HEIC is a smart and contemporary image file type that is used by macOS and iOS. But, if you have a Windows computer, there is no native support for HEIC and you may struggle to open and share these images via your PC. One of the most common solutions for dealing with HEIC files if you’re a Windows user is to convert them into JPGs for ready use.
In this article, we’ll show you how to convert HEIC to JPG on Windows using the most efficient methods and platforms. If you work with digital images as a blogger, graphic designer, or marketer, or simply want to work with images from off your iPhone or iPad, you’ll increasingly encounter this file type, so having solutions for converting HEIC is extremely useful.
Let’s dive in!
Get and Use a HEIC Image File Extension for Windows 10
You can make up for the lack of HEIC compatibility for Windows 10 by downloading and installing an extension that instructs your computer on how to open the HEIC file successfully.
The two extensions you can use are the HEIF and HEVC extensions for Windows 10, which are available in the Microsoft Store.
Here is what you need to do:
Step 1: Go to your Window’s Start menu and search for the Microsoft Store.
The Microsoft Store is the most reliable source of plugins and other apps for your PC. The HEIC Image Extension is available there. If you need to, log in using your Microsoft account.
Step 2: In the Microsoft Store, search for HEIF Image Extensions.
Type the name of the extension into the search bar and click on the extension when it appears. Alternatively, you can search online for the HEIF Image extension and access it via the Microsoft Store online.
Step 3: Click Open to download and open the extension.
The HEIC Image Extension is free but if you want the HEVC extension, which can also convert video, you’ll have to pay $0.99.
Use an Online Image Converter to Convert Your HEIC File
Cloud-based software online is less hassle than adding an extension to Windows, and your files will convert 100% of the time. Drag-and-drop online software can convert an unlimited number of HEIC files to JPGs for free. Search online for converter software and use the following steps to convert your HEIC file:
- Navigate to the cloud-based file converter website.
- Select the image conversion you want: HEIC to JPG output.
- Drag and drop the HEIC file you want to convert or click the Upload button and select the file on your computer.
- Once the HEIC file uploads, click Convert and wait for the software to convert your file.
- Download the newly created JPG and open it on your computer.
Great Online Converters for HEIC to JPG
- Cloud Convert: This technical converter converts over 200 file formats! You can quickly convert your HEIC files to JPG or any other output file you want. Just choose the correct file formats in the paired drop-down menus on the homepage.
- HEIC Online: This is a dedicated HEIC converter and is 100% free. You can adjust compression and image quality settings on the JPGs you produce.
Convert HEIC to JPG in Your Browser
One of the most convenient ways to convert HEIC to JPG going forward is to use your browser. This completely bypasses the Windows issue.
Below are some browser-based options for you to try.
Use a Chrome Extension
The Chrome add-on store has several image file converters you can download and install in a Chrome or Brave browser. These image file converters handle multiple file types, including HEIC and JPG. When you want to convert a HEIC file, the converter can complete the conversion in Chrome or take you to an online converter.
How to Use a Chrome Extension to Convert HEIC
- Open Google Chrome.
- Go to the Chrome Webstore.
- Search for HEIC Converter.
- Click on Converter 365.
- In the upper right-hand area, click on Add to Chrome. If a security prompt comes up, click Add Extension.
- Add Converter 365 to your browser by clicking the jigsaw puzzle piece add-on icon to the right of your address bar. This will pin Converter365 to your browser.
- An icon will appear to the right of the address bar. Click on this icon to open the converter when you need it.
Use Adobe Photoshop to Convert HEIC to JPG
If you’re a graphic designer that works with Photoshop, the answer for converting HEIC files is right in front of you! Photoshop is really underrated as an image file converter, but you can use it to quickly open edit, and convert HEIC files to a range of alternate formats.
Because HEIC files are now the standard image file format for Mac and iPhone users, this file format is only going to become more and more common. It is highly likely that the Windows 11 release will have native support for HEIC, but until then, you can confidently access image content on these files by converting them to JPGs.