What is an iMessage?
An iMessage is a type of text message that can be sent over the internet to another Apple user. This means that iMessages can be sent to any Apple device user with an internet connection, regardless of their location. They appear in blue text bubbles, as opposed to the green text bubbles of regular SMS messages. iMessages can include things like images, videos, and other types of media. You can also use iMessage to send stickers, Animoji, and Memoji.
How to Unsend an iMessage on iPhone
It’s easy to unsend an iMessage in the messages app. Here’s how:
- Open the Messages app and find the conversation containing the message you want to unsend.
- Tap and hold the message until a menu appears. Tap Undo Send in the pop-up menu. Once you do this, the message will be unsent and removed from the conversation.
Learn the lifesaving trick to edit or unsend messages in a snap! Check out this video guide for a step-by-step tutorial on how to rescue your conversations from those awkward moments.
How to Unsend iMessage: 6 Must-Know Facts
- Once you unsend a message, it’s removed from the conversation and can’t be recovered by either party.
- You can only unsend an iMessage within 2 minutes of sending it.
- To unsend an iMessage, simply long-press on the message and select the Undo Send option.
- Unsending an iMessage does not guarantee that the recipient will never see the message, as they may have already seen it before you unsent it.
- If you unsend an iMessage, the recipient will be notified that the message was unsent.
- The “Unsend” feature is only available on iOS 16.
Benefits of Unsending an iMessage
The benefits of unsending an iMessage are numerous. Let’s discuss four of them!
You can easily delete a message you sent to the wrong person.
Sending a message to the wrong person is easy to do, especially if you have a large contact list. If you realize that you’ve sent a message to someone who shouldn’t see it, unsending the message can help you save face in this situation. It can help prevent any confusion or misunderstanding.
You can delete a typo.
If you sent an iMessage that contains a typo, you can unsend the message and correct the error. This is a great way to avoid embarrassing yourself or sending a message that doesn’t make sense.
You can take back a rude comment.
We all say things we don’t mean sometimes. Luckily, with iMessage, you can unsend a message within 2 minutes of sending it. This is a great feature if you want to avoid any awkwardness after sending a rude message.
You can delete a sensitive message.
If you accidentally send a message with sensitive information (like a credit card number or password), unsending it can help prevent that information from getting into the wrong hands. Unsending a message will delete the message from your device as well as the recipient’s device. This is a great way to prevent sensitive information from being seen by others.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©DenPhotos/Shutterstock.com.