- The HX90G is the latest compact gaming PC from the company.
- The HX90G launched earlier in 2022 at varying prices.
- The HX90G is loaded with all the ports and connectivity you need.
Large and oversized PCs have always dominated the PC gaming world. As PC manufacturers strive to make the most miniature computer possible, they often sacrifice power and upgradeability. However, MINISFORUM, a German company, has created a very powerful computer that packs plenty of performant hardware in a compact case.
The HX90G is the latest compact gaming PC from the company. Designed to blend the performance advantages of a gaming desktop with the space-saving benefits of a small-form-factor PC, the HX90G is a compact powerhouse. But how does this PC stand up to the competition? And does the HX90G’s small footprint have any disadvantages?
In today’s article, that’s exactly what we’re going to find out, with a full review, features, specs, and pricing information.
HX90G: Best Deal Today
- 【AMD Rzyen 9 5900HX Processor】All the power and optimization of AMD. 8 Cores based on the upgraded AMD "Zen 3" Core Architecture/12 Threads with speeds up to 4.60 GHz. 16MB of L3 cache.
- 【Mini Gaming PC】First Mini PC with AMD Radeon RX 6600M,a mobile graphics card based on the RDNA 2 architecture manufactured in the modern 7nm process. It features 1,792 cores and 8 GB of fast...
- 【Upgradeable RAM/SSD memory】HX90G Mini PC is equipped with an 512GB PCIe SSD and 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM memory in Dual Channel. Feel free to upgrade it with another NGFF SATA or NVMe PCIe SSD disks...
- 【Dual Fan Cooling】Built-in dual fans + 7 heat pipes ( 3 for CPU and 4 for GPU) + liquid metal + dual air outlets, efficiently for heat dissipation , maintaining lower noise, and maximizing the...
- 【Multiple connections】Possibility to connect 4 monitors with [email protected] HDMI and DisplayPort connectivity simultaneously.HX90G contains carbon fiber material, light and strong, four USB Type-A ports...
Release Date and Price
The HX90G launched earlier in 2022 at varying prices, depending on your configuration. As a barebones system devoid of any RAM or storage, you can score the HX90G for just $809. However, if you want to outfit your system so it is ready to go, you’ll pay between $919 and $1049, depending on your selected configuration.
While the HX90G is only offered as a standalone model, MINISFORUM offers additional models to cater to your needs. If you prefer an Intel-based system, you can opt for the NUCXi5 or NUCXi7, two competing compact desktops with similar hardware and price range to the HX90G.
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX : Powered by the latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Processor(8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16M Cache, up to 4.60GHz), Radeon RX Vega 8 integrated graphics(up to 2100 MHz). 8 cores and 16 threads to...
- RAM & Storage: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz dual channel RAM(upgradable to 64 GB), 512GB M.2 2280 PCle 3.0 SSD, performed multiple tasks with faster response speed and multi-threaded sensitive response. 2.5 inch...
- Video Outputs & Liquid Metal Boosts Cooling: With four video output interfaces—HDMI ([email protected]) x2, and DisplayPort([email protected])x2. You can drive four independent 4K 60Hz displays for extreme...
- Strong Connectition: 1 x RJ45 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Port, 5 x USB 3.0 Ports(Gen1) , 1 x USB-C Port, 1 x Clear CMOS , 2 x HDMI Ports, 2 x Display Ports, 2 x MIC, 2 x LINE OUT. WiFi 6, BT 5.1. Enough to...
- Package & Other Functions: 1x HX90 Mini PC, 1x Mounting Bracket, 1x HDMI Cable, 1x Power Adapter, 1x Instruction Manual. Functions: RTC wake up / Wake on Lan / Auto Power on / Network boot.24/7...
For those on a stricter budget, the company also offers the EliteMini HX90 and B550, each with modest specs for entry-level performance.
The HX90G is loaded with all the ports and connectivity you need. You’ll find everything that you would expect on a standard gaming desktop, as well as a few built-in extras. Even with its small size, this system still offers plenty of options for connecting all of your peripherals.
Looking at the front panel, we can see a USB 3.1 port, perfect for connecting an external hard drive or thumb drive. You also get a headphone, microphone, and USB Type-C port for connecting headsets and audio peripherals. Flipping the HX90G to the back, we can see another three USB 3.2 ports, perfect for hooking up keyboards, gaming mice, or other accessories.
You also get two HDMI ports and two DisplayPort connectors. This configuration lets you connect up to four gaming monitors, running at up to 4K resolution and 60Hz refresh rates each. All of that extra screen real estate can be handy if you create content, edit videos, or design graphics on your PC.
Gamers and streamers will appreciate the solid WiFi 6 connection, but the built-in 2.5 Gigabit ethernet port provides an additional layer of stability. Depending on your preference, you can use wired or wireless internet, or a combination of both. Additionally, built-in BlueTooth lets you pair wireless devices like headsets and speakers.
|Processor||AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX|
|Base Clock Speed||3.300GHz|
|Boost Clock Speed||4.60GHz|
|Graphics||AMD Radeon RX 6600M|
|Graphics Memory||8GB GDDR6|
|RAM Capacity||32GB (64GB Max)|
|Storage Capacity||512GB (expandable)|
|Storage Type||NVME M.2 SSD|
|Weight||3.12 pounds or 1.4kg|
|Operating System||Windows 11 Pro|
While PCs have been getting smaller in recent years, the trend for smaller gaming PCs has never seen anything quite like the HX90G. As one of the most compact gaming PCs ever made, this system offers a unique blend of design and performance.
Taking a closer look at this system will help us understand what makes it unique.
While MINISFORUM has historically preferred to use Intel processors, the company is also branching out to the AMD Ryzen platform. With AMD’s latest Ryzen 9 processor, HX90G is aimed at hardcore AMD fans.
- The world's best gaming desktop processor, with 12 cores and 24 processing threads
- Can deliver elite 100-plus FPS performance in the world's most popular games
- Cooler not included, high-performance cooler recommended. Max Temperature- 90°C
- 4.8 GHz Max Boost, unlocked for overclocking, 70 MB of cache, DDR-3200 support
- For the advanced Socket AM4 platform, can support PCIe 4.0 on X570 and B550 motherboards
Packed inside the HX90G is the latest AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, an enthusiast-grade processor designed for gaming, streaming, and editing videos. Based on the new Zen 3 architecture, this CPU design offers direct access to the L3 cache, meaning applications and games have direct access, delivering more instructions per clock.
With a base clock speed of 3.30GHz, the Ryzen 9 5900X takes full advantage of its 8 cores and 16 threads to offer solid performance. The boost clock speed can reach up to 4.60GHz when called on, making this the perfect processor for discerning gamers.
The graphics performance is one of the most impressive aspects of the HX90G. While it does not compare to a desktop RTX 3080 or 3080-Ti, the AMD Radeon RX 6600M graphics card is sufficient enough for 1080p gaming, video editing work, and graphic design. With 8GB of GDDR6 graphics memory, you have plenty of resources to run the latest games.
This GPU comes with all of the latest features found on AMD’s best graphics cards. AMD Anti-Lag reduces latency and allows you to achieve better response times. Additionally, features like Radeon Boost and VRS support mean you can use variable rate shading hardware to increase responsiveness without affecting visual quality.
Thanks to AMD’s rDNA 2 architecture, you can expect excellent refresh rates and performance despite the GPU’s small footprint. With full support for DirectX 12 Ultimate, you can run any game on the market, although more demanding titles might run better on lower settings. If you don’t mind gaming in 1080p, the HX90G offers a very satisfactory experience.
No other computer claims the title of miniature gaming PC quite like the HX90G. The small scale of this PC’s case is even more surprising after you’ve learned about the specs packed inside it. While small form factor desktop computers have been around for a while, MINISFORUM has set a new standard for compact computing.
But small size is not the only defining element of this case. Despite its small scale, this case design packs a massive punch. The carbon fiber material is fitted into every component, from the grille and side corners to the stand. The HX90G stands at attention, with each side flanked in carbon fiber-reinforced plastic and the MINISFORUM logo emblazoned across carbon fiber “armor” shrouds.
The genius design continues inside the HX90G. With seven heat pipes–three for the CPU and four for the GPU—heat can dissipate effectively from core components through the dual fan exhaust system. The result is a surprisingly quiet cooling system.
Fan noise is barely audible, even when kicked into high gear. The only catch is that airflow is crucial. You don’t want to block the sides of this PC, as it won’t be able to draw sufficient air to stay cool.
Weight is kept to a minimum thanks to the compact design. At only 1.4 kg, or just over three pounds, the HX90G is lighter than most gaming laptops. Additionally, with the same footprint as a Mac Mini, you can fit this computer on even the most crowded desk.
The HX90G is designed to be as upgradeable as possible. With such a small case, that is no small feat. MINISFORUM has crafted the most maintenance-friendly miniature PC on the market. Every aspect of the system is replaceable and serviceable, with each component able to be accessed with a screwdriver and a few minutes’ time. If you enjoy working on your own computer or building PCs, you’ll love the HX90G’s clever design.
After sliding off the case, you’ll have quick access to all of your internal parts. The first thing most users want to upgrade is the RAM. Fortunately, RAM is easily upgradeable, with two SO-DIMM memory slots located on the motherboard. Each slot can hold a 32GB module of 3200MHz DDR4 memory.
Running out of storage space can be a considerable inconvenience. Luckily, you can upgrade your HX90G with minimal hassle. After opening the case, you’ll see two M.2 slots for solid-state storage.
If you bought the barebones system, you’d need to add your own drive and install an operating system. If you bought a system with an OS already loaded, you must fill in the remaining slot with a second SSD.
Compact PCs like the HX90G always have an advantage over full-size gaming desktops regarding power consumption. While idling, expect this PC to consume between 17 and 20 watts.
Average usage, like web browsing and watching movies, will bump the system up to 75 to 90 watts. The maximum load will consume the most power, with total strain putting system power usage up to 260 watts.
Power is divided primarily between the CPU and GPU. While the processor is rated at a TDP of just 45 watts, the AMD Radeon 6600M graphics chip is rated at 100. As you might expect, most of the system’s power consumption will be when gaming, as the GPU will be called into action more often.
When not gaming, you can expect better energy efficiency. As an office or media computer, this system consumes much less power.
HX90G: Pros and Cons
The HX90G has shown itself to be a highly capable compact gaming desktop, but it might not be for everybody.
- Highly compact
- Durably built frame
- Upgradeable RAM and SSD
- Great performance
- Limited hardware
- Can’t upgrade GPU and CPU
HX90G: Is It a Buy?
The HX90G takes compact computing to the next level, with gaming performance on par with full-size desktops and connectivity options to match the best of them. Upgradeable RAM and SSD are a welcome sight, especially in a gaming desktop, but the system is held back by a lack of upgradeable GPU and CPU.
Buy it if…
You want an ultra-compact and lightweight gaming computer. The HX90G is powerful enough to be a competitive upgrade, especially if you are moving away from older hardware. The AMD Ryzen platform, although not upgradeable, provides a solid foundation for future software compatibility, and makes a great future-proof choice for a gaming PC.
The AMD Radeon RX 6600M graphics is more than enough to play the latest games at 1080p resolution, with older games able to clock even higher resolutions and frame rates. Even newer, more demanding titles can be played, albeit at lower graphics settings.
Anyone who likes having multiple monitors without requiring a massive, bulky desktop will love the HX90G. While quad-monitor GPUs are often reserved for massive desktop workstations, this system changes the game and offers something new and efficient.
Don’t buy it if…
You want something highly upgradeable and expansive. If you want a large desktop with multiple drive bays, a liquid cooling system, and a full-size desktop GPU, you will have to look elsewhere. The HX90G offers an entirely different experience. You won’t be able to enjoy all of the luxuries of a full-size desktop, but you still get reasonably competitive performance.
You also shouldn’t buy it if you only want a basic computer to use around the house. The HX90G’s price tag is competitive for a gaming desktop, but it doesn’t make sense to overpay if you aren’t using its more advanced hardware.
If you want a compact desktop to use as a media center PC, there are better options from the same brand, such as the HX90 and B550.
Take a glance at some of this interesting content:
- AMOLED vs OLED: Full Comparison
- HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision: How Do They Compare?
- Best Linux Distro for MacBook Pro in 2022