eBay is a global e-commerce platform that gathers millions of sellers and buyers from around the world. This means that selling on eBay allows you to access people from various backgrounds, expand your consumer base, and promote your product listings to the masses. But if you’re a new seller, you may struggle in many areas, especially when learning how to change currency on eBay.
eBay sellers must manage their store’s currency to facilitate customers from Asia, Europe, America, and more. But there is a problem. eBay generally lists those currencies that are widely accepted, such as the Euro, U.S. Dollar, Canadian Dollar, British Pound, etc. So, what about the customers living in other countries with different currencies?
Thus, sellers must make it easy for customers to convert an item’s price and manage their order amounts. It’s also essential for a buyer to know how to change currency on eBay to prevent the hassle of contacting the seller and converting the price of each product separately.
Read now to learn how to do that in the easiest way!
Things to Know Before Changing Currency on eBay
Whether you’re a seller or a buyer, you must know a few things before tweaking the currency settings on eBay. Here are some important reminders to help you make the most of your efforts:
- Always log in to your account first before making any changes. This way, the new settings will apply to any future transactions you initiate from your eBay account.
- Input the correct country or residence information in your eBay account. It will allow eBay to show you products and currency options relevant to a particular country or area.
- You can add several shipping addresses to your eBay account to set the currency depending on your location. This is helpful if you travel a lot.
- Remember, every bid and transaction of your product listings will occur in your selected currency. So, carefully choose the currency for your products, as it may lead to lower funds outlay considering the value of the converted currency. It may also include conversion fees.
The conversion rates for currencies that eBay shows you aren’t actually the amount a customer will pay in their local currency. Instead, it is based on the “mid-market rate” that depends on the banks’ rates and the average buying rate for a product listing. So, where is the actual conversion amount? It will show at your billing step if you’re paying with your credit or debit card.
How to Change Currency on eBay in a Browser: Step-by-Step
The currency you see on your eBay account is based on the location of the marketplace. If you’re in the UK, you will have prices in GBP, in the U.S. it will be in dollars, and so on.
Fortunately, eBay lets customers and sellers modify the default currency to their preferred one. This is helpful for customers to estimate the actual order total and search and add items to their carts according to their budget.
Follow the below steps to change currency on eBay.
Step 1: Log in to Your Account
First, visit eBay’s official website and log in to your account with your credentials. This step is crucial to ensure that the currency change will apply to your future transactions as well.
Step 2: Search for Your Item
On the homepage, search for the item on the top bar and wait for the results to load. Then, click on the four horizontal boxes icon on the top-left corner of the screen (located next to Best Match).
Step 3: Choose Customize
Select Customize in the drop-down menu.
Step 4: Choose the Currency
The next screen will give you multiple options to customize your search.
Check or uncheck the box next to Convert prices to the United States dollar and choose Apply Changes to complete the process. These changes will apply to all your future transactions.
Note: eBay generates the currency based on the default location of your account. So, the platform will customize it according to your country.
How to Change Currency on the eBay App: Steps to Follow
You can change currency on the eBay app installed on your mobile phone. It is way more efficient than the browser method and only takes a few seconds.
Here is how you can change currency on eBay on your iPhone.
Step 1: Log in to the App
First, open the eBay app on your phone and log in with your credentials.
Step 2: Tap My eBay
Now, choose My eBay from the bottom menu.
Step 3: Select Settings
Scroll down to the Settings option and tap it.
Step 4: Scroll to Country or Region
On the Settings menu, choose Country or Region.
Step 5: Change Your Location
You will have an auto-detect toggle on the next screen. Tap it to disable the feature and scroll down to find the country that you want to change currency to on eBay.
Select it and return to the app’s homepage to see the products’ currency finally switched from the default USD.
Steps to Change Your eBay Account’s Currency to British Pound Sterling
If you’re living in the UK, there is no point in having every product displayed in USD on eBay. So, you can change your local currency to GBP to view every product listing.
Here is how buyers and sellers can change currency on eBay to GBP:
- Open the eBay app and navigate to the My eBay option in the bottom menu.
- Then, select Settings and tap Country or Region on the next screen.
- Toggle off the Auto-detect option and choose United Kingdom from the list below.
- Return to your homepage, and the currency for every product will be changed to GBP.
You can change currency on eBay back to USD anytime.
Steps to Change Your eBay Currency to Canadian Dollars
You can also change your eBay account’s default currency to Canadian Dollars and view every product’s price accordingly. For that, follow the below steps:
- Launch the eBay app on your smartphone and log in to your account to ensure that the currency change settings will be saved in your account.
- Now, tap My eBay from the bottom menu and scroll to Settings.
- Choose Country or Region from the General section in the Settings screen.
- Disable the Auto-Detect toggle and select Canada from the list underneath.
- Return to your homepage and shop in Canadian Dollars without any difficulties.
Of course, you can change this setting back to USD whenever you like.
How to Change Currency on eBay to Australian Dollars: What to Do
eBay sellers and buyers can also convert the currency of their product listings into Australian Dollars. To do that, open the eBay app on your device and follow the below steps:
- Log in to your account and tap My eBay from the bottom menu.
- Then, select Settings on the next screen.
- Scroll to Country or Region and tap it.
- Now, turn the Auto-Detect toggle off and select Australia from the list below.
- Return to your eBay homepage to see the currency changed into Australian Dollars.
You can change currency on eBay back to USD whenever you want.
How to Change Your eBay Currency to Indian Rupees: Steps
Living in the subcontinent usually means you’ll struggle to benefit from many features on most e-commerce platforms. However, fortunately, that’s not the case when converting USD to Indian Rupees on eBay. After all, the country has a population of more than 1.4 billion, and you can’t ignore this massive market as a seller.
So, whether you’re a buyer or a seller, here is how you can change your default currency on eBay to rupees:
- First, open the app and log in to your eBay account.
- Tap My eBay and select Settings.
- Then, choose Country or Region and disable the Auto-Detect feature.
- Select India from the list of countries.
- Go back to eBay’s homepage and shop in rupees without any worries.
Can You Change Currency on eBay Without an Account?
eBay enables sellers and buyers to change the default currency to their local one from the app’s settings. But what if you’re just scrolling on eBay without an account? Can you change the products’ prices to your local currency? Well, the answer is yes. eBay lets all registered and non-registered users change the platform’s currency without signing in.
But remember, any change you make without logging in to your account will apply just for now. They won’t be saved for the future. But if you still want to change currency on eBay without an account, follow the below steps:
- Open the eBay app and tap on My eBay.
- Now, don’t click Sign in, but scroll down to Settings. Select it.
- Tap Country or Region.
- Turn the Auto-detect toggle off and select any country from the list.
- Return to your homepage, and the currency will be changed.
How to Change Currency on eBay: Wrap Up
eBay facilitates sellers and buyers from every corner of the world to do business in the easiest way possible. The platform makes every step a breeze; currency conversion is just an example. You can change currency on eBay with or without an account. Doing so will help you understand the total amount you will be charged for a product on checkout.
A Country or Region option appears in the Settings menu. Click on it, disable the Auto-detect toggle, and choose the country you want to change the currency. Alternatively, you can search for an eBay product on the website, click Customize, and choose the currency depending on your selected region. That’s it!
Now that you know how to change currency on eBay, you will always know the exact amount an item is before you decide to purchase it. If you’re a seller, you will be able to better serve your customers by knowing how to change currency on eBay.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Sky Motion/Shutterstock.com.