- iPhone offers various options to save and recover your passwords.
- iCloud Keychain will initially ask you if you want to automatically generate a safe password.
- You can view your saved passwords by asking Siri.
Your iPhone makes it easy to store passwords and other sensitive information but what happens if you need to access the saved passwords?
To find your saved passwords on an iPhone, you can check the settings app on your phone or view them through an iPhone browser (Safari, Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox). Alternatively, you can view your saved passwords by asking Siri.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on everything you should know about saving passwords and how to find the saved passwords on your iPhone. Also, I’ve answered the frequently asked questions that relate to passwords on an iPhone.
Everything You Need to Know about Saving Passwords on an iPhone
Cybersecurity professionals typically advise internet and mobile users to take a number of precautions to lessen their exposure to hacking and data theft. These include:
- Creating unique and complex passwords
- Keeping passwords to yourself
- Using security features on your smartphones
- Regularly run the updates on your operating systems and apps to ensure you have the most recent security updates.
However, considering the many online accounts you have today, and the complexity of some passwords, it’s not possible to remember all of them. But not to worry, it happens even to the best of us.
This is why the iPhone offers various options to save and recover your passwords when you need them.
When you first set up your iPhone, you are asked if you want to use iCloud Keychain to secure your passwords. If you said yes, then all of the passwords are on the iCloud keychain and can be accessed on iPhone browsers.
Typically, most saved passwords on your iPhone are saved and stored in the settings app or the iPhone browsers. Let’s look at each of these areas in depth.
iCloud Keychain will initially ask you if you want to automatically generate a safe password when signing in to a website that requests you to input your password. Besides, iCloud Keychain will create and save a password if you decide to do so.
However, you can still save passwords on iPhone browsers when logging in to websites. Read on to understand better.
How to Save Passwords on iPhone Browsers
You can also save your old passwords to iCloud Keychain from Safari or any other apps. If you want to save passwords of the websites that you visit on a Chrome or Safari browser, you should:
- Open Safari or any other browser on your iPhone
- Open a website
- Enter the login credentials
- Once you login into the particular website, a menu appears on the bottom of the screen, asking if you want to save the password for that site
- Choose Save Password
- In the case of Chrome, after you login in to a particular website, you can also tap on the Key icon on the left side corner of the browser
- Then select the option Save
How to Set Up Auto-Fill on Safari
Besides, you can use AutoFill in the Safari app to have user names, logins, and information about credit cards automatically filled in. Here is how to do it:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down and click on Safari
- Under General select AutoFill
- Make sure the Use Contact Info is toggled on, and your name should appear underneath it
- To add credit card information, tap on Saved Credit Cards
- Select Add Credit Cards
- You can either use the Camera or fill in the information manually
- When you finish, tap on Done
- You can always tap on Edit to make changes, update, or delete your credit card information
Now, you can start making payments on websites that don’t give you the option of Apple Pay
Often, passwords are easily transferable from one iOS device to another, if all your devices are connected or synced to a shared iCloud. Additionally, you can manually locate and copy the passwords and we’ll show you how.
How To Enable The iCloud Keychain
- Go to your phone’s Settings app, tap on Apple ID (which has your name on it) then select iCloud.
- Tap on Keychain and toggle it on.
- Now, whenever you create a new password, you can find it in the iCloud Keychain.
How to Manually Save Passwords to iCloud Keychain
- Tap on Settings
- Scroll down and select Passwords
- Hit the +(Plus button) in the right corner on the page
- Then add your Website, Username, and Password
- When you’re finished tap on Done
Now, the next time you go back to that particular website, the iCloud Keychain will automatically enter the login information.
How to Save Passwords for Applications on an iCloud Keychain
If you want to save the passwords of the applications that are on your iPhone, you should:
- Open the application
- Enter the logins of the app
- When you log in, you’re asked if you want to save the password in the keychain
- Select the option – Save Password
In this way, you can save the passwords for applications, and you can use iCloud Keychain to automatically fill in your passwords on apps
How to Enable Autofill Passwords
Besides, you can use AutoFill passwords on your iPhone when you are logging in to apps or websites on your iPhone browsers. The user names, logins, credit card information, and passwords will pop up and are automatically filled. Here is how to enable Autofill Passwords:
- Open the Settings application
- Scroll down and tap Passwords
- Turn on the Autofill Passwords
How to Edit or Delete Passwords on The iCloud Keychain
You may use the Settings app to access accounts, alter existing passwords, or delete credentials you no longer require. Here’s how:
- Launch the Settings application
- Scroll down and select Passwords
- You can be prompted to enter your Passcode, Touch ID, or Face ID
- You’ll see a list of accounts with their login information
- Tap an individual account to view more information about it
- Here you can change the password, Set up the verification code, or Delete the password
3 Ways to Find Saved Passwords on an iPhone
Now that you know how to save passwords on your iPhone, let’s proceed to learn how to find the saved passwords on your phone. Depending on the iPhone you have, there could be three different ways that you can find and manage your passwords.
View Saved Passwords from Your iPhone Settings
If you’re running iOS 11 or newer models, finding your saved passwords located on your iCloud keychain is easy. Here is how:
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and tap Passwords
- You’ll be prompted to authenticate yourself
- You’ll see a list of all accounts that you’ve set up through your keychain
- Tap on any on the list to reveal the password, and long press on it to copy it
You can also delete logins from this screen by swiping left on the login and tap delete.
Check The Saved Passwords Through an iPhone Browser
If you ever needed to retrieve a password from an iPhone browser, you may have found the process to be more difficult than it should be. Here are are quick ways to check the saved passwords on any of your iPhone browsers:
Check Saved Passwords on Safari
- Open up Settings
- Scroll down and tap on Safari
- Scroll through to Passwords, then tap on it to view the saved passwords
- Enter your passcode or use Touch ID to authenticate.
- Tap on any accounts to view passwords.
Check out the below video from LoFi Alpaca for steps on how to find your saved passwords in your iPhone’s settings and in the Safari app.
Check Saved Passwords on Chrome
Here’s how to check them:
- Go to the Chrome app on your iOS device
- Press the three dotted icons on the bottom right corner of the page
- Click Settings, followed by Passwords.
- You can see a list of accounts and passwords
- Tap on an individual account
- Tap on the eye icon to reveal the saved password
- You’ll be asked to authenticate yourself to see the password
Tap Edit if you want to change a saved password
Check Saved Passwords on Mozilla Firefox Browser
- Open your Mozilla Firefox browser
- Find the menu option(three lines), usually at the bottom right of the screen
- Using the menu panel, select Settings
- Go to the Logins & Passwords section of the Privacy section.
- Touch and hold on the password field to display a menu, then select the option to display your saved password.
Ask Siri for Your Saved Passwords
One way to find your saved passwords on an iPhone is to ask Siri. In the release of iOS 12 in 2018, Apple made it possible to ask Siri for your passwords and save time digging it.
- Unlock your device
- Engage Siri by saying, “Siri, show me my passwords”
- Siri will pull up a list of all the stored passwords on your device after you Face ID
- You can also ask Siri to pull up passwords for a specific app or website by saying, “Siri, show me my password for Facebook,”
- A screen will appear that displays the stored accounts and passwords that you requested
What is The Best Way to Save and Find Passwords on an iPhone?
You don’t need to have the best memory to keep your accounts and passwords secure. For most people, finding saved passwords is undoubtedly a blessing.
It makes it simple to input the password without having to remember it. If necessary, you can pull up your credentials and input them on connected iOS devices by using auto-fill on any site.
The best method to save or find passwords may vary depending on your iPhone. Whichever method suits you, you can follow the steps in this guide, and you’ll be able to save and view your saved passwords at any time.
Overall, asking Siri for your passwords is the best method for most people. It’s simple, straightforward, and not time-consuming.
- 9 Steps To Resetting Network Settings On Your iPhone
- Apple Books vs Kindle – Which One Is Best?
- Dreamhost Vs Hostgator Hosting – Which is best for your website?
The image featured at the top of this post is ©goffkein.pro/Shutterstock.com.