YouTube ranks as the second-largest search engine after Google. It is also the world’s largest video-sharing site, with more than 400 million unique monthly users. YouTube is a one-stop shop for everything you could ever want to watch, whether it be your favorite songs, movies, TV shows, or tutorials.
Undoubtedly, it’s a great resource, but what happens when you want to view videos offline? Watching YouTube videos is synonymous with being online. But is that the only way it has to be?
Downloading YouTube videos is a great way to watch and listen to your favorite songs, movies, tutorials, or TV shows offline. While the popularity of streaming services like Netflix has increased in recent years, there are still many other ways to access content online without needing an internet connection.
Without further ado, here’s how!
Save For Later On Your Android, iPhone, iPad, or Windows Phone
This process works best on a computer, but you can also download YouTube videos to your phone. To do so, open the app and navigate to the video you want to save. Tap on it and then tap “Save” in the bottom-right corner of the screen. This will bring up an option to “Save for offline.”
Tap on this and choose the video quality you want to save. It’s best to save in 720p or 1080p for better quality. Then tap “Download,” and the video will start downloading. When the download is complete, you can play your video at your convenience without needing an internet connection. It’s an excellent solution for those who often travel to places with no Wi-Fi access.
Save YouTube Videos as MP4 Files on Your Computer or Phone
You can also use a third-party app to download any videos from YouTube. While this may seem more complicated than other methods, the extra efforts are worthwhile.
- It’s a lot faster than downloading with your browser. The app will automatically convert the video into the proper format, so you don’t have to worry about it being corrupted or unusable.
- You can download multiple videos at once and batch-convert them so they play on your device in the best possible quality. There are several good YouTube video downloader apps, and your choice will depend on your needs and preferences.
Here Are a Few Steps You Can Follow to Download Your Preferred App for YouTube Videos on Android:
- Click on the video you want to download.
- Look for the option “Share” in your video player and click it.
- Select the app you want to use from the list of options, for instance, “Youtube Downloader,” or an alternative.
- Download and open the app, then enter your credentials to log in.
Once done, select the video you want to download from your list of options. A video preview with a download button next to it will pop up on your screen. Click the button, then select where to save your video. You can later watch the saved video or share it with other people. You can also upload it to an app like Dropbox, where you can access it wherever you go.
The biggest downside of this option is that not all apps allow high-resolution downloads; some only let you save in 480p or 720p. In addition, they will only give access to 30 seconds of video per clip instead of a full minute.
Download YouTube Videos Using a Browser Plugin
Numerous video plugins might work for you if you don’t have Flash installed on your device. However, you may need to try a few options before finding one that supports your desired features and formats.
Many free plugins are available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera; some cost money for additional features. In addition to these browsers’ native functionality, there’s also an app available for Android devices (and both Windows PCs and iOS devices).
Steps to Download YouTube Videos via a Browser Plugin
- 1. Find the video you want to download on YouTube and play it on your browser. Make sure you use a supported browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Opera).
- 2. Click the Download button on the video’s page. This will open a dialog box asking whether you want to download or save the video for offline viewing. Select “Save Video As.”
- 3. Choose the destination folder for your video file and hit “Save.” You can also select to download the video in high definition (HD) or standard definition (SD) and change its filename if you prefer.
- 4. The video will be saved on your chosen destination folder, where you can play it on your computer or mobile device offline.
Challenges with Downloading Using A Browser Plugin
- For starters, it’s not an ideal user experience; you must first find and activate the plugin before downloading and saving your video.
- It only allows downloads from a computer device.
- Also, the plugins aren’t always available. So you must first ensure your browser support plugins.
- Finally, browser plugins are often slow and clunky. It can take a long time to activate and be challenging to use with your mouse or trackpad.
Download Your Video With An Online YouTube Downloader
If you’re looking for the fastest and most efficient way to save YouTube videos, then Online YouTube Downloaders are your best bet. These websites allow you to copy a YouTube video link and paste it into their interface. They automatically convert the file into an MP3 or any other format you can play on any device. This takes a few seconds, making it a much faster option than using plugins or downloading directly from YouTube’s website.
With an online service, you won’t need to download any extra software or plugins; everything happens through your browser. This means any computer or device as long as it’s connected to the internet. Also, you don’t have to worry about cyberattacks as these services don’t require any personal information from users.
Here is How it Works:
- 1. Find a video on YouTube that you want to download.
- 2. Find an online YouTube downloader website of your choice and enter your video’s URL into the search bar.
- 3. The results will load, and you can choose which video to download.
- 4. Click on the “Download” button and select the format that you want your video in (e.g. MP4, AVI).
- 5. Wait for the download to finish and save your file on your computer.
The downside to this method is that some services charge a fee to use. However, the price is usually pretty reasonable and worth it if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to get your music onto your phone or computer.
An Alternate Solution is to Look for a Video Link on Another Website
Facing challenges using the options mentioned above? Here is an alternative for you. However, this method doesn’t offer the same high level of control over your downloaded video as the methods above, but it’s still quite helpful.
In many cases, enterprising YouTubers have taken their own copyrighted material and uploaded it to other sites—most commonly, social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter.
As long as you know where to look, finding these links can be easy: just search for a phrase (e.g., the name of a song) that appears in your chosen video. Once you trace the link, you can copy and paste it into your favorite downloader. As long as the file doesn’t have DRM protection, you will download and save it with no trouble.
Of course, this method isn’t perfect. Finding the correct link can be time-consuming, and you may end up downloading an illegitimate version of the file or something else entirely.
What To Know About Downloading YouTube Videos
It is legal to download YouTube videos. The site’s Terms of Services state that users can download content for personal use, as long as it doesn’t violate copyright laws or defame anyone. However, exercise caution when downloading videos from websites like YouTube and Vimeo. You could be charged with a crime if caught sharing copyrighted material, violating your terms of service agreement or other legal agreements.
Most video creators offer their own rules regarding how their content can be shared and distributed via different platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. For example, some creators allow their videos to be shared freely on social media but may require a fee if you want to share the full video on another website (e.g. Vimeo).
Just because it’s legal doesn’t mean there aren’t any consequences for doing so. You could still get in trouble depending on the money earned from your original sharing activity or whether someone has taken issue with something directly towards them (e.g. defamation). This means that even if someone hasn’t stated they don’t want their work shared by others online—like through an image being posted online without permission—you still shouldn’t do so without getting approval from them first.
What to Consider When Choosing A Method To Download YouTube Videos
There are many different ways to download recordings from YouTube, but not all will work for you.
The first thing you’ll want to consider is whether or not you want an option that will allow you to download the video in its original format or if you’d prefer something that can convert it into a different format.
Second, consider whether you want an option to download the video entirely or a portion of it. Remember, not all programs will allow you to download a video entirely; some only feature the ability to download specific content segments.
Finally, consider how easy it is to use. Some programs are designed with users in mind, while others are more complex and may require extra expertise and effort.
If you’re looking to download YouTube videos, there are several ways to do it.
You can opt for methods that convert the file into an MP4 format and save it on your computer or phone. Or, opt for services that convert the file into multiple formats to play on most devices or applications. The best thing about it is that it won’t cost you a thing. Also, you can always check online reviews, as they will help you find the right program for you.