In the digital age, protecting our personal information and our devices has become more and more essential.
Aside from the basics like your addresses, phone numbers, and passwords, many of us would like to protect the images on our phones from prying eyes. After all, you never know if your phone is going to end up in the wrong hands.
Luckily, you have a few reliable options when it comes to keeping your photos private. Continue reading to find out how to hide photos on Android easily and quickly.
How to Hide Photos on Android Using Google Photos
One of the simplest ways to hide your photos is by using Google Photos.
Follow along with us for the steps to do this.
Step 1: Open Google Photos
Open the Google Photos app, and you’ll be brought to the home screen where you can see all the images from your gallery.
Step 2: Go to Utilities
Next, tap the Library tab along the bottom to open this menu, and then tap Utilities at the top right.
Step 3: Open the Locked Folder Wizard
Now, you want to scroll down slightly and tap Get started under the Locked Folder tab.
Step 4: Set up Your Locked Folder
Screenshots of this section aren’t allowed for privacy reasons, but it’s quite an easy process. Simply follow the prompt and enter the passcode or PIN for your phone to enable the locked folder function.
Step 5: Add Desired Photos to Locked Folder
Finally, you can tap and hold to select your desired photos from the Google Photos homepage, and then tap Move to Locked Folder in the menu at the bottom. Now, these photos will be protected in this folder behind your PIN.
How to Hide Photos on Android Using a Third-Party App
If you don’t want to use Google Photos, you can download a third-party app instead to store your photos securely. There are many options for this in the Play Store, but popular ones include Vaulty and LockMyPix. These allow you to lock your photos behind a PIN and password, as well as voice or facial recognition for that added layer of security. Backup to the cloud is also included, which is handy to have if you’re worried about losing your photos.
Why Would I Want to Hide My Photos?
Hiding your photos can be useful for several reasons:
- For privacy purposes: Some of our photos can be sensitive, and we only want specific people to be aware of them. Particularly, if you share your device with others, it can be useful to hide certain photos you don’t want other people to see.
- In case of theft: In the unfortunate situation you have your device stolen, protecting valuable images can help prevent the photos from being accessed, helping to protect your privacy.
- If you’re a parent: When you share your device with your children, or they have their own phone, you may have content on there that would be inappropriate for them to see. In this case, making your photos hidden can avoid them from seeing these photos.
What are the Drawbacks of Hiding My Photos?
All in all, hiding your photos is a very useful tactic for protecting your information. However, there can be disadvantages.
- Losing access: If you end up forgetting your PIN or password, you might be unable to access the photos easily.
- Performance issues: Depending on the third-party app you use, these could use up a lot of your phone’s memory and resources. This can lead to a slowing down of performance on your device.
- Incomplete protection: While hiding your photos goes a long way to protecting your valuable images, it’s not completely foolproof. In the wrong, particularly tech-savvy hands, your photos may still be viewable.
Overall, hiding your photos on your Android mobile is relatively easy to do with the built-in Google Photos app. If you want extra security with features like facial recognition and automatic cloud backup, you could opt for a third-party app from the Play Store, such as Vaulty. Hiding your photos is not a completely failsafe method but it can be a good way to protect your sensitive information and make a device more child-friendly.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Karlis Dambrans/Shutterstock.com.