- Discord allows users to customize their experience by changing their nickname, which is different from their username and display name.
- To change your nickname on Discord from a PC, access the server, go to server settings, and edit the server profile.
- To change your nickname on the Discord app, find the server, edit your server profile, and save the nickname.
- Changing your nickname on one server does not change your username, and it may be frowned upon in some communities.
Whether you’re looking to revamp your online image or have simply grown tired of an old moniker, we’re going to show you how to change your nickname on Discord. It’s something anyone can accomplish in a matter of minutes, whether you use Discord on your PC or a mobile device.
Discord Nicknames Explained
Discord allows users to customize their experience in a variety of ways. Users can set PFPs and change colors to suit their needs, but you can also change your nickname. Before you do that, it’s important to understand the difference between Discord usernames and nicknames.
Every Discord member has a unique username. By default, it acts as your nickname across all servers unless you change it. Nicknames are used to identify users on servers. People can have the same handle on a Discord server but not the same “username.” They are also different from Display Names, which double as a username until you set a nickname.
Changing your Discord nickname is a great way to show off your personality or interests in different groups. It doesn’t allow you to “hide” on Discord, however, as your username remains the same until changed.
How to Change Your Nickname on Discord from a PC
When you want to change your nickname on Discord from a computer, you’ll need to fire up the app or log in to the site from a web browser.
1. Access the Server
Go to the server where you want to change your Discord nickname. Click on the down arrow in the top right corner of the image with the server name to open a new window.
2. Server Settings
When you click on that arrow, you’ll see options to boost the server, send out an invite, or change your settings. Scroll down and choose the section called Edit Server Profile.
3. Edit Server Profile
From this menu, make sure Server Profile is selected at the top of the page, then find the box labeled Server Nickname. Enter your new name and click Save to finalize the changes for that specific server.
How to Change Your Nickname on the Discord App
Changing your nickname from the official Discord app follows a similar process but with fewer clicks.
1. Find the Server
Open the Discord app and choose the server where you want to change your nickname. Tap the three-dot menu to pull up a sub-menu like the one shown in the photo below.
2. Edit Your Server Profile
Towards the bottom of this section, you’ll see an option for Server Profile. Tap it and set your name in the Server Nickname box, along with any pronouns you wish to use for the server.
3. Save the Nickname
When you’re happy with your new nickname, there’s just one more step to take. Select Save at the top right of the page.
Having the ability to change your nickname on Discord in seconds is fantastic. It’s also something many new users aren’t aware of, given the confusion with usernames and nicknames. Just follow these three easy steps to make the change:
- Access the server where you want to change your Discord nickname, then click on the down arrow in the top right corner of the server image.
- Scroll down the server settings menu and choose the section called Edit Server Profile.
- Under Server Profile, find Server Nickname, enter your new name, and click Save.
Just keep in mind changing your nickname on one server doesn’t change your username. It’s also frowned upon in some communities, especially if you do it too often.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Sergei Elagin/Shutterstock.com.