Apple launched the first generation of AirPods in 2016 with the release of the iPhone 7. Now, Apple’s wireless earphones are one of the most popular products on the market and have become a staple for many music lovers. These devices are a great accessory for any Apple device because of their sleek design and convenience.
Unfortunately, AirPods are prone to several performance issues, such as poor audio quality and low volume. Some of these issues are mechanical, while others are related to the setup process and software. There are several solutions to make AirPods louder, and in this guide, we’ll explore the best methods to improve your AirPods audio quality.
8 Methods to Make Your AirPods Louder
Sometimes the issue with your AirPods isn’t technical — it’s simply that you need to turn up the volume. The quickest way to increase the volume of your AirPods is by using the hardware volume buttons found on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
AirPods also have a volume control that you can use to adjust the sound level. To change the volume, place your index finger on the stem of the AirPods where the touch-sensitive control is. Swipe up to increase the volume and down to decrease it.
You can also use Siri to control your AirPods volume settings. Just say, “Hey Siri, increase the volume,” or “Hey Siri, turn up the volume,” and she’ll do it for you. However, if these methods don’t work for you, more technical solutions may help you make your AirPods louder.
Here are some of the most effective ways to do it:
Restart Your iPhone
The good old “turn it off and on again” method also applies to AirPods. Restarting your iPhone can help reset the connection between your device and your AirPods and it might help fix any audio-related issues.
- To restart an iPhone, press and hold the Power button until the slider to power it off appears.
- Slide it to the right and wait for your phone to shut down. Once it’s off, press and hold the Power button to turn it back on.
This process might take a few minutes, so be patient. When your phone restarts, reconnect your AirPods and check the audio quality.
Run the Ear Tip Fit Test for Your AirPods Pro
The ear tip fit test is an automated process that helps you fix any audio-related issues with your AirPods Pro. This feature assesses the fit and seal of your ear tips and adjusts sound levels accordingly. If sound isolation is inadequate, this feature will recommend changing the ear tips for a better seal.
The best fit for your ears will provide the best sound quality and louder audio. You won’t have much outside noise and the sound will be more immersive.
- To access the Ear Tip Fit Test for your AirPods Pro, open the Settings menu and tap on Bluetooth.
- Select your AirPods from the list and tap on the Ear Tip Fit Test option.
- Proceed with “continue” and put on your AirPods.
A successful fit test will play a tone in each of your AirPods to track how much sound leaks out. The sound should be barely audible outside your ears with a proper seal.
Clean the Apple AirPods
AirPods push sound through tiny holes located on the outside of their surface. Dirt, dust, sweat, earwax, and other debris can accumulate and block these openings, reducing sound quality. While it may sound gross, cleaning your AirPods regularly can help improve sound quality and make them louder.
To clean your Apple AirPods, you’ll need a cotton swab, tissue paper, and some isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. The process is a little delicate, so be careful not to damage your AirPods.
- Take a damp cotton swab and wipe off any visible dirt outside your AirPods. Ensure to avoid getting any liquid inside the speaker holes.
- Next, dip the cotton swab in some isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and use it to clean the speaker holes.
- Remember to clean other parts of the AirPods, including the holding case.
Isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide break down earwax, so they’re much more effective than water.
Update Device Software
Some audio problems are due to firmware issues, so updating your device software may help make your AirPods louder. Check for any available updates in the Settings menu and install them as soon as possible.
- To update your iPhone, open the Settings app and select General.
- Tap on “Software Update” and wait until the system checks for new versions of iOS. If there’s an update available, select “download and install” to apply it.
- You should also check if the AirPods firmware is up to date. To do this, open Settings, then About, and scroll down to AirPods.
- If the AirPods firmware is not the latest version, place the AirPods in the case and connect them to the charging cable.
- Pair them with your device and wait until the update is complete. Ensure you have an active internet connection so the update will download and install.
Reset Bluetooth Connection
AirPods use Bluetooth to connect to different devices, including iPhones, Androids, and Macs. Despite being a relatively robust technology, Bluetooth can still experience several issues. For instance, radio interference caused by other wireless devices can disrupt the connection between your AirPods and your device.
It’s also possible to experience audio lag, which causes a delay between the sound and what’s happening on your device. Solid objects like walls can also affect the connection between your phone and AirPods.
If you are experiencing any of these problems, try resetting the Bluetooth connection using these steps:
- Connect your AirPods and play some music, then lower the volume to zero with the music playing. Open Bluetooth in the settings and tap to disconnect.
- The music stops playing automatically, so you’ll have to play it again with the volume down to zero.
- Reconnect your AirPods and increase the volume to the desired level. If Bluetooth connectivity was the issue, you’ll notice an immediate improvement.
Check the Music App Sound Settings
Music apps have different sound settings from the device’s sound settings. Depending on the app, you may be able to customize equalizer settings, bass levels, and other audio-related features. For instance, Apple Music has an EQ setting that you can customize to make your music louder or to fit your taste.
Other apps like Spotify, Amazon Music, and YouTube Music offer unique sound settings. The process varies from one app to another, so you’ll need to check their help sections for more details.
- For Apple Music, go to the settings section and click “EQ” to customize sound settings.
- With the right sound settings and a good fit, your AirPods should be louder and provide better audio quality.
Remember that trying different settings is important, as what works for one person may not necessarily work for another.
Reset the AirPods
Resetting the AirPods helps to restore all settings, clear cache files, and reconnect your AirPods with the device. If the cause of the low volume is a faulty connection, resetting the AirPods will usually resolve the issue. The process takes your AirPods back to the factory configurations they came with.
- The first step is to put your AirPods in the charging case and then close the lid for about 30 seconds.
- Open the lid and wear your AirPods while connected to your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Go to the settings tab on your phone and head to Bluetooth, then tap “i” next to your AirPods name.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select “Forget this device.” This step will disconnect your AirPods from your device.
- Finally, press and hold the setup button at the back of the case until you see an amber light. Open the lid, and a setup menu will appear on your device. Follow the instructions to complete the reset process.
Check out this informative video that reveals easy tricks and settings to make your AirPods louder. Whether you’re jamming to music or catching up on podcasts, these tips will ensure you get the most out of your AirPods’ sound quality. Don’t miss it!
Charge the AirPods
We often forget that the more we use our AirPods, the more battery life they consume. Low battery charge affects the sound quality of your AirPods. One of the signs that your AirPods need a charge is when you experience low volume on one or both earpieces.
Charging your AirPods to full capacity can help increase their volume. A single charge of your AirPods will provide up to 5 hours of listening time, so make sure you charge them regularly. If the issue persists, you may need to replace your AirPods.
Understanding how to make AirPods louder can make a world of difference for those who want to experience their music or podcasts at their fullest potential. With the help of this guide, you know how to adjust the audio settings on your device, as well as use equalizers and apps to get the most out of your AirPods. Plus, if you’re experiencing low volume, you know some troubleshooting steps to take to get them back to maximum volume.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Masarik/Shutterstock.com.