You can get bored of your PlayStation username anytime. Whether the name seems old-fashioned or you want to change it out of fun, the process is easy on both PS4 and PS5. Unfortunately, you can’t change your PlayStation name on a PS3 or PS Vita.
Your PSN Online ID helps your friends identify, connect, and play games with you. Of course, you can’t stick with the same username in your adulthood that you had in your teenage years. Thankfully, Sony listened to every gamer’s wish and allowed them to change their PSN unlimited times. However, it comes at a cost!
While you can change your name on PlayStation for free the first time, you’ll be charged $9.99 when doing it again. You can get a 50% discount if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, meaning you can change your username for just $4.99. So, you should think thoroughly before deciding to do it.
Remember, changing your PSN name can risk data loss with specific games because not every game is compatible with this feature. Keep reading to change the name on your PlayStation correctly.
Things to Understand Before Changing Your PlayStation Name
If you previously kept your PSN username in haste, you can change it anytime through the PlayStation’s website or gaming console. But before we get on to the process, you must keep the following things in mind:
- If you face technical problems, you’d have to revert to your original PSN online ID without cost.
- Changing your online ID is only free for the first time. You will be charged an amount when you try to do it again. However, you can get a discount by subscribing to PlayStation Plus.
- PlayStation applications, games, and services take time to update your recently changed online ID. In fact, the duration can be as long as a week.
- If you change your online ID on a PS4, you may face trouble in playing some games (we will discuss the list of these games later on).
- You must follow PlayStation’s Terms of Service when changing the name on your PS4 or PS5. If it violates any rule, your username will automatically modify to “Temp-xxxxx.” You can again change your name later on.
- Changing your online ID feature isn’t available on PS Vita, PS3, and PS/TV games.
- You can’t change the online ID on your child’s account.
How to Change Your Name on PlayStation 4
You change your username on PS4 from the primary dashboard. The process is pretty easy, and you’ll be done with it in no time. Just follow the below steps to change your name on PS4.
Step 1: Open Settings
Turn on your PlayStation console and wait for the main dashboard to appear. Once it’s there, open the Settings option represented by a toolbox icon.
Step 2: Find Account Management
Now, look for Account Management on the next screen and choose it.
Step 3: Select Account Information, then Profile
Select Account Information in the following window and look for Profile. It will be the fourth option. Select it.
Step 4: Click Online ID
In the Profile menu, select Online ID, the option after Name.
PlayStation will then display a few warnings from Sony. Just accept them to proceed further. Enter the username you want to opt for on the next screen and press Confirm. At this point, PSN will also notify you about the Online ID change fee, which you must pay to complete the process.
Remember, the Name option differs from Online ID. This option only changes your first and last name on the console, which is not visible to others.
Note: After changing your PS4 name, your ID will be signed out of all the PSN devices. Sign back into each device to see your new username.
How to Change Your Name on PlayStation 5
The process for changing your username on PS5 is almost the same as on PS4, but there are a few exceptions. Here is how you can change your name on your PS5.
Step 1: Open Settings
First, power your console and wait for the main dashboard to load. Then, find the cog icon that is the Settings option of your PS5. Select it.
Step 2: Choose Users and Accounts
As the Settings open, look for the Users and Accounts option. It will be in the fourth position. Click it.
Step 3: Click Accounts, then Profile
Choose Accounts on the next screen and then click Profile.
Step 4: Select Online ID
Click Online ID from the Profile menu, accept Sony warnings and type your new username. But first, you’ll be asked to enter your current PSN credentials. Provide them, enter your new name, and click Confirm to proceed further. Finally, follow the prompted instructions to complete the process.
Your PS5 will also notify you about the charges applied to the name-changing procedure. Read them before clicking on confirm.
Note: Once you’re done, you will be signed out of your PSN devices just like PS4. Sign in with your new username on all these devices.
How to Change Your Name on PlayStation Through the Web
If you’re facing difficulties changing your name directly from the console, you can do it via the website too. Remember, Online ID and username are the same, so don’t be confused during the process.
Follow the below steps to change the name on your PlayStation 4 and 5:
- Start by opening the PlayStation website and finding the Sign In option. It will be on the screen’s upper-right corner as a blue or black button. Click on it.
- Select your Avatar present close to your shopping cart and wishlist. After that, click on your username.
- Your Profile’s main dashboard will now be opened. Look for Edit next to your username/online ID. Click it. You’ll then see “Important Information” prompts on your screen. Read them and click I Accept to move further.
- On the next screen, click Continue to access the username-changing screen. Provide your new username in the search box to complete the process.
Note: You can change the name on your PlayStation website if a new username is available. Doing so will change your username on all the other PSN devices, including PS4 and PS5.
Can You Change Your PlayStation Username Back to the Original Name?
Many gamers encounter issues when changing their name on PlayStation. If you are in the same boat, the good news is that you can revert your username to the original one for free.
Of course, changing your PlayStation username doesn’t guarantee that your issue will be resolved. But there is nothing wrong with doing so. After all, it is free!
Potential Issues After Changing Your PSN Online ID
Once you change your PSN online ID, many things will change. You will likely face data loss issues with some games. Also, your changed or original online ID can start appearing as “Temp-xxxxxx,” or sometimes, it won’t change.
While you can revert your online ID to resolve these issues, it won’t recover your lost game data. Therefore, it’s better to contact PlayStation Support whenever you encounter any issue after changing your Online ID.
Below are some potential issues when changing your PSN online ID and their reasons.
The New Online ID Appears as “Temp-xxxxxx”
If your new online ID breaches any PSN Terms of Service rule, the PSN’s moderation team will mark it “Temp-xxxxxx” during the investigation process. This issue can also occur when another player reports your ID.
To avoid this error, always read the PSN Community Code of Conduct before changing your name on your PlayStation.
Original Online ID Appears as “Temp-xxxxxx”
Sometimes, your original online ID will appear as “Temp-xxxxxx” out of nowhere. This mostly happens when another player reports your username. Unfortunately, you can’t revert your online ID in this case, but you can change it from “Temp-xxxxxx” to a new one.
If you suspect data loss, contact PlayStation support as soon as possible to find the solution.
Undesired Online ID Change
It is possible that someone else is able to change your online ID. You can modify your username to a new one by changing your account and credentials. You can also visit the Compromised Account Guide to resolve this issue.
New Online ID Not Showing
If you can’t see your new online ID, don’t start panicking. Many applications and servers take time to update to Online ID settings. So, wait for a maximum of one week. If the issue persists, report it to PlayStation Support.
Which Games Show Issues After Changing the Name on PlayStation?
As you know, only some PlayStation games are compatible with the online ID change feature. As a result, you can expect to experience data loss issues. But the good part is that PlayStation has already tested PS4 games (published on April 01, 2018, or later) to see which ones support this feature. So, you can stay aware if you ever intend to change your name on PlayStation.
Let’s have a look at which games show issues after changing the PSN Online ID.
Games That Show No Issues
Fortunately, most of the games showed no issues during the testing. A few of them include the following:
- Agents of Mayhem
- Minecraft: Story Mode – Season 2
- Alien: Isolation
- Mirror’s Edge Catalyst
- Attack on Titan
- MX vs. ATV Supercross Encore
- Batman: Arkham Knight
Games Displaying Issues
Some games showed a few issues that were not critical enough to affect your gaming experience to a greater extent. However, you must consider them when buying games for your PlayStation. The identified issues include:
- You may not be able to see your new online ID in some areas of the game, such as leaderboards, game rankings, etc. This means other players can also see your previous online ID. Your new online ID is automatically updated in your game titles when you sign out and sign in again.
- Other user accounts on your PlayStation can disconnect from game accounts. You can restore the connection by linking the accounts again.
- Some game settings may revert to default, but you can recover them by signing out and signing in again into the game.
Some games with the above issues include the following:
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Rock Band 4
- The Last of Us Remastered
- Gauntlet: Slayer Edition
- Titanfall 2
- GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst
- Trackmania Turbo
Games Showing Critical Issues
Some games showed critical issues that significantly affect the gaming experience. These include:
- Loss of in-game currency (paid or earned)
- Game data loss, including unlocked achievements, scores, progress, etc.
- Loss of some parts of a game or user-generated content (offline or online)
A few of these games include the following:
- Disc Jam
- MLB® The Show 15
- Just Dance 2017
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- The Golf Club 2
Note: PlayStation informs the users that they may experience any other issue apart from the above with any game upon changing their name on a PlayStation.