- The Hisense U8G features a quad-core processor with 4K upscaling
- Features Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG
- Supports Dolby Atmos, DTS, IMAX Enhanced
- 120Hz refresh rate suitable for gaming on PS5 and Xbox Series X
- Google Assistant built-in
The Hisense U8G is a high-performing 4K HDTV that the company released in 2021. Within a short time, the Hisense U8G replaced its predecessor, Hisense H8G, for all the right reasons. This 4K TV also offers exceptional features, most of which were not present in the previous models. For instance, you can enjoy the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, FreeSync variable refresh rate support, and 4K @ 120Hz gaming feature for PS5 and Xbox Series X.
The Hisense U8G comes in two screen sizes: 65” and 55”. The 55” one is available for $998 on Amazon, while the 65” one is priced at $1,014. Both Hisense U8G variations work on the Android 10 smart interface. Due to this, you will have a wide range of streaming apps available on this smart TV. Our review of the Hisense U8G will discuss the best deals, features, specifications, and pros and cons of this TV.
Best Deal Today
- Exclusive ULED technologies
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Quantum Dot wide color gamut
- Ultra Motion and 120Hz native refresh rate
- Dolby Vision HDR picture and Dolby Atmos sound
- IMAX Enhanced (combines digitally remastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies)
Hisense U8G Overview
The Hisense Group is a Chinese appliance and electronics manufacturer. The company is not only one of the fastest-growing, but they are also one of the largest manufacturers of 4K televisions in the world. If you want to buy the Hisense U8G in 2022, you need to know some important features of this HD TV. It will allow you to be more confident in your purchase decision. Here is a quick breakdown of all the key information you need to know about the Hisense U8G:
Release Date and Price
The Hisense U8G was released in 2021 at the price range of $1,000 to $2,000. But, of course, the 55” TV was priced lower than the 65” one, allowing you to take advantage of a bigger screen with a slight price increase.
The Hisense U8G replaced the previous model, Hisense H8G, released in 2020. Currently, the Hisense U8G itself is replaced by the Hisense U8H, which has been carrying its legacy.
Some exceptional Hisense U8G features include the following:
- Great app selection
- Average app smoothness
- Cast Capable
- USB Drive Playback
- USB Drive HDR Playback
- HDR in Netflix
- HDR in YouTube
|Resolution||3,840 x 2,160 pixels 4K UHD|
|Dimensions||55″: 48.5 x 30.7 x 10.2 in (with stand) – 48.5 x 28.2 x 3.9 in (without stand)65″: 57.1 x 35.6 x 13.6 in (with stand) – 57.1 x 33.1 x 4.1 in (without stand)|
|Weights||55″: 39.2 lbs (with stand) – 38.1 lbs (without stand)65″: 56.0 lbs (with stand) – 53.4 lbs (without stand)|
|Panel Type||VA LCD Quantum Dot Display|
|Backlight Type||Full Array Backlight (FALD)|
|Refresh Rate||Native 120Hz panel|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)||Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG|
|Image Processing||4K Upscaling, Noise reduction|
|Audio System||2.0 channels (20W output power)|
|Audio Features||Dolby Atmos, DTS, IMAX Enhanced|
|Connectivity||Built-in WiFi (802.11ac), Bluetooth, Ethernet port|
|Connectivity Features||HDMI CEC|
|Ports||HDMI: 4 (side) [2 x HDMI 2.1, 2 x HDMI 2.0] / eARC Support in HDMI 3USB: 2 (side) [1 x v3.0, 1 x v2.0]Digital Audio Output (Optical): 1 (rear)RF Connection Input (Antenna/Cable): 1 (side)Analogue Stereo Audio Output: 1 (side)Ethernet Port: 1 (rear)AV Input (Video/L/R): 1 (side)Service: 1 (rear)Serial: 1 (rear)|
|Operating System||Android TV 10.0 (2021)|
|Smart Features||Web browser, Google Play App Store|
|Voice Control Support||Amazon Alexa: Yes (needs external Alexa device) Google Assistant: Yes (built-in)|
Hisense U8G Review
The Hisense U8G is still a good catch in the market today. A big chunk of its success is due to its impressive local dimming feature, outstanding contrast, and high peak brightness. So if you love to watch TV shows and play games in the dark, the Hisense U8G is a great choice. Not only in dark rooms, but this 4K HDTV also works efficiently in bright rooms.
However, not everything is as good as it seems. This TV has a narrow viewing angle, meaning you can’t enjoy a wide seating arrangement with the Hisense U8G, as the image may degrade from certain angles. However, despite this, it offers great gaming features and low input lag, making it an excellent choice for gamers, movie lovers, and anyone who enjoys watching television.
The Hisense U8G Is very similar to the 2021’s H9G. However, this model is slightly thicker than the previous Hisense models, measuring 3.8”, even thicker than the U7G. It also has a curvy back, enough to be mounted on the wall easily. The Hisense U8G also features metal borders, thin bezels, and multiple ports at the back (divided in two).
The TV’s power connector is present separately on the left side, while the port layout is almost the same as the U7G. Its stands or legs are metal, sturdy enough to keep the TV stable on different surfaces.
The remote of the Hisense U8G is almost the same as the previous models. It is made of plastic and rubber buttons, which have a good feel. To use the remote with voice commands, you need to connect it to Bluetooth.
Overall, the Hisense U8G may not seem the most luxurious or fanciest 4K HD TV, but it surely has an impressive build quality.
The Hisense U8G features a quad-core processor with 4K upscaling and noise reduction features. Whether you watch a movie in 720p, 1080p, or 4K, this model performs greatly in the most advanced resolutions without any noticeable artifacts.
It performs impressively when the source material is of very high quality. However, if not, the Hisense U8G’s noise reduction feature will cover it up. But it is better to use this feature when necessary as it may affect the original image quality.
Brightness / Contrast
The Hisense U8G comes with 1500 nits brightening ability. Its SDR brightness may vary to 1,300 nits over a 10% window, which is still enough to give you a high-quality video. Regarding the HDR brightness over 10%, the Hisense U8G may offer 1,585 nit, which is even greater than the standard brightness rating of the model.
This shows the U8G is an extremely bright TV with outstanding contrast. However, while the TV can get pretty bright, sometimes it may not show accurate contrast. This means that it may display HDR brighter than the original. So while the picture may look amazing, it will be far from the original.
The Hisense U8G Offers the best viewing angles of about 25 to 30 degrees maximum. If you move further from this range, your TV image quality may suffer considerably. This means the Hisense U8G will only be ideal for a small group of people, despite having a large screen display.
However, the U8G handles the reflections better than the previous models. It can easily lower reflections in bright and dark rooms equally.
Hisense U8G Pros and Cons
Here are some quick pros and cons to remember when thinking about purchasing the Hisense U8G:
- Exceptional contrast
- High peak brightness
- Impressive reflection handling
- Outstanding response time
- Excellent black uniformity
- Low-resolution content is upscaled without any issues
- Image quality may degrade when viewed from a certain angle
- The stutter can be slow in low frame-rate content
- Dirty screen effect when watching sports
- 4K ULED: Like 4K great, but better. The 65U8G has our exclusive ULED technologies. They boost color, contrast, brightness, motion we could go on. It’s the TV your old TV wants to be..Aspect...
- Quantum Dot Wide Color Gamut: See over one billion shades. Quantum Dot produces purer, richer, more brilliant and accurate colors than a regular LED TV. We could get into how it works. But it’s a...
- Ultra Motion and 120Hz Native refresh rate: Ultra Motion removes the digital ‘noise’ that can affect moving objects. Whether it’s a bird, a plane or the man of steel, everything you see is...
- Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos: Dolby Vision HDR picture and Dolby Atmos sound are cinema technology for your home. They provide amazing realism you can see and hear in every scene. Power Supply AC 120V,...
- IMAX Enhanced: IMAX Enhanced brings the cinema experience home. It combines digitally remastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies with the best consumer products and streaming platforms....
Hisense U8G: Is It a Buy?
After going through the pros and cons of the Hisense U8G, it might have become clear whether you want to buy the TV. However, if you are still confused, here are some reasons why you should or should not buy the Hisense U8G:
Buy it if…
- You want a high-performing 4K HD TV for gaming since the TV comes with low input lag, excellent response time, and supports 4K @ 120Hz gaming from the Xbox Series X or PS5. Not only that, but the TV supports variable refresh rate technology for flawless streaming.
- You love watching movies in a dark room. The Hisense U8G offers deep blacks, an excellent contrast ratio, and a local dimming feature, which are extremely important to deliver bright contrast and minimal blooming in various environments.
Don’t buy it if…
- You want to enjoy movies and games with many people since the Hisense U8G offers a narrow viewing angle. If you try to watch the video from a wide angle, you may experience degraded image quality.
- You expect stutter-free videos. Because of the fast response time, you may expect stutters in slow panning shots.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Ismail Sadiron Pictures/Shutterstock.com.