- As one of the largest global social media platforms, Facebook was considered a necessity by many people for quite some time. However, with growing concerns over the platform’s effect on mental health and data security, more and more users are looking to delete their account altogether.
- You can delete your account using either your computer or phone, though the computer is the easier method. If you want to back up your information and photos before you delete your account, Facebook gives you a way to compile and download your profile data.
- To delete your account, you’ll need to go to your privacy settings in either your web browser or the Facebook app and follow the prompts. Once you request deletion, you have to wait 30 days for Facebook to fully delete your profile. If you log in to your account at any point in those 30 days, your deletion will be canceled and you will have to wait another 30 days.
Facebook is used by people all around the world to stay in touch with friends and family, sell things, and keep in touch with their communities. While some view social media as a necessary component of life, others are alarmed by the continuous data breaches and privacy concerns.
In this guide, we’ll discuss different methods of how to delete your Facebook account permanently. Additionally, we’ll mention a more temporary solution for those just looking to take a vacation from social media.
Let’s get started!
6 Steps to Delete Your Facebook Account on Your Computer
One of the easiest methods to delete your Facebook account is through a web browser on your computer. This process is the same for all three major operating systems — Windows, macOS, and Linux — since the request is filed directly at the company’s website, without the use of an app.
This is an optional step, and you can skip directly to the next step if you don’t care or have a backup of your files posted on Facebook. If not, we recommend that you log into your account and save all the media you hold dear to save them from being deleted forever.
Facebook also allows you to completely download your profile data, which we’ll cover in the later section of this guide.
Step 1: Tap the Ellipses on the Left Sidebar
The very first step to deleting your Facebook account is to log into your Facebook profile using your credentials. Once the page has loaded, click on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the page to reveal a drop-down menu with options.
Step 2: Click Settings & Privacy
Once the drop-down menu appears, click the Settings & Privacy option, which is typically the first-listed option located below your profile banner. A sub-menu should open, revealing new options. Click on Settings to open the Settings & Privacy Page.
Step 3: Click on Your Facebook Information
Next, click on Your Facebook Information located on the left-hand side panel. This will reveal plenty of options related to your profile information, like Activity Log and Off-Facebook Activity. Scroll past those options and click on Deactivation and deletion.
Step 4: Deactivation and Deletion
When you click Deactivation and Deletion option, a prompt will appear asking you whether you’re deactivating your Facebook account or deleting it.
Select Delete account, and click the blue Continue to account deletion button at the lower-right corner of the prompt.
Step 5: Permanently Delete Account
The prompt will offer you additional options to download your content, deactivate your Facebook account, or transfer your information to another social media service.
Since you’re deleting your Facebook account permanently, the only usable option would be to download your information if you already haven’t. Proceed with the deletion by clicking on the Delete account blue button located at the bottom-right of the prompt window.
Step 6: Confirm
Once you click the Delete account button, another security prompt will appear, asking you to confirm this action by entering your password in the required field. Enter your password, and click Continue.
After that, Facebook will inform you that you’re about to permanently delete your account and that the action is reversible during the next 30 days.
After the 30 days have expired, your account will be permanently deleted, and none of your data can be retrieved. Click Delete account to permanently delete your account. Facebook will return you to the login page.
An Important Note
Additionally, despite not being able to reverse the process after 30 days, it may take up to 90 days to complete the process internally and scrub your data off Facebook. Copies of your content may remain after 90 days in backup storage, which is accessible in events of disaster, software error, or data loss.
The company also retains its rights to keep your information if it deems it necessary, for things like legal issues, term violations, or prevention of harmful efforts.
How to Delete Your Facebook Account Permanently Using Your iPhone
Deleting Facebook for good on an iPhone is easier than you think. You can either follow this link or follow the step-by-step process described below.
Here’s how to delete your Facebook account permanently using your iPhone:
- Open the Facebook app on your iOS device, and tap the Menu icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down until you find the Settings & privacy option. Tap it.
- Once you’ve selected the Settings & privacy option, a drop-down menu will open.
- Tap on Settings in the drop-down menu to open the Settings & privacy sub-menu.
- Under the Account section, click on Personal and Account Information.
- Then go to the Account Ownership and Control option.
- Account Ownership and Control window will now open, offering several options. Tap on Deactivation and deletion. This will give you two choices: Deactivate account and Delete account. Select the latter, and tap on Continue to account deletion.
- On the next menu page, tap on Continue to account deletion. This will take you to the Account deletion menu page, which offers additional options to download your content, deactivate your Facebook account, or transfer your information to another social media service.
- Scroll down and tap on the Delete account button at the bottom of the screen. A security prompt will ask you to confirm the action by entering your password. Enter your password and hit Continue.
- After that, the app will inform you that you’re about to permanently delete your account. Click Delete account to permanently delete your account.
Check out this insightful video tutorial on permanently deleting your Facebook account. If you’re ready to reclaim your online privacy and bid farewell to the social media giant, this step-by-step guide will show you the way. Click to watch and embark on your journey to digital detox!
How to Delete Your Facebook Account Permanently Using an Android
Deleting your Facebook account on an Android device is just as easy as on an iOS, though the process differs slightly. It only takes a few steps, although Facebook will offer some alternatives for you to consider, like deactivating your account, instead of deleting it permanently. Still, if you’re decisive about deleting your Facebook account permanently, here’s how to do it:
- Open the Facebook app on your Android device, and tap the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner (the three horizontal lines).
- Next, scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy, and then select Settings once the drop menu appears.
- Scroll down to the Your Facebook Information section and tap Account Ownership and Control to open the sub-menu.
- Once the sub-menu page loads, it will offer several options, including the Deactivation and deletion options. Tap it.
- On the next screen, select Delete account and tap Continue to account deletion.
- The app will offer you to pick a reason for deletion, and if you pick one, it will offer an alternative, like deactivation, notification management, and changing privacy settings. You can skip all of this and just tap Continue to account deletion.
- The app will now offer you to save all your data, transfer it to another service, or deactivate your account instead of permanently deleting it. Tap on Delete account to proceed.
- A security prompt will appear, asking you to confirm the action by entering your password. Enter your password and tap on Delete account to permanently delete your Facebook account. As before, the app will return you to the login screen.
Still Not Ready to Leave?
If you’re worried about spending too much time on Facebook, you don’t have to delete your account. You can just deactivate your account, which will hide your profile and your files. However, you would still be able to use Facebook-related apps, like Messenger, and get friendly reminders about people’s birthdays and so on.
If you’re interested in deactivating your account, just follow the steps described above. However, instead of selecting Delete Account in the Deactivation and Deletion menu, you should select Deactivate Account.
What Happens Next?
Well, that depends on whether you deleted or deactivated your Facebook account. In case of deactivation, your profile and shared files will remain hidden until you log into your Facebook account the next time. This doesn’t include logging into Messenger.
However, if you decide to delete your Facebook account permanently, you have 30 days to change your mind before your account is gone forever. You can do this by logging into your account —this will cancel out the deletion process. However, after 30 days, your account is officially deleted, and data that has been associated with your account can no longer be accessed.
It’s important to note that, despite being deleted, all data you’ve posted on social media is logged forever.
- The Like button was originally the Awesome button.
- Facebook stores approximately 300 petabytes of user data on its servers.
- Every second, eight new people join Facebook.
- For every minute of downtime, Facebook loses approximately $24,500.
- Videos are the most-shared content type on Facebook.
Complete History of LinkedIn – As a more professional version of social media, LinkedIn is a great space for networking and job searching.
The Real Reason Google+ Failed Spectacularly – Google’s foray into building a social networking platform with Google+ was less than successful.
The 10 Largest Social Media Companies in the World and What They Do – Discover which 10 social media companies have the largest global marketshare.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©solomon7/Shutterstock.com.