- A welcome channel on Discord is important for creating a positive user experience and providing guidelines for new members.
- It serves as a place for members to welcome new users and for server owners to post rules or guidelines.
- To create a welcome channel on Discord from a PC, you need to add a new channel, set it up, and move it to the top of the channel list.
- To create a welcome channel on Discord from smartphones, you need to create and name the channel, reorder your channels, and adjust the channel settings.
If you’re wondering how to make a welcome channel on Discord, it couldn’t be easier. It’s often overlooked when people set up a new server, but it is an important part of the user experience. In this guide, we will tell you why everyone should make a welcome channel on Discord and walk you through the steps of setting one up.
What Is a Discord Welcome Channel?
If you’re new to Discord, you may not be familiar with the concept of a welcome channel. It’s not something they mention when you’re setting up a server for the first time. It’s incredibly important, however, unless you want your server like the Wild West with no rules or direction.
A welcome channel serves multiple purposes on Discord. It gives members a place to welcome new users who join their server. It also provides server owners an area to post rules or guidelines new members should follow. You don’t have to set up a welcome channel on Discord, but it’s highly advised if you plan to operate a public server or allow members to use the invitation system.
How to Make a Welcome Channel on Discord From a PC
This process covers setting up a welcome channel on Discord from a PC using the official PC app. If you use the web version of Discord, the same steps will work, although our screenshots may appear different from what you see on your screen.
1. Add a New Channel
With Discord open, go to your server and click on the plus symbol next to the section marked Text Channels. Choose Create Channel from the pop-up menu that appears.
2. Creating the Channel
From the new window, choose Text Channel, and then you’ll need to set a channel name. Type “welcome channel” into the box and click Create Channel to proceed.
3. Move the Channel
Look on the left side of the screen and locate your welcome channel in the Text Channels list. Click and hold on the channel, then drag it to the top of the channel list on your server.
4. Set Up Your Channel
After you move the channel to the top of the list, you can use the settings menu to go into the channel and make adjustments. You can set a topic and make other changes for members using the channel.
How to Make a Welcome Channel on Discord From Smartphones
1. Create and Name the Channel
On your smartphone or tablet, open the Discord app and go to your server. Under Text Channels, tap on the plus symbol, and a new window will appear. Set the channel’s name, and make sure it’s set to text and public — not private.
2. Server Settings
Unless invited to a specific channel, new users are sent to the top channel on your server list. To move the channel, go to your server settings menu by tapping on the three-dot icon and choose Settings. From here, choose Channels to open the next menu.
3. Reorder Your Channels
You’ll need to move your welcome channel to the top of the list by tapping the Reorder icon in the top right. Choose Text Channels from the new menu, and then tap/hold to drag the channel to the top of the list.
4. Adjust the Channel Settings
If you want to change the settings for your new channel, tap on the channel, choose the people symbol, and then select Settings. This menu allows you to adjust channel permissions, set a cooldown timer, age restriction, and more.
You can set up a welcome channel for Discord users in under a minute, but the impact is everlasting. Just remember to follow these four easy steps:
- Add a new channel by going to your server and clicking on the plus symbol.
- Create the channel by choosing Text Channel, typing in “welcome channel,” and clicking Create Channel to proceed.
- Move the channel to the top of the channel list on your server.
- Set up the channel using the settings menu to go in and make adjustments.
A welcome page is the first glimpse a new user has of the world they are entering online. It’s a great place to welcome them with a friendly emoji and it also allows you to set rules or guidelines for members to follow.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Ink Drop/Shutterstock.com.