OPenAI’s ChatGPT has been trending in recent months. An artificially intelligent chatbot, ChatGPT is one of the most powerful AI tools of its kind. The AI tool can provide detailed answers and articulate responses in a wide range of topics. Better yet, the chatbot is completely free to use (so long as you create an account). Here’s how to use ChatGPT, step by step, with images to guide you along the way.
How To Use ChatGPT
Using ChatGPT may seem challenging, but it’s not. You need to know your way around their website to make the most of it. The process is as simple as signing up, logging in, and initiating a conversation. After that, we’ll go over some basic prompts to help you utilize ChatGPT in your work.
Step One: Choose Log In Or Sign Up
Start by logging in or signing up for an account to use ChatGPT. You need a user account to use ChatGPT. New to the site? Here’s where you’ll sign up for an account. A returning guest? Log into your existing account. Either way, you can’t skip this step.
Step Two: Enter Sign-In Details
Next, enter your account details and click continue. If ChatGPT isn’t too overwhelmed with requests, you’ll be able to enter the site. If the tool has numerous requests from users, you may have to wait or try later.
Step Three: Send A Message Or Choose A Prompt
Once you log in, you’ll be taken right to the ChatGPT home page. Here, you’ll see a list of examples, capabilities, and limitations. You will see a text box at the bottom and the option to start a new conversation at the top left of the page. Either option lets you initiate a chat with ChatGPT. You may also choose a prompt from the list of examples provided.
Step Four: Continue Chatting
Lastly, you’re free to continue your conversation as you see fit. In basic terms, this is essentially how to use ChatGPT. You may either continue chatting or start a new conversation once more using the button in the top lefthand corner. Feel free to come up with your own prompts and inquiries or use some of the sample prompts provided. Either way, happy chatting!
Now that you know how to use the OpenAI chatbot, you may want to test out its capabilities using prompts. It’s worth reiterating the disclaimer on OpenAI’s home page. ChatGPT can provide answers to prompts limited exclusively to information from 2021 or before. Though the tool provides some examples on its home page, these ChatGPT prompts will prove much more useful or entertaining.
- If you’re a coder, you may ask ChatGPT: “Identify any security flaws in the following code snippet.” Then, paste the code you’d like ChatGPT to analyze.
- If you’re an aspiring guitarist, you could ask ChatGPT: “Give me a simple guitar chord progression for a beginner to learn the basics of the instrument.”
- If you’re applying for jobs, you could request ChatGPT to draft a cover letter based on the particular job description. Say, “Create a convincing and earnest cover letter for me based on the following description.” Then, paste the job description.
- If you’d simply like to joke around with ChatGPT, you could ask it to tell you a joke on a particular subject or person. You could even ask ChatGPT to assume the style of a famous stand-up. For example: “Tell me some jokes about artificial intelligence in the style of Jerry Seinfeld.”
- If you’re a history buff, ask ChatGPT to tell you more about a particular time or event in the past. (Remember, it’s limited to 2021 or earlier.) Here’s an example: “Tell me five of the most significant events leading up to the Battle of Midway.”
Here is a step-by-step video to set up an account on ChatGPT along with how to enter in prompts:
The image featured at the top of this post is ©NMStudio789/Shutterstock.com.