Key Points .
- SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG). It is an open-source XML-based vector image format. Images stored using it are capable of scaling almost infinitely without any loss of resolution.
- JPG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group. Images using the format can easily be shared due to their small sizes.
- Tools which can be used to convert JPG files to SVG files include: Inkscape, Online Converter, Vector Magic, Convertio.io, and Adobe Express.
Whether you want to design a logo or produce a scalable image, the SVG file is your best choice. SVG files aren’t raster image files like JPG, but graphic files that use complex mathematical formulas to map and produce an image that is highly scalable. This more recent and powerful file type is beneficial for many online and offline design projects.
As a result, they can handle being blown up to massive dimensions and still stay crisp. In this article, we’ll share how to convert JPG to SVG in easy steps that you can do on your PC, Mac, or tablet.
Method 1: Convert JPEG to SVG with Inkscape
Inkscape is a sister software of GIMP and is similarly free yet powerful vector graphics software. Inkscape works with SVG files and you can use this program to create a scalable SVG from your JPG. You can do this by tracing the JPG image and composing a new image that can be saved as an SVG. Follow these steps carefully to get your SVG:
Step 1: Download Inkscape to your PC
When you download the software, it will automatically choose the best version for your operating system. Once the file has been downloaded, install and open Inkscape on your PC.
Step 2: Go to “File”, click on “Open” and find the JPG file you want to convert.
Step 3: Use the Trace Bitmap function to transfer your image
This trace bitmap tool is imprecise but convenient. It may not work with every JPG, but you can achieve great results with simpler, bolder JPG images.
Step 4: Select the settings for your bitmap trace
If your image is black and white, choose the “Single Scans option”. If your JPG is a color image, choose “Multiple Scans”. For “Multiple Scans” enter the number of colors. You can also select additional options for “Smooth,” “Stack,” and “Remove Background” for your image.
Step 5: Click “Update” for a preview of the scan
Adjust the settings until you get a scanned image that is satisfactory.
Step 6: Click “OK”
The Trace Bitmap will now scan the image, presenting a traced result to the right of the original image.
Step 7: Save your image
The file type should be “Optimized SVG”. Hit the “Save” button to save your SVG.
Method 2: Convert JPG to SVG with Online Converter
You can also convert your JPG to SVG with an online image file converter. However, the results are highly variable and the SVG images provided are usually silhouettes or black and white.
The best JPG to SVG converters will allow you to preview and adjust settings on the image to get the best vector result. Here are the typical steps for converting a JPG to an SVG with an online converter:
Step 1: Open the online converter in your web browser
One of the free JPG to SVG converters, Adobe Express lets you convert your image into SVQ quickly.
Step 2: Click on the “Upload” button
Step 3: Click the “Convert” button and wait for your SVG file to be created.
The best converters do everything for you, but some online converters may have settings you need to change until you get an acceptable image for your project. The conversion process should only take a few seconds, especially if you use a monochrome or silhouette image.
Step 4: Download the SVG file
Choose a filename and destination for your new SVG.
Online JPG to SVG converters
- Vector Magic is a premium vectorization tool, but produces outstanding results that are suitable for most JPEG conversions.
- Convertio.io converts to and from over 300 file types, including JPG and SVG. It has free and premium options for you to use.
- Adobe Express is a free tool that can convert your JPGs to high-quality SVG files for various projects. It is 100% automatic so no fiddling with color settings or image layers!
Because JPG and SVG files are two utterly different image technologies, you may need to jump through a few hoops to convert them. Converting JPG to SVG can be hit-and-miss so it’s best to try a variety of methods until you get a result you are happy with.
Interested in more helpful tips and pointers? Click on the links below:
- How to Delete Instagram Messages Permanently: Do you wish to delete a single message or an entire conversation? The procedure has been outlined here.
- How to Download Your Data From Instagram, With Photos: Do you know you can manage your data on Instagram? Find out how to do so in this article.
- 5 Steps to See Who Unfollowed You on Instagram: Checking who has unfollowed you can provide you with valuable insight on what you need to be doing to attract more followers. Find out how to do so in this article.