- Converting images into JPG is a useful skill for social media, email, and document creation.
- JPG is a file type recognized and supported by almost all devices and software types.
- To convert a WebP to JPG, you can use Microsoft Paint, Photoshop, a Google Chrome extension, or several others.
There is nothing more frustrating than waiting for ages for a web page to load because of large, unwieldy image files. It’s no surprise that search engines are cracking down on slow pages and large bandwidth-consuming images in digital content.
Tackling image files is one of the easiest ways to provide a great user experience on a website. The right image file types also come in handy on social media, email, and when creating images and documents.
WebP is one of the best image file types for web content, but you may find working with WebP difficult on certain image editors and other software. A solution is to convert WebP to JPG, a much more common file type that most devices and software use.
These tutorials should prove useful if you:
- run an online business
- do graphic design or web design
- work in SEO
- work as an influencer
- are a digital marketing or outdoor media professional
- work as an influencer
Anyone who needs to handle digital images will be helped by this guide that makes converting your WebP files to JPGs super simple! Let’s get started.
Converting WebP to JPG in Simple Steps
WebP files are the smart, new, internet-friendly image format that really speeds up your websites and social media. These high-resolution images are way smaller than a PNG and even smaller than JPGs of equivalent size. Though there is increasing adoption of the WebP format among digital creatives, downsides like web browser and image editor incompatibility mean that you may still need to rely on the trusty JPG to get the job done.
Converting WebP to JPG is also a little challenging, again, because of compatibility issues.
How to Convert WebP to JPG with Photoshop
Any version of Photoshop above 23.2 is fully compatible with the WebP format, so you can open, edit, and convert WebP files with zero hassle. If you have an earlier version of Photoshop, Adobe provides a WebP shop plugin so you can have native support.
Here’s how to convert your WebP file to JPG with Photoshop:
- Open Photoshop.
- In the Photoshop desktop, click on File, select Open, and choose the WebP file you want to convert in the window that pops up.
- Your selected image opens in Photoshop.
- Convert the image to WebP by returning to the File menu and clicking Export As. In the new window that opens, choose the image file type for exporting the opened image.
- Select JPG from File type and click Export.
- Select the image quality and level of compression of your JPG file in the small window that opens. Clicking the Export button again saves the new JPG file to your computer.
Convert WebP to JPG by Changing the Image URL
If you want to pull online images on platforms like Instagram or Google Play, you’ll find that they are almost always WebP files. A neat way to turn them into JPGs is to change the image URL as you save them. Follow these steps to download a WebP file as a JPG:
- Right-click on the WebP image you want to convert.
- Select Copy Image Address from the right-click menu.
- Paste the copied URL into a new tab on your browser.
- In the address bar of the opened image, remove the last three characters in the URL and reload the page.
- You can now download the image as a JPG by right-clicking on the image, selecting Save Image As, and selecting the JPG file type.
- Download the JPG to the destination of your choice.
Converting WebP to JPG on Mac Using Preview
Preview is one of computing’s most underrated applications! You can quickly change the file extension of a WebP image to JPG without even opening the WebP file. Follow these steps:
- Search for the WebP image you want to convert.
- Right-click on the file icon and choose Preview from the menu.
- When the Preview opens, click on File and then click on Export.
- Select .JPG for file extension options and click on Save.
How to Convert a WebP to JPG with Microsoft Paint
Microsoft Paint once again comes to the rescue to convert those WebP images you download from the web quickly and easily. Surprisingly, you can open WebP files in MS Paint and simply save the opened images as JPGs.
Follow these easy steps:
- Open Microsoft Paint.
- Go to File and click on Open.
- Open the WebP file you want to convert to open it in MS Paint.
- Once the WebP image is opened, return to File.
- Click on Save As.
- Select JPG as the file extension and change the location of your file if necessary.
- Click Save to create a JPG version of your WebP.
How to Convert WebP to JPG in Your Browser
Using your browser to convert WebP to JPG is hassle-free, especially if you’re actively working with images online.
Below are two ways to use your browser to convert these popular image file types.
Try a Chrome Extension
Search the Chrome add-on store for an image file converter that can sit in your browser and convert any WebP files you want to use. Browser converters allow you to download the converted file or take you to a website to complete the process.
Save image as Type and the WebP/Avif Image Converter are two extensions you may want to try.
Use Online File Converters
You can also convert WebP files online using free conversion software like Convertio.co. This is also a very easy method that simply requires you to upload the WebP file you want to convert and select JPG as the file type. You can then download it to a destination of your choice.
With Google’s blessing, WebP is set to take the internet by storm. These useful converter methods mean you can work just easily with WebP as you do with other popular image files.