive game modes.
Following the previous game, Superman is sitting in super jail for his crimes in the first game. Brainiac is on the loose and preparing to wreak havoc on the universe, prompting some of Superman’s old allies to stage a jailbreak. However, since the game portrays him as a bit of a jerk, fans will relish the opportunity to bash his face in.
Pretty much everything about the game is a marked improvement from the first one, which was great in its own right. The fighting system is endlessly entertaining and the story is better than it has any right to be. If you’re a DC fan and love fighting games, you cannot miss this one.
#3: Superhot (PS4, PS5)
- Blurring the lines between cautious strategy and unbridled mayhem, SUPERHOT VR is the definitive VR FPS in which time moves only when you move. No regenerating health bars. No conveniently placed ammo drops. It's just you, outnumbered and outgunned, grabbing the weapons of fallen enemies to shoot, slice, and maneuver through a hurricane of slow-motion bullets
- Decisive winner of dozens of VR Game of the Year awards, SUPERHOT VR is a title reimagined and redesigned from the ground up for VR and hand tracking controllers. The fruit of over three years of focused trailblazing, SUPERHOT VR brings the visceral action of SUPERHOT directly into your head and soul. And now also - directly into your PSVR
- This title requires Move Controllers
The last game for October is indie FPS Superhot, developed by the Superhot Team. It’s basically a Keanu Reeves simulator, putting you in the shoes of a skilled and deadly warrior with bullet-time reflexes. Time moves at a crawl while you stand still, but speeds up once you move—this gives players time to assess the scene and plan their moves. You’ll be faced with hoards of polygonal enemies wielding guns, knives, throwing stars; you name it.
The game was extremely well received when it was originally released. That’s because its inventive first-person fighting system and slick-level design make it an incredible experience for players. The version offered by PS Plus is, sadly, not VR-supported. The VR version is widely considered the truest way to play the game. Still, with or without the VR headset, Superhot is super fun.
PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium
- Deathloop (PS5)
- Assassin’s Creed Origins (PS4)
- Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (PS4)
- Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition (PS4)
- Chicory: A Colorful Tale (PS4)
- Monster Energy Supercross – The Official Game (PS4, PS5)
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (PS4, PS5)
- Rabbids Invasion: The Interactive TV Show (PS4)
- Rayman Legends (PS4)
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game – Complete Edition
Be sure to stay tuned here for next month’s lineup of PlayStation Plus games.
Last update on 2022-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API