- MOV files are an older and larger file format, developed by Apple and remain popular with Mac users because of their excellent video quality.
- MP4 files are smaller and can be played on almost any device. This makes them a popular option for streaming, downloading, and editing video content.
- Online converters take the video, audio, and text data in the MOV file and repackage it in MP4 containers.
If you are a movie fan, YouTuber, or work with video, you’re likely to have used the .mov and MP4 file formats.
MOV and MP4 are leading media file formats that are widely adopted for storing, editing, or sharing video. But, it’s important to note that there are marked differences in their size, handling, and compatibility with devices, meaning you may want to convert your WebM content to MP4.
In this article, we’ll share how to convert .mov to MP4 in easy steps for Windows, Mac, and online.
Converting MOV to MP4
MOV files are an older and larger file format, developed by Apple and remain popular with Mac users because of their excellent video quality. However, .mov files are large and can have compatibility issues, meaning it may be more convenient to convert the MOV file into a file type that is easier to handle.
MP4 files are smaller and can be played on almost any device. This makes them a popular option for streaming, downloading, and editing video content, so it may make sense to convert a .mov file to MP4.
Thankfully, there are many methods for converting a .mov file to MP4 for great playback on any device you want. Enjoy high-quality videos by converting your WebM file to MP4 using the following methods below.
How to Convert MOV to MP4 with an Online Video Converter
Using an online video converter enables you to quickly and easily convert MOV files without resorting to downloading software. Online converters take the video, audio, and text data in the MOV file and repackage it in MP4 containers. Online converters are compatible with most browsers, operating systems, and devices (including smartphones).
Follow these steps for using an online WebM to MP4 converter:
- Open your web browser and visit the website of the .mov to MP4 file converter.
- You can upload the MOV file you want to convert by clicking on the Select File button or using drag-and-drop if it is available.
- Select MP4 as the output file format.
- Convert your MOV file by clicking the Convert button. This is usually a short process but may take time if the file is large.
- Once your MOV file is converted, you can download the MP4 to a location of your choice.
Try These Online MOV to MP4 Video Converters
If you opt for using an online converter, be careful to avoid shady sites that could download spyware, malware, or viruses onto your computer.
Here are some of the best MOV to MP4 websites for you to try:
- Free Convert: This is a pretty basic site that will convert your MOV file to an MP4. Just open or drag and drop the MOV file into the site and select options like screen size, aspect ratio, and frame rate. You can click on the convert button to convert the file to MP4 which immediately downloads when completed.
- Cloud Convert: This is a more technical converter, but great to bookmark because you can convert over 200 file formats! You can convert your MOV file to MP4 with wide-ranging settings to get the output file you need. Just make sure you select the correct file formats in the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- VEED.IO: This is another basic site for converting MOV files to MP4. Upload your MOV file and click Convert to download your MP4 file to your computer.
Convert MOV to MP4 on Your PC
If you handle a lot of video files, it may be useful to have a video converter on your computer, so you can convert them offline. Download software often includes editing and other useful settings. Some converter software can handle multiple files at once.
Follow these steps for using a MOV to MP4 converter:
- Download and install a MOV to MP4 converter that is compatible with your PC’s operating system.
- Open the convert software on your computer. Have your MOV file available.
- The converter software’s settings can be used to customize your MP4 output. Create and format filenames for your converted files and choose a location to save the file.
- Open the MOV file you want to convert in the converter software.
- Start the conversion process by clicking the Convert button.
- PC converter software usually automatically saves the converted MP4 file in a location you have selected.
- You can use your new MP4 file whenever you’re ready.
Best PC Video Converters
- MediaHuman YouTube to MP3 Converter: MediaHuman can convert almost any video or audio file type island and is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux. Use it to convert your WebM files to MP4 and you can even watch and convert ad-free YouTube content!
- ByClick Downloader: Use ByClick Downloader, a free media converter, to convert a wide range of video and audio file formats, including MOV and MP4. By downloading ByClick, you can have unlimited offline conversions of your MOV files.
- Uniconverter: Uniconverter is a simple video file converter that will reliably convert MOV to MP4.
Converting MOV to MP4 on a Mac
Even though MOV is 100% compatible with Mac, you may want to convert a MOV file to MP4 to share or upload online. The solution for making the conversion is the VLC media player.
It’s a bit old-school but VLC is actually a high-utility software that can convert multiple video file formats. It is one of the best ways to convert MOV files on your Mac.
Follow these steps to convert MOV to MP4 on Mac:
- Download the VLC media player to your Mac if you don’t have it already.
- Have the MOV file you want to convert ready on your desktop.
- Open the VLC Media player. It has several options but you need the Convert/Stream setting. Clicking on this option opens the converter, with its media selector, output profile, and destination areas for you to set up your file conversion.
- Use the media selector to choose your MOV file for conversion. Set the output profile to M4V. M4V is Apple’s version of an MP4 file.
- You can start the conversion process by clicking on the GO button.
- Your M4V can be saved to a location you choose or shared with others online.
Here is a step-by-step video for further reference:
Use Your Smartphone to Convert MOV to MP4
Convert MOV to MP4 on the move by using your smartphone to convert these two file types. There are video converter apps that can convert MOV files on iOS and Android.
Follow these simple steps below to convert WebM to MP4 on a smartphone.
Converting .mov to MP4 on an iPhone
The Video Converter is an app-based converter that can convert MOV to MP4 quickly and easily.
Here’s how to do it:
- Use iTunes to download The Video Converter app on your iPhone.
- Have your .mov file ready and open the converter app on your phone.
- Inside the opened app, use the file selector to select and open the MOV file you would like to convert.
- Choose MP4 as your output file type.
- Start the conversion process by tapping the Convert button. It should take a few moments or longer depending on your file size and connection quality.
- Once completed, you can save your MP4 to your phone or share it by email, WhatsApp, or Messenger.
Converting Your MOV File to MP4 on an Android Phone
Video Format Factory is a popular video converter app for Android phones that also enables basic editing of the video files you convert.
Here’s how to use it:
- Go to Google Play and download Video Format Factory.
- Open Video Format Factory on your phone.
- Grab the MOV file you want to convert by tapping the + icon to add the file.
- Tap the Convert icon to choose your output file format.
- Start the conversion process by tapping Convert again.
- Save the converted MP4 to your phone to share it via email, WhatsApp, or Messenger.
It’s great to know that you can handle MOV files easily by simply converting them to MP4. You should have great results using any of the methods we’ve shared.
- The Largest Tech Companies in the United States – Here’s a full list of the largest tech companies in the U.S.
- How to Clear YouTube History, Step by Step with Photos It can be annoying when YouTube suggests videos on topics you’re not interested in. Find out how to clean that slate by clearing the history.
- The Real Reason Google+ Failed Spectacularly Google+ ultimately failed due to several critical design flaws that exposed user information through its API. Read on to learn the whole story.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Drazen Zigic/Shutterstock.com.