- HBO Max is a popular streaming service subscription that is available directly from HBO or from other streaming services like YouTube, Amazon, Hulu, etc.
- You may wish to learn how to cancel your HBO Max subscription if you no longer want to watch the content, are saving money, or are switching to a different service.
- Follow the instructions below and update your subscription in the settings.
HBO Max is one of the most extensive streaming services currently available, with a massive offering of mainstream and indie releases. This includes some of their original cinematic and television content but also content from other services as well. In fact, its wide variety of content is what makes HBO Max a popular streaming service.
But what if you’re not satisfied with what HBO Max has to offer or if the subscription is too pricey? Perhaps you finished watching all the series you wanted to, or you want to switch to another streaming service? Whatever the reason, you need to know how to cancel your HBO Max monthly subscription.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to cancel your HBO Max monthly subscription using the most common cancellation methods. Though all of these methods are viable, we highly advise that you cancel your subscription using the same method you used to sign up.
#1: Canceling on the HBO Max Website
Canceling your HBO Max monthly subscription via the streamer’s website is probably the most viable method. It allows you to cancel or aid in the cancelation of your subscription regardless of how you signed up. For this method, however, we’ll assume that you’re watching HBO Max from your web browser. Here’s how to cancel HBO Max via the web:
Step 1: Access Subscription Management
Start your web browser, go to HBOMax.com, and log into your user account using your credentials. This will take you to the Who Is Watching profile selection screen. Select yours or any other adult-designated profile. Children’s profiles have parental control implementation that prevents access to subscription management.
Selecting a profile will open the said profile’s HBO Max homepage. Click on your Profile Image in the top-right corner of the page, and select Settings, to open the Settings page. Once the Settings page has loaded, scroll to the Subscription section and click on Manage Subscription. This will open the My Account page containing your billing information.
Step 2: Cancel Your Subscription
Click on Cancel Subscription located on the right side of the My Account page. A confirmation page will appear, asking you to confirm whether you really want to cancel. Click on Proceed to Cancellation to open up the cancellation survey. The survey is entirely optional, so you can skip it if necessary.
If you change your mind about the cancelation, simply go back, close the browser window, or click on No, Never Mind to quit. If you’re adamant about canceling your subscription, click on Yes, Cancel Subscription to cancel your HBO Max.
Step 3: Use Your Remaining Subscription
Please note your Next Billing Date during the cancelation process. Make sure to cancel your HBO Max subscription at least 24 hours before the next billing date. Also, after you’ve canceled your subscription, you can continue to use the service for the remainder of your paid cycle—which coincides with your next billing date.
An important note: Any monthly discount you might enjoy (like in our example) will become invalid if you unsubscribe. It won’t be available if you resubscribe in the future.
#2: Canceling via the HBO Max App
The ensuing set of instructions will show you how to cancel your HBO Max subscription using the HBO Max smartphone app. The steps are the same on both smartphones and tablet devices, but the app layout might differ. Here’s what you need to do:
Step 1: Enter Subscription Management
Start the HBO Max app on your smartphone, and tap on your profile badge at the top-right corner of the screen. This will lead you to your profile screen, from which you can access app settings. To do so, touch the Settings icon (the little cog icon) located at the top-right corner of the screen.
Once the Settings screen has popped up, tap on the Subscription option to open the Subscription screen. From there, tap on Manage Subscription. This action will open up the My Account page via your device’s web browser.
Step 2: Cancel Your HBO Max Subscription
This step is quite similar to Step 2, described in the previous method. Once the My Account page has loaded on your smartphone’s web browser, scroll down and tap on Cancel Subscription. Depending on the device and/or the platform you’re using, you may or may not receive the confirmation message.
In the case you do, simply tap on Proceed to Cancellation to open the cancelation survey. In case you don’t receive any confirmation inquiry, the website will take you directly to the cancelation survey.
As with the previous step, filling out the survey is entirely optional. To proceed and cancel your subscription, tap on Yes, Cancel Subscription, located at the bottom of the screen. Your HBO Max is now canceled.
Step 3: Use Your Remaining Subscription
Just like with the previous method, mind the next billing date, and unsubscribe accordingly. You can continue to use the service until the expiration of your current billing cycle. It’s also important to note that simply uninstalling HBO Max from your smart device won’t cancel your subscription.
#3: Cancel Through a Service Provider
HBO Max is available through other streaming and live TV services, like Hulu, Roku, YouTube TV, and others. If you subscribed to HBO Max through any third-party service provider, you’d have to cancel your subscription through them.
To do so, you’ll have to log in to an account tied to a particular provider service to manage your subscription. Alternatively, you can contact the provider’s customer support. Here’s how you can cancel HBO Max through different services:
Cancel Your Subscription on Roku
There are two ways you can cancel HBO Max through Roku: either through your Roku device or the provider’s web page. To cancel HBO Max through your device, do the following:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote;
- Use the remote D-pad to highlight HBO Max;
- Press the Star button to access the Options menu for the selected channel;
- Navigate to Manage Subscription, then select Cancel Subscription;
- A confirmation message will appear; to confirm, select Cancel Subscription;
- Select Done.
To cancel your HBO Max subscription on the Roku website, do the following:
- Open the web browser on your computer, and go to the Roku website;
- Click Sign-in and enter your credentials to access your Roku account;
- Navigate to the Manage Account section, and click Manage your subscriptions;
- Find your HBO Max subscription on your subscription list;
- Click Unsubscribe to cancel the subscription.
Cancel Your Subscription on Amazon
If you subscribed to HBO Max through Amazon, you’ll have to log into your Amazon Appstore to unsubscribe. Here’s how:
- Start the web browser on your computer and Sign in to your Amazon account to access Amazon Appstore subscriptions;
- Select Your Apps, then Digital content and devices;
- From there, go to Manage to access Your Subscriptions;
- Find and deactivate auto-renewal for HBO Max to unsubscribe.
To cancel your HBO Max through Amazon Prime, do the following:
- Start the web browser on your computer and Sign in to your Amazon account;
- Once you’re logged in, click on your profile name in the top-right corner of the page;
- Choose Your Account from the dropdown menu to access Your Account page;
- Next, navigate to Prime Video Channels listed under the Memberships and subscriptions section;
- Under Your Channels, click Cancel Channel(s) next to the HBO Max;
- This will open the action confirmation page, asking you whether you want to unsubscribe to HBO Max;
- Since you’re already prepaid to HBO Max through Amazon, the service will allow you to Turn off auto-renewal. Click that option, and your subscription won’t be renewed at the end of the current billing cycle.
Cancel Your Subscription Through Hulu
Hulu is a diverse streaming platform that offers plenty of other third-party subscriptions as add-ons. To exclude your HBO Max subscription from Hulu, and minimize your Hulu subscription, do the following:
- Start the web browser on your computer and Sign in to your Hulu account;
- Once on the Hulu home screen, click the name associated with your Hulu account in the top-right corner;
- Click Account in the dropdown menu to load the Manage Your Account page;
- Click Manage Add-Ons on the Your Subscription section;
- The Add-ons screen will appear, displaying your HBO Max subscription, among others;
- Click on the black Check Circle next to HBO Max, and it will change to the plus sign;
- Click on Review Changes at the bottom of the page to display the Subscription Changes page;
- Your HBO Max add-on should be flagged for removal; click Submit.
- The You’re all set screen will appear, indicating that all changes were successfully saved.
Cancel HBO Max: Additional Tips
- Take note of your billing cycle since HBO Max automatically renews your subscription each month. The first charge usually occurs during the sign-up or once the free trial (if any) concludes. You should aim to cancel your subscription at least 24 hours prior to renewal to avoid charges for the subsequent month.
- If you unsubscribe in the middle of your billing cycle, the streaming will remain available for the remainder of said billing period.
- Deleting your HBO Max app from your smart devices doesn’t deactivate your subscription. To cancel the HBO Max subscription, follow the steps described in our guide.
Cancel HBO Max: Final Thoughts
Canceling your HBO Max subscription isn’t difficult. However, you need to know the right process, which depends on the method you used to initially subscribe. Make sure that you’re canceling your subscription properly and not just deleting the app from your smart device. HBO will notify you once the subscription has been successfully canceled.
- How to Delete Your Facebook Account Permanently
- How To Cancel Nintendo Online in 6 Easy Steps (With Photos)
- How To Cancel Crunchyroll Membership in 7 Easy Steps (With Photos)