Apple is one of the few companies in the world that pretty much everyone knows about. Their branding is ubiquitous, their products are revolutionary, and their leadership is incredibly consistent.
Still, despite all of this, Apple hasn’t had a great year (along with most of the other tech stocks in the world). For many investors, it may be time to check up on their investments, starting with checking out Apple’s share price.
Today, we are going to find out just how much Apple stock is, plus answer a few other questions surrounding the tech giant. Let’s get started!
How Much is Apple Stock?
Apple’s share price has seen some fluctuations, although the company seems to be doing okay, especially when compared to its tech sector peers. On this same day, May 17th, of last year, Apple’s share price hit a high of $149.77, showing some promising growth. Throughout 2022, the tech sector has universally done poorly, with most estimates (like the NASDAQ) averaging a nearly 30% decrease in value since the start of the year.
Historically, Apple has been the go-to stock for sustained growth, so hopefully, the post-COVID and supply chain woes won’t terribly disturb that streak.
Why is Apple Stock Down So Much?
The story of Apple’s rough year isn’t solely tied to the company’s health. As we near the end of the year, it’s ever-apparent that 2022 wasn’t anything like 2021, at least regarding stock gains. For Apple, it’s a combination of global headwinds, industry worries, and a shaky economic outlook.
A major factor has been supply chain issues, which have disrupted the production and distribution of Apple’s products. Inflation has also been a factor, as it has led to higher costs for the company. The strong U.S. dollar has also had an impact, as it has made Apple’s products more expensive for customers in other countries. Additionally, global events such as wars and political instability have negatively affected Apple, as they can disrupt production and trade.
Altogether, these factors aren’t unique to Apple, but they are impacting the core business of the company. Additionally, problems in China and further production strains (examples include the Foxconn riots and the subsequent PR issues) add pressure during a year when the pressure has been steadily rising.
What is the Highest and Lowest That Apple Stock Has Ever Been?
Despite Apple being down in 2022, it is doing pretty well in relation to other companies. AMD and NVIDIA, for example, are down close to 50% year-over-year, beating Apple in a race to the bottom that nobody really wants to win. Apple has certainly seen worse days. In fact, nearly 22 years ago (September 29, 2000), Apple got hit with a loss of over 50% of its share price in a single day. Even then, Apple rallied, despite the dot-com bubble popping.
The “bubble” is a little different nowadays, but Apple will likely be ok. The lowest that the stock has ever been was sometime around when it first IPOed (initial public offering), sitting right around the 10-12 cent mark (adjusted for splits). Yes, cents. The highest it’s ever been was on January 3rd, 2022, reaching a closing price of $180.43.
Looking that these numbers is a reminder that things aren’t all that horrible, even if things could be better. Apple is only a bit more than a year away from its all-time high (ATH) and would have a long way to go before it gets anywhere close to its lowest.
How to Find the Price of Apple Stock
Finding the price of Apple is pretty easy. Here are two of the best ways to find the most reliable information regarding stock prices.
To find the price of Apple stock using Google Finance, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser and go to www.google.com or click here.
- In the search bar, type “Apple stock” and press Enter.
- Scroll down to the Market Summary section. The current price of Apple stock will be displayed in large black numbers.
To find the price of Apple stock using Yahoo! Finance, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser and go to finance.yahoo.com or click here.
- In the search bar at the top of the page, type “Apple” and press Enter.
- Click on the “Apple, Inc.” result that appears.
- The current price of Apple stock will be displayed at the top of the page, along with other relevant information about the stock.
It’s always a good idea to check multiple sources to get a more accurate idea of the current stock price. Additionally, using the “ticker” that is assigned to a company when it is listed on the stock market can be more accurate with less-known companies that could have similar names to other companies. Apple’s “ticker” is AAPL and it’s listed on the NASDAQ, the second largest market in the United States.
Reviewing the Essentials
Apple’s stock price is floating around the $170 mark, but that number is likely to change. Here are some things to remember about the company from the past year:
- Apple’s stock price is down just under 5% from its all-time high (ATH) of $180.43 on 1/3/22. Other companies in the tech sector have seen much larger dips over the last year or so.
- The primary reasons prices are down are global supply chain issues, economic worry, and a tech bubble that is in the midst of bursting. Apple is influenced by all of these.
- Despite the problems, Apple has reported strong financial results in the last few quarters, showing that they are still competitive in the market and aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- The Best Apple Chargers: Reviewed and Ranked
- Apple VR Headset vs. Meta Quest Pro: Which Will Be More Powerful?
- How Much is AMD Stock?
The image featured at the top of this post is ©dennizn/Shutterstock.com.